Joakim Noah : Set-Off Question

FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Joakim Noah : Set-Off Question 

Post#1 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 am

A question on how Jo Noah's set-off applied to NY's cap moving forward.

Jo was waived and stretched last off season, with the cap hit as follows:

18/19 - $18,530,000
19/20 -$ 6,431,667
20/21 -$ 6,431,667
21/22 -$ 6,431,667

MEM signed Jo in December 18 and he played out the year. So there will be some set-off applicable to NY's cap.

My question is how is it applied? Does the set-off amount only get applied against Noah's 18/19 cap hit to NY, given his contract for MEM was in the same season?

Or is the set-off amount deducted from the total stretched salary, and apportioned over the 4 years in some way?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Joakim Noah : Set-Off Question 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Thu May 16, 2019 5:07 am

Since he made minimum salary for a partial season, set-off is a piddling amount (should be less than 100K), and therefore virtually meaningless regardless.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#3 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu May 16, 2019 12:40 pm

DBoys wrote:Since he made minimum salary for a partial season, set-off is a piddling amount (should be less than 100K), and therefore virtually meaningless regardless.

Yeah it is piddling, but my calcs (which could be wrong :lol: ), using a $109 million cap, and trading Lance Thomas away with cash, the knicks are are only $129,701 away from being able to keep Trier's money on the books while being in position to sign KD & Kyrie to max deals. And obviously we would like to keep him around or use him in a larger trade down the line (will help with salary matching).

GIven that Jo was on a pro-rated contract, wouldn't the 1 year vet min cap number used in the calculation also be pro-rated? Or is this not the case? If it is, the set-off amount could be closer to $378k.
DBoys
Starter

Post#4 » by DBoys » Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm

1 Not sure why NY would pay to get rid of Thomas. Just waive him at no cost.
2 I think they planned very well on the numbers and have it covered anyhow. Assuming they won't make a QO to Mudiay or Kornet, they can keep Ntilikina, Smith, Robinson, Knox, Trier, and pick and have max room for KD and Kyrie.
3 And on a different level, it seems like a mountain out of a molehill. I can't imagine that being a few dollars short of max money is a deal-killer, if a player wants to be there. This is not an auction where a bid of a few more dollars wins. The difference-making issue will be selling stars on the idea that Dolan is sane, and that the scene isn't toxic or futile.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#5 » by FutureKnicksGM » Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 pm

DBoys wrote:1 Not sure why NY would pay to get rid of Thomas. Just waive him at no cost. Had a look again and you're right - thanks.

2 I think they planned very well on the numbers and have it covered anyhow. Assuming they won't make a QO to Mudiay or Kornet, they can keep Ntilikina, Smith, Robinson, Knox, Trier, and pick and have max room for KD and Kyrie.

NY will keep Damyean Dotson ($1,618,520) as he fits the 3&D model best, and is our probable starter at SG. That pushes us over 109.

3 And on a different level, it seems like a mountain out of a molehill. I can't imagine that being a few dollars short of max money is a deal-killer, if a player wants to be there. This is not an auction where a bid of a few more dollars wins. The difference-making issue will be selling stars on the idea that Dolan is sane, and that the scene isn't toxic or futile. While i would hope that would be the case, see BOS before they signed Gordon.
DBoys
Starter

Post#6 » by DBoys » Sat May 18, 2019 4:01 am

FutureKnicksGM wrote:2 I think they planned very well on the numbers and have it covered anyhow. Assuming they won't make a QO to Mudiay or Kornet, they can keep Ntilikina, Smith, Robinson, Knox, Trier, and pick and have max room for KD and Kyrie.

NY will keep Damyean Dotson ($1,618,520) as he fits the 3&D model best, and is our probable starter at SG. That pushes us over 109.

Obviously you can't go over 109, in signing outside free agents using cap room.

And I doubt there's any way NY would want to keep Dotson, instead of clearing max-salary room for KD and Kyrie.

If the Knicks are going for 3 stars (sign KD, sign Kyrie, trade for AD), who NY wants will be defined by "who does NO want in trade," because they pretty much have to trade everyone they keep, to match AD. Is it technically possible for NY to keep a small salary player on the side, such as Dotson, if NO requests just the right players? Yep. But I suspect that if Dotson is better, then NO will select him rather than someone else.

Return to CBA & Business