ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1441 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 7, 2019 7:52 pm

A weirder premise is that he was hungover on Saturday and, I guess, is still feeling the residual hangover from a drinking binge three days ago?
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#1442 » by fl311 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:59 pm

Negrodamus wrote:A weirder premise is that he was hungover on Saturday and, I guess, is still feeling the residual hangover from a drinking binge three days ago?

That would be quite the bender. Maybe that was the first time he drank and just went off the rails.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1443 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 7, 2019 8:37 pm

Hangovers don’t cause you to sneeze a lot lol. Guy was/is sick.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#1444 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2019 9:08 pm

Are people still thinking something else is up besides the flu? WTF! Some of you have watched way too much of the Xfiles. There's no conspiracy. He's at home now to get some rest, because unlike the movies, you don't get better in 2 hours from a cold. And for people wondering why you're vomiting, it can definitely happen with a cold. AN upper respiratory infection is what a cold/flu is. Sneezing is part of that. My god, how old are some of you, have you ever lived?
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,284

Post#1445 » by WestGOAT » Tue May 7, 2019 9:43 pm

Embiid probably overdid it in the weekend, probably too much cocaine and couldn't fall asleep. It's common to get sick after going a bit overboard.
spotted in Bologna
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#1446 » by cool93 » Tue May 7, 2019 9:51 pm

WestGOAT wrote:Embiid probably overdid it in the weekend, probably too much cocaine and couldn't fall asleep. It's common to get sick after going a bit overboard.

I think someone else overdid it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,507

Post#1447 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue May 7, 2019 10:06 pm

From what I heard it was the Heroin that he did early before the game. It was cocaine the night before. My gosh, professional athletes never get a virus. I mean, that's unheard of, it's like they are regular humans like we are. I'm glad we're a little more sensible over here about this. Some of the 76er groups on Facebook are off the chain over this.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1448 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 7, 2019 10:15 pm

I heard he got bit by a radioactive spider. Will be sort of sick in the short term but he’ll be jumping 20 feet and climbing up walls by the end of the week.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1449 » by BullyKing » Tue May 7, 2019 10:20 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I heard he got bit by a radioactive spider. Will be sort of sick in the short term but he’ll be jumping 20 feet and climbing up walls by the end of the week.

THEN WHY DIDN'T HE GET BIT TWO WEEKS AGO? COWARD
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#1450 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2019 7:50 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1451 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 am

So what does Joel need to do to get better at next season? Improve his three point shooting? Post game? Add more offensive moves to his arsenal? The fitness aspect is obviously huge, but next year he has to have more answers when he comes up against guys like Gasol if he intends to make the next step in his career.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#1452 » by youngcrev » Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:So what does Joel need to do to get better at next season? Improve his three point shooting? Post game? Add more offensive moves to his arsenal? The fitness aspect is obviously huge, but next year he has to have more answers when he comes up against guys like Gasol if he intends to make the next step in his career.

Spot up shooting from 3, pick and roll offense, passing out of the post, conditioning
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1453 » by Foshan » Sat May 25, 2019 3:48 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:So what does Joel need to do to get better at next season? Improve his three point shooting? Post game? Add more offensive moves to his arsenal? The fitness aspect is obviously huge, but next year he has to have more answers when he comes up against guys like Gasol if he intends to make the next step in his career.

Spot up shooting from 3, pick and roll offense, passing out of the post, conditioning

This. I'm actually not super concerned with post moves yet. He loves to play like a guard, and with some better conditioning, still has a few years where he can take guys off the dribble facing up. The games where he hits threes opens up so much for him because his guys have to jump out on his shot fake. Its only when the threes aren't falling and he has to attack a crowded paint that he takes really bad shots.

He also use to have a killer mid-range jumper/base line fade away. Didn't see that much of it from him this past season, at least not as much as the year before.

As far as post moves, I'd be fine with him settling into that in stage 2 of his career when he is either spotting up and shooting or posting up, and not quite so active with the ball.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1454 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 am

Well, obviously if he can improve his 3pt shot that would be huge, but I just doubt it he has it in him, his shot is fairly slow and he just doesn't look very good with it, and we know he has practiced it heavily.
He should focus on faceup midrange shot, I think he has forget about it and has focused too much on bully ball. To beat Horford and Gasol you need more finesse and touch shots, be it midrange or hook shots, they are too strong to be moved if you post up.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1455 » by 76ciology » Sat May 25, 2019 7:25 am

So much criticism at Ben. But Biid also needs to develop his shooting because he plays like a post prime Patrick Ewing in the playoffs.

He’s got to play at par with the other alphas of the top teams in the league like Kawhi and Giannis.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1456 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat May 25, 2019 7:36 am

76ciology wrote:So much criticism at Ben. But Biid also needs to develop his shooting because he plays like a post prime Patrick Ewing in the playoffs.

He’s got to play at par with the other alphas of the top teams in the league like Kawhi and Giannis.

The criticism on Ben is mainly that he doesn't even try to shoot in games, with Embiid it is more the fact he is just not good enough with it. He has practiced his shooting so much, and he shoots many 3s in games, he is just not good at it. It seems he lacks range and should focus more on midrange game, and while it is not an efficient shot overall, it matters more in playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1457 » by 76ciology » Sat May 25, 2019 7:52 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
76ciology wrote:So much criticism at Ben. But Biid also needs to develop his shooting because he plays like a post prime Patrick Ewing in the playoffs.

The criticism on Ben is mainly that he doesn't even try to shoot in games, with Embiid it is more the fact he is just not good enough with it. He has practiced his shooting so much, and he shoots many 3s in games, he is just not good at it. It seems he lacks range and should focus more on midrange game, and while it is not an efficient shot overall, it matters more in playoffs.

I look at it from a team perspective.

Even if Ben turns out to be an average shooter, we’d still struggle if Biid shoots like this. Ben being an elite shooter isn’t going to make Biid turn into shaq. He’s just not a freak like wilt, shaq or giannis

And if Biid turns out to be a good shooter, I’m fairly confident that we can make it to the finals even if Ben doesnt improve (realistic projection for me). I saw that in G5 against the Raps.

Biid is not a freak like shaq or giannis. He can’t force his way like those two. Biid has to improve his shooting and that includes his 3pt shooting.

I’m confident Biid can develop his shooting. He makes them in practice and has good fundamentals. But i want to see some improvement.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1458 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 am

76ciology wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Even if Ben turns out to be an average shooter, we’d still struggle if Biid shoots like this. Ben being an elite shooter isn’t going to make Biid turn into shaq. He’s just not a freak like wilt, shaq or giannis

And if Biid turns out to be a good shooter, I’m fairly confident that we can make it to the finals even if Ben doesnt improve (realistic projection for me). I saw that in G5 against the Raps.

Biid is not a freak like shaq or giannis. He can’t force his way like those two. Biid has to improve his shooting and that includes his 3pt shooting.

I’m confident Biid can develop his shooting. He makes them in practice and has good fundamentals. But i want to see some improvement.

The same Giannis getting schooled by Kawhi and the wall defense Toronto are throwing at him? To try and belittle Biid in relation to those players is astonishing to me. How many 7 foot plus guys can do what Joel can do? Really? Joel's handles are much better than those two for a start and I'd argue he's more nimble on his feet too and there's no doubt his jumper is better than both. A healthy Joel is every bit as good/freakish as Giannis and we saw that all three times they were on the same floor.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1459 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

The same Giannis getting schooled by Kawhi and the wall defense Toronto are throwing at him? To try and belittle Biid in relation to those players is astonishing to me. How many 7 foot plus guys can do what Joel can do? Really? Joel's handles are much better than those two for a start and I'd argue he's more nimble on his feet too and there's no doubt his jumper is better than both. A healthy Joel is every bit as good/freakish as Giannis and we saw that all three times they were on the same floor.

Embiid handles are not better than Giannis, I remember he got the ball stripped by Gasol many times trying to drive, he is more careless with the ball. He has adequate handles for a 7ft tall player but that's it, it is not something that he should use heavily but only on some occasion.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Post#1460 » by phillynative » Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Joel is a very good ball handler for a center but he is not a better ballhandler than Giannis who can dribble in traffic.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers