ImageImageImageImageImage

The day after...

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

BrooklynNetsFan
Freshman
And1: 9

The day after... 

Post#1 » by BrooklynNetsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

I'm sure last night was pretty rough for all the fans...how is everyone feeling now? We've had about 13 hours to dissect everything and think about we where go from here. I can't lie and say that my stance on D'Angelo hasn't changed a little bit. If the organization has a chance to upgrade his position...I think I'd be on board. I also wouldn't be totally upset if Dinwiddie is the starter...but only if we can land TWO top flight free agents at other positions.

I've also been wondering if the organization will make a play for Anthony Davis next summer also? If they don't make any major acquisitions this summer...they will have enough to out right sign him. Just some thoughts of mine the next day.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Re: The day after... 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:13 pm

BrooklynNetsFan wrote:I'm sure last night was pretty rough for all the fans...how is everyone feeling now? We've had about 13 hours to dissect everything and think about we where go from here. I can't lie and say that my stance on D'Angelo hasn't changed a little bit. If the organization has a chance to upgrade his position...I think I'd be on board. I also wouldn't be totally upset if Dinwiddie is the starter...but only if we can land TWO top flight free agents at other positions.

I've also been wondering if the organization will make a play for Anthony Davis next summer also? If they don't make any major acquisitions this summer...they will have enough to out right sign him. Just some thoughts of mine the next day.

haha the game thread on here veered off topic as soon as the score was 40-17. I think collectively we're all good, but I can only speak for myself. I was just happy to see the Nets play playoff basketball on national TV.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:53 pm

BrooklynNetsFan wrote:I'm sure last night was pretty rough for all the fans...how is everyone feeling now? We've had about 13 hours to dissect everything and think about we where go from here. I can't lie and say that my stance on D'Angelo hasn't changed a little bit. If the organization has a chance to upgrade his position...I think I'd be on board. I also wouldn't be totally upset if Dinwiddie is the starter...but only if we can land TWO top flight free agents at other positions.

My position on Russell is unchanged and it is unfathomable to me that you would say we should upgrade his position or that you lost faith in him because of a loss to a singificantly more talented team.

Russell posted 21/7/4 this year, made the allstar team, carried us december through february and is the main reason we were even in those playoffs. before you go away throwing Russell so dinwiddie can start, he is a list of players 23 and under, all-time, who have posted 20-7 seasons:

Lebron
Oscar Robertson
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Grant Hill
Dwayne Wade
Isiah Thomas (pistons)
Russ westbrook
Penny Hardaway
Bob Cousy
Devin Booker
Allen IVerson
Magic Johnson
KEvin Johnson
Damon Stoudamire
Stephon Marbury

i think any play for davis would need to be a trade, i doubt they roll over the cap and if they do im not sure Davis would be there as he is likely to be traded and a team trading for him would probably be likely ot bring him back
BrooklynNetsFan
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#4 » by BrooklynNetsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Prokorov wrote:

My position on Russell is unchanged and it is unfathomable to me that you would say we should upgrade his position or that you lost faith in him because of a loss to a singificantly more talented team.

Russell posted 21/7/4 this year, made the allstar team, carried us december through february and is the main reason we were even in those playoffs. before you go away throwing Russell so dinwiddie can start, he is a list of players 23 and under, all-time, who have posted 20-7 seasons:

Lebron
Oscar Robertson
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Grant Hill
Dwayne Wade
Isiah Thomas (pistons)
Russ westbrook
Penny Hardaway
Bob Cousy
Devin Booker
Allen IVerson
Magic Johnson
KEvin Johnson
Damon Stoudamire
Stephon Marbury

i think any play for davis would need to be a trade, i doubt they roll over the cap and if they do im not sure Davis would be there as he is likely to be traded and a team trading for him would probably be likely ot bring him back

So do you still feel that way if the Nets are forced to match a offer sheet of 4 years $117?

And obviously there are only two available point guards that I feel would be a upgrade from Russel....and that's Kyrie and Kemba. One of those two paired with another major free agent would work out. I'm not confident they can do any of that...but I'm not comfortable paying Russel nearly $30 million a year being the second best player behind Caris.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm

BrooklynNetsFan wrote:So do you still feel that way if the Nets are forced to match a offer sheet of 4 years $117?

It will never get to the point where the Nets need to decide on matching an offer sheet. The Nets stand to lose a ton of cap flexibility if they allow Russell to prove his value and sign a sheet. They stand to gain nothing by letting him prove his worth and having it come back on a smaller deal.

Russell's cap hold is 21 million. if it turns out his value is less then he thinks, and he signs a sheet for say 4/80, we don't gain cap room. If we let Russell prove his worth, and he IS worth the max or close, then we have just a few days to sign him and lose 5-7 million in cap space because we were forced to sign Russell before spending our cap.

The best use of our cap is to agree to a deal with Russell (for whatever it takes) and agree that he wont sign it until we use all of our cap space (Similar to Joe Harris last year). This maximizes our cap space. The only scenario where this is NOT the clear and best path is the super unlikely scenario were 2 max superstars want to team up here, in which case, we would need to trade or renounce Russell

That aside, to awnser your questions, i would be nothing short of thrilled if we learned the nets were giving Russell a 5 year max deal, let alone 4/117 (id do cartwheels)

And obviously there are only two available point guards that I feel would be a upgrade from Russel....and that's Kyrie and Kemba. One of those two paired with another major free agent would work out. I'm not confident they can do any of that...but I'm not comfortable paying Russel nearly $30 million a year being the second best player behind Caris.

Levert is not better then Russell, or at least he certainly was not this year, regardless of what happened in a small 5 game sample in the playoffs. Russell had a better year then levert, is younger, and has a higher ceiling. in either event its irrelevant, unless 2 stars want to team up here you max russell and dont think twice about doing it
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The day after... 

Post#6 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 pm

I’m not going to lie. I’m starting to soak in the reality the season is over and I feel proud about some of my predictions.

I’m not sure if many will remember but I said 2019 will be the year that the narrative of the Nets franchise changes and it has.

- FO has been extended.
- Tsai has officially taken the public figure ownership role as he slides into full time ownership by 2021.
- LeVert, Allen, D’Lo, Harris, Dinwiddie took huge leaps.
- Kenny got better as a coach. He’s got playoff experience.

- Musa successfully developing in Long Island on a G-League championship contender. The last team to develop a G-League contender in the Atlantic was the 905 Raptors which has translated to improved Van Vleet, Siakam, Caboclo, etc. Nets following the same footsteps with Kurucs, Musa, Williams and Pinson.

Last but not least...we’ve dispelled the “fans at Barclays” notion by showing what Barclays can feel like with a special fun team with an edge.

Fans will support a team that plays hard, plays together and doesn’t back down which has now become our franchise identity. Not even just a catchy phrase. The entire organization is committed to sustainability and won’t take any crap.

I think I nearly shed a tear seeing Russell on cable networks with sponsorship commercials from big time companies. That was what I thought Deron was going to do.

This is what I envisioned when I thought of the Nets in Brooklyn. I’m definitely nervous for this summer but I couldn’t be more proud of this team and everyone involved.

Credit goes to the Russian for saying enough is enough and turning the sinking ship around. He could’ve went for Colangelo, he could’ve went for Karnisova in Denver but he believed in RJ Buford and Pop’s endorsement of Sean da gawd Marks and it has been a beautiful slow build to the top.

Nets are legitimately relevant nationally and I think we ensured ourselves another Christmas game with this Sixers rivalry.

So, I can’t wait to see what heist Marks pulls next at the draft. Can he steal a Top 5 pick out of a rabbit hat?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#7 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Russell is going nowhere. Marks is playing the long game. Slow-grow with youth, peak when they peak, and add a Russell buddy when they’re in their primes. Marks is looking for Spurs like longevity. You don’t dump high potential youth to bring in a win-now guy who always gets banged up (Kyrie).
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Russell is going nowhere. Marks is playing the long game. Slow-grow with youth, peak when they peak, and add a Russell buddy when they’re in their primes. Marks is looking for Spurs like longevity. You don’t dump high potential youth to bring in a win-now guy who always gets banged up (Kyrie).

this exactly... same reason you wont see them bring in some bulky talller bigman in a knee jerk to us getting beat inside by philly. they will stick with their philosiphy and continue to look at it as a sustainable 15 year roadmap, not a year to year thing
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:43 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Russell is going nowhere. Marks is playing the long game. Slow-grow with youth, peak when they peak, and add a Russell buddy when they’re in their primes. Marks is looking for Spurs like longevity. You don’t dump high potential youth to bring in a win-now guy who always gets banged up (Kyrie).

This is why I'm perplexed that anyone thinks its a question as to whether or not the Nets retain him.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#10 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:43 am

Long term play is to get KAT here. Him and Russell are buddies.

Minnesota is poorly managed and saddled with Wiggin's contract.

If he demands a trade it would probably be to here. If we can accumulate some young assets and picks for them that would be ideal.

Russell/Levert/KAT in their primes would be Godly.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:20 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Long term play is to get KAT here. Him and Russell are buddies.

Minnesota is poorly managed and saddled with Wiggin's contract.

If he demands a trade it would probably be to here. If we can accumulate some young assets and picks for them that would be ideal.

Russell/Levert/KAT in their primes would be Godly.

That's what I've been thinking too. Lets keep building but keep the year that KAT can opt out of his contract in focus. I absolutely think 100% he would leave Minnesota to come to play with Russell in Brooklyn in 2023-24.

flavio_93
Junior
And1: 419

Post#12 » by flavio_93 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:39 pm

My opinion is the same as it was before the playoffs started. I want us to resign as many players as we can. I love this team. We should also have the cap space to sign a big free agent and if some nobody named Durant would choose the better ny team we would be deadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#13 » by Aussienet3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

I'm completely lost that some people would rather have Kemba over D'lo. That is not an upgrade. We are desperately in need of a stretch 4 and another big. Not an undersized guard!
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#14 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:I'm completely lost that some people would rather have Kemba over D'lo. That is not an upgrade. We are desperately in need of a stretch 4 and another big. Not an undersized guard!
Age aside, Kemba is an upgrade over Russell. However, it's a small enough upgrade that when you factor in age, chemistry, reputation (abandoning a young guy that was supposed to be your core, not gonna look good with some FAs), that it makes no sense.

You go after Kemba/Kyrie If You think they can play WITH Russell, not as a replacement.

That is, unless getting Kyrie brings you Durant.

Even Russell hinted at that during his exit interview.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#15 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:I'm completely lost that some people would rather have Kemba over D'lo. That is not an upgrade. We are desperately in need of a stretch 4 and another big. Not an undersized guard!

Kemba and Dlo can play together, it doesnt need to be 1 or the other. Kemba wa sa top 10-15 player this year a local kid, and a perfect fit here.

i dont think we need a stretch 4, i think we have the shooting, i think we need high end talent. id prefer it to be a SF/PF since we have less talent there but we need it wherever we can get it
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#16 » by Aussienet3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm not a fan of Kemba. Just like i'm not a fan Lowry or IT. I don't believe its an upgrade. Let someone else over pay for Kemba then watch him be on the trade block in 2 years time because that team isn't winning. He was a winner in college I get that. But so was Melo. I just don't see the upside of bringing in an undersized point guard who shoots to much/first. Thats what Shabaz did.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#17 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 am

SpeedyG wrote:
Age aside, Kemba is an upgrade over Russell. However, it's a small enough upgrade that when you factor in age, chemistry, reputation (abandoning a young guy that was supposed to be your core, not gonna look good with some FAs), that it makes no sense.

You go after Kemba/Kyrie If You think they can play WITH Russell, not as a replacement.

That is, unless getting Kyrie brings you Durant.

Even Russell hinted at that during his exit interview.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app

I can see Dlo wanting more money than they want to give him and him moving on because of it. Who could blame him for signing the biggest contract he can get?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#18 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:13 am

Prokorov wrote:

Kemba and Dlo can play together, it doesnt need to be 1 or the other. Kemba wa sa top 10-15 player this year a local kid, and a perfect fit here.

i dont think we need a stretch 4, i think we have the shooting, i think we need high end talent. id prefer it to be a SF/PF since we have less talent there but we need it wherever we can get it

He's only 6'1 while he's a dynamic scorer bigger guards work out better. They're harder for other teams to stop and they can do more for you on defense with length (get in passing lanes, block shots, get rebounds).
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 pm

kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

He's only 6'1 while he's a dynamic scorer bigger guards work out better. They're harder for other teams to stop and they can do more for you on defense with length (get in passing lanes, block shots, get rebounds).

I'd prefer a bigger gaurd as well... but there are outliers and at the end of the day he would be the best option if Kawhi, tobias harris, butler or kyrie did not want to come here.

Kemba is a difference maker. he would make everyone around him better just by the fact that you cant gaurd him with one player

Return to Brooklyn Nets