RJ Barrett

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#781 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:15 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevin Porter Jr has a better career either, both scoring SG lefties

I really like Porter Jr. Skillwise I think he has the best combination of skills out of any wing in this draft. But he does have that JR Smith effect and what I mean by that is I think JR Smith couldve been anything he wanted to be. Look at the total package. Can dribble drive, athletic, can hit just about any shot that exists at any angle with a hand in his face and create that shot as he sees fit. But never took his career seriously and you know how history played out. Perhaps it's too early to say but Porter didnt have the best production even while having a large diversity of skills, just like Smith and then got into some trouble.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up better as you say but if he didnt would you be surprised either? I think hes a great value for a team picking in the teens but is a risk in the lottery.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#782 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:44 pm

KPJ value is low only because of those minor "lack of character issues" which already has lead to a lack of playing time at least in the role he thought he deserved.
His iso is elite and his athleticism and stroke are solid.
That being said the odds of him being a #1 option are not any better than Barrett for different reasons & both project to be #2 options.
I'd actually give the edge to RJ being a decent #1 option due to his work ethic if he finds his stroke... Porter on the other hand has immaturity issues but still could prove incredible value if he falls, but good luck getting someone that high on themselves to become coachable...when the track record is a big red flag in that dept.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#783 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Stillwater wrote:KPJ value is low only because of those minor "lack of character issues" which already has lead to a lack of playing time at least in the role he thought he deserved.
That being said the odds of him being a #1 option are not any better than Barrett for different reasons & both project to be #2 options.
I'd actually give the edge to RJ being a decent #1 option due to his work ethic if he finds his stroke... Porter on the other hand has immaturity issues but still could prove incredible value if he falls, but good luck getting someone that high on themselves to become coachable...when the track record is a big red flag in that dept.

Exactly. And guess what. Itwouldn't be the first time somebody like him became a great player or a bad player. I'm gonna put his floor at someone everybody knows is talented around the league but doesnt take seriously when it comes to winning.
I'm sure that sounds bad but your Zach Randolphs of the league are this player, your Tyreke Evan's are this type of player. Still good players and then from that floor he could attempt to prove me wrong.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#784 » by wesleyt95 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Stillwater wrote:KPJ value is low only because of those minor "lack of character issues" which already has lead to a lack of playing time at least in the role he thought he deserved.

Yea I’d say he’s about as big of a gamble as Zach LaVine was, KPJ has more of an nba ready body tho
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#785 » by wesleyt95 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:14 pm

I think he’s just the diva type that craves the spotlight, but I do think he’ll get that in the nba and has the skills to back it up. Some guys become way better pros than they ever were in college, some are just built for the nba...
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#786 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:30 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:

I think he’s just the diva type that craves the spotlight, but I do think he’ll get that in the nba and has the skills to back it up. Some guys become way better pros than they ever were in college, some are just built for the nba...

Most successful ones like that become that way after league respect is earned and most that come in expected to get respect have a harder road to success. I give him a decent chance of sticking in the league, but not confident he will be exceptional if he doesn't get humble and put the work in
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#787 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Kevin Porter Jr. has elite talent, it's the BBIQ and overall character that's the question mark...if he can stay centered and focused he's an all-star caliber player eventually.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#788 » by wesleyt95 » Wed May 1, 2019 12:56 am

clyde21 wrote:Kevin Porter Jr. has elite talent, it's the BBIQ and overall character that's the question mark...if he can stay centered and focused he's an all-star caliber player eventually.

The money should motivate him by year 4 at the very least, his ceiling is as high as anyone in this draft
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#789 » by King Ken » Wed May 1, 2019 1:39 am

KPJ is easy to overrate. BBIQ does matter a lot in the NBA
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#790 » by Crives » Tue May 7, 2019 11:48 pm

How does Barret compare to Ben Simmons coming out of college?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#791 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 am

Crives wrote:How does Barret compare to Ben Simmons coming out of college?

Ben Simmons might've still been the best player in this draft.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#792 » by clyde21 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:52 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

no
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#793 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:45 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Zion says high.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#794 » by Crives » Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Zion says high.

But really, how does Barret compare to Simmons? Athleticism, handles, passing..
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#795 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:54 am

Crives wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Zion says high.

But really, how does Barret compare to Simmons? Athleticism, handles, passing..

Simmons is the better athlete, has better handle and is the better passer. They are very different kind of players. I would give RJ the edge in jumper, versatility of scoring and his intensity.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#796 » by King Ken » Fri May 10, 2019 11:58 am

R.J. and Simmons are both very good prospects but they need time.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,020

Post#797 » by NotMyKawhi » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

RJ is going to the Grizz
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#798 » by Upperclass » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

I actually think RJ is headed to Memphis at #2. Its the best possible fit for his talent and upside..
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,951

Post#799 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Smoke rings say Knicks. Subject to change.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#800 » by Coeur » Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 am

Upperclass wrote:I actually think RJ is headed to Memphis at #2. Its the best possible fit for his talent and upside..

YEAH I think it’s a lot closer than people think. Ja #2 made so much sense for the suns we just got used to seeing those lines

Barrett is really interesting. I think there might be teams that play him as pg. and that may be his best fit. Not the same player but Jamal Murray is so much better because of being used as a pg than I think he’d be right now at sg

Return to NBA Draft