ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Given no other choice, which would you prefer?

Magic still be in charge with Rob gone
25%
Rob be in charge with Magic gone
75%

Total votes: 44

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,422

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#101 » by Revived » Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 am

myersia wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:Ill give Rob a chance. He has handled the media pretty well especially with Crybaby Johnson ripping the Lakers and Rob apart. I can’t believe after all that **** he said he goes, “I’m a Lakers fan” FOH with that BS...moron...

Pretty much my sentiment. I have zero respect for Magic. It's almost seems as if he's intentionally trying to harm the Lakers.

If anything rob looked really good honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Ramona said the Lakers are a dumpster fire

Read on Twitter

I honestly think this makes Magic look worse than it does the Lakers imo.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#102 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 am

Still in awe at how many fans are acting surprised at Magic’s level of selfishness. He was doing the exact same thing for years when he would routinely criticize Jim Buss and Mike D’Antoni through twitter and the media. He always made it about himself and made it harder for the Lakers to succeed by casting doubt for any free agent considering signing.

Took long enough for most of you to see what Magic has always been, im probably a bit bitter that being anti-Magic was a lonely position to take all those years ago.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Jack Bauer
Junior
And1: 98

Post#103 » by Jack Bauer » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 am

Jordan-esque wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol:
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#104 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 am

Revived wrote:
myersia wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:
Pretty much my sentiment. I have zero respect for Magic. It's almost seems as if he's intentionally trying to harm the Lakers.

Read on Twitter

Ramona just mad that Jeanie ain’t talking to her anymore. **** espn

Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#105 » by Slink » Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 am

myersia wrote:
Revived wrote:
myersia wrote:

Read on Twitter

Even though that might be true, you would think someone would put out a statement to the media and fans long ago before it got to this mess.
myersia
Analyst

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#106 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 am

Slink wrote:
myersia wrote:
Revived wrote:Ramona said the Lakers are a dumpster fire

Read on Twitter

Even though that might be true, you would think someone would put out a statement to the media and fans long ago before it got to this mess.

I agree. But listening to woj talk today it’s clear woj is the new laker voice. Guy went from bashing us to singing pelinka’s praises. Money talks

tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#107 » by tlifeset » Tue May 21, 2019 4:00 am

I will always love Magic Johnson, but it's easy to see that he is and always will be a pleaser. It's clear that him and Rob's relationship is just fine behind closed doors, but when Stephen A. wants to ham it up - Magic will oblige him. All because he wants to create a good experience for all, even if it's not entirely true. That's why it's very hard to identify his core beliefs on anything.

Magic tells Jeanie he'll be in and out in the role. Rob complains that Magic is too in and out. Magic gets angry that Rob said he was in and out. It's all a giant waste of time, and quite clearly not the reason Magic stepped down.

I was mostly happy with what Magic said about the FA targets - he sent a clear message to both that they are desired and Lebron is coming for them. And his remark about Lebron is 100% true - if you want to win right now, Lebron is the right bet. Not the Clippers.

All in all, I thought Rob handled all the criticism like a pro in the press conference. He was composed and gave sensible answers.

If Vogel can survive today, he'll be just fine.

And, for the record, for everyone complaining about all the drama surrounding the Lakers right now. I got news for you... it's ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY! Nobody generates stories and drama like this team. There's always something going on. Don't get mad at the remaining Buss family members - their dad was the same way, loved the press machine. All coverage is good coverage.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#108 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 am

tlifeset wrote: will always love Magic Johnson, but it's easy to see that he is and always will be a pleaser. It's clear that him and Rob's relationship is just fine behind closed doors, but when Stephen A. wants to ham it up - Magic will oblige him. All because he wants to create a good experience for all, even if it's not entirely true. That's why it's very hard to identify his core beliefs on anything.

Nothing about Magic's interview was about pleasing others.

Magic took the low road. Pelinka took the high road.

It's as simple as that.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#109 » by tlifeset » Tue May 21, 2019 5:55 am

zimpy27 wrote:
tlifeset wrote: will always love Magic Johnson, but it's easy to see that he is and always will be a pleaser. It's clear that him and Rob's relationship is just fine behind closed doors, but when Stephen A. wants to ham it up - Magic will oblige him. All because he wants to create a good experience for all, even if it's not entirely true. That's why it's very hard to identify his core beliefs on anything.

Nothing about Magic's interview was about pleasing others.

Magic took the low road. Pelinka took the high road.

It's as simple as that.

I think you're missing my point. Magic's interview was pleasing to those people in the room at ESPN, especially Stephen A. He can't help himself but to try to please the people he is face to face with. That's why he wouldn't go see Jeannie before he stepped down and that's why 2 days ago he was talking to Rob. I've seen this type of person many times in my profession - he is a pleaser. Pleasers will bad mouth other people in order to win over the person in front of their face.

Having said that, you are 100% correct. Pelinka took that high road and handled it with professionalism and grace. It made me feel proud to have him at the helm.

Btw, it is SO incredibly clear to me that Stephen A's relentless attempts to say that he's heard from "hundreds" of people about how much they hate Pelinka is a lie and purely based on his relationship with Magic. He is a snake who knows how to scratch the back of his "sources." How do you think he got Magic on First Take?

Pelinka clearly has a good relationship with other GMs (see: trades) and most agents (see: rich paul).
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#110 » by Michael Lucky » Tue May 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Nice to see many in the media finally turning on Magic this morning. About time.
myersia
Analyst

Post#111 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 pm

I just don’t get how Jeanie can still be friends with magic. Dude is using all his media sources to destroy her so she has to sell the team to magic.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#112 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm

myersia wrote:I just don’t get how Jeanie can still be friends with magic. Dude is using all his media sources to destroy her so she has to sell the team to magic.

Or he's helping her. Which is probably an unpopular take.
myersia
Analyst

Post#113 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 pm

iamworthy wrote:
myersia wrote:I just don’t get how Jeanie can still be friends with magic. Dude is using all his media sources to destroy her so she has to sell the team to magic.

Or he's helping her. Which is probably an unpopular take.

It’s possible. This could all be a wwe storyline. Which is fine but if she is going to sell or do anything please do it this month or before he draft. Honestly a new owner and new management would be perfect going into free agency.

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#114 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 3:49 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#115 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Let us not forget Magic was trolling the lakers even before being hired. Sewing discord at every turn.

Lakers need to focus on just these facts in FA: Have Lebron, money, youth, and trended well into christmas even with a **** roster constructed by Magic.
myersia
Analyst

Post#116 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Magic doesn’t get it. We don’t need another assist from you man. You have become a turnover we don’t need.

Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#117 » by Penberthy » Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 pm

womp womp
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#118 » by Kilroy » Tue May 21, 2019 6:30 pm

What jumps out today after thinking about all this... This seems to all have come to a head with the Fire Luke thing...

Magic says he presented his case to Jeanie... "This is what Luke did good. This is what he didn't."

Honestly, nothing he said seemed more like BS than that to me... Magic doesn't sit down and explain anything... He's not a pro/con kind of guy.... He's a "Hey, let's do this!" guy and if you don't immediately agree, there's something wrong with you...

I think Jeanie brought in Tim Harris precisely because Magic did NOT present a decent case for firing Luke... He just wanted to fire him... Period.
I'm not even sure any of the discussion about LeBron not liking Luke was even true... That might all have been spin from Magic...

Anyway, it's all moot now, but at the same time, that really jumped out at me as an obvious point Magic was BSing, and playing to Smiths agendas for popular support...

With all the contradictions and obvious untruths in his statements since all this happened, you seriously have to wonder what his endgame is?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
xBlackMamba
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#119 » by xBlackMamba » Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm

myersia wrote:The more I think about this...this is totally a move by our FO. Magic is going to go on first take and defend Jeanie and rob and will talk about how great the lakers are. He’s pretty much our PR guy now

This aged poorly. God I love this team :lol:
myersia
Analyst

Post#120 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

xBlackMamba wrote:
myersia wrote:The more I think about this...this is totally a move by our FO. Magic is going to go on first take and defend Jeanie and rob and will talk about how great the lakers are. He’s pretty much our PR guy now

This aged poorly. God I love this team :lol:

Yeah I was beyond wrong. Wish I wasn’t though lol.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers