Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#881 » by Wizardspride » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#882 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:41 pm

TGW wrote:I truly hope Haskins pans out. He seems to be a really good kid. I just hope he gets to sit all of next season and learn the game and clean up his technique.

I saw this video predraft, and I agreed with pretty much all of it. This guy is pretty solid with his assessment of the QBs (his assessment of Haskins at the end of this video is spot on IMO).

;t=264s

I don't disagree with a thing he said. All his issues are fixable. I think he's extremely polished and advanced being only a one year starter. I also think sitting, at least to begin the season is preferable.

He's not the best QB in the draft. That's definitely Kyler Murray who's incredibly twitchy and explosive and just as accurate as Haskins. He's simply on another level. However Haskins can be a top 5-10 QB in the league for a long time. Not at the Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers level, but just a notch below. His upside is someone like Matt Ryan.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#883 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Not going to lie, I knew nothing about this guy. But after reading about him I’m hoping he can win the starting LG spot.
Benches over 530 lbs, squats 655, 38 reps @pro day
2017 didn’t give up a sack in over 500 snaps (pass play snaps)
Graduated 3.7 gpa degree in law enforcement if I recall correctly
3 time all academic list
Started a none profit organization that rescues dogs
2 time team captain

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#884 » by tontoz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:48 pm

You really have to be a beast to be in the NFL. Almost everyone is an athletic freak unless they are a quarterback or a kicker, and sometimes even those guys are great athletes.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#885 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Dat2U wrote:The Redskins did great. The only thing better would of been if they could have pulled off getting Parris Campbell too. I think he's a potential stud but McLaurin will be a solid player as well.

It would have been too good to be true if we got both Campbell and McLaurin. I was surprised at how big McLaurin is for someone who patterns his game after DeShawn Jackson. And interesting that he was used as the deep threat moreso than Campbell. From the video I've seen, McLaurin was a real team leader type, and I think the Skins could really use that at WR. Also at WR, Kelvin Harmon was a great value pick - a big guy at 6'2.5, 220 lbs, he was very productive and while he's not a speed guy, one analyst said he had the best double-moves of any WR in the draft and great hands, so I'm happy with what they did at WR - they might both be starting in 2020. It's easy to overrate a draft right after it happened, but wow... I don't think I've ever been this happy with a draft. Every pick seemed like a productive player with physical explosiveness. Ideally, we don't pick a RB in the 4th, but Bryce Love was a 1st round talent before the ACL - averaging 8 yards a carry in a tough conference, so I'm not going to question that.

I'm looking at players to get developmental time in 2019, so they can win in 2020. 2019 should be used as a rebuilding year. It would be nice if Snyder/Allen bought into that, but they don't. But the good thing about them not buying into that was that allowed them to ok the trade for Sweat. It's gonna suck not having next year's 2nd rounder, but that was a good trade. The only reason to watch the 2019 season is to track the development of the young players. That puts Gruden in a tough situation.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#886 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:The Redskins did great. The only thing better would of been if they could have pulled off getting Parris Campbell too. I think he's a potential stud but McLaurin will be a solid player as well.

It would have been too good to be true if we got both Campbell and McLaurin. I was surprised at how big McLaurin is for someone who patterns his game after DeShawn Jackson. And interesting that he was used as the deep threat moreso than Campbell. From the video I've seen, McLaurin was a real team leader type, and I think the Skins could really use that at WR. Also at WR, Kelvin Harmon was a great value pick - a big guy at 6'2.5, 220 lbs, he was very productive and while he's not a speed guy, one analyst said he had the best double-moves of any WR in the draft and great hands, so I'm happy with what they did at WR - they might both be starting in 2020. It's easy to overrate a draft right after it happened, but wow... I don't think I've ever been this happy with a draft. Every pick seemed like a productive player with physical explosiveness. Ideally, we don't pick a RB in the 4th, but Bryce Love was a 1st round talent before the ACL - averaging 8 yards a carry in a tough conference, so I'm not going to question that.

I'm looking at players to get developmental time in 2019, so they can win in 2020. 2019 should be used as a rebuilding year. It would be nice if Snyder/Allen bought into that, but they don't. But the good thing about them not buying into that was that allowed them to ok the trade for Sweat. It's gonna suck not having next year's 2nd rounder, but that was a good trade. The only reason to watch the 2019 season is to track the development of the young players. That puts Gruden in a tough situation.

The thing is, the NFL is the worse league to try and tank. You can go 0-16 one year, and be division/somewhat Super Bowl contenders the next like the Browns. It's a league where things can turn around for you in a year. Also, we're no longer in this era where the rookie QB has to sit for a year to learn. I reckon Keenum will be the favorite, he may even start, but if Haskins catches on, Gruden will make the switch.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#887 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

The thing is, the NFL is the worse league to try and tank. You can go 0-16 one year, and be division/somewhat Super Bowl contenders the next like the Browns. It's a league where things can turn around for you in a year. Also, we're no longer in this era where the rookie QB has to sit for a year to learn. I reckon Keenum will be the favorite, he may even start, but if Haskins catches on, Gruden will make the switch.

Agreed - If they start off the season real well, stick with the veterans, but I think the Skins will be under .500 no matter what, so they should play young guys over old guys unless the young'ns are green as grass. Having said that, I'd probably sit Haskins for the first half of the season, because I don't want a rookie QB losing his confidence.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#888 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:28 pm

tontoz wrote:You really have to be a beast to be in the NFL. Almost everyone is an athletic freak unless they are a quarterback or a kicker, and sometimes even those guys are great athletes.

Yeah, even the Skins last pick - a 6'3 252 lb OLB/DE who ran a 4.65 40 and had 10 sacks in the Big 12 last season. That's crazy.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#889 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#890 » by benb331 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:06 am

By the end of the season, CB Jimmy Moreland will become a fan favorite. The kid just has a nose for the ball: 18 int's and 5 blocked punts, both records during his collegiate career at Steve Buchhantz's alma mater. I've been watching him since his sophomore year. He's got decent speed that looked insane against CAA competition, so many chase-down tackles. That won't be quite enough at the pro-level. He gets caught on double moves, and QB's in the NFL will be able to look him off a route should they choose to attack a rookie back. So he's going to make some mistakes, obviously, as all NFL rookie backs are prone to do. He doesn't have the best size or agility, but the kid's a baller and a gym rat. He's gonna make a play or two that gets him into the nickel and dime packages sooner rather than later. Reminds me of a poor man's DeAngelo Hall.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#891 » by Wizardspride » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#892 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 am

benb331 wrote:By the end of the season, CB Jimmy Moreland will become a fan favorite. The kid just has a nose for the ball: 18 int's and 5 blocked punts, both records during his collegiate career at Steve Buchhantz's alma mater. I've been watching him since his sophomore year. He's got decent speed that looked insane against CAA competition, so many chase-down tackles. That won't be quite enough at the pro-level. He gets caught on double moves, and QB's in the NFL will be able to look him off a route should they choose to attack a rookie back. So he's going to make some mistakes, obviously, as all NFL rookie backs are prone to do. He doesn't have the best size or agility, but the kid's a baller and a gym rat. He's gonna make a play or two that gets him into the nickel and dime packages sooner rather than later. Reminds me of a poor man's DeAngelo Hall.

I figure they keep either him or Stroman - can't see them keeping both small CB's who aren't speedsters. Can't say I was impressed with Stroman's ability, so I'd give Moreland a slight edge.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#893 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:54 pm

In looking at Haskins highlights, what stands out is: Ohio State had a helluva offensive line. Haskins had time to finish a sudoku puzzle and check his stocks and walk in slow thoughtful circles around a Zen rock garden while pondering the imposible.

We need more beef up front. Or: Doom and more doom.
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#894 » by benb331 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:
benb331 wrote:By the end of the season, CB Jimmy Moreland will become a fan favorite. The kid just has a nose for the ball: 18 int's and 5 blocked punts, both records during his collegiate career at Steve Buchhantz's alma mater. I've been watching him since his sophomore year. He's got decent speed that looked insane against CAA competition, so many chase-down tackles. That won't be quite enough at the pro-level. He gets caught on double moves, and QB's in the NFL will be able to look him off a route should they choose to attack a rookie back. So he's going to make some mistakes, obviously, as all NFL rookie backs are prone to do. He doesn't have the best size or agility, but the kid's a baller and a gym rat. He's gonna make a play or two that gets him into the nickel and dime packages sooner rather than later. Reminds me of a poor man's DeAngelo Hall.

I figure they keep either him or Stroman - can't see them keeping both small CB's who aren't speedsters. Can't say I was impressed with Stroman's ability, so I'd give Moreland a slight edge.

I know Stroman had his struggles last year, but I thought he showed development and some serious moxy in the final 3 quarters of one game (can't remember which) after he was targeted and torched in the 1st quarter. He's stronger and a better tackler than Moreland. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping both if there's roster room. Moreland has some free safety potential, so maybe there's some roster flexibility.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#895 » by BearlyBallin » Wed May 1, 2019 1:52 am

benb331 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I know Stroman had his struggles last year, but I thought he showed development and some serious moxy in the final 3 quarters of one game (can't remember which) after he was targeted and torched in the 1st quarter. He's stronger and a better tackler than Moreland. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping both if there's roster room. Moreland has some free safety potential, so maybe there's some roster flexibility.

I read somewhere that there are no plans to moving Moreland to FS. Although I’ve seen Nickel mentioned in a few places.

http://www.nfl.com/news/author?id=0ap3000000930791

Gennaro Filice at NFL.com called him the nfc east’s biggest sleeper
————
“BIGGEST SLEEPER: Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison
Washington Redskins, Round 7, No. 227 overall

...Moreland's slight stature might force him to move inside at the NFL level, but who cares: Nickel corner is essentially a starting position in 2019. Moreland turned heads at the East-West Shrine Game, earning a late invitation to the Senior Bowl, where he more than held his own. (Deebo Samuel, who ended up going early in the second round, said Moreland was the best cornerback he faced in Mobile.) The JMU product has a nose for the football and a mouth for the pros. Asked how he ended up with 18 interceptions (including five pick-sixes) during his college career, Moreland didn't stutter: "I'm a dog." Indeed. Roll that beautiful ballhawking footage
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#896 » by Dark Faze » Wed May 1, 2019 12:51 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

man hell no play well and then you can have it
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#897 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#898 » by BearlyBallin » Wed May 1, 2019 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter

In the past few drafts the skins have had one or more UDFA on the roster. (Fat Rob, Danny Johnson...others)

For some reason this years group of UDFA signings don’t feel like they’ve gotten the same attention as the last two groups.

I’ve seen some feel Ryan Bee, DT 6’7” 280 lbs has the most potential out of this group. But our DL is looking pretty set with Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Settle and Brantley. I guess Jojo Wicker will benefit from some competition. Either way I hope we find a young DT worth keeping on the practice squad. Wicker needed to get stronger. I’m interested in seeing how he looks after a year in the weight room. Also looking forward to seeing Brantley contribute.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#899 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 1, 2019 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#900 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 1, 2019 9:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards