ImageImageImageImage

2019 Summer Orlando Magic Free Agency and trade

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: 2019 Orlando Magic Free Agency Summer 

Post#61 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 5:14 pm

Bensational wrote:I'm interested to see where Oubre's career goes from here, but happy not to be the team paying him $17M+ for that privilege. I think he's got the resources to pull more out of his game, but I'd rather the Magic be taking on a more 'sure thing' for that price, or taking cheaper gambles.

I think trades is where we might end up being most active. Once all the player movement begins, there will be left overs ripe for the taking. It all depends on how the biggest dominos fall.

KD signs with NYK, that's pretty much a given. (Maybe he signs with BKN, but I doubt it). Who signs with him? If it's Kyrie, then does Boston even bother trying to trade for AD and risk him bailing after 1 season? Does their offer become significantly less? Or do the Clippers offer up a bigger haul for him, and bring him over to team up with Kawhi - if he bails on Toronto?

So many big names that will likely switch teams and reshape the power balances. WeHam have been pretty good at waiting for the right deal to emerge that costs them little to nothing.

Reason I'm not as high on trades is because I don't think we have trade assets to bring back what you're seeking.

However, the one trade I can see being a big benefit to us is if we pull of a S&T for Oubre. First, we would have to make an offer that the Suns won't want to match. Second, we can offer them something so they feel like they can get something for nothing. The offer won't have to be great and salaries won't necessarily have to match. DJ Augustin, Evan Fournier, Melvin Frazier, Timofey Mozgov, future 2nd rounders can be had in my book.

By doing this, shouldn't we be able to keep Vuc too? :nod:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#62 » by Bensational » Tue May 7, 2019 10:56 pm

Skin wrote:
Spoiler:
Bensational wrote:I'm interested to see where Oubre's career goes from here, but happy not to be the team paying him $17M+ for that privilege. I think he's got the resources to pull more out of his game, but I'd rather the Magic be taking on a more 'sure thing' for that price, or taking cheaper gambles.

I think trades is where we might end up being most active. Once all the player movement begins, there will be left overs ripe for the taking. It all depends on how the biggest dominos fall.

KD signs with NYK, that's pretty much a given. (Maybe he signs with BKN, but I doubt it). Who signs with him? If it's Kyrie, then does Boston even bother trying to trade for AD and risk him bailing after 1 season? Does their offer become significantly less? Or do the Clippers offer up a bigger haul for him, and bring him over to team up with Kawhi - if he bails on Toronto?

So many big names that will likely switch teams and reshape the power balances. WeHam have been pretty good at waiting for the right deal to emerge that costs them little to nothing.

Reason I'm not as high on trades is because I don't think we have trade assets to bring back what you're seeking.

However, the one trade I can see being a big benefit to us is if we pull of a S&T for Oubre. First, we would have to make an offer that the Suns won't want to match. Second, we can offer them something so they feel like they can get something for nothing. The offer won't have to be great and salaries won't necessarily have to match. DJ Augustin, Evan Fournier, Melvin Frazier, Timofey Mozgov, future 2nd rounders can be had in my book.

Possibly, but Oubre probably fits the Suns better than Fournier as a SF, so I'm not sure I see their incentive to make that deal unless they want the promise of Fournier's shooting to help them push a pace and space offense? Even then, as much as I like Oubre, I've cooled on him to the point of being concerned about being lumped with a $17M deal over 4 seasons.

I'm now looking more towards some names that might come as 'bargains' in free agency. The two standing out to me at the moment are Tyreke Evans (credit to ezzzp for bringing that name to my attention), and Satoransky.

We only really have the cap space for one, unless we can orchestrate a sign and trade for Sato after signing Evans - and the only thing we could send back would be DJ plus some picks (future 2nds).

Evans could be the real gem, though. He could play a big PG role, and give us a guy who can penetrate, get to the rim or FT line, hit the 3, and make a pass. He was a 19ppg scorer last season in Memphis on solid efficiency.

Sato isn't a big scorer, but he's a tall, passing, rebounding PG who's a triple double threat on any given night like Elf - but he can hit the 3.

I'm sure there are other guys out there, too, but $10M on Evans or $6-8M on Sato is much better value to me than $17M on Oubre. Their potential to play into or over the value of those contracts is much higher, meaning they could become big trade assets in the future with comparatively less risk than Oubre.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#63 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 11:52 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
Spoiler:

Possibly, but Oubre probably fits the Suns better than Fournier as a SF, so I'm not sure I see their incentive to make that deal unless they want the promise of Fournier's shooting to help them push a pace and space offense? Even then, as much as I like Oubre, I've cooled on him to the point of being concerned about being lumped with a $17M deal over 4 seasons.

I'm now looking more towards some names that might come as 'bargains' in free agency. The two standing out to me at the moment are Tyreke Evans (credit to ezzzp for bringing that name to my attention), and Satoransky.

We only really have the cap space for one, unless we can orchestrate a sign and trade for Sato after signing Evans - and the only thing we could send back would be DJ plus some picks (future 2nds).

Evans could be the real gem, though. He could play a big PG role, and give us a guy who can penetrate, get to the rim or FT line, hit the 3, and make a pass. He was a 19ppg scorer last season in Memphis on solid efficiency.

Sato isn't a big scorer, but he's a tall, passing, rebounding PG who's a triple double threat on any given night like Elf - but he can hit the 3.

I'm sure there are other guys out there, too, but $10M on Evans or $6-8M on Sato is much better value to me than $17M on Oubre. Their potential to play into or over the value of those contracts is much higher, meaning they could become big trade assets in the future with comparatively less risk than Oubre.

I like the idea of Evans at that price tag. Has the size at the position, plus scoring. Short time filler to help us if we resign Vuc... that's fine.

I just don't see him being someone who could grow with the core of Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba the same way Oubre would. I'm more interested in long term sustainability.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Bensational » Wed May 8, 2019 12:06 am

Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
Spoiler:

I like the idea of Evans at that price tag. Has the size at the position, plus scoring. Short time filler to help us if we resign Vuc... that's fine.

I just don't see him being someone who could grow with the core of Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba the same way Oubre would. I'm more interested in long term sustainability.

I think our draft pick will be that future long term option. NAW could either be a great role player, or possibly surprise in a Mitchell/SGA sense. There are some other solid SG options, too.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/NAW
Evan's/Fultz

That's a team for the now and the future. If we could flip Fournier + Mozgov's + future lottery protected 1st for Conley, we could even be top 4 competitive in the short term.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon
Isaac/Iwundu
Evans/NAW
Conley/Fultz

Good rotations should balance the youth and experience.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 582

Post#65 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2019 1:28 am

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I think our draft pick will be that future long term option. NAW could either be a great role player, or possibly surprise in a Mitchell/SGA sense. There are some other solid SG options, too.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/NAW
Evan's/Fultz

That's a team for the now and the future. If we could flip Fournier + Mozgov's + future lottery protected 1st for Conley, we could even be top 4 competitive in the short term.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon
Isaac/Iwundu
Evans/NAW
Conley/Fultz

What is the fascination of Conley? How old is he? He has reached his prime and his best days are old news.

I'd rather go after Walker with a S&T possibly

But I think we need to resign Vuc.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#66 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed May 8, 2019 2:11 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:I like the idea of Evans at that price tag. Has the size at the position, plus scoring. Short time filler to help us if we resign Vuc... that's fine.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/NAW
Evan's/Fultz

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon
Isaac/Iwundu
Evans/NAW
Conley/Fultz

What is the fascination of Conley? How old is he? He has reached his prime and his best days are old news.

I haven’t seen much of a fascination for Conley, but he’s a semi-realistic option that would be available for non significant assets.

Kemba on this team just isn’t very realistic. S&T’s happen so rarely these days I’m not sure it’s even worth discussing.

Look for this team to sign a guard/wing that can score and shoot with part of the MLE imo
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Bensational » Wed May 8, 2019 2:32 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:I like the idea of Evans at that price tag. Has the size at the position, plus scoring. Short time filler to help us if we resign Vuc... that's fine.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/NAW
Evan's/Fultz

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon
Isaac/Iwundu
Evans/NAW
Conley/Fultz

Conley is as old as DJ - but he plays at a hell of a lot higher standard. 21ppg, 6.5apg, shooting 36% from 3 on 6 attempts a game. Big body, can defend well. He's the perfect stabilising presence for the roster, and a playmaker who's capable of creating much better opportunities for the others with his ability to score.

I don't see a Kemba s&t being likely in any shape or form. Charlotte have no incentive to do that for us.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#68 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2019 2:45 am

Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/NAW
Evan's/Fultz

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon
Isaac/Iwundu
Evans/NAW
Conley/Fultz

Conley is as old as DJ - but he plays at a hell of a lot higher standard. 21ppg, 6.5apg, shooting 36% from 3 on 6 attempts a game. Big body, can defend well. He's the perfect stabilising presence for the roster, and a playmaker who's capable of creating much better opportunities for the others with his ability to score.

I don't see a Kemba s&t being likely in any shape or form. Charlotte have no incentive to do that for us.

Magic has DJ and Fultz at PG. By signing Conley, does that mean we are not going to invest largely on Fultz? Based on the board, he is going to our savior

btw how realistic of Conley trade? Do we have mutual interest? Or it is just a fan perspective
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Bensational » Wed May 8, 2019 2:49 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

Magic has DJ and Fultz at PG. By signing Conley, does that mean we are not going to invest largely on Fultz? Based on the board, he is going to our savior

btw how realistic of Conley trade? Do we have mutual interest? Or it is just a fan perspective

Fan perspective, based on Memphis possibly looking to start a big rebuild. They traded Gasol already for not much. Conley is on a big deal, so may not fetch all that many suitors on the trade market. And his deal only runs 2 more seasons, making him perfect to carry the load whilst Fultz gets back to form. DJ shouldn't be a factor for anyone.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#70 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2019 2:55 am

If both Orlando and Kemba want the deal done, I am not seeing a way we couldn't.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#71 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2019 3:11 am

Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Fan perspective, based on Memphis possibly looking to start a big rebuild. They traded Gasol already for not much. Conley is on a big deal, so may not fetch all that many suitors on the trade market. And his deal only runs 2 more seasons, making him perfect to carry the load whilst Fultz gets back to form. DJ shouldn't be a factor for anyone.

Thanks Bensational.

What other realistic trade option do we have besides Conley? I'd trade Fournier, Mozgov expiring contract and our 1st rounder for some valuable piece.

I think Fultz will be our sixth man short term until he gets to his old form.

But man, I am really hoping for some improvement this summer. Status Quo just doesn't do it for me. Opinion?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#72 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2019 4:13 am

MasterGMer wrote:If both Orlando and Kemba want the deal done, I am not seeing a way we couldn't.

depends on the contract
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#73 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Wed May 8, 2019 7:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:If both Orlando and Kemba want the deal done, I am not seeing a way we couldn't.

depends on the contract

Ehh, not really.

If Kemba is willingly wanting to come here you do whatever it takes to get him in Magic blue.

We're in zero position to be mulling over a few million dollars a year.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#74 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

depends on the contract

Ehh, not really.

If Kemba is willingly wanting to come here you do whatever it takes to get him in Magic blue.

your opinion, and one ill disagree with. Kemba is 29, 4 years at $140 mil is a huge gamble for a player that relies a lot on athleticism.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#75 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Wed May 8, 2019 9:28 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:depends on the contract

Ehh, not really.

your opinion, and one ill disagree with. Kemba is 29, 4 years at $140 mil is a huge gamble for a player that relies a lot on athleticism.

You speak of Kemba like he has degenerative knees or a history of injuries or plays above the rim, none of which he has or does.

If I remember correctly you were also against us trading for Bledsoe prior to his departure to the Bucks, understandably given his real injury concerns. Even with real injury history the Bucks took the gamble and has proven his value and is now a pivotal piece on a contending team.

It just goes to show where we're at as a fanbase where we can say with a straight face that we do not want to sign an all-star player that immediately fills a position of need that we've been starved of for the last 7 -10 years and making up completely imaginary scenarios on why we shouldn't pay a player what he is worth where numerous of teams will do so in a heartbeat.

As always though I wholeheartedly respect your opinion.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#76 » by tiderulz » Thu May 9, 2019 1:33 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Ehh, not really.

You speak of Kemba like he has degenerative knees or a history of injuries or plays above the rim, none of which he has or does.

If I remember correctly you were also against us trading for Bledsoe prior to his departure to the Bucks, understandably given his real injury concerns. Even with real injury history the Bucks took the gamble and has proven his value and is now a pivotal piece on a contending team.

It just goes to show where we're at as a fanbase where we can say with a straight face that we do not want to sign an all-star player that immediately fills a position of need that we've been starved of for the last 7 -10 years and making up completely imaginary scenarios on why we shouldn't pay a player what he is worth where numerous of teams will do so in a heartbeat.

As always though I wholeheartedly respect your opinion.

and remember, i didnt say i dont want him. I said i would be cautious about throwing out a max deal. im just not sure Kemba is a max deal player. there are a lot of teams regretting the big money they have thrown out.
Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 237

Post#77 » by Magic4champ » Thu May 9, 2019 2:06 am

East next year will be a Giannis vs Kawhi conference. Philadelphia, Boston will be a team on a flux with key free agts that ca either bolt out. The key is patience as the team is getting stronger. We are already a playoff caliber defensive juggernaut. An offensive force of a player away from the elite in the east. I think Durant and Klay will stay in the West conference as they know its alraedu a Giannis and Kawhi East conference.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Bensational » Thu May 9, 2019 2:16 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

Thanks Bensational.

What other realistic trade option do we have besides Conley? I'd trade Fournier, Mozgov expiring contract and our 1st rounder for some valuable piece.

I think Fultz will be our sixth man short term until he gets to his old form.

But man, I am really hoping for some improvement this summer. Status Quo just doesn't do it for me. Opinion?

Not sure mate. Could go any which way, and there's a lot of differing opinions on how to approach it. It's all subjective. WeHam have demonstrated patience, so they could very well maintain with what we've got, but pursue low cost additions. Wouldn't surprise me, and wouldn't be bad.

Or, they might be forced into a new direction depending on Vuc's decision. Who knows?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Bensational » Thu May 9, 2019 2:32 am

OK, so I'm thinking about how the league might reshape this summer.

NYK
trade: 2019 1st + DSJr + Knox + Lance for AD. (They might have to add Knox, Ntilikina or Robinson).
sign: KD + Kyrie.

Robinson
AD
KD
Dotson
Kyrie

LAC
sign: Kawhi + Butler + veteran C on a discount (Robin Lopez? Dedmon? Cousins?)

X/Zubac
Gallinari/Harrell
Kawhi
Butler
SGA/LouWill

LAL
trade: Ball + Ingram + Hart 2019 1st for Beal
sign: Kemba

McGee
Kuzma
LeBron
Beal
Kemba

will add to this as more thoughts come to me, and the ripple effects flow to other teams.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#80 » by Hogified05 » Thu May 9, 2019 3:38 am

Austin Rivers worth signing you think? Been playing good in the playoffs. Be nice to see an Orlando kid on the team. Add depth to the bench, no T Ross but if Ross leaves could work. Maybe playing in Orlando will add motivation for him
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...

Return to Orlando Magic