ImageImageImageImage

Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#101 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Umm go to the FA thread. Josh Robbins and others confirmed, the Magic never offered him.

then i have to imagine he was asking more than we were prepared to offer. He may have told them he wanted the full MLE, which if healthy he should easily command.

This makes no sense. He might have asked the Magic for more... But signs with Denver today for 2 mill.

Denver isnt relying on him like we would, and IT had his breakout season under Denver's head coach. they have an existing relationship
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#102 » by Rocketsbaby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 am

tiderulz wrote:
Rocketsbaby wrote:
zuppafly wrote:So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?

Rockets fan here. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but Grant is horrible. I mean probably significantly worse than you can imagine. He's not better than Briscoe

do you follow Notre Dame? he didnt play for Houston so wondering how many of his games you watched. not saying you are right or wrong, just wondering. He put dished out almost 5 apg in 22 mpg last year. if he can do that in a backup role while playing a defense, I will take that from a backup PG. we have other players on the 2nd unit that are not afraid to shoot the ball, so he wont really be relied on to score, just to pass the ball.

Actually yeah he was great at Notre Dame. It just hasn't translated at all... his numbers are really, really bad. He just doesn't have the skillset to play PG in this league. Maybe he pulls the whole Chauncey Billups total career turnaround but that's quite the longshot...

My "Rockets fan here" was because the OP said Bulls fans weren't able to give unbiased opinions...
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#103 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 am

Rocketsbaby wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Rocketsbaby wrote:

Rockets fan here. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but Grant is horrible. I mean probably significantly worse than you can imagine. He's not better than Briscoe

do you follow Notre Dame? he didnt play for Houston so wondering how many of his games you watched. not saying you are right or wrong, just wondering. He put dished out almost 5 apg in 22 mpg last year. if he can do that in a backup role while playing a defense, I will take that from a backup PG. we have other players on the 2nd unit that are not afraid to shoot the ball, so he wont really be relied on to score, just to pass the ball.

Actually yeah he was great at Notre Dame. It just hasn't translated at all... his numbers are really, really bad. He just doesn't have the skillset to play PG in this league. Maybe he pulls the whole Chauncey Billups total career turnaround but that's quite the longshot...

My "Rockets fan here" was because the OP said Bulls fans weren't able to give unbiased opinions...

what numbers are you referring to specifically? because some of his numbers are actually very decent
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#104 » by Knightro » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Rocketsbaby wrote:Actually yeah he was great at Notre Dame. It just hasn't translated at all... his numbers are really, really bad. He just doesn't have the skillset to play PG in this league. Maybe he pulls the whole Chauncey Billups total career turnaround but that's quite the longshot...

He wasn't good at all as a rookie with the Knicks and was below average last year on a blatantly tanking Bulls team, but his numbers as a second year player were actually very solid on a playoff Bulls team.

.119 WS/48, 1.57 RPM, +2.6 Net Rating, .366 from three.

If he plays at that level, he'd be one of the better backups in the NBA.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#105 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 am

I would totally show Jerian the final minute and a half of this video.. "This is what we want and need" lol... that dunk thoughhhhhhh haha...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#106 » by drsd » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:24 am

Watched one highlight clip to see what I thought of his game, and two things caught my attention.

1) His 3-ball is with a high and fast release. It looks beautiful.

2) He has this fake jump-shot pass that looks super effective to pull defenses out to free up the Center.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#107 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 pm

drsd wrote:Watched one highlight clip to see what I thought of his game, and two things caught my attention.

2) He has this fake jump-shot pass that looks super effective to pull defenses out to free up the Center.

his size definitely helps with making those passes as well. Hope we haven't seen the best of him and the best is soon to come. Would love another random pickup that turns into a quality player... by giving them another opportunity to succeed in a better environment.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#108 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:Watched one highlight clip to see what I thought of his game, and two things caught my attention.

his size definitely helps with making those passes as well. Hope we haven't seen the best of him and the best is soon to come. Would love another random pickup that turns into a quality player... by giving them another opportunity to succeed in a better environment.

Yeah, I hope Bamba can roll like Lopez for those passes!
drsd
RealGM

Post#109 » by drsd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am

Comprehensive story on Grant today:

Jerian Grant looks like a perfect fit for the Orlando Magic and the team they are building. But he has to take advantage of his own versatility.

OMD link
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#110 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm

To me Grant is in that CJ Watson / Chris DuDu tier so I'm tempering my expectations a little bit. He could be solid, or he could be miserably bad.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#111 » by zuppafly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Instincts wrote:
zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
No, I’m saying that those who rush off to the trading team’s forum and come back 10 mins later declaring x, y or z about a player should do more research. Fans aren’t always the best source of info.

For example, if the Magic traded Vuc, there’s a number of posters on here who would basically say to the acquiring team’s fans that’s he’s terrible. He isn’t and has value in certain areas, on certain teams in certain roles but you’re not going to hear that from all fans.
It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I recall thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.

I liked what I saw from Grant last year. He stood out as a solid young player in the limited games I saw.

Front office obviously would like to see more of Grant.
Well, sorry mods, but this looks like a worthy bump.
Lessons we should all learn: we don't know more about players from other teams than the fans from those other teams.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#112 » by fendilim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Perhaps Grant was a place holder for Fultz? Athletic long pg that has no shot. Haha /s
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#113 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:To me Grant is in that CJ Watson / Chris DuDu tier so I'm tempering my expectations a little bit. He could be solid, or he could be miserably bad.

I had to +1 myself on this one.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#114 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm

zuppafly wrote:
Instincts wrote:
zuppafly wrote:It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I recall thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.

I liked what I saw from Grant last year. He stood out as a solid young player in the limited games I saw.

Front office obviously would like to see more of Grant.
Well, sorry mods, but this looks like a worthy bump.
Lessons we should all learn: we don't know more about players from other teams than the fans from those other teams.
Agreed. please see my postings on Biyombo from other fan bases that had seen him play. All of them were spot on.
#2A
#Adopt
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#115 » by OrlandO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 pm

I wonder if he'll trick a fourth team into thinking he's a point guard...
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#116 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm

To be fair, most people from start thought he is garbage.
When you are backup for Cameron Payne, you can't be good
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#117 » by drsd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:29 pm

pepe1991 wrote:To be fair, most people from start thought he is garbage.

To be disgustingly reflective of my personal comments, at the time, I thought this was all great.

Today: Grant is not an NBA-capable player. That Carter-Williams, of all players, could be found from there netherlands, Grant sucks.

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#118 » by Furinkazan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:34 pm

not true
a lot of people were so happy about the deal It reminded me times when I got bashed cause I didnt like Duhon signing so I rather kept my mouth shut.
also I remember some people here thought Grant will win starter position.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#119 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 pm

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:To be fair, most people from start thought he is garbage.

To be disgustingly reflective of my personal comments, at the time, I thought this was all great.

Today: Grant is not an NBA-capable player. That Carter-Williams, of all players, could be found from there netherlands, Grant sucks.

Only fool does not change opinon when presented with new evidence. We live, we learn, still die as fools :lol:
He played well against us last year, but so did Alex Len and many others :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#120 » by FFBlitzace » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 am

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1725413

I didn't read everything in that 27 page thread, but the takes there seem to be a few degrees warmer than the ones from this thread.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.

Return to Orlando Magic