ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#321 » by Feed Your Head » Mon May 6, 2019 7:51 pm

I was pretty critical of last season, so I don't blindly defend the show or anything, but I've really enjoyed the season so far. And i have read the source material, id consider it more good than great. Wildly entertaining and intricate, but incredibly flawed.

Just sit back an embrace the chaos of the last two episodes.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#322 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 6, 2019 7:58 pm

3D Chess wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:In the larger sense, we live in a culture of criticism. People like to criticize things to make themselves seem smart.

Dude, you have to see the irony of this comment coming from a guy that loves to run roughshod over a bunch of brain dead posters on an internet forum.

If someone does or says dumb ****, it's ok to point that out. You of all people know that!

I refuse to lap up the **** of someone getting paid millions of dollars to adapt objectively great source material (it is not 3rd rate sci-fi, you haven't even read it!) just because I should "enjoy the ride" to hell.

Aneurysm confirmed lol.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#323 » by 3D Chess » Mon May 6, 2019 8:01 pm

Would be like replacing Danny Ainge with David Kahn and just sitting there like this;

3D Chess
Lead Assistant

Post#324 » by 3D Chess » Mon May 6, 2019 8:08 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:In the larger sense, we live in a culture of criticism. People like to criticize things to make themselves seem smart.

Dude, you have to see the irony of this comment coming from a guy that loves to run roughshod over a bunch of brain dead posters on an internet forum.

If someone does or says dumb ****, it's ok to point that out. You of all people know that!

I refuse to lap up the **** of someone getting paid millions of dollars to adapt objectively great source material (it is not 3rd rate sci-fi, you haven't even read it!) just because I should "enjoy the ride" to hell.

Aneurysm confirmed lol.

I absolutely do not deny being pissed off to the point of arterial explosion about the way this show has gone. I just think it is justified.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#325 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 6, 2019 8:26 pm

3D Chess wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
3D Chess wrote:Dude, you have to see the irony of this comment coming from a guy that loves to run roughshod over a bunch of brain dead posters on an internet forum.

Aneurysm confirmed lol.

I absolutely do not deny being pissed off to the point of arterial explosion about the way this show has gone. I just think it is justified.

I can link/PM the real spoilers if you want to get it over with.

Just say the word. You're not going to like it. Any of it lol.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant

Post#326 » by 3D Chess » Mon May 6, 2019 8:36 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Aneurysm confirmed lol.

I can link/PM the real spoilers if you want to get it over with.

Just say the word. You're not going to like it. Any of it lol.

Nah, I know where to get them if I want. I've lasted this long without reading them, and I feel it's worth holding out just in case of another "oh ****" moment that is genuinely well delivered. I am leaning in to the let down.

I really don't watch any other TV shows outside of GoT at the moment (unless you count this seasons Celtics soap opera, lol), which is why I hold it to such a high standard. I don't like to waste my time on dross. I'm sure this season is still better than 90% of TV shows out right now, but it's not a patch on S1-4.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#327 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon May 6, 2019 8:43 pm

I didn't hate GOT's episode last night, it set a lot of things up for the future, like a possible betrayal (not spoiling too much).

I asked this last year, but have any of you guys seen Cobra Kai? It's GREAT. Even as a Karate Kid fan, I'm shocked at how good it is and the emotional depths it takes you through; also, the endings are never what you expect (especially this past season). Would highly recommend.

YouTube Premium/Red literally saved itself on this show, I think it has 24+ million views on episode one of each season now.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#328 » by truth18 » Mon May 6, 2019 8:53 pm

3D Chess wrote:I refuse to lap up the **** of someone getting paid millions of dollars to adapt objectively great source material (it is not 3rd rate sci-fi, you haven't even read it!) just because I should "enjoy the ride" to hell.

Yeah, I live in the literary world academically, professionally and otherwise: ASOIAF is not objectively great or oven objectively good. ****, a Feast for Crows was objectively bad.

Again, I don't say this to hate on Martin. He is actually a decent writer who's strongest work is timeless stuff.

Read A Song for Lya, the Stone City or a random selection from Tuf Voyaging and you will see that ASOIAF is pretty weak stuff on almost every level, it's just masked by his always strong and vivid imagery.

Long form epics don't work for him. His best stuff is in short stories.

Not going to argue about the show with you nerds just wanted to stress that these books are not some masterwork or even that great at all.
YOU LOSE
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#329 » by CelticsLV » Wed May 8, 2019 9:26 am

3D Chess you are not alone in this. The hate and disappointment about this season are real and widespread. My Youtube recommendations are flooding with criticism about this season. If Caveman calls us just product of critics culture then I will call him the product of mainstream mindless consumer culture. The ones who watch GoT in the bar like some football match and get hype when Arya stabs the Knight King. Basically, the ones who swallow any garbage they are thrown at. He probably thinks this new Star Wars is a masterpiece too, hype as hell about Dan&Dave hopping onto Star Wars now.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#330 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed May 8, 2019 9:46 am

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#331 » by jmr07019 » Wed May 8, 2019 11:07 pm

Not a huge Marvel fan but I really enjoyed infinity wars and I like the Thor trilogy. Just watched end game and thought it sucked

Spoiler:
Time travel plot is awful. Might as well just say the whole infinity war movie was a bad dream. Just a lazy cop out. Yawn.

Aside from the **** plot I hated captain america (probably my least favorite hero) getting all the powers of Thor (my favorite character). I mean why even have Thor around and what the hell was he waiting for. Why not just use the hammer and shoot thunder bolts all along?

Movie didn't need to be 3 hours long. I know it's not an hbo series but after watching all the characters in GoT **** each other would have been cool to see Thor smash capt marvel
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#332 » by jmr07019 » Wed May 8, 2019 11:11 pm

As to GoT this season first 2 episodes were boring af. Battle of winterfell was ok. Had some good moments but after all of this building to the night king coming seeing him defeated in his first battle was anti climatic. I was hoping for at least 1 major character dying. I wanted the night king to totally destroy winterfell and march to kings landing before finally being killed in the last episode with barely anyone left alive. O well. Thought episode 4 was great though. Built nicely w/o being boring ala episodes 1 and 2.
Show Love Spread Love
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#333 » by Feed Your Head » Thu May 9, 2019 4:13 pm

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#334 » by threrf23 » Thu May 9, 2019 5:02 pm

The Comedian wrote:

I hope it exceeds expectations after Kyrie Chapter I
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#335 » by OFWGKTA » Sat May 11, 2019 4:57 am

If you're ever sleep deprived, hours awake 36.5 to 41 is the sweet spot, big decline from 41-42, not gonna have an update for 43.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#336 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat May 11, 2019 5:00 am

This looks great. Sean Fennessy has a positive write up of it on The Ringer website.

Unfortunately we don't get Showtime here in Oz, not sure how I am going to get to watch it yet.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,684

Post#337 » by Romeiro Celtic » Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Don't know if you guys heard it yet, this is one of the songs of the new Morrissey's album "California Son", there are only cover songs.

Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#338 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Episode 1 of Chernobyl on hbo...slow burn but intrigued me to see how those in power botched the catastrophe. Think as it moves forward it will get real good
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#339 » by jmr07019 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 am

Dany :o good episode
Show Love Spread Love
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#340 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 am