ImageImageImageImageImage

Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach, Kidd will be assistant

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Re: Lakers and Lue end contract talks, now considering Vogel, L. Hollins, Mike Woodson, Juwan, Kidd 

Post#641 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 64

Re: Woj: Vogel has become focus of coaching search, with Kidd strong candidate to be assistant 

Post#642 » by AGAVE » Sat May 11, 2019 8:05 pm

OK,
So Kidd is in a position to be retained,
Does this mean that the Lakers are intent on keeping with Lonzo & his development?

Any improvement of Lonzo could possibly make him more attractive down the road; whether we keep him or not.
Respect Elgin Baylor
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Re: Woj: Vogel has become focus of coaching search, with Kidd strong candidate to be assistant 

Post#643 » by ShaqFu » Sat May 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Vogel is a good coach. I live in Orlando and sadly, I have to watch the Magic. When he was fired the players were sad to see him go. He builds good relationships with his players and they end up buying into his defensively philosophy. His sets are very good on defense but very average on offense. Not a a great play caller out of time outs. Plays veterans a lot. To his defense, he did have a very young core to work with in Orlando. Inherited a team that wasn't ready to contend and that had traded Oladipo for a disgruntled Ibaka. He had no say in that trade.

I think he honestly did the best he could with what he was given. His lead assistant Chad Forcier from the Spurs organization was a great player coach for Gordon. I hope he brings him to LA. Kind and honest in his interviews during the game and after. You will like him as a person. A good offensive assistant coach is a must.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#644 » by myersia » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm

ShaqFu wrote:Vogel is a good coach. I live in Orlando and sadly, I have to watch the Magic. When he was fired the players were sad to see him go. He builds good relationships with his players and they end up buying into his defensively philosophy. His sets are very good on defense but very average on offense. Not a a great play caller out of time outs. Plays veterans a lot. To his defense, he did have a very young core to work with in Orlando. Inherited a team that wasn't ready to contend and that had traded Oladipo for a disgruntled Ibaka. He had no say in that trade.

I think he honestly did the best he could with what he was given. His lead assistant Chad Forcier from the Spurs organization was a great player coach for Gordon. I hope he brings him to LA. Kind and honest in his interviews during the game and after. You will like him as a person. A good offensive assistant coach is a must.

Thank you! All we need is a offensive minded assistant and we are good to go! Messina as the offensive assistant and bam

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Lakers and Lue end contract talks, now considering Vogel, L. Hollins, Mike Woodson, Juwan, Kidd 

Post#645 » by Pythagoras » Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Sushisensei26 wrote:Vogel is really no worse than Lue and better than Kidd. But the big question is what does Mr. James have to say about him.

I don't think he'd accept a assistant role but Joerger would be a good get. If someone in our "front office" has such a hard on for Kidd just frickin hire him as a consultant to work with Lonzo. Just keep him away from the coaching staff.

Although I wouldn't let that snake into the house at all. Can only cause problems down the road.

Agree on Vogel and agree on Kidd. Adding Kidd doesn’t even address Lonzo’s real problem which is his shooting. Lonzo needs to be in the 35% 3pt/ 70% FT shooting range. Otherwise I don’t even know what Kidd is supposed to teach him.
Numbers rule the universe.
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#646 » by ShaqFu » Sat May 11, 2019 8:49 pm

myersia wrote:
ShaqFu wrote:Vogel is a good coach. I live in Orlando and sadly, I have to watch the Magic. When he was fired the players were sad to see him go. He builds good relationships with his players and they end up buying into his defensively philosophy. His sets are very good on defense but very average on offense. Not a a great play caller out of time outs. Plays veterans a lot. To his defense, he did have a very young core to work with in Orlando. Inherited a team that wasn't ready to contend and that had traded Oladipo for a disgruntled Ibaka. He had no say in that trade.

Thank you! All we need is a offensive minded assistant and we are good to go! Messina as the offensive assistant and bam

Yes, absolutely. Again, he didn't have a star like PG in Indiana on those Orlando teams. His best wing option was Evan Fournier (who flourished BTW, under his system) and best post presence was Vucevic. Orlando management, if I recall correctly, wanted to "win now" causing that trade for Ibaka and a signing of Bismarck Biyombo. That was before Orlando hired Weltman and Hammond and this dude named Alex Martins was influencing ownership (very similar to Rambis and Jeanie) to make basketball moves without any basketball experience. We have much better scorers than Orlando did back in those two seasons.

In short, my personal opinion, Vogel would do well in LA as long as his offense is improved. He ran very simple offensive sets that involved a lot of dribble hand offs. It wasn't fun to watch. Defensive sets were pretty disruptive.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#647 » by Slava » Sat May 11, 2019 9:12 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

Vogel would be the definition of a sitting duck in this scenario. :crazy:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#648 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter

The Lakers are planning to pair Jason Kidd with Vogel as an assistant coach, league sources said.

Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka has spent the past few days gathering information from those who have worked with both Vogel and Kidd about how they believe those two could complement each other on a Lakers coaching staff, league sources said.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
myersia
Analyst

Woj: Vogel has become focus of coaching search, with Kidd strong candidate to be assistant 

Post#649 » by myersia » Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Lakers are planning to pair Jason Kidd with Vogel as an assistant coach, league sources said.

Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka has spent the past few days gathering information from those who have worked with both Vogel and Kidd about how they believe those two could complement each other on a Lakers coaching staff, league sources said.

That’s productive. Finally something is happening. I’m all about Vogel. Kidd scares me. Update I read that wrong...Kidd as coach?!

myersia
Analyst

Post#650 » by myersia » Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm

myersia wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s productive. Finally something is happening. I’m all about Vogel. Kidd scares me. Update I read that wrong......Kidd as coach?!

myersia
Analyst

Post#651 » by myersia » Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Reasons like this is why we should wait https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253736/76ers-Could-Fire-Brett-Brown-If-They-Lose-Game-7-At-Raptors

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
myersia
Analyst

Post#652 » by myersia » Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 pm

myersia wrote:
myersia wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s productive. Finally something is happening. I’m all about Vogel. Kidd scares me. Update I read that wrong......Kidd as coach?!

Besides a double post I clearly read that wrong. I’m a hot mess

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#653 » by Kilroy » Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 pm

I think this 2-in-a-box approach smacks of Pelinka getting too cute... On paper I like the idea of complimentary talents working together to achieve something... But in reality, it could be a disaster with the 2 of them butting heads and then also butting heads with James/crew...
IDK... It just sounds like a gimmick...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#654 » by BEazy » Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Its official! Welcome to the Lakers Frank Vogel!

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach 

Post#655 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#656 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Well. Hope he turns out good
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#657 » by Slava » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Welp!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#658 » by TKainZero » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Okay...

I mean it makes sense... in that, it makes no sense and
the lakers have only been making bad descisons lately.
Has any fan base ever been complimentary about Vogel?

No idea If he is a LA guy or anything.
Can he handle the pressure?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
mc140
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#659 » by mc140 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Kidd is either fired or the head coach by this time next year. No way he stays an assistant long term.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach, Kidd will be assistant 

Post#660 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Lakers