ImageImageImageImageImage

Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach, Kidd will be assistant

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,577

Re: Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach, Kidd will be assistant 

Post#681 » by basketballRob » Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 pm

When Vogel was with the Magic we gave him no help with assistant coaches. He actually said that he not only had a new team but had to train the assistant coaches too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Re: Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach, Kidd will be assistant 

Post#682 » by dockingsched » Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 pm

Something to keep an eye on, one of Vogel’s former assistants in Orlando was Chad Forcier. He’s available and if brought in, could help in the pursuit of Kawhi.

Read on Twitter

In San Antonio from 2007-16, Chad Forcier was in charge of player development and was credited with the incredible rise of Spurs’ forward Kawhi Leonard. But to Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, Forcier always represented someone much more impactful than just a coach who worked out players after practice or before games.

Vogel recognized that as well and aggressively sought and landed Forcier as his lead assistant when putting his coaching staff together for his first season in Orlando. The high praise of Popovich certainly helped Forcier’s case for landing a job as an assistant coach in Orlando
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#683 » by TylersLakers » Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Whatever. I don’t care anymore.

This is hard to stomach as a fan. From the top down, this team is treading water.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#684 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:58 pm

dockingsched wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Woj has been getting every single leak since the Lue talks ended. I’m guessing the FO caved and developed a relationship with him. My guess is the ultimate goal is to use Woj to paint a positive light when they eventually use him to break the news that Phil and Kurt are running things with Rob.

No coincidence Woj is getting all the scoops now and sprinkling the Phil/Kurt influence stuff.

Except him pointing out the Phil Kurt thing does not seem like it would garner a favorable response to how we run our FO, since rambis is generally looked at as unqualified and meddling currently and most would point to Jackson’s run as a FOer in NY in a negative way.

Right, which is why the front office is leaking it now to get people’s surprise/anger out of the way. Same with Kidd, stories of him being considered as an assistant were leaked days ago, with very negative reaction.

Few days later it’s announced and the anger isn’t as prevalent cause people already accepted it as inevitable and expected it.

I guess it could be him watering down negativity, but it seems very similar to his other shots from the last 4 months.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Re: Confirmed: Frank Vogel has agreed to deal to become new head coach 

Post#685 » by ackypoo » Sun May 12, 2019 12:17 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Im quite interested with what J Kidd can do for the offense.

drive and kick iso ball. its garbage.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#686 » by BEazy » Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 am

I'm much more open to giving those two a chance than Ty "Yes LeBron" Lue.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 940

Post#687 » by Slink » Sun May 12, 2019 12:39 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

The whole “you have to have Kidd on your staff” probably played quite a role in limiting our coaching options. Hope he brings something to the table that he didn’t on his first two go arounds.

Kidd will be Jeanie's eyes and ears in the locker room.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#688 » by TyCobb » Sun May 12, 2019 12:44 am

Goodbye Lebron?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 64

Post#689 » by AGAVE » Sun May 12, 2019 12:50 am

TyCobb wrote:Goodbye Lebron?

Patience
Respect Elgin Baylor
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#690 » by KidA24 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:12 am

Hey all. Bucks fan here.

Let me give you my super brief JKidd rundown.

He's a terrible coach. He didn't develop young players at all - See MCW, Thon, Rashard Vaughn, Jabari.

He favored playing guys who offered no reasonable skill beyond looking like they tried hard or that were his friends (or friends kids) such as GP3, DeAndre Liggins and Miles Plumlee, and 54 year old Jason Terry.

He also ran an offense that regularly featured initiating it at the elbow through John Henson.

Yes. That elite playmaker, John Henson. Over Middleton, Brogdon or a Giannis.

I have no doubt he'll cause dysfunction in your locker room or on the coaching staff, he avoids blame, and forces it upon everyone else publicly to make himself look good (the opposite of what a good leader does).

Good luck with him.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#691 » by TyCobb » Sun May 12, 2019 1:28 am

Has anyone developed those players?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,094

Post#692 » by SlimShady83 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:33 am

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :meditate: :meditate: :meditate: :rockon:
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#693 » by NBAWestFan » Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 am

chefy12 wrote:Kidd and ball man. Solid move imo

Kidd is about developing Ball.

If Kidd and Magic can't do it then it is time to get rid of Ball.

Kidd has a high point guard basketball IQ as Magic which should be could for the point guards but
not necessarily material for running a team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#694 » by Kilroy » Sun May 12, 2019 1:57 am

In a vacuum, I'm cool with this... Kidd as HC would be traumatic for me, but Kidd as assistant and mentor for Ball, is awesome.

Vogel alone would be underwhelming for me... But with a top tier staff, I'm cool with it...

Now only if all these freaking personalities can get on the same page and stay there...

I need a response from LeBron really bad right now.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#695 » by dockingsched » Sun May 12, 2019 2:04 am

Kilroy wrote:In a vacuum, I'm cool with this... Kidd as HC would be traumatic for me, but Kidd as assistant and mentor for Ball, is awesome.

Vogel alone would be underwhelming for me... But with a top tier staff, I'm cool with it...

Now only if all these freaking personalities can get on the same page and stay there...

I need a response from LeBron really bad right now.

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
No name
Junior
And1: 117

Post#696 » by No name » Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 am

NBAWestFan wrote:
chefy12 wrote:Kidd and ball man. Solid move imo

Kidd is about developing Ball.

If Kidd and Magic can't do it then it is time to get rid of Ball.

Kidd has a high point guard basketball IQ as Magic which should be could for the point guards but
not necessarily material for running a team.

When was Magic developing Ball?
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#697 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun May 12, 2019 2:39 am

And hello Kawhi please. :D :D :D
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,567

Post#698 » by TroyD92 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:46 am

I'm so sorry
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,508

Post#699 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am

KidA24 wrote:Hey all. Bucks fan here.

Let me give you my super brief JKidd rundown.

He's a terrible coach. He didn't develop young players at all - See MCW, Thon, Rashard Vaughn, Jabari.

He favored playing guys who offered no reasonable skill beyond looking like they tried hard or that were his friends (or friends kids) such as GP3, DeAndre Liggins and Miles Plumlee, and 54 year old Jason Terry.

He also ran an offense that regularly featured initiating it at the elbow through John Henson.

Yes. That elite playmaker, John Henson. Over Middleton, Brogdon or a Giannis.

I have no doubt he'll cause dysfunction in your locker room or on the coaching staff, he avoids blame, and forces it upon everyone else publicly to make himself look good (the opposite of what a good leader does).

Good luck with him.

Giannis credits his development to Kidd and you can see a lot of what makes Giannis so good is replicating elements of Kidds game, things he developed while under Kidd.

Why do Bucks fans try to ignore this? The greatest thing you have is partly because of Kidd
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#700 » by john248 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 am

Can't say I'm happy. Vogel is more defensive orientated, and the reason he got fired in Indiana was because he was late to the game when it came to upping the pace and going with small line-ups when needed. And it was current Pacers assistant Dan Burke who was the architect of that defense and continues to develop it to this day. His offense has never been good. I don't see this as a step up from Walton who had offensive troubles of his own but at least got guys to buy in on defense aside from the post-AD drama. Too many voices in Jeannie's head right now and no one who replaced Magic to organize those thoughts. This is f-ing crazy.

And Kidd? Seriously?
The Last Word

Return to Los Angeles Lakers