Frank Vogel introductory press conference 11 am Pacific

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Frank Vogel introductory press conference 11 am Pacific 

Post#1 » by Slava » Mon May 20, 2019 4:30 pm

This is gonna be good. Nowhere to hide for the front office today unless they just throw vogel to the media and disappear again.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: Frank Vogel introductory press conference 11 am Pacific 

Post#2 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 4:49 pm

They should just throw Magic under the bus. Wont be hard to find a few examples of him not taking the job seriously.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm

I think they’ll refuse to answer any questions about Magic, probably will just say theyre there to talk about the new coach. Only good questions they might address is why they felt offering a 3 year deal to Lue was fair considering that basically all coaches get 4-5 years on their deal.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#4 » by iamworthy » Mon May 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:They should just throw Magic under the bus. Wont be hard to find a few examples of him not taking the job seriously.

Lakers will not win a PR battle against Magic.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#5 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 20, 2019 5:02 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:They should just throw Magic under the bus. Wont be hard to find a few examples of him not taking the job seriously.

Clearly. Magic is a great con artist. I'll give him that.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#6 » by gts1 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Good press conference... Sounds like he's all in... Pelinka handled the non Vogel questions well, Vogel handled the non Vogel questions well too...lol

Media wanted to stray away from the topic of Vogel so looks like they shut it down once everyone in the room had their shot at a question
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#7 » by tviper » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Rob said that the process on the basketball side was simple. He asks for input, then makes a recommendation to Jeanie. In other words, this sounds very discouraging. He also said that the position of POBO was eliminated. Thus, for those of us holding out hope that Jeannie would hire a POBO to take control of the basketball side, it is not happening. Can't imagine anything going smoothly next year, and probably ends the probability of signing a max FA.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#8 » by Jedi32 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

Clearly. Magic is a great con artist. I'll give him that.

:crazy:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#9 » by Kilroy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 pm

The press conference was a lot better than others we've had recently... Rob kept to the point and didn't stray into pseudo-intellectual discussions of literary fiction...
Vogel said the right things but wasn't quite as polished as I would have hoped... Maybe that's why Kidd's there...

We'll see... Slightly more confident in Pelinka, slightly less in Vogle's ability to hold this team together... So many questions.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
carjoch_831
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#10 » by carjoch_831 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Lebron present is a good sign. Showing he is all in on Vogel.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#11 » by john248 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 pm

It is what it is.
The Last Word
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 pm

carjoch_831 wrote:Lebron present is a good sign. Showing he is all in on Vogel.

Honestly, the way it played out, I wasn't sure if it was a show of support or a power-move by LeBron... He didn't really look like he was there to cheer on Vogel, and Vogel seemed to go out of his way to repeatedly say "All the players will be coached hard"...

So I'm not sure what really was going on there... I think the superficial "LeBron supports Vogel" read, may be off on this one...
Just a gut feeling watching LeBron arrive and hearing what FV had to say.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Kilroy wrote:

Honestly, the way it played out, I wasn't sure if it was a show of support or a power-move by LeBron... He didn't really look like he was there to cheer on Vogel, and Vogel seemed to go out of his way to repeatedly say "All the players will be coached hard"...

So I'm not sure what really was going on there... I think the superficial "LeBron supports Vogel" read, may be off on this one...

It's likely LeBron respects Frank having been pushed by his Pacers teams. Vogel coached teams have always done pretty well against LeBron, even the Orlando teams were relatively good.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#14 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 am

Excited about frank. Thought he did amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Cafu
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#15 » by Cafu » Tue May 21, 2019 4:11 am

Kilroy wrote:

Nah I think that was Lebron showing support to the new coach. He realizes that the best chance for him to win another ship is just be supportive and unite everyone IMO.
This clown show maybe is too much even for Lebron lol
And well, at this stage what is the harm if we go all bron's way, I have more trust in Lebron than anyone in the FO right now.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#16 » by Dr Aki » Tue May 21, 2019 4:17 am

tviper wrote:Rob said that the process on the basketball side was simple. He asks for input, then makes a recommendation to Jeanie. In other words, this sounds very discouraging. He also said that the position of POBO was eliminated. Thus, for those of us holding out hope that Jeannie would hire a POBO to take control of the basketball side, it is not happening. Can't imagine anything going smoothly next year, and probably ends the probability of signing a max FA.

POBO was a position created it of thin air for Magic.

Prior to that it was just a GM position held by Kupchak
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 4:30 am

Dr Aki wrote:
tviper wrote:Rob said that the process on the basketball side was simple. He asks for input, then makes a recommendation to Jeanie. In other words, this sounds very discouraging. He also said that the position of POBO was eliminated. Thus, for those of us holding out hope that Jeannie would hire a POBO to take control of the basketball side, it is not happening. Can't imagine anything going smoothly next year, and probably ends the probability of signing a max FA.

Magic’s POBO was equivalent to Jim Buss’ VPOBO that he held since 2005 and before that was held by Jerry West, with both having the GM, Mitch, report to them.

It’s really just semantics (President vs. VP), point is the GM hasn’t reported directly to ownership in over 20 years
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#18 » by tviper » Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 am

dockingsched wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:

Magic’s POBO was equivalent to Jim Buss’ VPOBO that he held since 2005 and before that was held by Jerry West, with both having the GM, Mitch, report to them.

It’s really just semantics (President vs. VP), point is the GM hasn’t reported directly to ownership in over 20 years

precisely. reporting directly to ownership being the problem when ownership is incompetent.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#19 » by Slava » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

Got to admit both Vogel and pelinka came out very well in a very difficult press conference considering the Magic Johnson situation. Happy that pelinka took the high road, not that he had another option engaging in a PR battle against a guy with a million dollar charisma.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#20 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't know how in the hell Pelinka and Kobe are best friends.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers