ImageImageImage

DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Re: DISASTER FA Scenario... what do you do 

Post#81 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 am

Kobblehead wrote:The Dlo thing is interesting. I'm not in love with his game, but he makes sense in a lot of ways. It doesn't hurt that he already has relationships with our guys.

Dlo is a worse player than Ben Simmons, he is an inefficient chucker, like what's the point?
Horrible takes since 2016
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#82 » by hookshot199 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:26 pm

youngcrev wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
You're incorrect. The trade checker is basing off of our current cap situation where we are over the cap. Once the season ends and we renounce the free agents, we will be under the cap. Different rules apply. Please let this go.

Well, gents, my apologies and thank you for the explanation.

But then the next question, separate from the one I raised: What do we trade if our roster
consists primarily of Embiid, Simmons, Zhaire, Bolden and our 2019 pick?

Salary matching rules don't apply if you are far enough under the cap absorb the incoming salary.

As I said, I clearly went on a tangent because I misunderstood that the scenario - to trade for both Davis
and Jrue was post-July. And I'll apologize again.

That said, no one has explained what we have to offer - besides Simmons - in a trade for both Davis and
Jrue. Or why New Orleans would be interested.

They've got Jrue for three more years on reasonably good money - $26 mil - for the next three years. He
was an all star (once) and all defensive team player (in 2017/2018). Griffin's not going to give him away.
So what do we have to trade?

We only have one player that's of any value (excluding Embiid) and that's Ben. Griffin will surely want
Ben for Jrue, assuming he's willing to trade him, and he might ask for more. He'd want Ben for Davis
at a minimum. We don't have two Bens.

So the poster's premise that we can take on disproportionate salary in trade if we're under the cap is
correct. But again, for whom? And for how much?

So I'm opposed to trading Ben for Davis in a disaster scenario - unless there's some sort of sign-and-
trade; not likely, I suppose. But that would be a good trade if we bring Davis in on a max contract.

I also don't think that Jrue is enough value. But if it's a choice between the two - a non-guaranteed
Davis or a three-year-under-contract Jrue, I go for Jrue.

We would lose that trade IMO. Therefore, it's better to use that $60-$70 mil in the free-agency market.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding the premise. I should have focused what would be fair value for
a top-five player in his prime and borderline all-star, also in his prime, both under 30.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#83 » by youngcrev » Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Well, gents, my apologies and thank you for the explanation.

But then the next question, separate from the one I raised: What do we trade if our roster
consists primarily of Embiid, Simmons, Zhaire, Bolden and our 2019 pick?

Salary matching rules don't apply if you are far enough under the cap absorb the incoming salary.

As I said, I clearly went on a tangent because I misunderstood that the scenario - to trade for both Davis

That said, no one has explained what we have to offer - besides Simmons - in a trade for both Davis and

They've got Jrue for three more years on reasonably good money - $26 mil - for the next three years. He
was an all star (once) and all defensive team player (in 2017/2018). Griffin's not going to give him away.

We only have one player that's of any value (excluding Embiid) and that's Ben. Griffin will surely want
Ben for Jrue, assuming he's willing to trade him, and he might ask for more. He'd want Ben for Davis

So the poster's premise that we can take on disproportionate salary in trade if we're under the cap is

So I'm opposed to trading Ben for Davis in a disaster scenario - unless there's some sort of sign-and-
trade; not likely, I suppose. But that would be a good trade if we bring Davis in on a max contract.

I also don't think that Jrue is enough value. But if it's a choice between the two - a non-guaranteed

We would lose that trade IMO. Therefore, it's better to use that $60-$70 mil in the free-agency market.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding the premise. I should have focused what would be fair value for
a top-five player in his prime and borderline all-star, also in his prime, both under 30.

He was talking about dealing Embiid for Davis/Holiday as a means to build around Simmons.

Edit:
I don't really see how that accomplishes that, but that's the idea proposed. Realistically you'd be building your offense around Anthony Davis since he'd be your best player by a large margin in that scenario, which would mean the Jrue/Davis pick and roll and still having no clue what to do with Ben in the halfcourt. Plus I see no reason for AD to stick around once his contract is up.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#84 » by hookshot199 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 pm

youngcrev wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

He was talking about dealing Embiid for Davis/Holiday as a means to build around Simmons.

That makes it worse. I don't know if you remember the Twilight Zone. It was a popular TV series
back around the time Syracuse moved its basketball team to Philadelphia and renamed it the 76ers.
This idea, after investing six years to build a team around one of the best young players in the
game, destined for the Hall of Fame, if we can manage his minutes intelligently, is...well, better
not to comment.

It is ironic, however. We start The Process by trading Jrue and end it by bringing Jrue and a rental,
a very good rental, back.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#85 » by gdog2004 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

People need to stop with trading Embiid...he is never leaving Philly.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#86 » by youngcrev » Sat May 18, 2019 3:29 pm

I think Embiid will be a better player than Davis over the course of the next 5 years even if you factor out that AD would almost certainly leave the second he became a free agent.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#87 » by the_process » Sat May 18, 2019 5:33 pm

gdog2004 wrote:People need to stop with trading Embiid...he is never leaving Philly.

Until he blows out that knee? I think mitigating the constant injury scare has to be factored into the equation.
the_process
RealGM

Post#88 » by the_process » Sat May 18, 2019 5:37 pm

If we are going to assume that no big name FA are coming to Philly, and that any big name player that they trade for will walk at first opportunity... the Sixers might as well just re-hire Doug Collins and shoot for the yearly 7th seed.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#89 » by hookshot199 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 am

the_process wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:People need to stop with trading Embiid...he is never leaving Philly.

Until he blows out that knee? I think mitigating the constant injury scare has to be factored into the equation.

So maybe we need to make and follow a consistent plan for managing his minutes with the medical staff,
GM and coach all on board and sticking to that plan during the regular season, sign or develop a backup
and then playing whoever that backup, get Embiid to work with a nutritionist, and not conflate one injury
(an orbital fracture in his left eye caused by Markelle Fultz which affected his ability to shoot in the playoffs
last season) and tendonitis in his left knee (caused by playing him too many minutes early in the season and
keeping him out of the lineup for nearly half of the final 20-plus games).

One was a freak accident. The other was was not. We have had this discussion. I don't think anyone's position
will be changed by relitigating it. I blame the coach. Someone else blamed Elton Brand. And others blame our
medical staff.

And by the way, Anthony Davis has played an average of 67 games per season since coming into the league.
Add a game this past season, thus 68, while the Pelicans kept him out of the lineup to minimize any injury
risks following his trade demand. Note, however, that even though Davis's down time wasn't for the most part
due to managing his minutes, he has fairly a extensive history of injuries that kept him from playing.

https://basketballforever.com/2017/10/25/anthony-davis-added-injury-history-needs-seen-believed

So, what is the problem with sitting Embiid 10-15 games during the regular season (no back-to-backs) and
limiting his playing time to, say, 30-32 minutes/game? I realize Tim Duncan was several years older when
Popovich began cutting his minutes (then, again, he wasn't playing on a rebuilt foot), but in the final 10 years
of Duncan's 19-year career he averaged 30 minutes/game while leading the Spurs to three finals appearances
including two championships.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#90 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 19, 2019 3:48 pm

@hookshot199

The organization has struggled to get Embiid on board with any load management plan they've tried to adhere to. He complains publicly and privately about being withheld and sometimes even forces his way on the court against orders.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#91 » by hookshot199 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Kobblehead wrote:@hookshot199

The organization has struggled to get Embiid on board with any load management plan they've tried to adhere to. He complains publicly and privately about being withheld and sometimes even forces his way on the court against orders.

I understand that. I thought there was "I see the light" moment toward the end of the regular season
(can't locate the quote) when he finally acknowledged that he may have to make some change in the
interests of having a longer career.

That still doesn't absolve the organization for not bringing in or developing a backup or a legitimate
starting 4 -after the Saric trade. Or for not being ready for one of the three centers who give him
problems - Gasol, Steven Adams and Baynes.

One player we could use to be frank is whoever's the closest in today's game to Charles Oakley or
Reggie Evans.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#92 » by BullyKing » Sun May 19, 2019 5:04 pm

hookshot199 wrote:

I understand that. I thought there was "I see the light" moment toward the end of the regular season
(can't locate the quote) when he finally acknowledged that he may have to make some change in the

That still doesn't absolve the organization for not bringing in or developing a backup or a legitimate
starting 4 -after the Saric trade. Or for not being ready for one of the three centers who give him

One player we could use to be frank is whoever's the closest in today's game to Charles Oakley or
Reggie Evans.

So Tobias Harris is not a legitimate starting 4?

And there's a reason the Oakley and Evans types have disappeared from the league. And with our team in particular, I can't imagine how awful our offense would be if we added another paint clogger in with Embiid and Simmons.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#93 » by 76ciology » Sun May 19, 2019 5:12 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I hate Russell's game. He's just not a "winning" player.

He’s not a winning player as a first option. Defensively, he can be hidden just as how we hide JJ on defense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#94 » by hookshot199 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 pm

BullyKing wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

Reggie Evans.

And there's a reason the Oakley and Evans types have disappeared from the league. And with our team in particular, I can't imagine how awful our offense would be if we added another paint clogger in with Embiid and Simmons.

Re Tobias not being a "legitimate" starting 4: We can discuss that at another time. My comments were
about the 10 weeks following the Saric trade and the early February trade deadline when our front court,
sans Embiid, comprised Chandler, Muscala, Amir and Bolden. That's not a legitimate front court, and it was
during this period that Brown, Brand or our medical staff (Embiid, in part, if you agree with Kobblehead)
ran Embiid into the ground.

I don't wish to write a screed. I'm sure you don't want to read one. But I accept your analysis that Bolden
wasn't the answer. I posted that we had to bring somebody in - even a 10-day contract x two. We didn't.

As for the rest, I didn't say our Reggie or Oakley clone had to be on the court with Embiid, although when
he's getting "bullied" as happened in the Toronto series it wouldn't hurt to have someone knock some heads.
But when he was off the court after the Saric trade - and he should have played 30 minutes IMO - our front
court consisted of, I repeat: Muscala, Chandler, Amir (over the hill) and Bolden (who you claim didn't have
a clue of what he was to do on defense).

BTW: I had a couple of beers tonight with a Knicks fan among a Celtics fan group. His first comment was:
How did you lose to Toronto?"
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#95 » by BullyKing » Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

Reggie Evans.

Re Tobias not being a "legitimate" starting 4: We can discuss that at another time. My comments were
about the 10 weeks following the Saric trade and the early February trade deadline when our front court,
sans Embiid, comprised Chandler, Muscala, Amir and Bolden. That's not a legitimate front court, and it was
during this period that Brown, Brand or our medical staff (Embiid, in part, if you agree with Kobblehead)

I don't wish to write a screed. I'm sure you don't want to read one. But I accept your analysis that Bolden
wasn't the answer. I posted that we had to bring somebody in - even a 10-day contract x two. We didn't.

As for the rest, I didn't say our Reggie or Oakley clone had to be on the court with Embiid, although when
he's getting "bullied" as happened in the Toronto series it wouldn't hurt to have someone knock some heads.
But when he was off the court after the Saric trade - and he should have played 30 minutes IMO - our front
court consisted of, I repeat: Muscala, Chandler, Amir (over the hill) and Bolden (who you claim didn't have

BTW: I had a couple of beers tonight with a Knicks fan among a Celtics fan group. His first comment was:

I think there is good and bad news when it comes to managing Joel's minutes. First the bad:
(1) Joel is just never going to be able to handle 40+ minutes without fatigue. No one really can but certainly not a 280 lb behemoth.
(2) There's no simple single solution to the problem.

The good news is that I think there are a lot of areas for incremental improvement (i.e., blame to go around):
(1) Joel has got to take his nutrition and conditioning more seriously. That also includes not complaining when the team tells him to sit out a back to back against the Hawks.
(2) Brett has to be smarter about the minutes Joel is on the bench. I think he does some good things there like timing his rests to overlap with TV timeouts so that there are a couple extra minutes of rest while the clock is stopped. But we need to play at a much slower pace when Embiid is on the bench. If the Raptors are plus 12 in 3 minutes when Joel is sitting, we are just giving them way too many possessions in those three minutes. Slow down the pace and just try to minimize the damage.
(3) Embiid is a singularly effective defensive force. Guys are scared to even go into the lane when he's in. You're never going to find a backup that can replicate that but Brand is just making matters worse with the no defense backup centers he game the team to work with.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM

Post#96 » by the_process » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am

Because he likes to talk trash, and Embiid on load management gives opponents an easy go to in trash talk back.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

So true. Its also one of the reason why he hated BC. Aside putting protections on his contract that favors the team
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#98 » by hookshot199 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 pm

BullyKing wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I think there is good and bad news when it comes to managing Joel's minutes. First the bad:
(1) Joel is just never going to be able to handle 40+ minutes without fatigue. No one really can but certainly not a 280 lb behemoth.
(2) There's no simple single solution to the problem.

The good news is that I think there are a lot of areas for incremental improvement (i.e., blame to go around):
(1) Joel has got to take his nutrition and conditioning more seriously. That also includes not complaining when the team tells him to sit out a back to back against the Hawks.
(2) Brett has to be smarter about the minutes Joel is on the bench. I think he does some good things there like timing his rests to overlap with TV timeouts so that there are a couple extra minutes of rest while the clock is stopped. But we need to play at a much slower pace when Embiid is on the bench. If the Raptors are plus 12 in 3 minutes when Joel is sitting, we are just giving them way too many possessions in those three minutes. Slow down the pace and just try to minimize the damage.
(3) Embiid is a singularly effective defensive force. Guys are scared to even go into the lane when he's in. You're never going to find a backup that can replicate that but Brand is just making matters worse with the no defense backup centers he game the team to work with.

Well articulated.

I guess the question I still have is: Was it Brand's decision not to hold several 10-day tryouts and bring
a backup onboard based on those "10-day contractual" tryouts? Hell, we needed a defensive wing and
look how popular - and successful, in my opinion - Corey Brewer was. We should have signed him to the
end of the season if he wasn't going to play Zhaire. And if he wasn't going to play Korkmaz, he was a
wasted roster spot.

Did Brand propose anyone? And did Brown refuse? Or do they operate like silos and don't communicate?

It is clear that Amir didn't have enough game left. It is less clear that he couldn't - or wouldn't - find
a way to integrate Bolden into certain game situations for a few minutes. Either way, after watching
last night's marathon game, it is clear that the two top teams in the East either had deeper benches
or, at least, played their benches.

I hope that we bring in an executive assistant to help Brown be a better coach. But I think the first
step, as you pointed out, is to accept the fact that Embiid is not going to be a 40 mpg player and to
do all the things to get maximum bang for his minutes - including slowing the pace when he's not in.

I only listen to parts of Brown's press conferences intermittently, but I can assure that I would have
pressed him on why he doesn't insist that Ben shoot a jump shot when his unwillingness to shoot
obviously hurts the team. And why don't you hold Embiid accountable for so many turnovers and
shooting so many 3's when he's a 30% shooter

Ditto to Brand.

Over and out.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#99 » by smittybanton » Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm

A) Kemba Walker, D'Angelo Russell. The Sixers desperately need a pick and roll orchestrator for our half court game. Ben accepted his role off the ball for Jimmy Butler to do it. But Butler could not beat a double team with pocket passes on three straight possessions in the clutch. Markelle Fultz was supposed to be that guy. But we know what happened there. Ben Simmons will be a terrific screen and diver (better than Ed Davis or Jarrett Allen who were excellent finishers for Russell). And when you run it off of Joel Embiid, then Ben is there for the alley-oop if his man leaves to help. Problem is, I dont see Walker leaving, or the Nets letting Russell go--unless Kyrie signs with the Nets.

B) Khris Middleton and Malcolm Brogdon would be a score. Doubt seriously that Bucks let Brogdon walk. Not sure Middleton is worth $30m/yr.

C) Assuming they do not leave their respective clubs, investigate trades for Jrue Holiday and/or Otto Porter. Who knows what the Pelicans are going to do with Jrue? Porter may be on the block if the Bulls take Cam Reddish. Charlotte will pay us to take Nicolas Batum, like Denver paid us to take Wilson Chandler. Kent Bazemore should be available for cheap.

D) The two most underrated free agents in the league happen to fit our needs perfectly, and both are on a team that can't afford to bring them back: The Washington Wizards' Tomas Satoransky and Thomas Bryant Jr. We need a 6'6 ballhandler to run the pick and roll as explained above, and we desperately need a 6'11 23 yr old center with mobility and range to backup Joel Embiid.

E) Ideal would be D'Angelo Russell, Kris Middleton and Thomas Bryant Jr. Realistically, Satoransky, Mirotic, Bryant Jr., Batum, Redick, Mike Scott.

Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Middleton/Porter/Batum, Nikola Mirotic, Joel Embiid
Tomas Satoransky, Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott, James Ennis, Thomas Bryant Jr.
Shamorie Ponds, Shake Milton, Matisse Thybulle, Jonah Bolden, Daniel Gafford
the_process
RealGM

Post#100 » by the_process » Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 am

Now that the Wiz dumped Otto for nothing, they have a lot more flexibility to be able to bring their FA’s back.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers