ImageImageImageImage

The Future is bright

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Re: The Future is bright 

Post#81 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:
I am not defending the "stay put", but this current roster is constructed constructionally to improve in 2020/21. Mozgov and Fournier coming off of the books, and all that.

But we Magic fans will learn a lot about the future when watching Fultz next year. There really is no other narrative to this off season.

Mozgov only has one more season on his contract and Fournier 2 years. but I feel there will be a HUGE step will be taken next season and the following.... with the opportunity of cap space to fill in the gaps in the upcoming offseasons.

Where is this cap space coming from if you re sign Vuc & TRoss? The contracts those 2 sign will outweigh Moz's money so looking like next time for FA would be 2021.

Wasn't going to sit there and make calc of salary cap.... therefore upcoming seasons with the intentions of being the 2021 as drsd suggested.... but leaving it open because filling in the gaps does not necessarily mean signing large contracts as well. MCW filled in the gap for us. haha
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#82 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Where is this cap space coming from if you re sign Vuc & TRoss? The contracts those 2 sign will outweigh Moz's money so looking like next time for FA would be 2021.

More immensely, Orlando basically cannot afford to sign Vučević and Ross FOR THIS YEAR. The salary structure of this team really cannot allow for both to be inked, without a large structural change.

Trading for Fultz made the hard even harder. How Ross is a Magician next year escapes me.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#83 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:40 pm

drsd wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Where is this cap space coming from if you re sign Vuc & TRoss? The contracts those 2 sign will outweigh Moz's money so looking like next time for FA would be 2021.

More immensely, Orlando basically cannot afford to sign Vučević and Ross FOR THIS YEAR. The salary structure of this team really cannot allow for both to be inked, without a large structural change.

Trading for Fultz made the hard even harder. How Ross is a Magician next year escapes me.

I think if you resign Vuc you have to resign TRoss. Otherwise you’re taking a HUGE step back. I don’t see a way 1 of them is on this roster without the other.

With that said we’d be putting a ton in fultz and JI AG growth baskets.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Mozgov only has one more season on his contract and Fournier 2 years. but I feel there will be a HUGE step will be taken next season and the following.... with the opportunity of cap space to fill in the gaps in the upcoming offseasons.

Where is this cap space coming from if you re sign Vuc & TRoss? The contracts those 2 sign will outweigh Moz's money so looking like next time for FA would be 2021.

Wasn't going to sit there and make calc of salary cap.... therefore upcoming seasons with the intentions of being the 2021 as drsd suggested.... but leaving it open because filling in the gaps does not necessarily mean signing large contracts as well. MCW filled in the gap for us. haha

I mean MCW filled a gap as a body that was better than Grant. Other than that the dude is still a fringe NBA player
drsd
RealGM

Post#85 » by drsd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:I think if you resign Vuc you have to resign TRoss. Otherwise you’re taking a HUGE step back. I don’t see a way 1 of them is on this roster without the other.

I cannot see how this is financially possible.

Orlando is already on the hook for $83,507,048 (after renouncing Grant). Add $2,597,500 for the #16 rookie = $86,104,548.

That is for this roster:
Augustin/Fultz
Fournier/rookie
Isaac/Frazier
Gordon
Mozgov/Bamba

In addition to Vučević and Ross, note that Grant, Martin, Iwundu, Birch, and Carter-Williams are all themselves FAs now.

With a salary cap at $109M, this means that Orlando only has $23M available to sign 6 or 7 players. Vučević himself will consume all (or most of) that number, meaning only LLE deals are available to complete the roster. There is simply no cash available to sign Ross to even MLE-type money.

EDIT: this post really hammers home how valuable it will be for Orlando to trade Augustin. His 7.2M nicely allows for a roster upgrade of Martin and Grant, and should leave spare cash to upgrade Iwundu.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#86 » by pepe1991 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 am

drsd wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:I think if you resign Vuc you have to resign TRoss. Otherwise you’re taking a HUGE step back. I don’t see a way 1 of them is on this roster without the other.

I cannot see how this is financially possible.

Orlando is already on the hook for $83,507,048 (after renouncing Grant). Add $2,597,500 for the #16 rookie = $86,104,548.

That is for this roster:
Augustin/Fultz
Fournier/rookie
Isaac/Frazier
Gordon
Mozgov/Bamba

In addition to Vučević and Ross, note that Grant, Martin, Iwundu, Birch, and Carter-Williams are all themselves FAs now.

With a salary cap at $109M, this means that Orlando only has $23M available to sign 6 or 7 players. Vučević himself will consume all (or most of) that number, meaning only LLE deals are available to complete the roster. There is simply no cash available to sign Ross to even MLE-type money.

EDIT: this post really hammers home how valuable it will be for Orlando to trade Augustin. His 7.2M nicely allows for a roster upgrade of Martin and Grant, and should leave spare cash to upgrade Iwundu.

You can always strech Mozgov so starting $83M would become $71M ( his streaching would be $4M to 4 years ).
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#87 » by MoMM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:21 pm

drsd wrote:With a salary cap at $109M, this means that Orlando only has $23M available to sign 6 or 7 players. Vučević himself will consume all (or most of) that number, meaning only LLE deals are available to complete the roster. There is simply no cash available to sign Ross to even MLE-type money.

Can't we go over the cap since we have bird rights for Vuc, Ross and Birch?
drsd
RealGM

Post#88 » by drsd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:31 pm

MoMM wrote:
drsd wrote:With a salary cap at $109M, this means that Orlando only has $23M available to sign 6 or 7 players. Vučević himself will consume all (or most of) that number, meaning only LLE deals are available to complete the roster. There is simply no cash available to sign Ross to even MLE-type money.

Yes, as the luxury tax for that season will reportedly be set at $132 million. But that means only LLE players to finalise the roster.
drsd
RealGM

Post#89 » by drsd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Phoenix Suns Get: Timofey Mozgov, 2019 first-round pick

Orlando Magic Get: T.J. Warren

BR trade idea

I like this trade for two reasons. 1) Warren replaces Ross and is a known quantity over a 16th pick. 2) Orlando actually saves 4M a year on this.

Yes it hurts the FA splash that could be made in the 2020/21 off-season. But for now, this trade allows Orlando to resign Iwundu and Birch, and maintains all the flexibility needed to upgrade the PG-disaster in Grant (perhaps Briscoe or Carter-Williams) and upgrade Martin. All whilst allowing for Vučević to "get paid."

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm

drsd wrote:

BR trade idea

I like this trade for two reasons. 1) Warren replaces Ross and is a known quantity over a 16th pick. 2) Orlando actually saves 4M a year on this.

Yes it hurts the FA splash that could be made in the 2020/21 off-season. But for now, this trade allows Orlando to resign Iwundu and Birch, and maintains all the flexibility needed to upgrade the PG-disaster in Grant (perhaps Briscoe or Carter-Williams) and upgrade Martin. All whilst allowing for Vučević to "get paid."

this is a 2k trade decline off type of trade.. No way Phoenix takes on salary just to get the 16th pick in a ho hum draft.
drsd
RealGM

Post#91 » by drsd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:07 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:this is a 2k trade decline off type of trade.. No way Phoenix takes on salary just to get the 16th pick in a ho hum draft.

Assuming Tyler Johnson opts in to his 19M, the Suns is still only at 80M in committed salaries. Whether for Mozgov or another boated contract, I absolutely expect the Suns to acquire a draft asset by absorbing a bad contract. Let's not forget that Mozgov is expiring and that will have huge value at the trade deadline.

On the other side of this deal: I think Warren has value and could be an interesting replacement for Ross.

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#92 » by MoMM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:23 pm

drsd wrote:

BR trade idea

I'd prefer to take my chances in the rookie with a low salary and let Mozgov's contract expire than trade for TJ Warren.
drsd
RealGM

Post#93 » by drsd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:26 am

MoMM wrote:I'd prefer to take my chances in the rookie with a low salary and let Mozgov's contract expire than trade for TJ Warren.

If the goal is to go for a mini-Max SG in the 2020/21 off-season, this makes a great deal of sense. For example, this is what the Magic could look like with Jimmy Butler.

Fultz/Carter-Williams/Briscoe
Butler/Langford
Isaac/vet-FA
Gordon/vet-FA
Vučević/Bamba/rookie

That starting five coupled with extreme bench depth, that could be a 60+ win team.

In particular, Fultz capacity to work the PnR with Vučević, and Vučević's passing to get to Butler, this allows Isaac and Gordon to simplify their games to 3-and-D roles.

I like this team!

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#94 » by p0peye » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:06 pm

You know what guys, the more I think about it, more sure I am that we will at this point rely on internal growth stimulated by winning seasons like the one we just had. Therefor, I'm thinking management may be offering up to 4/90 to Vučević and 4/52 to Ross, maybe on declining contracts.

We want Aaron, Isaac, Bamba, Fultz and our future first round picks to be nurtured playing meaningful games, striving to win.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#95 » by thelead » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:39 pm

The future is as bright as Fultz’s outlook. It all rides on him right now.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#96 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:43 pm

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:

Yes, as the luxury tax for that season will reportedly be set at $132 million. But that means only LLE players to finalise the roster.

We have 9 players on contracts, we have two draft picks which makes it 11+ Vuc and Ross ( with one we can go over the cap)= 13 which is team minimum+ Briscoe from part of the mle =14 which is league average minimum + two way contracts.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#97 » by Ducklett » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 pm

thelead wrote:The future is as bright as Fultz’s outlook. It all rides on him right now.

Extremely poor team building if this is the plan.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Ducklett wrote:
thelead wrote:The future is as bright as Fultz’s outlook. It all rides on him right now.

Extremely poor team building if this is the plan.

Him or free agent in 2021
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#99 » by fendilim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am

I have a feeling that we will come back with almost the same roster next year, and management will say ``well, we added Fultz.. blahblah``
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by zaymon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 am

fendilim wrote:I have a feeling that we will come back with almost the same roster next year, and management will say ``well, we added Fultz.. blahblah``

We dont have much financial flexibility right now. Bringing Ross and Vucevic on team friendly deals and successfully rehabing Fultz is our realistic best case scenario. If Fultz is healthy we have chance to be contender fo many years, if he is not we cut him or bring on cheap deal to rehab further.

Return to Orlando Magic