ImageImageImage

**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1541 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Karl is a beast but I don’t think he will get all nba 3rd team. Gobert will get it because he cried when he didn’t make the all star game.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1542 » by minimus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Hampton wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
Hampton wrote:So what did Minnesota win this year 36 games? Seriously is karl-anthony towns really that good? I would think a really good player could get his team to at least 45 wins even if he doesn't have any help. Don't get me wrong he's an above-average player but he certainly nothing you can build your team around. Sorry that's just a fact the numbers back me up.

What was the point of that

Just don't think he's as good as what you people in Minnesota think he is. You won 47 games last year but as we found out that was mainly due to Jimmy Butler. I recall when everyone from Minnesota thought Kevin Love was so good , it turns out he really wasn't. I'm always very apprehensive of guys putting out good numbers on bad teams, really doesn't mean a lot.

You clearly didn't follow MIN this year.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#1543 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Hampton wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
Hampton wrote:So what did Minnesota win this year 36 games? Seriously is karl-anthony towns really that good? I would think a really good player could get his team to at least 45 wins even if he doesn't have any help. Don't get me wrong he's an above-average player but he certainly nothing you can build your team around. Sorry that's just a fact the numbers back me up.

Just don't think he's as good as what you people in Minnesota think he is. You won 47 games last year but as we found out that was mainly due to Jimmy Butler. I recall when everyone from Minnesota thought Kevin Love was so good , it turns out he really wasn't. I'm always very apprehensive of guys putting out good numbers on bad teams, really doesn't mean a lot.

Embiid is about one more knee injury away from his career ending and Ben Simmons can't shoot, also might lose Butler and Harris in FA... Go away
Hampton
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#1544 » by Hampton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
Hampton wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:

Embiid is about one more knee injury away from his career ending and Ben Simmons can't shoot, also might lose Butler and Harris in FA... Go away

Philadelphia will have 66 million dollars in cap space. I think the 76ers will be just fine. LoL
Sorry about that Andrew Wiggins contract.

by the way for your further education it's playoff season now that's when you play on after you're 82 games have been played if you're good enough. I figured you didn't know.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1545 » by Killboard » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Hampton wrote:Philadelphia will have 66 million dollars in cap space. I think the 76ers will be just fine. LoL
Sorry about that Andrew Wiggins contract. by the way for your further education it's playoff season now that's when you play on after you're 82 games have been played if you're good enough. I figured you didn't know.

Funny coming from a fan who franchise sucked deliberatly for 5 years to end up with someone who cant shoot, an injury prone C, 35 YO max Butler and trade up for Fultz.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,516

Post#1546 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Killboard wrote:
Hampton wrote:Philadelphia will have 66 million dollars in cap space. I think the 76ers will be just fine. LoL
Sorry about that Andrew Wiggins contract. by the way for your further education it's playoff season now that's when you play on after you're 82 games have been played if you're good enough. I figured you didn't know.

Funny coming from a fan who franchise sucked deliberatly for 5 years to end up with someone who cant shoot, an injury prone C, 35 YO max Butler and trade up for Fultz.

He doesn’t care, he’s just trolling.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#1547 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:56 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
shrink wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Really stupid how they didn't make that a non-cap bonus, I don't know what the NBA was thinking.

This defeats half the purpose of the rule.

Sure, the extra money is to give home teams some additional incentive they can offer to a star to stay put. However, the reason we even have cap holds and a salary cap is to create parity in the league. It’s not a perfect system, but we want good players to be paid more, and to go to other teams that can pay them, rather than all congregate on one or two winner cities.

The idea here is that if a player makes All NBA twice, he truly is a superstar. His on-court contribution is worth more than the traditional max deal player, and he’s probably still underpaid with the extra 5% of the cap on his salary. The league wants that money to have a cap hold, because it SHOULD be harder for a team with a superstar to throw money at other stars.

Boooooo. That seems like it penalizes the team for a guy making the all NBA team. Not only does that hamstring us by making it harder to sign Mid level players with that extra 5-6 mil, it make FA's not want to come because we cant pay them. (That 5-6 mil might help persuade them.)

A few comments:

If KAT is a 3rd team all-nba player this year, it is because New Orleans screwed around with Anthony Davis playing time all year.

While Karl had the best year of his career, the emergence of Embiid and Yokic actually bumped him down the center ladder.

If the NBA is tying salary bonuses to awards like this, the awards should be position-less in my opinion. If you are named one of the top 15 players in the NBA two times, then you are a superstar. If you are the 23rd best player in the league two separate years, but you just happen to play a position that doesn't have the same caliber of players as other positions, you shouldn't be considered a superstar. Not saying that this would or would not apply to KAT, but for parity's sake, that is how it should work.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,424

Post#1548 » by shrink » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:03 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#1549 » by yawner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
shrink wrote:This defeats half the purpose of the rule.

Sure, the extra money is to give home teams some additional incentive they can offer to a star to stay put. However, the reason we even have cap holds and a salary cap is to create parity in the league. It’s not a perfect system, but we want good players to be paid more, and to go to other teams that can pay them, rather than all congregate on one or two winner cities.

The idea here is that if a player makes All NBA twice, he truly is a superstar. His on-court contribution is worth more than the traditional max deal player, and he’s probably still underpaid with the extra 5% of the cap on his salary. The league wants that money to have a cap hold, because it SHOULD be harder for a team with a superstar to throw money at other stars.

Boooooo. That seems like it penalizes the team for a guy making the all NBA team. Not only does that hamstring us by making it harder to sign Mid level players with that extra 5-6 mil, it make FA's not want to come because we cant pay them. (That 5-6 mil might help persuade them.)

A few comments:

If KAT is a 3rd team all-nba player this year, it is because New Orleans screwed around with Anthony Davis playing time all year.

While Karl had the best year of his career, the emergence of Embiid and Yokic actually bumped him down the center ladder.

If the NBA is tying salary bonuses to awards like this, the awards should be position-less in my opinion. If you are named one of the top 15 players in the NBA two times, then you are a superstar. If you are the 23rd best player in the league two separate years, but you just happen to play a position that doesn't have the same caliber of players as other positions, you shouldn't be considered a superstar. Not saying that this would or would not apply to KAT, but for parity's sake, that is how it should work.

The Pelicans have screwed around with Davis, but not as much as the Wolves with Towns. I think that it must be taken into account that Thibodeau didn´t want to maximise Towns, and therefore, he underperformed before the coach change. He was able to figure out how to play better (Ryan deserves some credit as well) although the offensive and defensive schemes didn´t help him at all. So, if Towns has been able to have the best year of his career under these circumstances, I think that he deserves massive credit.

I don´t like the max contracts´system either. For media members to decide which players get extra money, spoiling the salary cap of the franchises in the process, is a nonsense to me.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1550 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 2, 2019 2:46 am

When do we find out the All NBA teams?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1551 » by Klomp » Mon May 6, 2019 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1552 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2019 10:43 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I love the positivity. Hopefully though he is willing to get rid of players that are dragging the franchise down.
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 910

Post#1553 » by syrus3 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:07 pm

The West is too stacked. I’d like to see him return home and be with the Knicks. The only way it could probably happen is if the Knicks trade their pick.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,424

Post#1554 » by shrink » Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 pm

syrus3 wrote:The West is too stacked. I’d like to see him return home and be with the Knicks. The only way it could probably happen is if the Knicks trade their pick.

Oh, the only way MIN would trade Towns off his 5-year trade to the Knicks is if they traded their pick? “Probably?”

Remember the ridiculous haul you got for the injured Porzingas on a 1-year deal? Double it, and you’re still not there.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#1555 » by Grubie024 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:29 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I still have faith he will one day be MVP candidate. Need a better team though.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#1556 » by gandlogo » Sun May 12, 2019 1:18 am

Does Towns have the skill set to be Jokic? He shoots it well. Handles it well. Doesn’t screen as well, but can be learned. Seems like a willing passer. I would think the offensive philosophy will change and he won’t get as many post ups. But exchanges up high. Pick and roll. Pick and pop. Drive and dish. Drive and finish. 25/12/6 doesn’t seem unrealistic.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,516

Post#1557 » by Worm Guts » Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am

gandlogo wrote:Downs Towns have the skill set to be Jokic? He shoots it well. Handles it well. Doesn’t screen as well, but can be learned. Seems like a willing passer. I would think the offensive philosophy will change and he won’t get as many post ups. But exchanges up high. Pick and roll. Pick and pop. Drive and dish. Drive and finish. 25/12/6 doesn’t seem unrealistic.

Towns is a better scorer than Jokic, but not nearly the passer, or screener or defensive player. He can close the gap in some of those areas. He can be just as good of a player, but it won’t necessarily be in the same way.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#1558 » by gandlogo » Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 am

Worm Guts wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Does Towns have the skill set to be Jokic? He shoots it well. Handles it well. Doesn’t screen as well, but can be learned. Seems like a willing passer. I would think the offensive philosophy will change and he won’t get as many post ups. But exchanges up high. Pick and roll. Pick and pop. Drive and dish. Drive and finish. 25/12/6 doesn’t seem unrealistic.

Towns is a better scorer than Jokic, but not nearly the passer, or screener or defensive player. He can close the gap in some of those areas. He can be just as good of a player, but it won’t necessarily be in the same way.

I agree that Jokic is currently a better passer, but I think Towns could be if he wasn’t passing primarily out of the post during a double team. As I watched the high volume of touches Jokic gets, my brain thought a lot of what he does could translate to Towns if our offense was built that way.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1559 » by packforfreedom » Sun May 12, 2019 7:54 am

Jokic is probably the best passing center of all time. No way KAT has the same potential in this area. anyway, there should be no reason that he can't get 5 good assists per game. Especially out of double teams since most teams have decided to double him so soon as he catches the ball near the paint.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#1560 » by yawner » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm

KAT´s passing skills are very good. The fact that those skills are not as good as Jokic´s doesn´t mean he can´t play point-center, sometimes at least, or it can´t be a part of his game. We have to take into account the lack of offensive system they have suffered for years. If the Wolves can design and build a good offense, every player will seem different. And if Towns is the focal-point, I´m sure we will enjoy this team as we haven´t in a long long time.

Towns doesn´t need to be Jokic. Towns just needs to be himself and show even more improvement.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves