ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,277

Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 am

Celtics key offseason dates: Player options, contract deadlines loom
By Darren Hartwell | May 09, 2019, 2:54 PM

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-key-offseason-dates-player-options-contract-deadlines-loom
May 14: NBA Draft Lottery (Chicago)

May 14-19: NBA Draft Combine (Chicago)

June 13: Deadline for Kyrie Irving, Aron Baynes to opt in to their 2019-20 contracts before hitting free agency. (Both players could opt out of their contracts and sign a new deal with Boston in free agency. Irving is expected to opt out of his contract regardless of where he signs to maximize his value on the open market.)

June 18: Deadline for Al Horford to opt in to his 2019-20 contract before hitting free agency.

June 20: 2019 NBA Draft

June 29: Deadline for Celtics to tender one-year qualifying offers to restricted free agents Terry Rozier, Daniel Theis, Jonathan Gibson and Brad Wanamaker.

July 1: NBA free agency begins.

July 1: Deadline to guarantee Semi Ojeyele's contract for the 2019-20 season.

July 1: The first day the Celtics can officially trade for Anthony Davis, due to the designated rookie exception rule.

July 5-15: 2019 NBA Summer League begins.

Key 2019 NBA Offseason Dates, Deadlines
By Luke Adams | April 15th 2019 at 4:02pm (CST)

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/04/key-2019-nba-offseason-dates-deadlines.html
May 29
Last day for early entrants to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain their NCAA eligibility (10:59pm CT).

June 10
Deadline for all early entrants (including international players) to withdraw from the NBA draft (4:00pm CT).

June 16
Latest possible end date for the NBA Finals.

June 20
NBA draft day.

June 24
Last day for potential restricted free agents to exercise player options.
NBA awards show.

June 29
Last day for decisions on player, team and early termination options, unless individual contracts specify otherwise.

June 30
Last official day of the 2018/19 NBA league year.
Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.
Last day for players eligible for veteran extensions in 2018/19 to sign them.

July 1
Official start of the 2019/20 NBA league year.
July moratorium begins.
Free agents can begin reaching verbal agreements with teams.
Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.

July 6
July moratorium ends (11:00am CT)
Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades.
The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.

July 13
Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

July 15
Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned first-round picks; those players become free agents on July 16 if not tendered.

August 31
Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2018/19 salaries.

August 31 – September 15
FIBA World Cup 2019 in China.

September 5
Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks; those players become free agents on September 6 if not tendered.

Late September (specific dates TBA)
Training camps open.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,934

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread, 2019 

Post#2 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 am

Here's hoping Danny's rebuilding arc ends better than Dany's character arc.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#3 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:40 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#4 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 am

If we do any trades I wouldn't mind PJ Dozier on the roster. Dude is great. I think he could be a fantastic role player and he's an NBA talent.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#5 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 am

Exit Interviews

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#6 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am

Parliament10 wrote:Exit Interviews

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Fully expect Hayward to have an all-star, even top 20 player type season next year, especially if Irving is gone. So many chips to fall. 8-)
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#7 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Hayward should definitely be better. Part of why he's been so competitively good -- tennis, basketball, gaming -- IMO is because he's a perfectionist. And when he's back to being able to play the way he expects and wants, I assume his confidence will be better.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,269

Post#8 » by chrisab123 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:If we do any trades I wouldn't mind PJ Dozier on the roster. Dude is great. I think he could be a fantastic role player and he's an NBA talent.

Eh I'm okay with him staying or leaving. He's a JAG. They better make some trades. With Kyrie leaving they're going to lose cap room without his salary being able to match up. Need to do a sign and trade.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#9 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Once Kyrie opts out of his player option on June 13th (or before), are we then technically able to trade for Anthony Davis?

The timeline interests me a bit. Danny pretty much has to commit to an Anthony Davis trade (draft night, most likely, assuming we send 1st round picks to NO) before Kyrie commits to us (July 1 or later).
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#10 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon May 13, 2019 2:45 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Once Kyrie opts out of his player option on June 13th (or before), are we then technically able to trade for Anthony Davis?

The timeline interests me a bit. Danny pretty much has to commit to an Anthony Davis trade (draft night, most likely, assuming we send 1st round picks to NO) before Kyrie commits to us (July 1 or later).

Hmm, Danny can talk to Irving and have a general idea of what Kyrie is thinking cause there is literally a month and a half till then. So hopefully Irving will know what he wants by then.
Good assessment:

TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#11 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Once Kyrie opts out of his player option on June 13th (or before), are we then technically able to trade for Anthony Davis?

Hmm, Danny can talk to Irving and have a general idea of what Kyrie is thinking cause there is literally a month and a half till then. So hopefully Irving will know what he wants by then.

Definitely, but Kyrie is fickle, to say the least.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#12 » by 3D Chess » Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Read this exceptional interview.

Jackie MacMullan Is the Great Chronicler of Basketball’s Golden Age

We’re battling a little upstream with that. We have all these meetings about what stories we’re going to cover. And we have to have forty stories about the Warriors, and forty stories about LeBron. I don’t want to do any of those stories. I want to write about Nikola Jokic. Bradley Beal. There’s a place for that. But we have all these people who track the statistics, the clicks. Please, God, don’t let my career hinge on clicks.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/jackie-macmullan-is-the-great-chronicler-of-basketballs-golden-age
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#13 » by Roddy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm

3D Chess wrote:Read this exceptional interview.

We’re battling a little upstream with that. We have all these meetings about what stories we’re going to cover. And we have to have forty stories about the Warriors, and forty stories about LeBron. I don’t want to do any of those stories. I want to write about Nikola Jokic. Bradley Beal. There’s a place for that. But we have all these people who track the statistics, the clicks. Please, God, don’t let my career hinge on clicks.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/jackie-macmullan-is-the-great-chronicler-of-basketballs-golden-age

Wow. Thank you very much. A great read. I love Jackie.

This make me fell angry AND smiling...

"I talked to a lot of writers who voted for All-N.B.A., and was like, “Did you leave him on or off?” There’s no right or wrong answer. I’m not suggesting he’s not one of the greatest basketball players—of course he is. But that’s not what this award is. It’s for the top fifteen players that season. And for a guy who said, “I’m not even going to play defense until the playoffs,” I’m just not going to vote for that guy. I was talking to some of my colleagues, and others, too, and more than one of them said, “I can’t afford to leave him off. I need the King.” What has that gotten you? And where are your journalistic sensibilities? This is the biggest thing I worry about with our business. I know people say ESPN is an entertainment company, and I guess it is, but I’m not an entertainment writer. I’m a journalist."

How do you preserve your objectivity?

It bothers me that people don’t seem to care. We have people at ESPN saying “my team,” or “we won.” I’m like, “What are you doing? No.”

F*** ESPN.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#14 » by ViperGTS » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Roddy wrote:
3D Chess wrote:Read this exceptional interview.

"I talked to a lot of writers who voted for All-N.B.A., and was like, “Did you leave him on or off?” There’s no right or wrong answer. I’m not suggesting he’s not one of the greatest basketball players—of course he is. But that’s not what this award is. It’s for the top fifteen players that season. And for a guy who said, “I’m not even going to play defense until the playoffs,” I’m just not going to vote for that guy. I was talking to some of my colleagues, and others, too, and more than one of them said, “I can’t afford to leave him off. I need the King.” What has that gotten you? And where are your journalistic sensibilities? This is the biggest thing I worry about with our business. I know people say ESPN is an entertainment company, and I guess it is, but I’m not an entertainment writer. I’m a journalist."

It bothers me that people don’t seem to care. We have people at ESPN saying “my team,” or “we won.” I’m like, “What are you doing? No.”

F*** ESPN.

Incredible read. Unlike some on TV or in print she seems to really care about the story. She is always measured in her comments and is the best writer in Boston now and for a long time. I always wondered why ESPN never picked her up.

Have my answer now.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#15 » by Froob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Roddy wrote:

F*** ESPN.

Incredible read. Unlike some on TV or in print she seems to really care about the story. She is always measured in her comments and is the best writer in Boston now and for a long time. I always wondered why ESPN never picked her up.

Have my answer now.

Not when it came to deflategate..

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#16 » by Froob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Hm nobody else reporting this yet

Read on Twitter

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#17 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Hopefully Theis doesnt go back to Germany but I can see him getting outta here after these past 2 yrs...
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#18 » by ViperGTS » Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Froob wrote:Hm nobody else reporting this yet

Read on Twitter

Hope that doesn't happen. The year 1 post ACL is always challenging. He can bring good stuff to the Celtics never mind other NBA teams.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Froob wrote:Hm nobody else reporting this yet

Read on Twitter

Hope that doesn't happen. The year 1 post ACL is always challenging. He can bring good stuff to the Celtics never mind other NBA teams.

I haven't seen anything else about Theis leaving back to Germany.
He does live there. Could be an offseason thing?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,269

Post#20 » by chrisab123 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 pm

LobCityRondo2KG wrote:Hopefully Theis doesnt go back to Germany but I can see him getting outta here after these past 2 yrs...

True. This thing became a dumpster fire for sure

Return to Boston Celtics