Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#761 » by REDDzone » Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm not a fan of either fighter but hope whoever wins fights more often than Rose has/does. To just randomly take 13 months off as champion kind of sucks.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#762 » by Bernman » Fri May 10, 2019 1:25 pm

You get what they're trying to do. It's a loss leader to get enough subscribers to ESPN+ in the interim. And hopefully for their sake they stay. They almost certainly will so long as the crash tendency is fixed. It's a great service otherwise imo. Although I'm a futbol guy and enjoy the secondary MMA leagues also.

It's just unfortunate for the fighters. They sign a deal with ppv points and then the dynamics are drastically changed afterward. Maybe that's part of the equation from the IMG-WME's standpoint. They're trying to suppress wages further to improve their bottom line that way. Theo Von went to his first UFC event and said Dana reminded him of a slave owner. Good instinct. Some fighters need to sue for materially changing contract terms between the sponsorships and this. But it would likely be those who are financially comfortable, which they're doing the best to prevent. I heard even before this athletes got 19% of revenue, compared to 50+% in major American sports.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#763 » by Jasen777 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Headliner wrote:Yup.
Max vs Dustin drew around 100K because of that idiotic buy in service. There is zero chance this does that number and i'd bet it will be closer to 40k.

The UFC and ESPN are idiots. If you are going to do this type of thing, you give Connor his 15 million to fight whoever and you kick it off with that fight. You need to load the first card so that people are subscribing and getting used to using it. When you put a fluff card like this one on, the first bit of confusion or complication people will give up and forget about it. No one cares about Rose.

Well ESPN is taking a risk here for the long term. I do wonder how ESPN+ will work together with Disney's streaming platform when they launch.

But the UFC's got guaranteed money. They don't even need to promote anymore, which they sucked at anyways.

Paying Conor his money for that first fight seems like they way to go, but they had a lot of issues with the first one. Imagine if 10 times more people were trying to watch it? Might not have been worth it...
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,470

Post#764 » by NZB2323 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 pm

I don't understand how this board can get so pumped up for Anthony Pettis and is so apathetic towards Rose. They have so many similarities.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#765 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Looks like Tony vs Cowboy in June is going to happen.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#766 » by Jasen777 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:57 am

I hope Tony isn't coming back before he's worked he's issues out...
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Post#767 » by High 5 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:10 am

Historically this is a fight that Cowboy always loses. I don't know if his dad strength will be enough to change that. But it does feel to me that Tony is overdue for a loss. He's had some close calls in the cage and all kinds of problems outside of it. And the Khabib matchup is clearly cursed. Crazy fight.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#768 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 am

I'm very curious to see if Cowboy can survive the 1st round. He is just always so bad in 1st rounds. I definitely think cowboy has a great chance in this fight because his striking is so precise and Tony seems to get rocked every fight he is in. This fight should be really fun. Almost a lock for fight of the night.

And you just gotta love Cowboy, June 8th and he is going to be on his 3rd fight for 2019.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#769 » by spykelee » Sat May 11, 2019 6:04 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I'm very curious to see if Cowboy can survive the 1st round. He is just always so bad in 1st rounds. I definitely think cowboy has a great chance in this fight because his striking is so precise and Tony seems to get rocked every fight he is in. This fight should be really fun. Almost a lock for fight of the night.

And you just gotta love Cowboy, June 8th and he is going to be on his 3rd fight for 2019.

Exactly. This guy seems to know something everyone else doesn't. How he manages to fight as often as he does without seemingly ever getting injured or pulling out of a fight is remarkable. 5 weeks turnaround! This guys unmatched.

And this is a tough scrap to pick. We all know what were gonna get from one side of this fight, but Tony is such a wildcard. I could see him coming out on fire and putting Donald away early, and I could see him hesitant and slowly picked apart as the fight wears on. I love Tony and he certainly deserves his shot, but I'm 100% behind cowboy for this one.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#770 » by Headliner » Sat May 11, 2019 10:02 am

NZB2323 wrote:I don't understand how this board can get so pumped up for Anthony Pettis and is so apathetic towards Rose. They have so many similarities.

Actual photo of Rose before her first title fight:

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#771 » by spykelee » Sat May 11, 2019 10:48 am

Are you sure that isn't Kawhi Leonard before game 7 Headliner?
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#772 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 pm

big fan of rose. really hope she delivers again.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#773 » by cowboyronnie » Sat May 11, 2019 9:17 pm

spykelee wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I'm very curious to see if Cowboy can survive the 1st round. He is just always so bad in 1st rounds. I definitely think cowboy has a great chance in this fight because his striking is so precise and Tony seems to get rocked every fight he is in. This fight should be really fun. Almost a lock for fight of the night.

Exactly. This guy seems to know something everyone else doesn't. How he manages to fight as often as he does without seemingly ever getting injured or pulling out of a fight is remarkable. 5 weeks turnaround! This guys unmatched.

And this is a tough scrap to pick. We all know what were gonna get from one side of this fight, but Tony is such a wildcard. I could see him coming out on fire and putting Donald away early, and I could see him hesitant and slowly picked apart as the fight wears on. I love Tony and he certainly deserves his shot, but I'm 100% behind cowboy for this one.

You would think that Tony needs to come out really strong. And that he will. It's an obvious gameplan. Cowboy was probably way too frank that he felt like isht before the fight and during the first two rounds of his last one.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#774 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I don't understand how this board can get so pumped up for Anthony Pettis and is so apathetic towards Rose. They have so many similarities.

I think a lot of people soured on Rose because her and Pat Barry are super cringey. From her PTSD from people punching and throwing stuff at a bus, to her latent psychic abilities, to her “im gonna change the world with my martial arts!”. It’s just like, shutttt uppppppp
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#775 » by Bernman » Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/nate-diaz-vs-anthony-pettis-confirmed-for-ufc-241-in-august-014435486.html

I've wanted to see that for a long while, since their war of words when Pettis was champ, and on paper it always projected to be a fun one. Also, it's someone at ww Pettis can actually handle physically. Another hybrid like himself. Both men shouldn't be compelled to pack on too much weight and be bloated in there.

In addition it could set up a revenge match against Nick if Pettis wins. Nobody has ever leaned into that marketing opportunity to create a great storyline.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#776 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 am

Oh wow. I like that fight a lot. Pettis don’t take any gimme fights.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#777 » by REDDzone » Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am

I like Edgar. But him getting a title fight after all his inactivity and recent KTFO loss over Volkanovsky who is 7-0 in the UFC and 20-1 overall with recent wins over Aldo/Mendes/Elkins is one of the biggest injustices in recent memory.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#778 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 pm

REDDzone wrote:I like Edgar. But him getting a title fight after all his inactivity and recent KTFO loss over Volkanovsky who is 7-0 in the UFC and 20-1 overall with recent wins over Aldo/Mendes/Elkins is one of the biggest injustices in recent memory.

Frankie gets a lot of undeserved title shots but he was in line to fight for the title until Max dropped out. I am actually really happy that they're doing this, it gives him one last shot before he retires. He didn't have to take the Ortega fight, so I am glad they returned the favor.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#779 » by REDDzone » Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I like Edgar. But him getting a title fight after all his inactivity and recent KTFO loss over Volkanovsky who is 7-0 in the UFC and 20-1 overall with recent wins over Aldo/Mendes/Elkins is one of the biggest injustices in recent memory.

Frankie gets a lot of undeserved title shots but he was in line to fight for the title until Max dropped out. I am actually really happy that they're doing this, it gives him one last shot before he retires. He didn't have to take the Ortega fight, so I am glad they returned the favor.

Yea, I don't expect people to agree with me because people love Frankie. He doesn't deserve it though and Volkanovski couldn't be a more clear cut number one contender.

Also, no interest in seeing Frankie as champion. He's way too inactive and we have enough champions who fight once a year. Let's go Max.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#780 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 pm

REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

Yea, I don't expect people to agree with me because people love Frankie. He doesn't deserve it though and Volkanovski couldn't be a more clear cut number one contender.

Also, no interest in seeing Frankie as champion. He's way too inactive and we have enough champions who fight once a year. Let's go Max.

I find a lot of people are hating against this. Cody getting an immediate rematch for the title was way worse than this, imo. And despite the win, Edgar getting a shot at BJ was even worse than this one.
Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts