DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 am

This is a mix of outnumbered Summer FA / Fantasy trade thread, so if it gets redundant I will just lock it.

So, July 1st, Toby and JB take Max offers from LA/Brooklyn and are gone. Leonard goes to LA at midnight, Kyrie and Durant to NY at midnight.

Your EB, assuming you don’t immediately resign/be fired... what do you do?
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,586

Re: DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do 

Post#2 » by FireMorey » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 am

That won’t happen, but in that scenario, you tank.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#3 » by nitocobola » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 am

1-Fire EB
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 am

Find some other 2nd tier FAs.

If not..

Stay patient. Accumulate asset while competing then strike at next disgruntled player. Similar to what OKC did.

You cant keep firing people. People nowadays are spoiled as sh*t. Sooner no good players, coaches, GMs would want to work for u.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#5 » by SixthStreet » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 am

Offer Kemba the max, see what shakes out in free agency, good teams will need to dump good players for luxury tax, work the fringes.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#6 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 am

You keep moving forward....We have our cornerstone players. Keep building through the draft, sign a few stop gap players. If Butler and Harris leave that's not going to mean the sky is falling. I personally think we'll see a big jump in overall game from Ben and Embiid. Add some depth around them, an athlete, a shooter, Patrick Beverley. Or....Offer Kemba Walker the max!
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,586

Post#7 » by FireMorey » Fri May 17, 2019 3:10 am

I wonder how Kemba and Ben would fit together.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#8 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri May 17, 2019 3:55 am

I try to get Kemba. If i cant, I probably cry and stop following basketball closely from now on.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#9 » by FlyingArrow » Fri May 17, 2019 4:05 am

I think OP just left out that Kemba also signs a max somewhere else. Indiana, Charlotte, NY/Bkn, either LA. Doesn't matter. The idea is all the max players are gone.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager

Post#10 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 am

FlyingArrow wrote:I think OP just left out that Kemba also signs a max somewhere else. Indiana, Charlotte, NY/Bkn, either LA. Doesn't matter. The idea is all the max players are gone.

Then we are probably a perennial 3/4 seed. Thunder of the East.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#11 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 am

FlyingArrow wrote:I think OP just left out that Kemba also signs a max somewhere else. Indiana, Charlotte, NY/Bkn, either LA. Doesn't matter. The idea is all the max players are gone.

... if I name a player I want to sign are you just going to say he's gone too?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#12 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 am

Kemba
Horford
Brogdon
Middleton

Trade for someone like Conley or Aaron Gordon

Plenty of other options.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#13 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri May 17, 2019 8:30 am

Mirotic and KCP would be two guys I go for in free agency and then try to trade for Taurean Prince. All three are capable of 15 ppg and good three point shooters as well. Harrison Barnes is also on the market too which is interesting.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager

Post#14 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri May 17, 2019 8:33 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Mirotic and KCP would be two guys I go for in free agency and then try to trade for Taurean Prince. All three are capable of 15 ppg and good three point shooters as well. Harrison Barnes is also on the market too which is interesting.

yuck.............
10/27/16
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#15 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Mirotic and KCP would be two guys I go for in free agency and then try to trade for Taurean Prince. All three are capable of 15 ppg and good three point shooters as well. Harrison Barnes is also on the market too which is interesting.

yuck.............

Says someone who thinks getting Kemba is the solution when he likes the ball In his hands as much as Ben does and is also a liability on defense? "Yuck" indeed.
M3
Junior
And1: 20

Post#16 » by M3 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am

Don’t rush in that scenario.
Ben and Joel are good enough to make the playoffs in the East.

Sign one year guys that fall through the cracks and bench guys that you think can help you in the future.
Save some money for the trade deadline and accumulate what assets you can to help you trade for star players or elite bench players next year.

It would be a hard sell to the general public after quote unquote going for it this past season, but better than rushing it and having a bad fit like Kemba or over paying KCP.
Don’t throw away the process with those bad signings. I know Joel can’t play forever but wasting one year for a more optimal star signing or better team building of the bench would be worth it.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#17 » by VDT » Fri May 17, 2019 11:33 am

I don't think it's such a disaster scenario.

In the end our title aspirations hinge mostly on Embiid and Simmons being the real thing. If they are we should be able to find good roleplayers to surround them with (if the FO is competent). If they are not Butler and Harris are not going to get us there.

In the end I don't think that Butler and Harris on max contracts over the next 4-5 years are so valuable that if we lose them it will be a disaster, provided again that we have a competent FO who can identify and sign underrated and undervalued (role)players or go a and get another free agent star.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#18 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 11:54 am

Tough scenario but really interesting topic for discussion.

I guess I'd start by targeting Brogdon and Middleton, which has the side benefit of weakening your biggest competition going forward.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#19 » by 76ciology » Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 pm

4D Chess..
Use cap space for Middleton and BroLo or Marc Gasol.

You get a third star who can fit with Ben and Biid. And your much needed back-up center. All that while weakening both your top rivals in the conference.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#20 » by BullyKing » Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 pm

I also think this might be a situation that requires to consider trading Ben and rebuilding entirely around players that fit with Joel - although hopefully the long-term prognosis on his health factors in there.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers