I liked Drew

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,069

I liked Drew 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:57 pm

... but he's gone. Anyway, I'd absolutely like to know what the plan is and the reasons behind this decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: I liked Drew 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:31 am

I got the impression he took one for the team literally this season after Love stayed down and out, and Drew never wanted any part of a rebuild. Not surprised by this at all.
I think going into the draft without a coach is bad idea usually, but they might rather do it that way and then hire one that fits what the plan is after they know what they got instead of tryng to find prospects that fit the coaches system etc.I actually hope they do this where fit is not a priority and the best basketball player is who they take period.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#3 » by Revenged25 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

I think this was more of Drew saying he didn't want the job than the Cavs deciding to go in another direction. I mean he didn't even want the job in the first place considering it how long it took for him to officially be named the interim head coach. Best of luck to Drew wherever he lands up though as he was definitely a stand-up guy for taking the job and finishing out the season for us even though he didn't want it in the first place.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,069

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not liking what the Plain Dealer is reporting about this. Apparently the Cavs want a coach who is willing to focus on *player development,* which, quite frankly, is a little overrated. Raw players can take another step, they can develop, but if this is about the team's vision for Sexton, I'm nervous. Sometimes, players just are who they are. Sexton is a fine player, but he's never going to be a franchise cornerstone.

I'm also not down with deliberately tanking again next year and it sounds like that may have been the philosophical dispute with Drew. With the new lottery odds, you can be marginally bad and end up with a good pick. You can be really bad and end up with meh one. Guys like Cedi and Nance Jr. are solid players who play hard every night. If we have another 20-win season, I'm not sure that will continue. Poor effort is both contagious and a difficult habit to break once it's taken root. I can handle playing hard and losing, but I don't ever want to go back to that 2013-14 season where guys were just mailing it in every other night.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#5 » by gflem » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Yeah, I liked Drew as well. I think they are looking for a younger coach. They obviously cant say that, and they already have legal issues from Lue telling an assistant that he was let go because he was too old so there is that as well. I am hoping they arent thinking a college coach is the way to go, there are so many failed attempts at that, Brad Stevens aside, that I just think there are too many obstacles to overcome for a guy that has never coached in the NBA.
I cant think off hand of any names that I would like to see here, but any former coaches that are out there were fired for a reason so i'm not sure if a retread is the way to go either.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Larry Drew just tank-commanded the worst defense in the recorded history of defensive rating. A putrescent defense allowed to rot under the uncareful eye of Ty Lue, and the incompetency of Mike Longabardi.

I have no problem with the Cavs putting an emphasis on player development ... that's the first order of business in a rebuild. If that coach doesn't prove to be any good in other areas, he/she can always be replaced once the team reaches a point of contention.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 pm

^ pretty much...no need for anything more than another Blatt . But if you can get a player development staff and a solid coach to put it together even better
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Sun May 5, 2019 2:05 am

Hello Cavs fans - didn't see this verified elsewhere so take it with whatever grain of salt you think Stein deserves, but thought this may be of interest:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers