ImageImageImage

Brett Brown : Not Today!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Brett Brown : Not Today! 

Post#1 » by Mik317 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:55 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2835743-76ers-rumors-brett-brown-has-little-chance-of-surviving-game-7-raptors-loss

Surprised no one broutght this up as it is making its rounds on Sixer Twitter.

Basically, Brett has to make the finals to keep his job.

That seems harsher than the early report of making it to the conference finals (although this could simply be the media making it juicier and that is still the actual case).

Brett Brown has been a fire rod around here all year. I think some make too much of how much the coach matters but then again some others do give him too much credit lol. Brett has his major flaws. His rotations are maddening, he is stubbornly in love w/ his system despite not having the parts to run it , plus he might be too close to Ben to push his buttons at this point. However, I do think he has made some strides on those during the playoffs. He benched TJ. He is running more PNR. And he took Ben off the ball. He also has made some solid adjustments all playoffs despite what many would say (putting Joel on Siakham; the aforementioned TJ benching against the Nets; ect.) That being said, I have always said I doubt Brett would be around when we truly contended....thats just how it goes during rebuilds, the rebuild coach tends to get fired and the next guy reaps all the benefits, see Mark Jackson, Doug Collins, Dell Harris. Hell we might be seeing this w/ Coach Bud this year.

However, we need to be careful of who we replace him w/. My guess is that Vogel, a local guy, is probably their target and with him getting pushed for the Lakers job...i wonder if this news getting out now is a way to make him wait. I also think Thibbs has a shot as a way to keep Jimmy here. People keep bringing up Jay Wright. One. I don't think he is THAT great of a coach. Two. Why the **** would he leave Nova, where he is a king, for a job in which he needs to win ASAP? Stevens left Butler for a rebuilding Celtics team...he had time to learn the NBA game.

But regardless of anything, I have no faith in this ownership group. They have shown to be reactionary and short sighted in damn near every one of their recent moves...even the ones that worked out. This feels like either them trying to show that they are serious or Elton trying to gain more power with his own guys.

Game 7 is going to be a big moment in this franchise's future lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: Brett Brown : End of Days? 

Post#2 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Brett has been impressive at times during this playoff run but I actually like the owners having a clear goal and there being consequences if they aren't met. We're clearly In "win now" mode and there's no time to be sentimental. Ty Lue, despite folks disrespecting him constantly, would and should be the number one target imo. A championship winning coach who knows how to coach star players, knows the East like the back of his jand and is still young. He'd have the respect of the big four imo because he's done what they all want to do which is to get out the East and win.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#3 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 11, 2019 10:24 pm

I’m gonna chose to believe this isn’t accurate. Regardless of what you think of Brown, leaving his job up to whether a team wins a game 7 on the road and then beats a 60 win team without home court is idiotic. Either he’s the guy or he’s not.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#4 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat May 11, 2019 10:44 pm

Go Raptors!
Great takes since 2024-04-20
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#5 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat May 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Go Raptors!

lol. Can we ban this idiot yet? Who do I need to pay?
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#6 » by USWAY » Sat May 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Honestly feel as though Brett has made some real progress as a playoff coach this year. I've been impressed.

If they go this route, they need to ensure they get someone who's as good a manager of egos as he is because he clearly is damn good at it, because most coaches wouldn't know what to do with all the **** that happened during the season (Brad Stevens). And at the end of the day, stars win championships, not coaches
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,560

Post#7 » by NYSixersFan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:19 pm

I'm not a fan of Brett, but if they win this game; he should keep his job
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#8 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I’m gonna chose to believe this isn’t accurate. Regardless of what you think of Brown, leaving his job up to whether a team wins a game 7 on the road and then beats a 60 win team without home court is idiotic. Either he’s the guy or he’s not.

I don’t even like Brett Brown that much, but he is doing some of the best coaching of his career over the last month. Embiid was largely ineffective for two games due to sickness. There is no obvious replacement candidate available, because I think he is a better coach than Ty Lue.

I’m not sure how this game is going to decide if he is a good coach or not.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#9 » by BullyKing » Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I’m gonna chose to believe this isn’t accurate. Regardless of what you think of Brown, leaving his job up to whether a team wins a game 7 on the road and then beats a 60 win team without home court is idiotic. Either he’s the guy or he’s not.

I don’t even like Brett Brown that much, but he is doing some of the best coaching of his career over the last month. Embiid was largely ineffective for two games due to sickness. There is no obvious replacement candidate available, because I think he is a better coach than Ty Lue.

Pretty much. Given the lack of interesting candidates out there, I'm really not sure the point of firing him now as opposed to giving him an offseason with this group and then being ready to give him the quick hook next season if necessary. And it's not like Harris and Brand have given us any reason to trust their decision making abilities.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#10 » by BullyKing » Sat May 11, 2019 11:29 pm

USWAY wrote:Honestly feel as though Brett has made some real progress as a playoff coach this year. I've been impressed.

If they go this route, they need to ensure they get someone who's as good a manager of egos as he is because he clearly is damn good at it, because most coaches wouldn't know what to do with all the **** that happened during the season (Brad Stevens). And at the end of the day, stars win championships, not coaches

This is spot on to me. With all but one or two coaches, you're choosing between a good game manager or a good manager of personalities (with most coaches possessing neither). Brett is far from a tactical genius but he at least appears to be a good leader of men. I'm really not sure what upgrade they think is out.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,505

Post#11 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't think that a loss tomorrow necessarily means Brown is gone. If we go out and lose by 35 points and the team isn't prepared for a game 7 then yeah....I think he's gone. If we lose at the buzzer or down to the wire by 1,2, or 3 points and play inspired hard nosed basketball and we came out prepared and with the right mindset he will be retained. Sometimes, HOW you lose can be the determining factor. I think this is BS though for the most part. Brown will be back provided we don't go out there and lay a toxic egg on their floor. He's gotta have these guys ready for war, he's gotta have the right game plan. There is definitely a lot riding on this game.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by BullyKing » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Go Raptors!

Your trolling this board is also at its End of Days.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#13 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:35 pm

BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Pretty much. Given the lack of interesting candidates out there, I'm really not sure the point of firing him now as opposed to giving him an offseason with this group and then being ready to give him the quick hook next season if necessary. And it's not like Harris and Brand have given us any reason to trust their decision making abilities.

Just hear me out here... *Head Coach* Bryan Colangelo
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#14 » by BullyKing » Sat May 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Just hear me out here... *Head Coach* Bryan Colangelo

With lead assistant Ms. Barbara Bottini and special adviser Douglas Collins.
NYSixersFan wrote:
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#15 » by VDT » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm

I dont think Brown is some coaching genius but he is not bad and he has been coaching pretty good lately and he hasnt really failed all these years. He kept the team playing hard during the tanking years, developed some players and overachieved last year.

I also dont really have any confidence in Brand to choose a new coach.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm

Harris and Brand made it clear publically that the East finals was the aim or they would be very disappointed if we didn't make it there. They didn't make these big moves just to go out in the second round again. Because whether we lose 4-1 to Boston or 4-3 to Toronto the result would still be the same, we would have failed to get out of the second round. Meanwhile there is a coach out there who got to three NBA finals in a row and won a championship. But folks will say "it was all Lebron" despite Lebron failing to make the playoffs since him and Ty stopped working together. Oh, and you know that Clippers team who just made the playoffs and gave Golden State fits? Ty Lue was Doc Rivers assistant this season. But hey, "Ty is trash" they say.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#17 » by fl311 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 pm

There are two ways Brett can lose his job. One, getting blown out and embarrassed tomorrow. Two, Jimmy will not resign if he returns
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#18 » by BullyKing » Sat May 11, 2019 11:45 pm

fl311 wrote:There are two ways Brett can lose his job. One, getting blown out and embarrassed tomorrow. Two, Jimmy will not resign if he returns

Is that still Butler's position or has he softened now that Brown is giving him more free reign on offense?
NYSixersFan wrote:
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 pm

fl311 wrote:There are two ways Brett can lose his job. One, getting blown out and embarrassed tomorrow. Two, Jimmy will not resign if he returns

Who do you think they would target if Brett does leave? Is there anyone they have their eye on?
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#20 » by fl311 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:48 pm

BullyKing wrote:

Is that still Butler's position or has he softened now that Brown is giving him more free reign on offense?

Last I had heard, he hadn’t changed his position. However, that was before the playoffs

Return to Philadelphia 76ers