ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 6,714
And1: 2,044
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#321 » by madmaxmedia » Sat May 18, 2019 4:12 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26770003/lakers-not-hire-replacement-magic

"My role as the GM right now is the same as it was when we selected Lonzo Ball with the second pick, which is our last high pick," Pelinka said earlier this week when asked if his responsibilities and role have changed since Johnson stepped down. "My role hasn't changed since then.”


...which is literally impossible given the changes around him, unless by that he means ‘I’ll let others make the pick, and then I’ll call in the pick to Adam Silver.’

Either his role and authority has grown, or Magic has been replaced by Jeannie/Phil/Kurt/Linda/whomever. If the first is true then so be it. I don’t think it’s smart but the second scenario is even worse (I think?) Worst than everything is simply the lack of clarity. You can say they know what they’re doing behind the scenes, but if they did they wouldn’t seem so disorganized publicly. Every lie contains 80% truth.

I think if you straight asked them ‘Who made the final call on hiring Vogel?’, you wouldn’t get a straight answer out of any of them.
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,788
And1: 10,859
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#322 » by dockingsched » Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 am

madmaxmedia wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26770003/lakers-not-hire-replacement-magic

"My role as the GM right now is the same as it was when we selected Lonzo Ball with the second pick, which is our last high pick," Pelinka said earlier this week when asked if his responsibilities and role have changed since Johnson stepped down. "My role hasn't changed since then.”


...which is literally impossible given the changes around him, unless by that he means ‘I’ll let others make the pick, and then I’ll call in the pick to Adam Silver.’

Either his role and authority has grown, or Magic has been replaced by Jeannie/Phil/Kurt/Linda/whomever. If the first is true then so be it. I don’t think it’s smart but the second scenario is even worse (I think.)

I think if you straight asked them ‘Who made the final call on hiring Vogel?’, you wouldn’t get a straight answer out of any of them.


It’s not really impossible if reports are true that Magic wasn’t doing anything and was never in the office.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 6,714
And1: 2,044
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#323 » by madmaxmedia » Sat May 18, 2019 4:17 am

dockingsched wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26770003/lakers-not-hire-replacement-magic

"My role as the GM right now is the same as it was when we selected Lonzo Ball with the second pick, which is our last high pick," Pelinka said earlier this week when asked if his responsibilities and role have changed since Johnson stepped down. "My role hasn't changed since then.”


...which is literally impossible given the changes around him, unless by that he means ‘I’ll let others make the pick, and then I’ll call in the pick to Adam Silver.’

Either his role and authority has grown, or Magic has been replaced by Jeannie/Phil/Kurt/Linda/whomever. If the first is true then so be it. I don’t think it’s smart but the second scenario is even worse (I think.)

I think if you straight asked them ‘Who made the final call on hiring Vogel?’, you wouldn’t get a straight answer out of any of them.


It’s not really impossible if reports are true that Magic wasn’t doing anything and was never in the office.


I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,264
And1: 703
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#324 » by myersia » Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26770003/lakers-not-hire-replacement-magic



...which is literally impossible given the changes around him, unless by that he means ‘I’ll let others make the pick, and then I’ll call in the pick to Adam Silver.’

Either his role and authority has grown, or Magic has been replaced by Jeannie/Phil/Kurt/Linda/whomever. If the first is true then so be it. I don’t think it’s smart but the second scenario is even worse (I think.)

I think if you straight asked them ‘Who made the final call on hiring Vogel?’, you wouldn’t get a straight answer out of any of them.


It’s not really impossible if reports are true that Magic wasn’t doing anything and was never in the office.


I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.


Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
tviper
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,806
And1: 259
Joined: Nov 25, 2005

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#325 » by tviper » Sat May 18, 2019 5:07 am

myersia wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
It’s not really impossible if reports are true that Magic wasn’t doing anything and was never in the office.


I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.


Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Totally agree. People get so caught up in ridiculous media narratives that they don't stop and think for a minute. As an agent in the league for many years, I don't see what makes him unqualified. As it appears now, Magic was an impediment to a functioning FO, and now that he is gone perhaps things will normalize. At this point it is up to Lebron to recruit a second max guy. Pelinka can help, but Lebron needs to make it happen. Nothing Pelinka can do on his own. Conduct the draft process, make the best selection depending on the personal workouts and scouts input, and then sign a max FA.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,264
And1: 703
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#326 » by myersia » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 pm

tviper wrote:
myersia wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.


Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Totally agree. People get so caught up in ridiculous media narratives that they don't stop and think for a minute. As an agent in the league for many years, I don't see what makes him unqualified. As it appears now, Magic was an impediment to a functioning FO, and now that he is gone perhaps things will normalize. At this point it is up to Lebron to recruit a second max guy. Pelinka can help, but Lebron needs to make it happen. Nothing Pelinka can do on his own. Conduct the draft process, make the best selection depending on the personal workouts and scouts input, and then sign a max FA.


110%


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
Posts: 893
And1: 92
Joined: May 24, 2005
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#327 » by tlifeset » Sat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

Im just going to leave this here so i’m on record.

Ramona is a mouth piece for the lakers organization, every one knows it. They use her to perpetuate either better optics or to drop misleading stories for larger machevelian reasons.

The timing of the lakers feeding her this story now is kind of odd.

The “better optics” reason is probably because rob is handling all the draft work and they want fans to stop questioning him and player/agents to know that they are dealing with the final decision maker and not some placeholder.

But there is a part of me that can’t help but notice that the Raptors were on their way to an 0-2 series vs a juggernaut. And they don’t want to be seen as tamperers. And they really want Kawhi.

And, well, that Masai might be in play.

Im just sayin.
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,259
And1: 4,354
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#328 » by Danny Darko » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

tlifeset wrote:Im just going to leave this here so i’m on record.

Ramona is a mouth piece for the lakers organization, every one knows it. They use her to perpetuate either better optics or to drop misleading stories for larger machevelian reasons.

The timing of the lakers feeding her this story now is kind of odd.

The “better optics” reason is probably because rob is handling all the draft work and they want fans to stop questioning him and player/agents to know that they are dealing with the final decision maker and not some placeholder.

But there is a part of me that can’t help but notice that the Raptors were on their way to an 0-2 series vs a juggernaut. And they don’t want to be seen as tamperers. And they really want Kawhi.

And, well, that Masai might be in play.

Im just sayin.


Remember when our owner actually paid a professional PR person? Those were the days.

Read on Twitter
Image
Lakernut4ever
Junior
Posts: 328
And1: 84
Joined: May 19, 2015
 

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#329 » by Lakernut4ever » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 am

The only way the front office gets fixed is a new central figure - a new POBO....after Magic's damaging statements on the front office went public....maybe Ryan West.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,847
And1: 3,409
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#330 » by Spens1 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 am

tlifeset wrote:Im just going to leave this here so i’m on record.

Ramona is a mouth piece for the lakers organization, every one knows it. They use her to perpetuate either better optics or to drop misleading stories for larger machevelian reasons.

The timing of the lakers feeding her this story now is kind of odd.

The “better optics” reason is probably because rob is handling all the draft work and they want fans to stop questioning him and player/agents to know that they are dealing with the final decision maker and not some placeholder.

But there is a part of me that can’t help but notice that the Raptors were on their way to an 0-2 series vs a juggernaut. And they don’t want to be seen as tamperers. And they really want Kawhi.

And, well, that Masai might be in play.

Im just sayin.



I'd happily take Masai here, just hopefully he isn't involved in the draft too much (then again he did get Siakim really late).
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,788
And1: 10,859
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#331 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 am

Think you guys missed the part where Rob confirmed that Jeanie abolished the POBO position.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,218
And1: 11,180
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#333 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 am

myersia wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253876/Jeanie-Buss-Repeatedly-Asked-Magic-Johnson-If-Any-Other-Issues-Led-To-Resignation

I believe this. **** magic


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


If Magic didn't keep say that he loved the Lakers I'd honestly think he hates the Lakers. Seems like an abusive relationship tbh.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,609
And1: 2,053
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#334 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 am

dockingsched wrote:Think you guys missed the part where Rob confirmed that Jeanie abolished the POBO position.

Naw not abolished, just left vacant so jeannie can give it to Rambis at his 62nd bday party and announce it on Instagram.
Image
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,609
And1: 7,257
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#335 » by Kilroy » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am

myersia wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
It’s not really impossible if reports are true that Magic wasn’t doing anything and was never in the office.


I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.


Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


He's had a chance... We've given him 2 years. And based on experience, he was only really ever qualified to be Magic's Cap/money man... Not lead all personnel negotiations.

With Pelinka in charge, I've gone from hoping we keep Klutch at arms-length, to hoping they have a serious say in everything they do.

Because Rob hasn't really shown any sign of have a plan or vision for what this team needs or what it can be.

That's what makes a guy qualified to be GM. He doesn't have to always be right, he just has to have a clear vision us fans can get behind.
User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,220
And1: 10,304
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#336 » by twix2500 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm

dockingsched wrote:Think you guys missed the part where Rob confirmed that Jeanie abolished the POBO position.


This is what people are forgetting. I dont know if its true, but its been reported that the POBO position was created for Magic. It was never a position prior to. So Magic leaving, the organizational chart reverts to the way it was before Magic.
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 16,813
And1: 3,484
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#337 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
myersia wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253876/Jeanie-Buss-Repeatedly-Asked-Magic-Johnson-If-Any-Other-Issues-Led-To-Resignation

I believe this. **** magic


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


If Magic didn't keep say that he loved the Lakers I'd honestly think he hates the Lakers. Seems like an abusive relationship tbh.


Part of the problem is magic is not 100% committed to the Lakers because he has other things going on. But in my opinion I'm confident if he was the owner of the Lakers he'd run it a lot better than Jeannie. At this point magic has FU money. He doesn't have to put up with this stuff.
wco81
General Manager
Posts: 7,707
And1: 1,947
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#338 » by wco81 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm

dockingsched wrote:Think you guys missed the part where Rob confirmed that Jeanie abolished the POBO position.


Get Up is blaming Jeannie for not giving Magic final say, like firing Luke Walton.

Regardless of the merits of that decision, was he the true POBO or not? Did he only answer to Jeannie but had final say on all basketball matters or not?

It’s not going well for her rep the more that names like the Rambises, Phil and Tim Harris are mentioned.

Too many cooks in the kitchen?
Jedi32
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,394
And1: 4,207
Joined: Oct 30, 2014
Location: Showtime Era
 

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#339 » by Jedi32 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

**** Rob we all know he is only here because of jeannie's loyalty to Kobe. Rob is a hack with a bad reputation and we need to get this snake/Judas out of here asap. Nothing good can come of him being here.
RamonSessions7
General Manager
Posts: 9,609
And1: 2,053
Joined: Feb 21, 2009
   

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#340 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Rob helped get Magic out, so he's good with me for now.
Image

Return to Los Angeles Lakers