DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

MR28
Starter
And1: 1,553

Re: DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do 

Post#41 » by MR28 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
MR28 wrote:That’s the exact opposite of a no brainer; It’s closer to a no brainer in the other direction.

I don't see how.

Strip away all the baggage and just look at the skillsets and ask yourself what player makes sense on a max contract and what player would you rather have in the playoffs. I think the answer to both of those questions is the aggressive, multi-level scorer that can play on and off the ball and space the floor.

Sure, It just depends on how you view Sexton and this draft. Personally, I don’t think very highly of either; especially at the expense of losing Ben.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#42 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
youngcrev wrote:If it's for a draft pick/player with a more years on his rookie deal, you're left with a big question mark from a talent perspective

Are you really, though?

I don't think it's unfair to classify Simmons as a mere ultra-accomplished glue guy. So I don't think it makes sense to look at him as a guy on a clear path to stardom and worry about having egg on our faces if we move him.

If Cleveland would do Collin Sexton and #5, I think it's a no-brainer.

And I think "Yikes" to that scenario. No brainier? That gives you what, an extra 12M or so to work with and some gigantic question marks (and a likely pissed off Embiid)
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#43 » by youngcrev » Fri May 17, 2019 2:28 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Yes, its a high quality team to build a core around - the issue is that we are very low on avenues to actually build with at that point. And I only mentioned looking into trading Simmons, I never said to give him away. If the only offers for him are terrible then, yes, you keep him and do the best you can.

Sure, but look at where trading him leaves you.

If it's for an established player, said player likely is eating up even more of that cap.

If it's for a draft pick/player with a more years on his rookie deal, you're left with a big question mark from a talent perspective while betting big on free agency once again (something that you've continually failed with up until this point). Plus... Good luck selling that to Embiid.

Don't really disagree with any of that. But it's the disaster scenario thread - every path is going to have some problems and risk.

That's the thing... Building with that is a worst case scenario, and would represent a disaster of an off-season, but I absolutely don't see that as a disaster situation to build with going forward. You're still in a better situation than 90% of the league with a youngish top-10 player, a young all star that still has upside to become more, and a clean cap.

It's a disaster compared to what could of been with all the squandered assets since drafting Ben, but it's still an enviable position to build.
Processing76
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#44 » by Processing76 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:18 pm

There's no good solution to this. Like someone said, I think we'd be perennial 3-6 seed never making it.

Sad.. :(
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#45 » by VDT » Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm

People need to get out of the mindset that the Sixers will sleepwalk to a title based on the assets Hinkie left. The FO will need to do good trades, sign underrated players to good contracts, attract free agents etc, all the things every competent FO is expected to do.

If you accept this, even if we are left with just Embiid and Simmons it's not that catastrophic, provided that we have a competent FO. In fact it is a better and more enviable situation than most others in the league.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,675

Post#46 » by the_process » Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm

In this scenario, I would take the radical approach and build an uptempo team with shooters around Ben Simmons.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#47 » by jbent87 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:05 pm

the_process wrote:In this scenario, I would take the radical approach and build an uptempo team with shooters around Ben Simmons.

meaning what exactly afa Joel Embiid? Who's trading for him at what his actual value is assuming he is healthy? And since nobody will give you that, are you really signing off on Buddy Hield, Harry Giles and a future lightly protected 1? Those are going to be the type of offers coming in for Embiid if EB says he's available. Bc nobody knows how reliable he truly is going fwd.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#48 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm

The most important thing is a search that includes no more than 1 candidate.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#49 » by kuclas » Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Sixers just do not appear to be a free agent destination.

Even with (close to max space). We couldn’t sign anyone last year.

If jimmy and Harris leave. We could have close to two max caps

I don’t think management wants to commit max space to tier 2 free agents.

Heck. They didn’t want to give 2 years guarantee to tier 3.5 free agents like Bellini and ersan. And that stretch 4 guys from timberwolves signed one year deal and backed out. Claimed to go back to Europe. And Sacramento gave him 2 years and he took it.

I’d like to sign Keemba. Keep jimmy max . Let Harris walk unless he agrees to 4 years

But if jimmy and Harris both walk.

Sky isn’t falling. Embiid and Simmons can still win 50 games. Focus on player development. Smith, shake, bolden. And whoever they draft.

I’d like to keep mike Scott on 2 year deal if possible. He may have some suitors willing to give him 3 years/24 million.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Post#50 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:13 pm

You trade Ben Simmons for another star and build around Embiid.
Horrible takes since 2016
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#51 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:You trade Ben Simmons for another star and build around Embiid.

Are you a Pelicans fan now?
the_process
RealGM

Post#52 » by the_process » Fri May 17, 2019 4:35 pm

jbent87 wrote:
the_process wrote:In this scenario, I would take the radical approach and build an uptempo team with shooters around Ben Simmons.

meaning what exactly afa Joel Embiid? Who's trading for him at what his actual value is assuming he is healthy? And since nobody will give you that, are you really signing off on Buddy Hield, Harry Giles and a future lightly protected 1? Those are going to be the type of offers coming in for Embiid if EB says he's available. Bc nobody knows how reliable he truly is going fwd.

I don't think there is any question that a deal could be worked with New Orleans.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#53 » by hookshot199 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:46 pm

the_process wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

I don't think there is any question that a deal could be worked with New Orleans.

For whom? Unless it's some sort of sign-and-trade, you can't trade for somebody who's likely to walk
in two years.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#54 » by eagereyez » Fri May 17, 2019 5:00 pm

76ciology wrote:
BullyKing wrote:I also think this might be a situation that requires to consider trading Ben and rebuilding entirely around players that fit with Joel - although hopefully the long-term prognosis on his health factors in there.

Yes. Fit can compensate for talent. Look at the Raps or Bucks. They’re not more talented than us, but their parts are great fit for one another.

Ben and Jojo aren’t good fit. That’s why we need multiple star caliber players to make it work.

Agreed. Westbrook and Durant were a much better fit than Embiid and Simmons, yet those two couldn't get it done. I don't think Simmons and Embiid will ever make the finals until Simmons adds a respectable jumper. He has had three years of NBA coaches and trainers and still refuses to even attempt a 3. The writing is on the wall with him. I hope the Sixers are shopping him around for a similar level of talent who fits better with Embiid.
the_process
RealGM

Post#55 » by the_process » Fri May 17, 2019 5:15 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
the_process wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

For whom? Unless it's some sort of sign-and-trade, you can't trade for somebody who's likely to walk
in two years.

Why are we assuming whoever you deal for will walk? Why so doom and gloom all of a sudden? :lol: I realize this is supposed to be a worst case scenario thread... but I don't feel like this would be the darkest timeline. Not even close, honestly.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#56 » by freshie2 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Processing76 wrote:There's no good solution to this. Like someone said, I think we'd be perennial 3-6 seed never making it.

Simmons developing a mid range to 3pt game is critical. They catapult to the top of the east if he is a better shooter and they cam resign JB and Tobias. You cant be a serious contender when your PG is that limited offensively. I hope working with his brother is a serious look and rebuild of his shot and form.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#57 » by hookshot199 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 pm

the_process wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
the_process wrote:

in two years.

Why are we assuming whoever you deal for will walk? Why so doom and gloom all of a sudden? :lol: I realize this is supposed to be a worst case scenario thread... but I don't feel like this would be the darkest timeline. Not even close, honestly.

I assume you're talking about Antony Davis. Of course he'll walk. There's no "fit" in Philly, no bench,
no starting three, four or five if we trade Ben, and (without reigniting the Brett Brown debate) no
coach.

But if you're talking about a trade for a prospect, that's a different matter.

The worst-case scenario by not upping Ben...NOW...is that we get to match when he becomes
a restricted free agent. He's ours for another five years.

And please don't do this :lol:. It's rude.
the_process
RealGM

Post#58 » by the_process » Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
the_process wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
in two years.

I assume you're talking about Antony Davis. Of course he'll walk. There's no "fit" in Philly, no bench,
no starting three, four or five if we trade Ben, and (without reigniting the Brett Brown debate) no
coach.

But if you're talking about a trade for a prospect, that's a different matter.

The worst-case scenario by not upping Ben...NOW...is that we get to match when he becomes
a restricted free agent. He's ours for another five years.

And please don't do this :lol:. It's rude.

No, it's not.

As far as the rest goes, if you're keeping Ben and getting AD and Jrue... I have no clue why you would assume that they are walking.
the_process
RealGM

Post#59 » by the_process » Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 pm

kuclas wrote:Sixers just do not appear to be a free agent destination.

Even with (close to max space). We couldn’t sign anyone last year.

If jimmy and Harris leave. We could have close to two max caps

I don’t think management wants to commit max space to tier 2 free agents.

Heck. They didn’t want to give 2 years guarantee to tier 3.5 free agents like Bellini and ersan. And that stretch 4 guys from timberwolves signed one year deal and backed out. Claimed to go back to Europe. And Sacramento gave him 2 years and he took it.

I’d like to sign Keemba. Keep jimmy max . Let Harris walk unless he agrees to 4 years

But if jimmy and Harris both walk.

Sky isn’t falling. Embiid and Simmons can still win 50 games. Focus on player development. Smith, shake, bolden. And whoever they draft.

I’d like to keep mike Scott on 2 year deal if possible. He may have some suitors willing to give him 3 years/24 million.

There were no real FA's last year. PG and LeBron were the only guys worth going after and both had already decided where they were going before FA even started. So I wouldn't use last summer as an accurate barometer.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#60 » by eagereyez » Fri May 17, 2019 5:38 pm

freshie2 wrote:
Processing76 wrote:There's no good solution to this. Like someone said, I think we'd be perennial 3-6 seed never making it.

Simmons developing a mid range to 3pt game is critical. They catapult to the top of the east if he is a better shooter and they cam resign JB and Tobias. You cant be a serious contender when your PG is that limited offensively. I hope working with his brother is a serious look and rebuild of his shot and form.

Why do you think Simmons hasn't rebuilt his shot already? He has been in the NBA for 3 years now. He has to know how important it is for the team that he develop an outside shot. So why hasn't it happened? In my opinion, there are only two reasons: either he is unable to do it or he does not care enough about the team's success to do it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers