ImageImageImage

Brett Brown : Not Today!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,070

Re: Brett Brown : Not Today! 

Post#241 » by Embiid P » Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 am

As someone who wanted BB gone throughout much of the season, I'm not mad at the decision to bring him back for one more season especially when you consider the dearth of attractive options available. Now if they fail to get out of the second round again next year, then he better be gone.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#242 » by 76ciology » Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 am

I like re-signing Brett. But why didn’t he opt to advance the ball in the last 1-2 mins of game 7? You can see it here at the 5:30 mark
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#243 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue May 14, 2019 5:11 am

76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:So.. the guy who is responsible for the slow development of ben simmons’ shooting is back. :lol:

BB survived because coming into the playoffs he finally realize that Ben is only a glue guy in halfcourt game and you need to put the ball in Jimmys hands. We will see if he could stands correct next season.

BB brought out the best or did try to bring out the best in everyone during the playoffs. From boban, monroe and to everyone of our starters. He put them on good position.

All you can do as a coach is put the team in good position to win.

Yeah, those last three possessions were brilliant weren't they? :nod:
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#244 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 am

As for the decision. Well Harris and co will have to deal with the consequences should Brett FAIL to get the job done again next year. Is it a coincidence that the two teams in the east finals have new coaches? Brett might have a less talented team to work with next season as well if Jimmy or Tobias don't come back and then what? No doubt the Brown fans will use that as excuse this time next year when the same cycle repeats itself.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#245 » by phifans » Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 am

76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:So.. the guy who is responsible for the slow development of ben simmons’ shooting is back. :lol:

BB survived because coming into the playoffs he finally realize that Ben is only a glue guy in halfcourt game and you need to put the ball in Jimmys hands. We will see if he could stands correct next season.

BB brought out the best or did try to bring out the best in everyone during the playoffs. From boban, monroe and to everyone of our starters. He put them on good position.

He still has a lot of work to do. The priority is telling FO to get a new PG who can shoot the ball and play PnR with Biid and stop playing Biid outside the perimeter
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,646

Post#246 » by LordCovington33 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 am

76ciology wrote:

I like re-signing Brett. But why didn’t he opt to advance the ball in the last 1-2 mins of game 7? You can see it here at the 5:30 mark

my gut hurts when I see that play with 1:30 left ... so disorganised
76ciology
RealGM

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 am

phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:

He still has a lot of work to do. The priority is telling FO to get a new PG who can shoot the ball and play PnR with Biid and stop playing Biid outside the perimeter

I dont know why there’s a need to getting a PG. i thought one of our biggest advantage in the playoffs was the PG play of Butler and Ben. It allowed us to be the big guys on the court at all times. It also helped us alot on our switching defense.

Regarding Biid playing at the perimeter, it’s just him being smart to know that refs dont blow the whistle on his antics in the paint during the playoffs. And there are just some defenders who Biid can’t push around like Baynes and Gasol. Watch his performance in G3 and see how well he and our team played.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#248 » by 76ciology » Tue May 14, 2019 6:37 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:

True. But BB did well other than those. I was wondering why he did not opt for a halfcourt inbound. Maybe he’s thinking its the only way to max out Ben on the court on offense (more space to operate in theory)
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#249 » by kingofthecourt67 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am

76ciology wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:

True. But BB did well other than those. I was wondering why he did not opt for a halfcourt inbound. Maybe he’s thinking its the only way to max out Ben on the court on offense (more space to operate in theory)

Think its tougher to make that call with the rule changes decreasing to 2 TOs in the last 2 minutes.I would think that you have to conserve those TOs to be able to advance the ball in the last seconds of the game. That's why you spend a year letting guys play through tough stretches--so they can work through situations where you'd rather save a TO for later.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#250 » by 76ciology » Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 am

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Think its tougher to make that call with the rule changes decreasing to 2 TOs in the last 2 minutes.I would think that you have to conserve those TOs to be able to advance the ball in the last seconds of the game. That's why you spend a year letting guys play through tough stretches--so they can work through situations where you'd rather save a TO for later.

marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#251 » by marcush » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 am

Blaming the coach is such a cop out. It’s a common trap for homers who cannot accept the limitations on the players.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#252 » by Kolkmania » Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 am

LordCovington33 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

my gut hurts when I see that play with 1:30 left ... so disorganised

That's how a narrative gets formed by ignorance. There was no timeout, the game was delayed because they reviewed Kawhi's shot IIRC, so it wasn't possible to advance the ball.

Also, at times you have to credit the opponent's defense. We ran a lot of DHO's in those final minutes, I personally don't love it because with the higher limit of allowed physicality it is easier to break it down.
However if Brett called a post play for Embiid and he turned it over, I bet the same people would call him stupid as well.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#253 » by Simmons25 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:

That's all well and good... but those last 3 possessions were because Jimmy and Joel had seemingly no feel for when the shot clock was about to expire. You can't blame that on Brett Brown.

I mean seriously tell me what play Brett Brown should have called that didn't involve trying to get Jimmy Butler the ball to score. It sure as hell shouldn't have been to get the ball to Ben or Joel to score as they were either too passive or kept turning the ball over.

A blind person would know Jimmy should be getting that shot. Any other play BB would have drawn up he would have been crucified for. It's on the players for not executing. The coach can't do that for them.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,254

Re: Brett Brown : End of Days? 

Post#254 » by WestGOAT » Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Joel's come out and defended Brown which is no surprise considering he's allowed to do as he pleases under Brett's watch.

This. Simmons and Embiid have been babied too much, and while it is not entirely Brett Brown's fault, he is the one most responsible.

Will Embiid go (injured) to the All-Star game again next year and aggravate whatever injury he is suffering from? Will he still be out of shape the entire season due to whatever reasons?

Will he and Simmons still be basically unplayable during crunch time due to Simmons being so stagnant on offense in half-court? It's so obvious Sixers can't run many plays due to Simmons killing the spacing with Embiid on the floor.

spotted in Bologna
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,254

Post#255 » by WestGOAT » Tue May 14, 2019 8:31 am

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
76ciology wrote:

That's all well and good... but those last 3 possessions were because Jimmy and Joel had seemingly no feel for when the shot clock was about to expire. You can't blame that on Brett Brown.

I mean seriously tell me what play Brett Brown should have called that didn't involve trying to get Jimmy Butler the ball to score. It sure as hell shouldn't have been to get the ball to Ben or Joel to score as they were either too passive or kept turning the ball over.

A blind person would know Jimmy should be getting that shot. Any other play BB would have drawn up he would have been crucified for. It's on the players for not executing. The coach can't do that for them.

They would have more time on the shot clock if the inbounded the ball from mid-court after the time-outs. Why didn't BB let them do that? Also as usual Simmons is killing all the spacing on the floor:

spotted in Bologna
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#256 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 am

Yep, the worst situation happened, we lost but only by a buzzer beater tough shot. We got the worst of both worlds, we are eliminated and all for nothing, because Brett is still here. The only hope would be if Redick doesn't resign, but even that is unlikely.
Get ready for another season where our best player is still camping outside the 3pt line.
Horrible takes since 2016
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#257 » by hookshot199 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 am

Sixerscan wrote:Updated thread title for all the haters.

Stop being a jerk. People are entitled to their opinions without you sniping. You are a mod, by the way.

So clearly his players want him back - and had his back - including even Jimmy apparently. And if Jimmy's going to be our "coach" on the floor, I can live with that.

As a fan who doesn't think Brown is a good coach (it doesn't make me a "hater" any more than you a "lover" if I want to be pejorative), you made very good arguments for keeping him - the biggest being fairness (he only had his new personnel for around 25 games and Embiid missed half of those).

And secondly, I have my doubts about whether there was anyone in the wings. I'm against retreads - Thibodeau, Lue and Van Gundy - as much as most of us. And this isn't the time to bring in a newbie.

Although I was intrigued by the number of references to Jay Wright in some of the media reports, including one by The Associated Press, I suspect neither Brand nor Harris had any sort of commitment from Wright if they even broached the subject.

So in the end, I think Harris and Brand made the right decision. But before buying into it completely, I hope to see less JJ, less Embiid out at the top of the key, less Embiid shooting 3's, and more Ben learning to shoot a short jump shot. And of course: Brown practicing "load management" for Embiid and not just talking about it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,039

Post#258 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Updated thread title for all the haters.

Stop being a jerk. People are entitled to their opinions without you sniping. You are a mod, by the way.

So clearly his players want him back - and had his back - including even Jimmy apparently. And if Jimmy's going to be our "coach" on the floor, I can live with that.

As a fan who doesn't think Brown is a good coach (it doesn't make me a "hater" any more than you a "lover" if I want to be pejorative), you made very good arguments for keeping him - the biggest being fairness (he only had his new personnel for around 25 games and Embiid missed half of those).

And secondly, I have my doubts about whether there was anyone in the wings. I'm against retreads - Thibodeau, Lue and Van Gundy - as much as most of us. And this isn't the time to bring in a newbie.

Although I was intrigued by the number of references to Jay Wright in some of the media reports, including one by The Associated Press, I suspect neither Brand nor Harris had any sort of commitment from Wright if they even broached the subject.

So in the end, I think Harris and Brand made the right decision. But before buying into it completely, I hope to see less JJ, less Embiid out at the top of the key, less Embiid shooting 3's, and more Ben learning to shoot a short jump shot. And of course: Brown practicing "load management" for Embiid and not just talking about it.

I think you took an innocuous comment not directed at you a little too personally here. It’s not that serious.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#259 » by Simmons25 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:52 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

They would have more time on the shot clock if the inbounded the ball from mid-court after the time-outs. Why didn't BB let them do that? Also as usual Simmons is killing all the spacing on the floor:

It's all just micro-analyzing anyway. You know what that video also showed me? That in the last 2 1/2 minutes of the game Toronto's offense was also horrid. Kawhi jacking up fall away 3's with 10 seconds left in the shot clock and missing. Turnaround 3's that don't look even close to going in. Even his last shot he pulled out of his butt.

If the 76ers win this video wouldn't exist and it would be all about how bad Nick Nurse was.

As for Simmons well yeah Coach Nick has been hating on the Sixers, Simmons and Embiid for the last 6 months so this is no surprise. You can literally isolate plays from any game that makes someone look bad if you wanted to. Coach Nick has been pushing narratives for the last 6 months... only have to check the comments out from his previous videos about the 76ers.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#260 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Continuity is good, but the combination of our personnel and coaching makes it impossible to execute in crunchtime possessions in games that matter.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers