Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy, Danny Darko

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Fan protest on Friday and Saturday outside Staples 

Post#1 » by Dr Aki » Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 am

Apparently this has been picked up by local media

Read on Twitter

Basically the protest is about Jeannie and the Rambii's undue influence.

It's also apparently received LAPD approval
RamonSessions7
General Manager
And1: 2,057

Re: Fan protest on Friday and Saturday outside Staples 

Post#2 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:01 am

I mean I get it, but I’d never do it
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,080

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 am

It’s been picked up by a lot more than just local media

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
D.Brasco
Head Coach
And1: 3,514

Post#4 » by D.Brasco » Fri May 10, 2019 2:38 am

dockingsched wrote:It’s been picked up by a lot more than just local media

Read on Twitter

Lol ESPN gets their sources from Reddit now.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 11,711

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:45 am

Dr Aki wrote:Apparently this has been picked up by local media

Read on Twitter

Basically the protest is about Jeannie and the Rambii's undue influence.

It's also apparently received LAPD approval

By looking at the jerseys alone I know these protestors aren't representative of this forum.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,414

Post#6 » by Spens1 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:24 am

I mean, as their should be, 37-45 with Lebron James and then this circus in the front office, its about damn time really. We've gone back to the jimbo-buss days it seems.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 29,029

Post#7 » by Slava » Fri May 10, 2019 8:20 am

This great franchise is facing a protest over Kurt and Linda Rambis. FFS how did we even get here?
:king:
EggIsCooling
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#8 » by EggIsCooling » Fri May 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Knee jerk reaction... but understandable...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 1,322

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 pm

All this because of a 3 year deal
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 7,398

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Fri May 10, 2019 5:02 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:All this because of a 3 year deal

I mean, the Lue thing is just the last straw... This Org has been run like a High School Prom Committee for about a year now... At least since Magic started complaining about Luke 9 games into what he called a throw away season...

As embarrassing as the protest is, it's also I think, about time to start letting the FO know that they can't keep taking the fans for granted like they have been... Dr Buss was all about shutting up and putting the best possible product on the floor, Jeanie is all about over-exposure and flash... She seems to think she can sell anything to the fans and as long as she does it with a smile, we'll all keep eating up... All while they keep raising ticket prices...

I hate that we're at this point... But I think it's pretty much undeniable that we're already here.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 742

Post#11 » by myersia » Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:

I mean, the Lue thing is just the last straw... This Org has been run like a High School Prom Committee for about a year now... At least since Magic started complaining about Luke 9 games into what he called a throw away season...

As embarrassing as the protest is, it's also I think, about time to start letting the FO know that they can't keep taking the fans for granted like they have been... Dr Buss was all about shutting up and putting the best possible product on the floor, Jeanie is all about over-exposure and flash... She seems to think she can sell anything to the fans and as long as she does it with a smile, we'll all keep eating up... All while they keep raising ticket prices...

I hate that we're at this point... But I think it's pretty much undeniable that we're already here.

We all love Doctor Buss but let’s not give him to much credit in the mid 2000s. He too dropped the ball and took fans for granted with Kobe. Kobe’s trade demand helped change our story quite a bit. Hopefully this dumb protest will too

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 18,322

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Slava wrote:This great franchise is facing a protest over Kurt and Linda Rambis. FFS how did we even get here?

Almost a full decade of unchecked incompetency.
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald Trump

"Suck it, and keep on sucking" - Diego Maradona

"Don't ask me for my autograph. Ask me about the rage that's inside of me" - Dennis Scott
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 18,322

Post#13 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm

myersia wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

We all love Doctor Buss but let’s not give him to much credit in the mid 2000s. He too dropped the ball and took fans for granted with Kobe. Kobe’s trade demand helped change our story quite a bit. Hopefully this dumb protest will too

Also nearly blew up Showtime by trying to trade James Worthy behind Jerry West's back. Seemed like a decent enough guy, outside of the Hugh Hefner Lite sleazery. But he had a tremendous amount of good fortune during his tenure, most of it stemming from the fact that Mr. West was his GM.
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald Trump

"Suck it, and keep on sucking" - Diego Maradona

"Don't ask me for my autograph. Ask me about the rage that's inside of me" - Dennis Scott
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 125

Post#14 » by indilakeshow » Fri May 10, 2019 6:26 pm

EggIsCooling wrote:Knee jerk reaction... but understandable...

Yikes. Some of you are the dog in the burning room.

2012-13:
Lakers trade for aging Steve Nash, Dwight Howard. Nash plays a handful of games.
After 0-5 start, Lakers fire Mike Brown. Have the opportunity to Hire Phil Jackson, Hire Mike D'Antoni instead.
Dwight Howard refuses to run PnR (a key point of D'Antoni's system), Kobe ball is used instead
This is the last year the Lakers make the playoffs (Swept in the 1st round)

2013-14
Lakers extend Kobe's contract with a 2 year 40 million dollar contract. Lakers view it as rewarding loyalty, no one else does.
At one point, the lakers have Kendall Marshall as their starting point guard (a midseason, free agent acquisition).
Lakers finish the season out of the playoffs.

2014-2015
Mike D'Antoni resigns, Lakers hire Byron Scott--a coach who has been out of the league for several years, mostly to keep Kobe happy. It is unclear why Kobe needs this treatment in his last two years.
Lakers draft Julius Randle with the 7th pick (they would later fail to resign him and revoke his QO)
Lakers again, fail to make the playoffs.

2015-2016
Lakers draft D'Angelo Russell, Larry Nance Jr., and Anthony Brown. (None of these players are on the team today).
Lakers Fire Byron Scott, and Hire Luke Walton.
Lakers again, fail to make the playoffs.

2016-2017
Lakers draft Brandon Ingram and Ivaca Zubac (they later trade Zubac for garbage, Clippers laugh at them.)
Inexplicably sign Luol Deng and Timofy Mozgov to multiyear contracts.

_____________End Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak Era__________________
Lakers trade former and future 6th man of the year for Corey Brewer and a 1st round pick (Tony Bradley would be selected)
Lakers draft Lonzo Ball and Tony Bradley (Bradley is traded for Thomas Bryant and Josh Hart).
Lakers again, do not make the playoffs.

2017-2018
Lakers trade D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to the Nets for Brook Lopez and a 1st round pick (Kyle Kuzma)
Note: Timofey Mozgov a year later, Mozgov is traded for Dwight Howard (contract at 5 million) and a second round pick, suggesting that moving Mozgov so early was not necessary.
Lakers again, do not make the playoffs.

2018-2019
Lakers draft Mo Wagner. Meh.
Lakers sign Lebron James. USA! USA!
Lakers fail to make a trade for Anthony Davis, information is leaked that lakers offered their entire young core, damaging chemistry. NBA laughs at lakers ineptitude.
Lakers inquire with Jason Kidd about head coaching job, WHILE LUKE WALTON IS STILL ON THE JOB. Lakers are widely panned for this.
Magic Johnson resigns abruptly without telling anyone except the media. Lakers make no plans to replace him, and instead elevate inexperienced GM Rob Pelinka, basketball failure Kurt Rambis, and basketball unknown and wife of Kurt Rambis, Linda Rambis, to head all basketball operations.
Lakers and Luke Walton mutually agree to part ways.
Lakers set their search on Juwan Howard, Ty Lue, and Monty Williams. After insisting Jason Kidd is not part of the search, they interview Jason Kidd. (Also why are these the guys?!)
Buss family and Pelinka prefer Ty Lue, Kurt and Linda Rambis prefer Monty Williams. They stall until Monty is no longer available.
Lakers low ball Ty Lue (offer him less than his coaching gig in Cleveland) and demand that Rambis (Kurt) and Kidd be on his staff.
Lue balks at demands, ends negotiations and continues to cash Dan Gilbert's checks. Lakers fail to get their guy.
Lakers add Mike Woodson (315-365 career coaching record) Lionel Hollins (been out of the league since 2016), and Frank Vogel (fired by the Magic for a 54-110 coaching record)
Lakers add J.B. Bickerstaff to the interview list (48-97 career head coaching record, not counting interim status with Houston).

But sure, knee jerk.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm

myersia wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

No he didn't... Shaq demanded a trade... Insulted him in the process... Shaq admits that was his fault and Dr Buss was just trying to meet his wishes...

After you are forced to trade a guy like Shaq, you're bound to take a step back. But he and Mitch minimized it as best he could.

Kobe's trade demand did nothing... Other than make him look like a dufus. It's not like he and Mitch were passing up candidate after candidate and trying to get under the cap. I'm pretty sure they were paying tax the entire 2000s until Kobe retired.
And then the Gasol trade was in the works for months with Kobe and Mitch sneaking to Spain to meet with him in the summer before he was traded.
He let Phil walk a couple times, but Phil was demanding insane money for the time and walking around like he owned the place... he was known to skip meetings with Dr Buss and Mitch and just generally be hard to deal with. Plus Dr Buss wanted Showtime back in some form...
It was all for the fans.

But most importantly, he kept a tight ship and no one knew what was going on behind closed doors. I don't think that was all about the times either and no blogging, etc... He and Mitch just didn't share a whole lot. That was a huge factor in their success...
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
And1: 2,115

Post#16 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 10, 2019 6:59 pm

indilakeshow wrote:
EggIsCooling wrote:Knee jerk reaction... but understandable...

Yikes. Some of you are the dog in the burning room.
(laundry list)
But sure, knee jerk.

You forgot the hiring of Maginka, when Jerry West was available, interested, and then rebuffed. Magic as POBO and an experienced GM could have worked, an experienced POBO and Rob as GM even could have worked, the combination of the 2 was a disaster.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 29,029

Post#17 » by Slava » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm

LMAO some dude actually showed up with a mugshot of Jason Kidd.
:king:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:33 pm

I love LA...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#19 » by Kilroy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 pm

They should go around putting blindfolds on all the statues...
Laker1
Assistant Coach
And1: 76

Post#20 » by Laker1 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Kilroy wrote:They should go around putting blindfolds on all the statues...

Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Los Angeles Lakers