ImageImageImageImage

2019 Summer Orlando Magic Free Agency and trade

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Re: 2019 Orlando Magic Free Agency Summer 

Post#41 » by jayrehme » Thu May 2, 2019 12:32 pm

MasterGMer wrote:If both Kemba and Orlando want to make it work, is everything else just logistics? We can make it work with Vuc resigning, right? Sign and Trade? Our 16th pick + Fournier to get us Kemba?

If Charlotte KNOWS they are losing Kemba regardless, they might sign and trade him for an asset and expiring... i'd rather give Fultz a chance first IMO though instead of locking up huge money on Kemba.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#42 » by MasterGMer » Thu May 2, 2019 7:38 pm

jayrehme wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:If both Kemba and Orlando want to make it work, is everything else just logistics? We can make it work with Vuc resigning, right? Sign and Trade? Our 16th pick + Fournier to get us Kemba?

If Charlotte KNOWS they are losing Kemba regardless, they might sign and trade him for an asset and expiring... i'd rather give Fultz a chance first IMO though instead of locking up huge money on Kemba.

Fultz can be a sixth man off the bench and with him and Kemba on the floor the same time, we can run the offense like Dame and CJ McCollum.

Pair him up with Vuc and let our young core develop, we can go deeper in the playoff. And... We will still be the youngest team made the playoff
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#43 » by Skin » Sat May 4, 2019 11:22 pm

He's a DAWG. Tired of our soft Magic team. We needed more physicality and fight in the playoffs. This is who I covet in FA.

[img][/img]
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#44 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 4, 2019 11:42 pm

So Oubre is this year's Rozier?
Cool.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#45 » by KillMonger » Sun May 5, 2019 12:14 am

pepe1991 wrote:So Oubre is this year's Rozier?
Cool.

there seems to be one guy every summer....shieeeeet....i remember when people wanted frickin jason thompson....i couldn't understand it for the life of me....i'm like Jason Thompson?

Skin
RealGM

Post#46 » by Skin » Sun May 5, 2019 12:58 am

Cool.

I would chase both this summer. Rozier might be cheap.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#47 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 5, 2019 7:20 am

Solid Snake wrote:
Cool.

there seems to be one guy every summer....shieeeeet....i remember when people wanted frickin jason thompson....i couldn't understand it for the life of me....i'm like Jason Thompson?

Brandon F-ing Knight :roll:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#48 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 5, 2019 7:22 am

Skin wrote:
Cool.

Only if he volunteers :lol:
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#49 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun May 5, 2019 8:00 am

Cool.

This means you want Oubre ? Because you wanted to sign Rozier last season too :wink:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#50 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 5, 2019 10:51 am

The Magic have 8 players under contract for next season.

Aaron Gordon
Jonathan Issac
Mo Bamba
Evan Fournier
Markelle Fultz
DJ Augustin
Melvin Frazier Jr.
Timothy Mozgov

If they pick up Wes Iwundu's option which they likely will that is 9.

Their first-round pick #16 would make 10.

Then, The Magic have 6 Free Agents

Nikola Vucevic
Terrence Ross
Khem Birch
Jarell Martin
Michael Carter-Williams
Jerian Grant

The key to the offseason has always been what happens with Vucevic and Ross.

It would be nice to bring both back Vucevic and Ross but it will depend on The market. The Magic should not overpay.

My feeling Vucevic's market is not going to be what he expected and Ross won't get much more than he is getting now.

Both could be back although it could make things tight cap/tax wise in future years.

The offseason will start there.

Expect The Magic to make Khem Birch a Qualifying Offer. However, if Vucevic returns, he is likely gone as The Magic will not want to pay Vucevic, Bamba and Birch plus they have Mozgov on the shelf.

Jarell Martin probably does not get a QO and while I doubt he returns, it's not a given that he does not.

Michael Carter-Williams could return and so could Isaiah Briscoe.

Jerian Grant will not be given a Qualifying Offer and is as good as gone.

How much changes this team makes though depends on what happens with Vucevic and Ross.

If they are both back, I expect minimal changes.

The only other factor is Markelle Fultz and what they expect from him. It's possible will bring back both or one of MCW and Briscoe to back him up and maybe sign someone to a one year deal to help out there.

With #16, it would be nice to grab a swing who can score.

All in all though, it's all about Vucevic and Ross.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#51 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 5, 2019 5:36 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
Cool.

This means you want Oubre ? Because you wanted to sign Rozier last season too :wink:

I don't trust players that look like scrubs and out of nowhere play 5-10 good games.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#52 » by ezzzp » Sun May 5, 2019 6:20 pm

The last thing the Magic need is a wing that can’t shoot or create.

Oubre is a career 32% shooter from 3pt (32% this season). He hasn't been able to create for other's, ever (career 5.6 AST%).

The Magic's offense (with or without Vucevic) will require secondary lane penetration/creation + spot up shooters from the wing:

• Drives

Oubre: 6.0 pg / 44.7 FG% / 3.6 AST%
Fournier: 8.9 pg / 47.6 FG% / 11.9 AST%

• Catch and Shoot

Oubre: 4.0 FGA pg / 47.1 eFG% / .311 3P%
Fournier: 4.0 FGA pg / 54.0 eFG% / .367 3P%

• Comparison at same age (23/24): http://bkref.com/tiny/ss0re
• Comparison last season (18-19): http://bkref.com/tiny/EG2mA

...and that’s with Fournier having his worst shooting year ever

Mario Hezonja has highlights and mocked Giannis and LeBron...bravado and edited cherry picked highlights doesn’t equal good production.

Oubre also has reputation as low IQ low effort defender.

I don’t see any appeal in Oubre.

If there’s not one in draft, with the MLE, I hope Magic look at guys who can play both off and on ball: Tomas Satorasky, Seth Curry, Tyreke Evans, Derrick Rose....are some off top of my head
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#53 » by zaymon » Sun May 5, 2019 8:37 pm

What you guys think is our front office blueprint for this team ? All our past and future acquisitions must have a purpose, bigger or smaller. I think they want to build a team with no obvious weaknesses on defense. It would be a true playoff team. Most similar current squad would be Houston Rockets. They are the easiest to replicate and improve imo. I think Fultz taking a role of Harden is Weltman dream (or one of). Houston is kind of a team composed of castoffs, they are not cheerished and developed draft picks but mix of trades and free agency signings. If Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba can shoot threes and be smart on defense they have a chance to be Rockets on growth hormone. I think thats our A plan. Regarding free agency Ross fits quite nicely into that blueprint, and Vucevic not so much, but sometimes temporary options prove to be better than initial plans. Paying him 20-24 M for 3 years doesnt change much our flexibility(unless somebody thinks Bamba will be better than Vuc in 3 years, or that there will be better options on the market), 4th year is more important, but if deal is well constructed it could also benefit us by making him good trade asset.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#54 » by ezzzp » Sun May 5, 2019 9:49 pm

zaymon wrote:What you guys think is our front office blueprint for this team ? All our past and future acquisitions must have a purpose, bigger or smaller. I think they want to build a team with no obvious weaknesses on defense. It would be a true playoff team. Most similar current squad would be Houston Rockets. They are the easiest to replicate and improve imo. I think Fultz taking a role of Harden is Weltman dream (or one of). Houston is kind of a team composed of castoffs, they are not cheerished and developed draft picks but mix of trades and free agency signings. If Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba can shoot threes and be smart on defense they have a chance to be Rockets on growth hormone. I think thats our A plan. Regarding free agency Ross fits quite nicely into that blueprint, and Vucevic not so much, but sometimes temporary options prove to be better than initial plans. Paying him 20-24 M for 3 years doesnt change much our flexibility(unless somebody thinks Bamba will be better than Vuc in 3 years, or that there will be better options on the market), 4th year is more important, but if deal is well constructed it could also benefit us by making him good trade asset.

Length at every position is pretty clear. That's the way Weltman/Hammond built (or played key role) in constructing Toronto and Milwaukee rosters.

Really the C position is up for debate until the primary ball handler issue is settled.

If it's Fultz and he can't shoot, then that means the 5 has to have gravity out to the 3pt line and have good PnR/PnPop game. As of right now that's Vucevic. Something similar to how important Lopez' spacing is for Giannis and Bledsoe.

Last year teams didn't defend Bamba outside of 10'. Of Bamba's 64 3PA's only one was defended. So for that pairing of "non-shooting" Fultz + Bamba to work, Bamba would have to rapidly develop into good PnR/Pop player and consistent 3P threat. Its possible, but he was pretty awful at it last year. That was primarily because of poor PnR IQ and instincts + lack of strength and will to dive into contact.

Birch never shoots outside the paint, he doesn't create lane spacing but he did bend defenses as a rim runner (or at least he did vs 2nd units) - hard to tell how he would do vs more size/skill of starting units.

The spacing for a unit of Fultz/Fournier/Gordon/Isaac/Bamba (as of right now) would be atrocious. Teams could sag off of everyone except maybe Fournier (if he returns to his career shooting form).

Ross would work, but he's already said in interview that he's watching what happens with Vucevic, so its very unlikely he returns if Vucevic isn't resigned.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#55 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2019 10:32 am

If Fultz doesn't get his shot back, he just becomes another MCW/Exum off the bench, IMO...a worthy risk that didn't pan out. Our immediate need shifts right back to "scoring lead guard" and we keep moving forward. Fultz projects great versatility so they may still be targeting that guy anyway, via trade. I don't see them overpaying anyone - we're much improved but far from contending. Vuc and Ross had great years and will get raises, not windfalls, IMO. We'll see...I really don't expect any significant moves this year unless someone comes calling about Evan or Bamba with a real asset in return...if they give Birch a significant raise, it might be a signal that Bamba is on the block - Birch, to me, is likeliest to cash out and leave. But, as in Vuc calculations, there are a LOT of significant Centers out there this offseason. Birch's improvement is nice, but he's still just a strong bench guy.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#56 » by Bensational » Mon May 6, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm interested to see where Oubre's career goes from here, but happy not to be the team paying him $17M+ for that privilege. I think he's got the resources to pull more out of his game, but I'd rather the Magic be taking on a more 'sure thing' for that price, or taking cheaper gambles.

I think trades is where we might end up being most active. Once all the player movement begins, there will be left overs ripe for the taking. It all depends on how the biggest dominos fall.

KD signs with NYK, that's pretty much a given. (Maybe he signs with BKN, but I doubt it). Who signs with him? If it's Kyrie, then does Boston even bother trying to trade for AD and risk him bailing after 1 season? Does their offer become significantly less? Or do the Clippers offer up a bigger haul for him, and bring him over to team up with Kawhi - if he bails on Toronto?

So many big names that will likely switch teams and reshape the power balances. WeHam have been pretty good at waiting for the right deal to emerge that costs them little to nothing.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#57 » by Max Power » Mon May 6, 2019 1:54 pm

Obviously I don’t think we’ll be in the place to sign a main star type guy. Even if we don’t get Ross and Vucevic back. I think we’d be free agent players next summer. Resigning those guys are essential to keeping this seasons momentum. This can be a 50 win squad with some specific pieces added to it. We obviously need another decent scorer, a big to defend the paint and another young pg prospect. If we can somehow address these this year we’ll be in good shape to improve next year.

I’ve come to the conclusion however that this playoff run could be a one off until 2021. I’m not sure we’ll retain Vucevic or Ross. The good news is we still have Gordon and Issac and potential pieces with Bamba and Fultz. If Markelle gets back, the cupboard is a lot more full. I think the pressure should all be on Weltman and Hammond to strike gold with number #16. If we draft an overachiever I’m sure Clifford can get the team to play a winning brand. Then we can dip into free agency and grab a difference maker hopefully. I believe trading Fournier is something we’ll address at the trade deadline. If he plays well, we can add someone of value. Gonna be an interesting off season.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#58 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 6, 2019 2:24 pm

Skin wrote:
Cool.

I’ll keep DJ for the short term over the long deal Rozier will want.

As a backup PG, DJ is fantastic. It isn’t his fault he is shoved into a starting role.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#59 » by OrlandoSaban » Tue May 7, 2019 4:42 pm

ROSS > VUC ANY DAY OF THE WEEK FOR ME
Skin
RealGM

Post#60 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 5:08 pm

Skybox wrote:If Fultz doesn't get his shot back, he just becomes another MCW/Exum off the bench, IMO...a worthy risk that didn't pan out. Our immediate need shifts right back to "scoring lead guard" and we keep moving forward. Fultz projects great versatility so they may still be targeting that guy anyway, via trade. I don't see them overpaying anyone - we're much improved but far from contending. Vuc and Ross had great years and will get raises, not windfalls, IMO. We'll see...I really don't expect any significant moves this year unless someone comes calling about Evan or Bamba with a real asset in return...if they give Birch a significant raise, it might be a signal that Bamba is on the block - Birch, to me, is likeliest to cash out and leave. But, as in Vuc calculations, there are a LOT of significant Centers out there this offseason. Birch's improvement is nice, but he's still just a strong bench guy.

Or maybe Fultz becomes a Derrick Rose/Dwayne Wade type of scorer... which I'm being hopeful of. I see more similarities in their games (power/explosion) than MCW/Exum (long and skinny).

Return to Orlando Magic