With Uncertainty Comes Opportunity

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

With Uncertainty Comes Opportunity 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu May 2, 2019 4:38 pm

I know most didn't like it when I said it last September, but my analysis was spot on in that we needed a legit second go-to scorer in order to advance further into the playoffs. Sure, our style keeps us in games and allows us to beat the mediocre teams during the regular season, but against teams with actual talent (like Boston), we are helpless, and now face an uncertain upcoming offseason as a result.

I had the right idea with Harris and Bledsoe last fall, but it's just not going to happen. Bledsoe signed an extension with Milwuakee, while the FA availability of Harris is up in the air at this point.

One thing is for sure, with uncertainty comes opportunity, and I think we could all agree that we're better-equipped to go through this process with Pritchard as GM than Bird. :D
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: With Uncertainty Comes Opportunity 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu May 2, 2019 5:12 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:I know most didn't like it when I said it last September, but my analysis was spot on in that we needed a legit second go-to scorer in order to advance further into the playoffs.

and we thought we had one in Evans. he was a 19 point scorer elsewhere. but he didn't fit, wasn't healthy, and then we lost our first scorer. Bogie stepped up but no one stepped up behind him.

plus a year ago we made a conscious decision to keep the gang together as a reward for the 1st 48 win season. you only need to listen to this week's presser to know that Pritchard plans to be much more aggressive this summer.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 2, 2019 6:14 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:I know most didn't like it when I said it last September, but my analysis was spot on in that we needed a legit second go-to scorer in order to advance further into the playoffs. Sure, our style keeps us in games and allows us to beat the mediocre teams during the regular season, but against teams with actual talent (like Boston), we are helpless, and now face an uncertain upcoming offseason as a result.

I had the right idea with Harris and Bledsoe last fall, but it's just not going to happen. Bledsoe signed an extension with Milwuakee, while the FA availability of Harris is up in the air at this point.

One thing is for sure, with uncertainty comes opportunity, and I think we could all agree that we're better-equipped to go through this process with Pritchard as GM than Bird. :D

I think the whole losing our superstar player for the season probably hurt us a bit in the playoffs against Boston, don’t ya think? If Oladipo is playing, then Bogey is the second scorer. Or did you want a 3rd scorer?

Ultimately, more talent is always better. But if I recall, you advocated giving away a whole lot of talent in Myles and others to add essentially just Bledsoe or Tobias. Not both. And not a net addition of talent. Just swapping cheaper for more expensive talent.

I’m all for adding talent, as we all are. But if you want to take credit for “see, I said we should add more talent”, just make sure you also take the credit for “I wanted to give up a ton of extra talent to just have my favorite players” too.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 2, 2019 9:56 pm

Even if we got Bledsoe and Tobias for free and Vic was healthy, how far do you think a team like that goes? Say we just sub those guys in for DC and Bogie since we'd have to give up something.

Bledsoe/CoJo
Vic/
Tobias/Doug
Thad/Leaf
Myles/Domas

Meh, that kind of looks like a 2nd round team to me whose upside is largely limited to Myles/Domas improvements and hitting on picks.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#5 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri May 3, 2019 6:39 pm

Let's just get 12 legit scorers. Who would beat us then?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,276

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Fri May 3, 2019 9:54 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Let's just get 12 legit scorers. Who would beat us then?

No way that Herb Simon pays 12 max contracts. Clearly he isn't willing to spend to win.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#7 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon May 6, 2019 3:29 pm

boomershadow wrote:

No way that Herb Simon pays 12 max contracts. Clearly he isn't willing to spend to win.

It was sarcasm. Of course everyone wants more scorers.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,276

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Mon May 6, 2019 7:17 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

It was sarcasm. Of course everyone wants more scorers.

So was mine. There is a very vocal minority of Pacer fans online that seem to think that because we're not already paying the luxury tax, it must be because Herb Simon doesn't care about winning and never will. Even though, realistically, most teams aren't in the tax, and we are less likely to pay it as a small market team than most. But that certain element of the fanbase probably wouldn't be appeased even if we did pay 12 max contracts.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Mon May 6, 2019 7:19 pm

With repeater tax penalties, unless its really worth it, it's even dumber than before to be paying the tax. We haven't had a team worth paying the tax in quite some time.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 6, 2019 11:09 pm

Kinda like NBA 2K.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 6, 2019 11:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:I know most didn't like it when I said it last September, but my analysis was spot on in that we needed a legit second go-to scorer in order to advance further into the playoffs.

and we thought we had one in Evans. he was a 19 point scorer elsewhere. but he didn't fit, wasn't healthy, and then we lost our first scorer. Bogie stepped up but no one stepped up behind him.

plus a year ago we made a conscious decision to keep the gang together as a reward for the 1st 48 win season. you only need to listen to this week's presser to know that Pritchard plans to be much more aggressive this summer.

it will be interesting to see what they do. I know one thing you can't make guys sign with you. So if we can sign someone great I'm not counting on any big signings and it's not the team's fault if we don't get this guy or that guy. Fact is Indianapolis does not draw guys unless he's just after a big paycheck. Kemba, Middleton, some other tier 2 player who wants a Max contract will find some team to give it to them. I just hope it's not us. Paying one of those guys $34 million is just not worth it.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue May 7, 2019 1:28 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

it will be interesting to see what they do. I know one thing you can't make guys sign with you. So if we can sign someone great I'm not counting on any big signings and it's not the team's fault if we don't get this guy or that guy. Fact is Indianapolis does not draw guys unless he's just after a big paycheck. Kemba, Middleton, some other tier 2 player who wants a Max contract will find some team to give it to them. I just hope it's not us. Paying one of those guys $34 million is just not worth it.

We need scorers. What do you mean guys don't have to sign here? When you want more talent or scorers they just come if you want them right? That is how easy some on here can make it seem. Like the other 29 teams in the league aren't interested in acquiring more talent. You just go get them. Easy. Done.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 7, 2019 5:17 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

We need scorers. What do you mean guys don't have to sign here? When you want more talent or scorers they just come if you want them right? That is how easy some on here can make it seem. Like the other 29 teams in the league aren't interested in acquiring more talent. You just go get them. Easy. Done.

And at a discount, too!

Remember the year Webber visited here when Isiah was coach and all we had was the MLE? Man, that was funny times. That was before these boards, I think. Or at least before my time on the boards, but the local news and paper went crazy over it.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:17 pm

Anyone like Kelly Oubre? How much do you guys think it will take to sign him. Phoenix has Jackson, Warren and Bridges at SF. I doubt they give him any kind of an offer but he was playing well when he got hurt at the end of the season. Could some team get stupid and give him $20 million? Not me.
pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Post#15 » by pacers70 » Wed May 8, 2019 4:42 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Anyone like Kelly Oubre? How much do you guys think it will take to sign him. Phoenix has Jackson, Warren and Bridges at SF. I doubt they give him any kind of an offer but he was playing well when he got hurt at the end of the season. Could some team get stupid and give him $20 million? Not me.

Oubre has the physical tools but he can't shoot the 3. He is a career 32% three point shooter. Even last season with Phoenix when he had an opportunity to play and take 3's he only shot 32.5 %.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2019 8:37 pm

I generally don’t love players that only tried hard in he last month or two before their new contract comes up. If he comes affordably, I’d be interested to develop him. But I’m not diving in deep to pay him full market.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed May 8, 2019 8:43 pm

pacers70 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Anyone like Kelly Oubre? How much do you guys think it will take to sign him. Phoenix has Jackson, Warren and Bridges at SF. I doubt they give him any kind of an offer but he was playing well when he got hurt at the end of the season. Could some team get stupid and give him $20 million? Not me.

Oubre has the physical tools but he can't shoot the 3. He is a career 32% three point shooter. Even last season with Phoenix when he had an opportunity to play and take 3's he only shot 32.5 %.

Oubre has the skills I think he's trying to do too much. His 3pt shot would improve a lot if he was a little more selective. If he was on a better team where he didn't have to "do to much" I can see his shot improving. 32.5% is not terrible but it's not what you want your starting SF or SG doing.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if he comes at the right price say 4 years $11 million per year with a player option yr 4. Any more than that and it seems like an over pay. Especially when we can likely get Bogie back for $15 million.
IMF
Junior
And1: 720

Post#18 » by IMF » Wed May 8, 2019 8:50 pm

I think the Pacers should make a play for Jrue Holiday, unlike many of these guys he'll likely be available. Pelicans will tear down after AD is traded.

I think a Holiday/Oladipo backcourt could be something, Holiday has a very complete game. I imagine it'd be built around a brothers swap ala the Gasol deal. Let the rebuilding team have the prospect Holiday and we'll take the win now Holiday.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed May 8, 2019 8:54 pm

IMF wrote:I think the Pacers should make a play for Jrue Holiday, unlike many of these guys he'll likely be available. Pelicans will tear down after AD is traded.

I think a Holiday/Oladipo backcourt could be something, Holiday has a very complete game. I imagine it'd be built around a brothers swap ala the Gasol deal. Let the rebuilding team have the prospect Holiday and we'll take the win now Holiday.

They are gonna want a significant return for Jrue, do you think Aaron, TJ Leaf and #18 pick will get it done?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#20 » by Tom White » Wed May 8, 2019 9:17 pm

IMF wrote:I think the Pacers should make a play for Jrue Holiday, unlike many of these guys he'll likely be available. Pelicans will tear down after AD is traded.

Or they will make him one of their keystone building blocks.

Return to Indiana Pacers