ImageImageImage

Updates on former Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#921 » by SmokeyPaw » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:40 am

Patton got 10 minutes tonight against Houston. 4 points, 1 rebounds, 3 pfs.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#922 » by Basti » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Anyone else seen the most recent thread on the General Board about Darko Milicic giving an in-depth interview about his NBA years?

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1819393

He talked a bit about his stint with the Wolves, too.

One poster gave a helluva breakdown of the interview which was in Serbian but that poster translated it, which is highly appreciated!

HEKTOR wrote:Interview Breakdown:[..]
Minnesota
- Was in NY with the Knicks for a short time and then was told Minny wanted to trade for him.
- Had 2 meetings with Minny where he tried to convince them not to trade for them, said he would destroy the team atmosphere, was no good, etc.
- Wanted to go back to Europe and play in the Euroleague at the time.
- Minny insisted that he come there and traded for him anyways.
- Told him he could stay for 2 weeks, there will be 6-7 games and if he doesn't like it, they'll release him.
- Started the 1st game, started to enjoy playing bball again.
- Enjoyed playing against big centres like Gasol but had no motivation against the weaker teams with less known bigs.

Pekovic
- Joined Darko in his 2nd year with Minny.
- Came to Darko saying he was requesting a trade after not getting much playing time.
- Darko told him to wait it out, didn't want him to leave as they were friends.
- Darko got injured but exaggerated it so Pekovic could play. Believed Pek deserved a chance much more than he did anyways.
- When given chances to play, Pek did really well - had a game where he put up 30pts.
- As a result, Darko was out of the rotation completely, something he didn't expect - thought he'd just get moved to the bench.

[...]

Kevin Love
- Was open with all the players in the locker-room while at Minny and what he thought about them.
- Was later asked to apologize but refused.
- Said Love was pampered but was just a stat-padder, didn't care about the team, just wanted to get his numbers.
- Darko was more concerned about the team, didn't believe you could win with guys like Love as the #1 guy.
- Recognizes that Love was a better player, accomplished much more but still feels the same.

[...]

I can't help but think that Darko is his own biggest enemy. He seems like he has good intentions to begin with but gets in his own ways somehow.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#923 » by HEKTOR » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:23 am

Yeah, my take on Darko is that he's simply not too bright. I don't think it takes much intelligence to realize that you made such stupid mistakes like the ones he did - but he didn't seem capable of adjusting even though he had chances to do so.
He talks about how he wanted to be a focal point in the offense in that things could run through him - not so much as a scorer but as a play-maker, etc. but he never worked on his game in a way to develop so that teams would even begin to consider such things.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#924 » by Basti » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 pm

HEKTOR wrote:Yeah, my take on Darko is that he's simply not too bright. I don't think it takes much intelligence to realize that you made such stupid mistakes like the ones he did - but he didn't seem capable of adjusting even though he had chances to do so.
He talks about how he wanted to be a focal point in the offense in that things could run through him - not so much as a scorer but as a play-maker, etc. but he never worked on his game in a way to develop so that teams would even begin to consider such things.

The most frustrating thing with regards to basically any aspect of offence and defence, save for maybe reliable three point shooting, he seems to have been able to do it with ease - if he just could have been bothered. In certain games (namely against the Gasol bros, Blake Griffin) you could almost count on him to make it look effortlessly, both scoring, passing, rebounding and defending. He was so dominant in those games. Then the next game he couldn't be damned to do a damn thing. The talent was absolutely there. Not sure how much physical work, as in exercise and repetition, is needed to get better with for example passing and rebounding, but he certainly needed mental training.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#925 » by PharmD » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 am

Yeah, Darko could have been really good on both offense and defense. He was also always really out of shape. Maybe it was the chain smoking.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#926 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Not really a former Wolves player, but posters seem to think he would have been. Has anyone seen that Markkanen is out with heart issues?
Could have been a wasted pick. And it still is.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#927 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 am

That would be horrible if he has heart issues that stop his career early. If it happens, at least he made it to the NBA and can always have that memory now. Has to be making something decent on the rookie season. Hopefully it was something else.

I noticed LaVine was listed with right knee tendinitis for his reason being out. I hope they are just giving a reason.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#928 » by gandlogo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:54 am

Crawford with 51 tonight. :o :o :o
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#929 » by minimus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:53 am

gandlogo wrote:Crawford with 51 tonight. :o :o :o

At least one of Wolves players(even ex) has finished season on high note
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#930 » by Jedzz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:50 am

Rubio played really well in playoffs. Over 15 pts in last two games. 18 and 17. 17 today to go with 11 assists. Only 1 of 5 from three of course. But young Mitchell has been the week link. Mitchell was 4 of 22, 0 of 8 from three. It's too bad as I really enjoy watching that team play. Really enjoy when Rubio/Crowder/Gobert are playing their way well. Mitchell needed to hold fast and it just wasn't there. Amazing as they even had a nice game from Royce. Just not enough 3s from that team to keep up. Rockets also put this away with 12 blocks if you can believe it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#931 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 am

Jedzz wrote:Rubio played really well in playoffs. Over 15 pts in last two games. 18 and 17. 17 today to go with 11 assists. Only 1 of 5 from three of course. But young Mitchell has been the week link. Mitchell was 4 of 22, 0 of 8 from three. It's too bad as I really enjoy watching that team play. Really enjoy when Rubio/Crowder/Gobert are playing their way well. Mitchell needed to hold fast and it just wasn't there. Amazing as they even had a nice game from Royce. Just not enough 3s from that team to keep up. Rockets also put this away with 12 blocks if you can believe it.

Wasn't Mitchell not great last postseason too?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#932 » by PharmD » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Rubio played really well in playoffs. Over 15 pts in last two games. 18 and 17. 17 today to go with 11 assists. Only 1 of 5 from three of course. But young Mitchell has been the week link. Mitchell was 4 of 22, 0 of 8 from three. It's too bad as I really enjoy watching that team play. Really enjoy when Rubio/Crowder/Gobert are playing their way well. Mitchell needed to hold fast and it just wasn't there. Amazing as they even had a nice game from Royce. Just not enough 3s from that team to keep up. Rockets also put this away with 12 blocks if you can believe it.

Wasn't Mitchell not great last postseason too?

He was very good against OKC. He was bad in round 2 vs Houston but just ordinary bad. This series Mitchell was historically bad. His .424 TS is the 2nd lowest in playoff history for a player with a 30 usage (Tim Hardaway in 1999 if i'm doing my bbreffing right)
minimus
RealGM

Post#933 » by minimus » Fri May 17, 2019 12:08 pm

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#934 » by shangrila » Fri May 17, 2019 12:18 pm

minimus wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't consider Butler a former Wolf. He can get ****.
minimus
RealGM

Post#935 » by minimus » Fri May 17, 2019 12:20 pm

shangrila wrote:I'll be honest, I don't consider Butler a former Wolf. He can get ****.

Yeah, but it migth be a PHI farewell post.

P.S. Can Wiggins bulk up like Jimmy?
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#936 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Yep. My most hated player. He can go eat a bag of d***$
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't consider Butler a former Wolf. He can get ****.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#937 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm

What's with the Jimmy hate? All he did was expose what we already know about our foundation.

Just 4 more years left of AW.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#938 » by Worm Guts » Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:What's with the Jimmy hate? All he did was expose what we already know about our foundation.

Fans generally don't like it when you force a trade off their team.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#939 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:What's with the Jimmy hate? All he did was expose what we already know about our foundation.

If jimmy making a national embarrassment out of Andrew for not having any desire, heart or drive isnt enough to light a candle under his ass...nothing will.

It's not jimmys fault AW chooses to suck? Who would want to play with him?

He showed the talent differential when philly kicked our asses twice this season
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#940 » by Worm Guts » Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

If jimmy making a national embarrassment out of Andrew for not having any desire, heart or drive isnt enough to light a candle under his ass...nothing will.

It's not jimmys fault AW chooses to suck? Who would want to play with him?

He showed the talent differential when philly kicked our asses twice this season

None of that means I have to be ok with him forcing a trade. If Jimmy didn't like it here, he was a free agent at the end of the season, he didn't have behave the way he did.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves