Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#1541 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The general observation that I made during the Philly series is that Russell was missing a ton of shots around the foul line area that he usually cashes in most of the time:

33% on these attempts. In the regular season he made those shots 50% of the time:

Now I don't have a breakdown of how many of the shots he missed in the Philly series were contested, but based on the eye test he got good separation on a decent chunk of these shots and he was just flat out missing them. Couple that with him shooting 7 of 15 at the rim and 32% from downtown and well, that was it. As stated before, I think the dude had the yips and was just pretty much mentally gone in game 5. That won't be an excuse come next season where the bar and expectations will be raised for this team as a whole. He will have to take this experience and work on making sure he does a complete 180 next time we're in the playoffs.

I expect better going forward, so I really am not going to use his first time in the playoffs as some kind of indictment against him. This season was overall a great step forward, but he's got a ton of work to do this summer on his body and adding to his moveset to take another step in the right direction.

small sample vs a much more talented team. we need more data, but on the surface inexperience + being cold. same with joe harris.

Levert was super hot shooting. Carroll was off shooting. in 5 games, it goings to be hit or miss.

thats why you need elite talent like kawhi, guys who are just able to do it 99% of the time hot or cold

Bingo.

What's the difference between a Kawhi taking away shots to DLO vs. LeVert taking away shots from DLO? How will his production excel when off the ball production is pretty much non-existent? I mean we've seen similar situation when another high volume USG player is next to him (i.e. Kobe). Didn't see him excelling at all to be frank...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,831

Post#1542 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
small sample vs a much more talented team. we need more data, but on the surface inexperience + being cold. same with joe harris.

Levert was super hot shooting. Carroll was off shooting. in 5 games, it goings to be hit or miss.

thats why you need elite talent like kawhi, guys who are just able to do it 99% of the time hot or cold

Bingo.

What's the difference between a Kawhi taking away shots to DLO vs. LeVert taking away shots from DLO? How will his production excel when off the ball production is pretty much non-existent? I mean we've seen similar situation when another high volume USG player is next to him (i.e. Kobe). Didn't see him excelling at all to be frank...

I have no issue with Russell's usage going down as LeVert continues to excel or if we add an elite player to play with them. Russell will need to continue to improve as a shooter and playmaker and to become more efficient.

I don't care what happened in Los Angeles, where Kobe's last year was a joke and probably had a hand in stunting Russell's development. It has nothing to do with what is being built here.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1543 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The general observation that I made during the Philly series is that Russell was missing a ton of shots around the foul line area that he usually cashes in most of the time:

33% on these attempts. In the regular season he made those shots 50% of the time:

Now I don't have a breakdown of how many of the shots he missed in the Philly series were contested, but based on the eye test he got good separation on a decent chunk of these shots and he was just flat out missing them. Couple that with him shooting 7 of 15 at the rim and 32% from downtown and well, that was it. As stated before, I think the dude had the yips and was just pretty much mentally gone in game 5. That won't be an excuse come next season where the bar and expectations will be raised for this team as a whole. He will have to take this experience and work on making sure he does a complete 180 next time we're in the playoffs.

I expect better going forward, so I really am not going to use his first time in the playoffs as some kind of indictment against him. This season was overall a great step forward, but he's got a ton of work to do this summer on his body and adding to his moveset to take another step in the right direction.

Obviously it's harder for him to make those shots because playoff defense is a lot more different than regular season defense. When you play teams consecutively. Better scouting, Tighter defense, more talent, can't get away with gimmicks. What we saw are hard evidence of what his capabilities are against higher talent level.

A 5 game sample size isn't hard evidence of anything. Especially coming from a 23 year old. You are being very short sighted and impatient.

Also, a lot of those shots were not a case of where he was trying to pull up with some guy blanketed all over him. He got separation and flat out missed attempts that he usually makes.

Joe Harris, the league's deadliest three point shooter shot 18% from downtown in the playoffs. Is that small sample an indictment of Harris' abilities?

This idea that he is only 23 is laughable. You can pretty much say that to most of our core players and some of them played well. Allen, Caris, Dinwiddie, we all in their first time yet, they played decently well. I mean i'm impress how Allen held himself together, when he is actually younger than DLO against the toughest assignment for our players.

Same with Joe Harris. Ever since he won the 3pt contest teams have been scouting him very well. Even on the regular season. Yet, he isn't much of a problem because he doesn't necessarily need the ball on his hands to be a problem.
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1544 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Bingo.

I have no issue with Russell's usage going down as LeVert continues to excel or if we add an elite player to play with them. Russell will need to continue to improve as a shooter and playmaker and to become more efficient.

I don't care what happened in Los Angeles, where Kobe's last year was a joke and probably had a hand in stunting Russell's development. It has nothing to do with what is being built here.

Again this is my point though. We have 2 other playmakers on this team yet, he has no idea how to play with them. And you really believe getting a THIRD playmaker will somehow make him play better?
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#1545 » by SpeedyG » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:51 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
Save his career? He's about to get a max contract (or something close) - what in the world are you talking about?

I read that and was like

He had a poor showing in the post season but dude made the all star team, put up 21/7/4 on decent percentages and practically carried this team to the playoffs. Now we go from that to him being out of the league? :crazy:

This knock is more on the way his mentality is as a player. He needs the ball in order to show his effectiveness. Yet, he is not capable of breaking down the defense in an isolated situation. Yet, he has majority of the possession (USG% 30+ i.e. James Harden numbers). We've seen his numbers dip pretty low when he is not this high rate of possessions. Which basically question where and how he can fit into a system. Right now it's ok since we are still early on the process and he will get his first big pay check. Yet, I don't see teams giving the kind of money he is expecting if he doesn't show improvements on being productive without being the main center piece of the offense.

Where I'm getting at is basically what happened to Carmelo Anthony and I can see it happening to DLO in a very early stage of his career.
DLo is so far from Carmelo though. Yes he has a high usage rate, but it's mostly pnr situations. Problem is Allen is strictly a lob guy right now. If Allen develops an actual offensive game, Russell would generate so much assists of the pnr game.

He's still not breaking guys down, which is a problem we saw in the playoffs when defenses, intensity and game planning ramps up...but to say he's Carmelo or will be out of the league after his next contract is beyond ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1546 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

Again this is my point though. We have 2 other playmakers on this team yet, he has no idea how to play with them. And you really believe getting a THIRD playmaker will somehow make him play better?

Russell and LeVert co existed just fine to me though. Sacrifices and adjustments will always have to be made the more talented that this team becomes.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1547 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

DeRoma wrote:what's the difference between a Kawhi taking away shots to DLO vs. LeVert taking away shots from DLO? How will his production excel when off the ball production is pretty much non-existent? I mean we've seen similar situation when another high volume USG player is next to him (i.e. Kobe). Didn't see him excelling at all to be frank...

The difference is Kawhi is an elite player and Levert while good is not close to an elite player.

When levert has it going, like he did vs. philly, he can revert Russell to a second option. Levert isnt going to give you 25 ppg on elite efficiency with 38-40% shooting from three over an 82 game season year after year.

Kawhi WILL do that. he will give you that kind of scoring, efficiency, and range shooting. russell wont need to be the guy as often, or ever with Kawhi here...

Further, Kawhi doesnt need high usage or need to initiate the offense to score and impact the game. Levert isnt the offball player Kawhi is. So you can put Russell where he excels, initiating the offense/pick and roll whiel still having kawhi do his damage to the fullest.

Levert/Russell can play together, but still not the fit Dlo and Kawhi would be.

there really is no comparison here
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1548 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

DeRoma wrote:This idea that he is only 23 is laughable.

It isnt an "idea" that he is 23.

It is a fact that he is 23. like he was born in 1996. its not some arbitrary subjective thing. the kid is 23. and if you look at the production of 23 year olds either the last few decades or throughout NBA history... even if you only look at top 5 picks, Russell stacks up favorably to all of them and better then most.

You can pretty much say that to most of our core players and some of them played well. Allen, Caris, Dinwiddie, we all in their first time yet, they played decently well. I mean i'm impress how Allen held himself together, when he is actually younger than DLO against the toughest assignment for our players.

most of those guys are asked to do less. and most of them played poorly, just didnt get the criticism. Kurucs for instance had his numbers down across the board, shot 40% FG and 25% from three and was not able to slow down anyone on philly.

Joe Harris shot 19% from threem 27% from the field and his scoring was almost cut in half.

Dinwiddie played ok and shot well. his numbers were down from the regular season although he did shoot better from three.

Allen played well offensivelt when embiid was off the floor... but philly has little depth and boban is awful outside of stand still post defense.

its a 5 game series vs a much better team. it is too small of a sample size to gauge anything and beyond that these guys are young and its their first series. when russells shot was falling he was going off on spurts and he was really the only guy who did much in the 4th quarter besides levert.

his shot simply wasnt falling. as he gets older, he will develop and find more ways to score when his shot is off... he has already made huge strides in that area from last year to this year
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1549 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:04 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

the evidence he cant play with spencer or levert is not there.

if anything, levert and dinwiddie need to improve their off-ball games, as both are worse off the ball then russell.

and yed, adding a superstar top 3 player like kawhi will help. obviously
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1550 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Adding a Durant or Leonard makes everyone on this roster 10x better. The idea that Russell can't play with anyone else is not even remotely based in fact. Russell had no issues going off ball when LeVert is doing work and vice versa.

Trying to paint Russell as a) some schmuck that will be out of the league after posting an all star season and b) trying to basically paint him as selfish because of his usage, which frankly had to be high this season otherwise the Nets had no chance of winning games with both LeVert and Dinwiddie going down, is utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for being critical of how Russell performed versus Philly, but when we start talking nonsense about dudes being out of the league at age 23 following an all star appearance, that veers into the "you've got an obvious agenda" territory.

DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1551 » by DeRoma » Wed May 1, 2019 2:35 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Adding a Durant or Leonard makes everyone on this roster 10x better. The idea that Russell can't play with anyone else is not even remotely based in fact. Russell had no issues going off ball when LeVert is doing work and vice versa.

Trying to paint Russell as a) some schmuck that will be out of the league after posting an all star season and b) trying to basically paint him as selfish because of his usage, which frankly had to be high this season otherwise the Nets had no chance of winning games with both LeVert and Dinwiddie going down, is utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for being critical of how Russell performed versus Philly, but when we start talking nonsense about dudes being out of the league at age 23 following an all star appearance, that veers into the "you've got an obvious agenda" territory.

It's not base on facts. However, there are more evidence that he can't than he can.

Yes, I definitely see teams not giving him anything below the MLE if he continues to play the he has. Which I can see him refusing to accept which ultimately leads him to china is plausible.

I mean a player who demands the ball at the same time an awful off-the ball player when he is not even that dangerous as an initiator can mean that he is a selfish so that's also is plausible

The fact that you are being overly too sensitive to a statement referring I have other "agendas" especially, when plenty of NBA fans (even a few Nets fans) do have the same perception of how I'm seeing DLO, makes me think you are just forcing an issue. All I'm saying is maybe you should reevaluate your position and take a more objective approach. While only looking at the Nets and see what we can realistically do is the way to push the franchise forward. You also need to evaluate correctly into the comparison of the competition to really see where you stand.

I'm not here insinuating we should not resign dlo because I think if we miss out on Kyrie/Kemba we definitely need push for DLO because thats our best move. However, if we have aspirations on contending in the future. We need to be cognizant of who DLO truly is.

To be perfectly clear my intentions with him did not change. We spoke about this a few months and we concluded that we need to see what his capabilities are during the playoffs. Which we then saw and it was a complete failure. Yet, from what I'm seeing is that you are still giving him another excuse.
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1552 » by DeRoma » Wed May 1, 2019 2:37 am

Prokorov wrote:
DeRoma wrote:what's the difference between a Kawhi taking away shots to DLO vs. LeVert taking away shots from DLO? How will his production excel when off the ball production is pretty much non-existent? I mean we've seen similar situation when another high volume USG player is next to him (i.e. Kobe). Didn't see him excelling at all to be frank...

The difference is Kawhi is an elite player and Levert while good is not close to an elite player.

When levert has it going, like he did vs. philly, he can revert Russell to a second option. Levert isnt going to give you 25 ppg on elite efficiency with 38-40% shooting from three over an 82 game season year after year.

Kawhi WILL do that. he will give you that kind of scoring, efficiency, and range shooting. russell wont need to be the guy as often, or ever with Kawhi here...

Further, Kawhi doesnt need high usage or need to initiate the offense to score and impact the game. Levert isnt the offball player Kawhi is. So you can put Russell where he excels, initiating the offense/pick and roll whiel still having kawhi do his damage to the fullest.

Levert/Russell can play together, but still not the fit Dlo and Kawhi would be.

there really is no comparison here

So you're expecting Kawhi to sacrifice touches so DLO can have James Harden types of touches? GOTCHA!
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1553 » by DeRoma » Wed May 1, 2019 2:38 am

Prokorov wrote:
DeRoma wrote:This idea that he is only 23 is laughable.

It isnt an "idea" that he is 23.

It is a fact that he is 23. like he was born in 1996. its not some arbitrary subjective thing. the kid is 23. and if you look at the production of 23 year olds either the last few decades or throughout NBA history... even if you only look at top 5 picks, Russell stacks up favorably to all of them and better then most.

You can pretty much say that to most of our core players and some of them played well. Allen, Caris, Dinwiddie, we all in their first time yet, they played decently well. I mean i'm impress how Allen held himself together, when he is actually younger than DLO against the toughest assignment for our players.

most of those guys are asked to do less. and most of them played poorly, just didnt get the criticism. Kurucs for instance had his numbers down across the board, shot 40% FG and 25% from three and was not able to slow down anyone on philly.

Joe Harris shot 19% from threem 27% from the field and his scoring was almost cut in half.

Dinwiddie played ok and shot well. his numbers were down from the regular season although he did shoot better from three.

Allen played well offensivelt when embiid was off the floor... but philly has little depth and boban is awful outside of stand still post defense.

its a 5 game series vs a much better team. it is too small of a sample size to gauge anything and beyond that these guys are young and its their first series. when russells shot was falling he was going off on spurts and he was really the only guy who did much in the 4th quarter besides levert.

his shot simply wasnt falling. as he gets older, he will develop and find more ways to score when his shot is off... he has already made huge strides in that area from last year to this year

Allen is 21, LeVert is 24 what's their excuse of playing well?
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1554 » by gigantes » Wed May 1, 2019 3:18 am

Btw, how's the weather on Mars?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1555 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 1, 2019 3:31 am

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Adding a Durant or Leonard makes everyone on this roster 10x better. The idea that Russell can't play with anyone else is not even remotely based in fact. Russell had no issues going off ball when LeVert is doing work and vice versa.

It's not base on facts. However, there are more evidence that he can't than he can.

Yes, I definitely see teams not giving him anything below the MLE if he continues to play the he has. Which I can see him refusing to accept which ultimately leads him to china is plausible.

an all star 23 year old guard averaging 21 and 7 is going to be going to China.

okay. You are clearly operating in bad faith with whatever reasoning you have for your recent string of posts, so I'll leave it be.

DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1556 » by DeRoma » Wed May 1, 2019 11:58 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

an all star 23 year old guard averaging 21 and 7 is going to be going to China.

okay. You are clearly operating in bad faith with whatever reasoning you have for your recent string of posts, so I'll leave it be.

Ok I can accept this response. However, I did base my reasoning on his game, his talent, his advance statistics, his social media, and even his actions.

Being a Huge Nets fan for 20 years, I did try to like him as a player because I watch practically 95% of his game. However, I'm definitely on the pessimistic point of view on him since I'm not a fan of his game. Yet, I do try to think things through and be objective as possible. Hopefully I'm wrong with my criticism with him since what I ultimately want is the Nets to be a dynasty and contend every year. I just don't see him being a winner at all. He reminds me of Deron Williams way too much in terms of what I think he believe is important.
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#1557 » by DeRoma » Wed May 1, 2019 12:04 pm

gigantes wrote:Btw, how's the weather on Mars?

If you mean having an actual real opinion and not falling on the force hype the social media is pushing for? Pretty nice weather.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1558 » by TheNetsFan » Wed May 1, 2019 4:02 pm

I've been going around in circles on DLo's contract value. Early on, I was estimating 4/$80mil-5/$100mil. More recently, I was thinking 5/$130mil. I'm now wondering if the Nets are pointing to Bledsoe's extension & trying to use that as a benchmark. Right now, I'd put DLo & Bledsoe on about the same, borderline allstar tier. DLo should get more due to the age gap, but how much more? Bledsoe was extended at 4/$70mil. Does that set the market? Probably not, but I'm sure Marks will use that as a starting # in negotiations. That brings me back full circle to a $20mil per average. I think that's fair, but in FA everyone gets overpaid.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1559 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 1, 2019 5:00 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I've been going around in circles on DLo's contract value. Early on, I was estimating 4/$80mil-5/$100mil. More recently, I was thinking 5/$130mil. I'm now wondering if the Nets are pointing to Bledsoe's extension & trying to use that as a benchmark. Right now, I'd put DLo & Bledsoe on about the same, borderline allstar tier. DLo should get more due to the age gap, but how much more? Bledsoe was extended at 4/$70mil. Does that set the market? Probably not, but I'm sure Marks will use that as a starting # in negotiations. That brings me back full circle to a $20mil per average. I think that's fair, but in FA everyone gets overpaid.

I have no issue with 20-22 mil per.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#1560 » by SpeedyG » Wed May 1, 2019 5:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I've been going around in circles on DLo's contract value. Early on, I was estimating 4/$80mil-5/$100mil. More recently, I was thinking 5/$130mil. I'm now wondering if the Nets are pointing to Bledsoe's extension & trying to use that as a benchmark. Right now, I'd put DLo & Bledsoe on about the same, borderline allstar tier. DLo should get more due to the age gap, but how much more? Bledsoe was extended at 4/$70mil. Does that set the market? Probably not, but I'm sure Marks will use that as a starting # in negotiations. That brings me back full circle to a $20mil per average. I think that's fair, but in FA everyone gets overpaid.

I have no issue with 20-22 mil per.

Hmm i wonder if Russell is willing to play ball...

Wonder if we can offer him a $124M over 5 year deal. We can basicly start him at about $17M for 2019, lowering his cap hit by $4M from the hold. This SHOULD be the space we need for a Durant MAX.

Now, to make it worth it for Russell, we would give him an Player/ETO after two years.

Why 2 years? Because that would give him 6 years of eligibility, which means his MAX at that point is 30% (instead of the 25%).

Basically, we can resign him to a fair deal that gives him security while maximizing our cap space to go after a Durant.

And if Russell is really balling, he can ETO in 2021, make up the money he "lost" earlier to sign a larger max deal.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09

Return to Brooklyn Nets