ImageImageImageImage

What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next 4 year contract.

$30M
4%
$29M
No votes
$28M
1%
$27M
6%
$26M
1%
$25M
25%
$24M
14%
$23M
7%
$22M
15%
$21M
26%

Total votes: 72

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#1 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 7:04 pm

I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next contract. Time to get exact on where your feelings lie. I don't think at his age and position of leverage that he would ever sign a contract shorter than 4 years. So let's go with that.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#2 » by OrlandoNed » Tue May 7, 2019 7:29 pm

Went with 21 per, only because 20 wasn't an option.

We simply cannot afford to sign Vuc to an exorbitant contract and completely erase our cap flexibility for the next few years. I am NOT comfortable committing our team and cap for the next 3-5 years to a guy at the least valuable position in the game who completely disappeared in the playoffs. If we pay Vuc a dime more than what anybody else in the league would pay, I fear we will lock ourselves into NBA purgatory with a team with no financial flexibility with a ceiling of a 1st round exit until another inevitable rebuild.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#3 » by p0peye » Tue May 7, 2019 7:33 pm

Skin wrote:I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next contract. Time to get exact on where your feelings lie. I don't think at his age and position of leverage that he would ever sign a contract shorter than 4 years. So let's go with that.

IMO, this is not issue of average $$ per year, but more important is actual salary in year 3 and 4 as they affect his trade value at that point.

My breaking point in year 3 would be salary of $23M.

This means I could be OK with following contracts, depending on how we structure the deal:
- $96M / 4 years on decreasing contract (27/25/23/21)
- $92M / 4 years with equal $23M per year
- $80M / 4 years on increasing contract (17/19/21/23)

I strongly believe option 1 (decreasing contract) would be in best interest of both parties, but some team might offer better contract, though it shouldn't be by much (unless some GM loses his mind).
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#4 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:56 pm

I want Vuc at $20M per. I can be comfortable with that number.

But the question asks for “breaking point” which implies we have gone past comfort and reach a hard limit.

So my answer is $25M for this poll.

I will roll my eyes and be a bit frustrated with that number (ultimately a $100M / 4 year deal) but life will go on.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#5 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 9:25 pm

To be fair, difference between $23M and $26M is Grant type player. It's not really THAT big of a deal. But like many others, $25M is max i would go
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#6 » by fklt » Tue May 7, 2019 11:50 pm

I always feel like al horford is a relevant comparison for him. on his third contract, he signed for a salary starting at 26 per year and ending at 30, for the span of 4 years for celtics.

let's hope there's a little bit of loyalty discount out there somewhere from vuc, let's ignore the inflation and consider the fact that weltham likes decreasing contracts: a contract starting at 27 and ending at 23 spanning 4 years, with the average of 25 seems likely. personally I would 1-2 millions per year above that if need be, but I hope it won't be necessary.
Skin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:38 am

pepe1991 wrote:To be fair, difference between $23M and $26M is Grant type player. It's not really THAT big of a deal. But like many others, $25M is max i would go

If Vuc resigns with us for over $25M per year, I want you to be mad. :lol:
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#8 » by paperboymafia » Wed May 8, 2019 7:40 am

25 tops
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#9 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 8, 2019 1:31 pm

re signing him period....
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed May 8, 2019 1:32 pm

Vučević is eligible for a max contract of five years and $189.7M with the Magic, which averages to about $38M a year.

There are rumors that teams are considering a max contract of four years and $140.6, which is about $35M a year.

Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player. The idea that "anything above $25M" is a breaking point, I think a lot of fans will be severely disappointed; he will command more than that. For me I am holding out that Vučević will take a "pay-cut" to an average of less than $30M by the Magic adding a fifth year. That is key leverage for Orlando. For example, the 140M another team can spend, averaged over 5 years, leaves Vučević at $28M a year to stay with the Magic. I will call something in that range "my breaking point." I clicked $30M, as it would be hard for me to accept him on a 5-year, 30M-a-year deal. But 5-year, 28M-a-year deal, I could accept that.

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#11 » by MoMM » Wed May 8, 2019 3:21 pm

I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#12 » by drsd » Wed May 8, 2019 6:30 pm

MoMM wrote:I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.

Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.

Skin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:38 pm

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.

What an ugly contract. I'm bracing myself for it though. Not convinced this is a "very, very tradeable contract" though. It wasn't a tradeable contract when it was only $14M. Having the label of "All Star" but looking totally outmatched in the playoffs doesn't change that.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#14 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 8, 2019 6:57 pm

Skin wrote:
drsd wrote:

What an ugly contract. I'm bracing myself for it though. Not convinced this is a "very, very tradeable contract" though. It wasn't a tradeable contract when it was only $14M. Having the label of "All Star" but looking totally outmatched in the playoffs doesn't change that.

Not to mention even a little dip in his production 19-20 and he’s going to be labeled as the next Overpaid/Untradeable player.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#15 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2019 1:04 am

drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.

Says only a person who knows nothing of basketball or statistics.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 9, 2019 1:08 am

I just don't see any team paying over $22-24 mil per to lure any free agent to their team unless it is a superstar. Hence, if Magic pay more than that, they only bid against themselves.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#17 » by J_Magic » Thu May 9, 2019 4:11 am

Make it incentive based contract. Lets not overpay and outbid ourselves.

Vuc is a very good player and an asset against most teams.

20 million sounds right.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#18 » by Message Boar » Thu May 9, 2019 10:04 am

Went with $22 million. That doesn't mean that I would be truly angry if he resigns for 25mil per year or something in that range, but if I was the GM, $22 million on average would be as high as I would go.

As to where my breaking point would lie in terms of 'get mad when I hear the contract details', I'm not sure. I guess we'll pass that bridge when we get to it. 30 per year back-loaded would be rough, though.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,629

Post#19 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2019 11:28 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Skin wrote:
drsd wrote:

Not to mention even a little dip in his production 19-20 and he’s going to be labeled as the next Overpaid/Untradeable player.

If he DOESN'T have a dip in production next year...our FO isn't doing their job by building a better, more versatile team and developing the players around him. Vuc-centric bball works, but I'd say this was the ceiling. He's a great player but he'd probably agree that, in order for the team to progress - it can't be Vuc all day long.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#20 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu May 9, 2019 2:39 pm

drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.

I'd like to question it. Off the top of my head, at least 20 players better than Vuc:

LeBron, Curry, KD, Giannis, Harden, Westbrook, George, Lillard, Kyrie, AD, Embiid, Jokic, Kawhi, Paul, Butler, Oladipo, Towns, Beal, Wall, Derozan, Kemba, Griffin... not to mention younger guys like Simmons, Murray, Luka, Mitchell, Tatum

"Unquestionably" Vuc had a top 10 PER last year. Subjectively, he's a top 50 player. Lots of guys in the 20-50 range I'd rather have on this team.

Return to Orlando Magic