ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: UCF Football: Spring Game April 13th 

Post#661 » by UCF » Thu May 2, 2019 9:24 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Got my MBA today, was seated a few rows ahead of Tacko and Chad Brown who were getting their bachelors. Place exploded when they said his name and he walked across the stage.

Congratulations Jay! That’s awesome.

I was joking about Tacko and how they couldn’t find a gown to fit him.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#662 » by craig01 » Thu May 2, 2019 11:15 pm

Congrats!
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#663 » by UCF » Thu May 9, 2019 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#664 » by craig01 » Thu May 9, 2019 10:42 am

UCF wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well done again.

I think FSU came in around 936? If so, that score is just barely above the minimum threshold.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#665 » by craig01 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

Danny White announced that fewer than 1000 unsold season tickets remain for the 2019 season.

No question those tickets will be sold relatively soon.

If anyone is on the fence about purchasing, now is the time to do it

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#666 » by UCF » Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#667 » by UCFJayBird » Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Most frustrating video i've watched in a long time, lol
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#668 » by nymets1 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm

How do we feel about USF getting to play Gators, Hurricanes and now Alabama and possibly more to come? I would love to see a USF home game vs Gators, Hurricanes and Alabama. A USF home game I think would sell out against Alabama.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#669 » by UCFJayBird » Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

nymets1 wrote:How do we feel about USF getting to play Gators, Hurricanes and now Alabama and possibly more to come? I would love to see a USF home game vs Gators, Hurricanes and Alabama. A USF home game I think would sell out against Alabama.

Good for them. Their situation is different than ours so it makes a little more sense to be willing to take 2 for 1s. I think it hurts our argument for rejecting 2 for 1s and our conference overall, but makes sense for them.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#670 » by UCF » Fri May 24, 2019 4:39 pm

They have ~30k empty seats to barter with. Good for them I guess. We have 3k which makes it not an equal conversation. The only one of the three agreements I’m impressed with is Alabama because they almost never leave home for out of conference unless it’s a pay day. The details of these agreements will really frame if it’s good financially or not. This gets them a big name on the schedule but at the expense of playing three extra road games.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#671 » by tiderulz » Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm

UCF wrote:They have ~30k empty seats to barter with. Good for them I guess. We have 3k which makes it not an equal conversation. The only one of the three agreements I’m impressed with is Alabama because they almost never leave home for out of conference unless it’s a pay day. The details of these agreements will really frame if it’s good financially or not. This gets them a big name on the schedule but at the expense of playing three extra road games.

we have played neutral site games every year. That is leaving home. and helps open up recruiting. Maybe you guys should try it

FSU (3x), Michigan, USC, Clemson, Wisconsin, WVU, Va Tech (2x), Penn St, Duke, all games away from Tuscaloosa since Saban got there.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#672 » by craig01 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm

I have no doubt Ucf would be willing to play a neutral site game if the revenue is there.

Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,697

Post#673 » by Viper1500 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:41 pm

tiderulz wrote:
UCF wrote:They have ~30k empty seats to barter with. Good for them I guess. We have 3k which makes it not an equal conversation. The only one of the three agreements I’m impressed with is Alabama because they almost never leave home for out of conference unless it’s a pay day. The details of these agreements will really frame if it’s good financially or not. This gets them a big name on the schedule but at the expense of playing three extra road games.

we have played neutral site games every year. That is leaving home. and helps open up recruiting. Maybe you guys should try it

FSU (3x), Michigan, USC, Clemson, Wisconsin, WVU, Va Tech (2x), Penn St, Duke, all games away from Tuscaloosa since Saban got there.

A neutral site game for Alabama is a home game. I've been to two and it's 90% Alabama fans.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#674 » by tiderulz » Sat May 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Viper1500 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

A neutral site game for Alabama is a home game. I've been to two and it's 90% Alabama fans.

really? I can understand the thought of the games in Atlanta, but Dallas? Jacksonville? Orlando? those are "home games"? Bama doesnt get more than half the tickets, so that would mean the other school returning tickets.

and not all those games were neutral site games.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#675 » by UCFJayBird » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm

tiderulz wrote:

lol. Alabama hasn't played a true road OOC game since 2011 at Penn State.

Since 2007 when Saban took over they've only played twice (Duke in 2010, Penn State in 2011).

Don't get me wrong, Alabama should absolutely be doing it since it doesn't hurt them in the eyes of ESPN and the CFP Committee. But let's not pretend neutral site games are in any way shape or form the same as a true road game.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#676 » by tiderulz » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Since 2007 when Saban took over they've only played twice (Duke in 2010, Penn State in 2011).

Don't get me wrong, Alabama should absolutely be doing it since it doesn't hurt them in the eyes of ESPN and the CFP Committee. But let's not pretend neutral site games are in any way shape or form the same as a true road game.

what is your definition of a "true road game"? I look at it as leaving the state. And yes, playing FSU in Jacksonville is a road game, no matter how much you might want to say it isnt. neutral games are absolutely road games. I'll give a little bit when it is in Atlanta vs a team from farther away. and look over our schedule the next decade. Neutral games to me are smart. Both teams generate money from the gates, the tickets are split in half. If the other team isnt as marketable, they get the benefit of playing Alabama. And EVERYONE wants Bama to lose, so they have more people rooting for them.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#677 » by UCFJayBird » Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm

tiderulz wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:we have played neutral site games every year. That is leaving home. and helps open up recruiting. Maybe you guys should try it

what is your definition of a "true road game"? I look at it as leaving the state. And yes, playing FSU in Jacksonville is a road game, no matter how much you might want to say it isnt. neutral games are absolutely road games. I'll give a little bit when it is in Atlanta vs a team from farther away. and look over our schedule the next decade. Neutral games to me are smart. Both teams generate money from the gates, the tickets are split in half. If the other team isnt as marketable, they get the benefit of playing Alabama. And EVERYONE wants Bama to lose, so they have more people rooting for them.

a true road game means another team has home field advantage. Now i'll grant you that neutral site games aren't always truly neutral. Example if Duke played UCF at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, that's a "neutral site" but it still favors UCF since UCF should have substantially more fans in the stadium simply because UCF fans don't have to travel as far. Duke being a smaller football school would also be unlikely to fill half CWS and UCF would be able to still have a substantial advantage in fan attendance.

So while I agree that Alabama playing in Jacksonville against FSU isn't as neutral as possible, it's far more neutral than playing in Tallahassee, as both teams split the tickets, as opposed to if it were at FSU and FSU had 90-95% of the stadium and gave Alabama the rest. You go from Alabama having 5-10% of the crowd (if that) to 35-50% (rough estimates, i'd be curious if there's actual data out there).

I think home field advantage is incredibly important in most sports and plays a huge role. So when you are able to turn 2 true road games into 2 neutral games, even if they're closer geographically to the opponent, it changes the dynamic and becomes a huge benefit and much more winnable.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#678 » by tiderulz » Tue May 28, 2019 2:57 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

a true road game means another team has home field advantage. Now i'll grant you that neutral site games aren't always truly neutral. Example if Duke played UCF at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, that's a "neutral site" but it still favors UCF since UCF should have substantially more fans in the stadium simply because UCF fans don't have to travel as far. Duke being a smaller football school would also be unlikely to fill half CWS and UCF would be able to still have a substantial advantage in fan attendance.

So while I agree that Alabama playing in Jacksonville against FSU isn't as neutral as possible, it's far more neutral than playing in Tallahassee, as both teams split the tickets, as opposed to if it were at FSU and FSU had 90-95% of the stadium and gave Alabama the rest. You go from Alabama having 5-10% of the crowd (if that) to 35-50% (rough estimates, i'd be curious if there's actual data out there).

I think home field advantage is incredibly important in most sports and plays a huge role. So when you are able to turn 2 true road games into 2 neutral games, even if they're closer geographically to the opponent, it changes the dynamic and becomes a huge benefit and much more winnable.

sounds smart to me. again, why doesnt UCF look at those? open up an area for possible recruiting, be in the flashy game, get more attention/publicity? so what if it isnt in your home stadium, you get money for every game, not some money for a home game and then practically no money for the next year road game?
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#679 » by UCFJayBird » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:what is your definition of a "true road game"? I look at it as leaving the state. And yes, playing FSU in Jacksonville is a road game, no matter how much you might want to say it isnt. neutral games are absolutely road games. I'll give a little bit when it is in Atlanta vs a team from farther away. and look over our schedule the next decade. Neutral games to me are smart. Both teams generate money from the gates, the tickets are split in half. If the other team isnt as marketable, they get the benefit of playing Alabama. And EVERYONE wants Bama to lose, so they have more people rooting for them.

sounds smart to me. again, why doesnt UCF look at those? open up an area for possible recruiting, be in the flashy game, get more attention/publicity? so what if it isnt in your home stadium, you get money for every game, not some money for a home game and then practically no money for the next year road game?

White has said he'd be open to a neutral site game, so long as it's not replacing a home game in a bigger series. Example being UF said they'd do a 2 for 1, but wanted the 1 at UCF to be at CWS, so it's really a 2-0-1 offer to UCF. The boys in the mainstream media never seem to pick up on that and make it sound like UCF is refusing a true 2 for 1 (which we probably would anyway, but that isn't even the actual offer, lol).

We had a deal a few years ago to do a four game series with Miami, 2 @Miami and 2 @UCF, but then the Citrus Bowl/CWS folks got into the ears of the people at Miami and convinced them that one of the UCF games should be @CWS so the deal fell through.

UCF is willing to play neutral site games, I just don't think a team has come along offering a true one game neutral site or a 3 game series with 1 being netural and 1 being at each other's home.

That's my understanding anyway. I'd be disappointed if White/UCF were just refusing to play neutral site games.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#680 » by tiderulz » Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

White has said he'd be open to a neutral site game, so long as it's not replacing a home game in a bigger series. Example being UF said they'd do a 2 for 1, but wanted the 1 at UCF to be at CWS, so it's really a 2-0-1 offer to UCF. The boys in the mainstream media never seem to pick up on that and make it sound like UCF is refusing a true 2 for 1 (which we probably would anyway, but that isn't even the actual offer, lol).

We had a deal a few years ago to do a four game series with Miami, 2 @Miami and 2 @UCF, but then the Citrus Bowl/CWS folks got into the ears of the people at Miami and convinced them that one of the UCF games should be @CWS so the deal fell through.

UCF is willing to play neutral site games, I just don't think a team has come along offering a true one game neutral site or a 3 game series with 1 being netural and 1 being at each other's home.

That's my understanding anyway. I'd be disappointed if White/UCF were just refusing to play neutral site games.

thats fair and if i was agreeing to play a team and played at their site, i wouldnt want to give up my home game to a neutral either. Maybe a 1-1-1.

Return to Orlando Magic