ImageImageImage

2019-2020 Roster Composition Wishlist (Non-Kyrie/ No-AD Edition)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Re: 2019-2020 Roster Composition Wishlist (Non-AD/KD/Kyrie Edition) 

Post#61 » by Upperclass » Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 am

djFan71 wrote:I like all the OP ideas. I'd love to add Ed Davis in the exception. RoLo, maybe DAJ could fit as well, but DeAndre seems a long shot.

Smart, Jaylen, Tatum, Horford, Baynes
Hayward, Semi, Davis
Williams, picks, vet mins

Crazy talk time. I would explore getting a young stud big man with Tatum and Yabu/Semi salary as needed. Could that get you Marvin Bagley, Wendell Carter, Jaren Jackson, Jonathan Isaac???? (Isaac probably has the least value, but his defensive mobility is crazy in the few games I've seen - could be the closest thing to covering Giannis\KD for a while. Might have to get 2020 pick back too or something)

In that case, you resign Rozier ($10-12M range) to make up for the lost scoring - let him gun in true 6th man fashion, don't try to run the offense. Maybe token start Baynes and bring Al off the bench, too, for facilitation purposes.

Smart, Jaylen, Hayward, <Isaac/Carter/Bagley>, Baynes
Terry, Horford, Davis, Semi (if not traded)
Williams, picks, vet mins

You basically give the offense scoring load to Jaylen, Hayward and Terry and hope for the best, but acquire that stud young big and balance the roster a little. Smart/Hayward/Al handle the playmaking. Everybody can play Celtic D. Need a shooter off the bench via draft or vet min.

DeAndre is staying in NY on a MLE if KD and Kyrie come and im pretty sure thats the plan right now.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#62 » by djFan71 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 am

If we don't want to use all the picks use Yabu & picks to get a good mid-priced vet. Depending on which picks you include you can get anywhere from 6.9$M to 14.5$M back. Can also use Semi. Most players in that range are either rookies or too good or both, but things like this should be attainable:

Yabu & 22 for Belinelli - SAS has Murray (and Walker) coming back, White, Forbes and DeRozan ahead of him.

Then add an MLE. Indy can't bring all their guys back. Take Joseph or Collison or Matthews. Look at Ish Smith. Bigs: Davis, RoLo, Dedmon.

Marcus, Jaylen, Jayson, Al, Baynes
Joseph, Bellineli, Hayward, Davis, Williams
Semi, Picks 14 & 22, vet mins

Rely on Jays & Hayward for scoring, but surrounded by lots of vets that know how to play and shoot.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#63 » by ddb » Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 pm

La Flame wrote:Don't think we have any capspace even if Kyrie leaves but I wouldn't mind Cousins on a short deal

I'm hearing there's a good chance Boogie stays in Golden State for another season
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#64 » by ddb » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm

this is so annoying. people really listen to what they see and hear in the media wayyyyyy too much. Kyrie takes all the blame because he is the star player....that entire roster was unhappy this season, not just Kyrie. Rozier all season was a pain. Brown was an issue 1st half of the season until he snapped out of it. Even Tatum was a diva this season playing with a big ego. Kyrie/Smart/Morris/Horford/Baynes were all frustrated at the younger core. And Gordon Hayward was in an awkward position coming off major surgery. He's a super nice guy and felt like Tatum/Brown/Rozier weren't happy that he was just thrown right back into the starters role. And he was right. That caused some chemistry issues right off the bat. Why do you think Hayward volunteered to come off the bench? But can you blame Hayward? It isn't his fault he was injured. He was an all-star that signed a max deal pre-injury, whereas Tatum/Brown/Rozier are thinking, "we just came a quarter away from the finals without you, bro."....they had the wrong mindset and are to blame for the majority of the Celtics issues.

If you don't think Ainge & the front office have had conversations with Kyrie about how they are going to build around him if he stays, then you are wrong. This leaked out which is ANOTHER reason why there were chemistry issues. A 21 year Tatum having to answer questions about if he'd be okay going to NOLA is NOT a healthy conversation to be having for a team that is trying to contend.

Now it's no guarantee Kyrie stays. Players only get so many cracks at Free Agency. He needs to entertain opportunities and do his due diligence. The Celtics understand this. But the Celtics & Kyrie also know that they can land Anthony Davis in a trade. And Ainge most likely has something else lined up too because he's always steps ahead with this stuff.

I will be the least shocked person in the world if Ainge builds a true contender around Kyrie/AD that will pump excitement back into the organization. Time heals. Lessons learned. And if Kyrie for some reason decides to go elsewhere, the Celtics most certainly have a plan B, C, D and F.

This season the team was presented as contenders mainly because the media coined them as the favorites. but in reality, this season was always a gap year and perhaps we should have realized much earlier that it was going to be a bumpy ride.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#65 » by djFan71 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

ddb wrote:this is so annoying. people really listen to what they see and hear in the media wayyyyyy too much.

I didn't take the OP as buying into all that. Or not buying into it, for that matter. This thread, is more of a what-if scenario. It's fun to try to figure things out for what could be a possible scenario.
jeremym480
Senior
And1: 1,094

Post#66 » by jeremym480 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:13 pm

If Kyire, or AD or Kyrie/AD isn't possible, then I guess my preference would be "running it back" with the current team, plus bringing back former C's Rondo and IT. In free agency or the draft, we need a pure shooter and another BIG bigman. Possibly bring Theis back depending on how much he cost but I'd almost prefer a big who can bang Embiid and take some pressure off of Horford (especially, if Baynes is injured). Something like the following

Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford
Rondo, ?, Semi, Morris, Baynes
IT, 14, 20, ?, Williams

That's not going to be a championship squad but should at least be a fun, competitive team that will maybe make some noise in the playoffs. And if Brown and Tatum get back to their 17/18 self's and progress even more and Hayward gets back to his pre-injury self, and they get hot, then who knows.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#67 » by vct33 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm ready for a youth movement. Get Semi and RWIII some run with three shiny, new first round picks. Let Morris, Baynes & Rozier walk. Gimme Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Williams, Ojeyley and a bunch of youngsters and just go have some fun.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
KG and Truth
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#68 » by KG and Truth » Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Wouldn't mind flipping a few picks/Hayward for a better player like Conley/Holiday. Got a glut of wings anyway and Conley would be a big upgrade over whatever they're throwing out there at PG. Never was much of a Hayward fan even when he was healthy (although I was fine with the Celts maxing him since everyone had $ to blow that offseason)

I'm not sure what other direction you can go in if Kyrie leaves and AD/KD aren't on the table. The clock is ticking obviously, once Brown/Tatum need to get paid then all the flexibility goes out the window. And getting Conley would also probably help the chances Horford wants to re-sign.

If Horford leaves then I dunno what you do really. Going to have to take a giant step back.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#69 » by brackdan70 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 pm

Goga
Sign here
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,019

Post#70 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 am

Trade Tatum, Brown, Yabu, 14th for Davis.

Bring back Morris and Baynes. Sign Avery Bradley. Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Horford, Davis
Draft PG, Avery Bradley, Semi, Morris, Baynes

Would also consider a vet min on Jared Dudley for the vet presence as 15th man and to troll Simmons all year long. :)
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,019

Post#71 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 am

vct33 wrote:I'm ready for a youth movement. Get Semi and RWIII some run with three shiny, new first round picks. Let Morris, Baynes & Rozier walk. Gimme Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Williams, Ojeyley and a bunch of youngsters and just go have some fun.

Nothing more exciting than shiny late first rounders. Miss the days of shiny James Young..

I prefer having fun actually winning games with guys who know how to play basketball.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#72 » by TheMartian » Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 am

ddb wrote:this is so annoying. people really listen to what they see and hear in the media wayyyyyy too much. Kyrie takes all the blame because he is the star player....that entire roster was unhappy this season, not just Kyrie. Rozier all season was a pain. Brown was an issue 1st half of the season until he snapped out of it. Even Tatum was a diva this season playing with a big ego. Kyrie/Smart/Morris/Horford/Baynes were all frustrated at the younger core. And Gordon Hayward was in an awkward position coming off major surgery. He's a super nice guy and felt like Tatum/Brown/Rozier weren't happy that he was just thrown right back into the starters role. And he was right. That caused some chemistry issues right off the bat. Why do you think Hayward volunteered to come off the bench? But can you blame Hayward? It isn't his fault he was injured. He was an all-star that signed a max deal pre-injury, whereas Tatum/Brown/Rozier are thinking, "we just came a quarter away from the finals without you, bro."....they had the wrong mindset and are to blame for the majority of the Celtics issues.

If you don't think Ainge & the front office have had conversations with Kyrie about how they are going to build around him if he stays, then you are wrong. This leaked out which is ANOTHER reason why there were chemistry issues. A 21 year Tatum having to answer questions about if he'd be okay going to NOLA is NOT a healthy conversation to be having for a team that is trying to contend.

Now it's no guarantee Kyrie stays. Players only get so many cracks at Free Agency. He needs to entertain opportunities and do his due diligence. The Celtics understand this. But the Celtics & Kyrie also know that they can land Anthony Davis in a trade. And Ainge most likely has something else lined up too because he's always steps ahead with this stuff.

I will be the least shocked person in the world if Ainge builds a true contender around Kyrie/AD that will pump excitement back into the organization. Time heals. Lessons learned. And if Kyrie for some reason decides to go elsewhere, the Celtics most certainly have a plan B, C, D and F.

This season the team was presented as contenders mainly because the media coined them as the favorites. but in reality, this season was always a gap year and perhaps we should have realized much earlier that it was going to be a bumpy ride.

+1. In Danny I trust
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#73 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Trade Tatum, Brown, Yabu, 14th for Davis.

Bring back Morris and Baynes. Sign Avery Bradley. Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Horford, Davis
Draft PG, Avery Bradley, Semi, Morris, Baynes

Would also consider a vet min on Jared Dudley for the vet presence as 15th man and to troll Simmons all year long. :)

Would need to include 20 and 22 signed to make the money work ...unless Davis waives his trade kicker. Could replace one of those picks with Williams too. But yeah that seems like a likely offer and a very strong offer. I don’t mind bringing back Wanamaker. For garbage time emergency oh duties. He was pretty solid I thought.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#74 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:21 pm

ddb wrote:this is so annoying. people really listen to what they see and hear in the media wayyyyyy too much. Kyrie takes all the blame because he is the star player....that entire roster was unhappy this season, not just Kyrie. Rozier all season was a pain. Brown was an issue 1st half of the season until he snapped out of it. Even Tatum was a diva this season playing with a big ego. Kyrie/Smart/Morris/Horford/Baynes were all frustrated at the younger core. And Gordon Hayward was in an awkward position coming off major surgery. He's a super nice guy and felt like Tatum/Brown/Rozier weren't happy that he was just thrown right back into the starters role. And he was right. That caused some chemistry issues right off the bat. Why do you think Hayward volunteered to come off the bench? But can you blame Hayward? It isn't his fault he was injured. He was an all-star that signed a max deal pre-injury, whereas Tatum/Brown/Rozier are thinking, "we just came a quarter away from the finals without you, bro."....they had the wrong mindset and are to blame for the majority of the Celtics issues.

Lots of wisdom on here. Pretty much totally agree. Regardless it’s going to be a solid team next year
Sign here
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,350

Post#75 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 pm

jeremym480 wrote:If Kyire, or AD or Kyrie/AD isn't possible, then I guess my preference would be "running it back" with the current team, plus bringing back former C's Rondo and IT. In free agency or the draft, we need a pure shooter and another BIG bigman. Possibly bring Theis back depending on how much he cost but I'd almost prefer a big who can bang Embiid and take some pressure off of Horford (especially, if Baynes is injured). Something like the following

Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford
Rondo, ?, Semi, Morris, Baynes
IT, 14, 20, ?, Williams

That's not going to be a championship squad but should at least be a fun, competitive team that will maybe make some noise in the playoffs. And if Brown and Tatum get back to their 17/18 self's and progress even more and Hayward gets back to his pre-injury self, and they get hot, then who knows.

This is something like what I'm thinking.
It's all fluid at this point.:

2019-20 Proposed
Irving - Hayward? - Tatum - Horford - Baynes
Rondo or IT - Smart - Brown - Morris - Williams
Larkin/Dozier - Ojeleye - - Theis?
2-3 x 1st Rounders
2 x Two-Ways
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#76 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat May 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Larkin is balling out of his mind in Europe. He is playing the Euroleague final tomorrow. You should tune in. He's been amazing. He reaped FCBarcelona in their court. He is currently averaging 22-7-7 in the "Playoffs". Not even Doncic was averaging this numbers. That's out of the world numbers for Euroleague scoring pace. Wouldn't mind him in the Wanamaker role next year. He'd be great for the RS.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
KG and Truth
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#77 » by KG and Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm

One guy no one is really talking about is Beal. Seems like his Wizards days are numbered, wouldn't make much sense for them to keep him. Similar to Butler in '17 for Chicago. That team is done. Time to rebuild. 2 years left on his deal is the best time to deal him.

Hayward/Grizz pick/other picks for him could work. Conley might fit the team better but Beal is younger/better though. Just have a glut of wings already.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#78 » by FutureIsGreen » Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 am

Smart, Rozier, Derrick Rose, Josh Jackson (cheap due to Arrest)
Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye,
Hayward, Morris
Baynes, Williams, Horford.

Draft a C/PF and pure shooter.

Trade Yabs to Suns for Jackson.
MLE on Rose.

Hope the off court bs disappears with KI gone, doesn't change much, can afford it. If we see the same issues here at the beginning of the year, trade Horford to a contender and try to get Davis as a UFA having kept all our assets.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#79 » by FutureIsGreen » Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 am

FutureIsGreen wrote:Smart, Rozier, Derrick Rose, Josh Jackson (cheap due to Arrest)
Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye,
Hayward, Morris
Baynes, Williams, Horford.

Draft a C/PF and pure shooter.

Trade Yabs to Suns for Jackson.
MLE on Rose.

Hope the off court bs disappears with KI gone, doesn't change much, can afford it. If we see the same issues here at the beginning of the year, trade Horford to a contender and try to get Davis as a UFA having kept all our assets.

Would pick Kabengele, Jontay Porter, Guy and use the 2nd rounder on another shooter like Guy.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,350

Post#80 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 am

Bring most of these Guys back.
But resolve the locker room Jam.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics