ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Allen Crabbe Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Re: The Official Allen Crabbe Thread 

Post#721 » by Claud » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Definitely one of the few mistakes committed by Markinson. Solid gamble but it did not pay out. At best a good role player but he is super inconsistent.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#722 » by drchaos » Fri May 3, 2019 2:27 pm

Today Allen Crabbe exercised his player option for the 2019/20.

Link below:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/05/nets-allen-crabbe-opts-in-for-201920.html
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#723 » by SpeedyG » Fri May 3, 2019 2:44 pm

Thats to be expected. Now we either trade him or stretch him (or he plays it out if we really strike out)

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#724 » by Aussienet3 » Sun May 5, 2019 1:53 am

If he was a free agent this year what could he reasonably expect to receive?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#725 » by TheNetsFan » Sun May 5, 2019 2:03 am

Depends on how he checks out injury-wise. He could net up to a full MLE. Had it not been for is poor, injury plagued season, I would have said a full MLE was his floor. Now, I’d say $6mil to full MLE.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#726 » by Aussienet3 » Sun May 5, 2019 8:51 am

I know its to harsh to judge him for opting in. But I would of hoped he opted out and signed a 4 year $40 mill deal. Technically he leaves $8mill on the table. But he gets looked after by getting more over more years and giving us more cap flexibility this year. That being said. I'm sure Marks did his due diligence and if Crabbe wouldn't negotiate. Then I'm all for Marks moving him on at any cost.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#727 » by gigantes » Sun May 5, 2019 12:37 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:I know its to harsh to judge him for opting in. But I would of hoped he opted out and signed a 4 year $40 mill deal. Technically he leaves $8mill on the table. But he gets looked after by getting more over more years and giving us more cap flexibility this year. That being said. I'm sure Marks did his due diligence and if Crabbe wouldn't negotiate. Then I'm all for Marks moving him on at any cost.

It's hard to believe Marks would have offered even 4/$40 at this point, assuming he had any interest at all. Crabbe is like the souffle that failed to rise. Time to start over with new ingredients.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems rare indeed for an underperforming player to opt out, even if that winds up hurting him in some ways. The idea seems to be 'grab as much as you can as soon as you can, because you never know when the ride's gonna end.' I would guess that's an imperative that comes from the agent, and the player usually follows along, perhaps reluctantly, sometimes.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,833

Post#728 » by MrDollarBills » Sun May 5, 2019 12:45 pm

I still say we should have gotten a draft pick from Portland to take this guy. what an albatross.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#729 » by gigantes » Sun May 5, 2019 8:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I still say we should have gotten a draft pick from Portland to take this guy. what an albatross.

Oh boy, someone had to ask. :S

So-- after a complex set of twists & turns, backroom deals & blood obligations paid, counterpaid & repaid yet again involving mssrs R.C. Buford, Neil Olshey, Spud Webb and even... R. Kelly (it's an even longer trail of tears and outrage than you could possibly imagine)... finally, finally, it all came down to poor Sean Marks having to repay the last marker-debt in a long, never-publicly-known, sordid tale... specifically by getting stiffed on a rightful 1st rounder in the Allen Crabbe trade!

Let's just say it need never happen again, and PLEASE Let's never go down that rabbit hole again. Thank you, and thank you very much.

(this might possibly have been a Cinco de Mayo post)
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#730 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 5, 2019 8:24 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I still say we should have gotten a draft pick from Portland to take this guy. what an albatross.

Yup agreed, I was saying the same thing when the trade was happening, we should of got their 1st pick for that year which I think was in the early 20s.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#731 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun May 5, 2019 9:18 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Yup agreed, I was saying the same thing when the trade was happening, we should of got their 1st pick for that year which I think was in the early 20s.

maybe you guys forgot, but it was brooklyn nets who gave that contract to allen crabbe and portland was stupid enough to match it... at the end we were just lucky enough you came back for him

allen crabbes contract is bad, but at least he can contribute, unlike evan turner or meyers leonard... those are god awful contracts... all three are bad contracts, but god knows id take allen crabbe in a heartbeat
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#732 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 5, 2019 9:43 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

maybe you guys forgot, but it was brooklyn nets who gave that contract to allen crabbe and portland was stupid enough to match it... at the end we were just lucky enough you came back for him

allen crabbes contract is bad, but at least he can contribute, unlike evan turner or meyers leonard... those are god awful contracts... all three are bad contracts, but god knows id take allen crabbe in a heartbeat

no sir we definitely didn't forget, this was one of Marks bad moves but it isn't horrible or crippling. But still, he traded for him the next year which was still a bad contract and teams were sending overpaid players with a pick to get rid of them at that time.

Portland's luxury tax bill went from 48 million way down to 4 Million, that in itself is worth a 1st rounder. I'm not sure if any other team is just taking Crabbe full contract without any other value coming back. Marks just had a fetish for this guy. Cool avi by the way
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#733 » by kamaze » Sun May 5, 2019 11:32 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Yup agreed, I was saying the same thing when the trade was happening, we should of got their 1st pick for that year which I think was in the early 20s.

no sir we definitely didn't forget, this was one of Marks bad moves but it isn't horrible or crippling. But still, he traded for him the next year which was still a bad contract and teams were sending overpaid players with a pick to get rid of them at that time.

Portland's luxury tax bill went from 48 million way down to 4 Million, that in itself is worth a 1st rounder. I'm not sure if any other team is just taking Crabbe full contract without any other value coming back. Marks just had a fetish for this guy. Cool avi by the way

Crabbe fits in the system and became a good defender he's just not a star. He's overpaid but like the Portland fan brought out there's a couple of overpaid
players on that roster; there's plenty across the league. Crabbe is a rotation
player at least and he's on a expiring contract.

He was missed in the playoffs they could've used his defense and shooting.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#734 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 5, 2019 11:39 pm

kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:maybe you guys forgot, but it was brooklyn nets who gave that contract to allen crabbe and portland was stupid enough to match it... at the end we were just lucky enough you came back for him

Crabbe fits in the system and became a good defender he's just not a star. He's overpaid but like the Portland fan brought out there's a couple of overpaid
players on that roster; there's plenty across the league. Crabbe is a rotation
player at least and he's on a expiring contract.

He was missed in the playoffs they could've used his defense and shooting.

I agree, he isn't some corpse out there like Mozgov was. This is why I'm telling the guys on the trade board that we won't be giving up our own #17 pick to get rid of him, I think a team will definitely trade for Crabbe with our #27 pick.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#735 » by drchaos » Mon May 6, 2019 12:19 am

If the 17th pick is too much to give up and the 27th pick isn't enough to get rid of Crabbe would it make any sense to package Crabbe and our 2020 first round pick instead?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#736 » by TheNetsFan » Mon May 6, 2019 2:57 am

drchaos wrote:If the 17th pick is too much to give up and the 27th pick isn't enough to get rid of Crabbe would it make any sense to package Crabbe and our 2020 first round pick instead?

That is the likelier scenario. We don't make that deal until we have FA commitments though.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#737 » by Kaiser30 » Mon May 6, 2019 8:41 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
drchaos wrote:If the 17th pick is too much to give up and the 27th pick isn't enough to get rid of Crabbe would it make any sense to package Crabbe and our 2020 first round pick instead?

That is the likelier scenario. We don't make that deal until we have FA commitments though.

I'm 100% fine with keeping Crabbe until additional cap space is ultimately necessary in order to bring in a valuable FA addition.

Trading Crabbe and attaching a pick without knowing if and for who additional cap space is needed could eventually backfire.

If the Nets strike out in free agency, I'm absolutely happy to keep Crabbe for another year or dangle his expiring at the trade deadline. Considering how bad the 2020 free agency class is, the Nets may soon shift their focus towards the trade market and a big expiring might be valuable in trade talks.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#738 » by Prokorov » Mon May 6, 2019 1:13 pm

i dont think we should trade a pick at all...

Honestly, just approach him with a buyout of say, 15 million. gets us 3.5 million and our max slot.

then we can use our 3 picks towards poisitve assets instead of dumping salary
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#739 » by DeRoma » Mon May 6, 2019 3:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:i dont think we should trade a pick at all...

Honestly, just approach him with a buyout of say, 15 million. gets us 3.5 million and our max slot.

Gotta agree in Marks eyes I believe the 17th pick is definitely an important piece for us. The Nets are still trying talent across all position and I would agree that's what this team needs to do in order to succeed.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#740 » by kamaze » Mon May 6, 2019 5:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:i dont think we should trade a pick at all...

:o He's a rotation player why the hell would they buy him out for $15 million? They would trade him first.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets