ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Re: ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#341 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:09 pm

tviper wrote:
myersia wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
I get your point, but then does that mean Pelinka made all the decisions on the signings last offseason? And now he’s calling all the shots now, despite all these stories about The Rambii, Phil, etc.?

Pelinka isn’t really qualified to be a GM (at least without a strong, experienced POBO), much less de facto POBO.

It seems to me they have decided to roll with the current structure as reported in stories. They can be competent, reasonably smart people, but they are way unqualified and not set up correctly to compete with the better much less best FO’s in the league.

Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Totally agree. People get so caught up in ridiculous media narratives that they don't stop and think for a minute. As an agent in the league for many years, I don't see what makes him unqualified. As it appears now, Magic was an impediment to a functioning FO, and now that he is gone perhaps things will normalize. At this point it is up to Lebron to recruit a second max guy. Pelinka can help, but Lebron needs to make it happen. Nothing Pelinka can do on his own. Conduct the draft process, make the best selection depending on the personal workouts and scouts input, and then sign a max FA.

It's amazing that most fans and the media are treating Bob Myers as god at the same time think that Pelinka is hot garbage when they both were doing the same thing from the same employer several years ago. :o That Pelinka is too dumb to pass the bar and become an attorney and actually gain a trust of Kobe etc.
But about the point of Lebron helping with the recruiting, I agree but I think the biggest key here is Kobe. He was the one who suggested to Jeanie to hire Rob and I think its highly critical now that he needs to stand by his boy and help out and even gauge where these FAs are thinking of heading(if Kyrie says NY, then fine, Kobe tells Lebron and Rob to focus on someone else). He is not employed by the Lakers and can therefore now talk to Kyrie and even Kawhi after he's done playing. A Lebron/Kobe tandem on a mission to recruit will make the major difference for the Lakers.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#342 » by madmaxmedia » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
tviper wrote:
myersia wrote:
Why isn’t pelinka qualified? What makes one person qualified? Do you go to general manager school? Give the guy a chance. Everybody. Seriously give him a chance. It’s very likely magic did nothing as doc said. Pelinka probably had to do twice the work anyways before. Give the man a chance. The best experience he can get is what he is doing now. He could grow and become dominant. Give him a chance.

Totally agree. People get so caught up in ridiculous media narratives that they don't stop and think for a minute. As an agent in the league for many years, I don't see what makes him unqualified. As it appears now, Magic was an impediment to a functioning FO, and now that he is gone perhaps things will normalize. At this point it is up to Lebron to recruit a second max guy. Pelinka can help, but Lebron needs to make it happen. Nothing Pelinka can do on his own. Conduct the draft process, make the best selection depending on the personal workouts and scouts input, and then sign a max FA.

It's amazing that most fans and the media are treating Bob Myers as god at the same time think that Pelinka is hot garbage when they both were doing the same thing from the same employer several years ago. :o That Pelinka is too dumb to pass the bar and become an attorney and actually gain a trust of Kobe etc.
But about the point of Lebron helping with the recruiting, I agree but I think the biggest key here is Kobe. He was the one who suggested to Jeanie to hire Rob and I think its highly critical now that he needs to stand by his boy and help out and even gauge where these FAs are thinking of heading(if Kyrie says NY, then fine, Kobe tells Lebron and Rob to focus on someone else). He is not employed by the Lakers and can therefore now talk to Kyrie and even Kawhi after he's done playing. A Lebron/Kobe tandem on a mission to recruit will make the major difference for the Lakers.

It's not that Rob Pelinka can never be a good GM or even that things can't work out now, it's that he's currently unqualified to be the Lakers' GM, especially with the FO around him. Bob Myers had Jerry West to lean on for many years, and a better FO overall. Lakers' FO is a hot mess right now, and you have a GM with no FO experience, much less GM experience.

When the Lakers had Kobe and Shaq and underperformed, they went out and hired 'the guy' to bring it home- Phil Jackson. They didn't hire a first time coach and hope things worked out. Lakers are in a similar situation right now with Lebron, and doing it in the opposite manner. I don't blame Rob, I blame Jeannie.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#343 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 pm

There were murmurs that Jeanie Buss, whose blueprint has been to surround herself with people her father knew and trusted, had reached out to Riley in an attempt to coax him back to the West Coast in some front-office capacity. Riley shot down that notion on Monday.

"I have thought [about returning to the Lakers] only from a sentimental standpoint," Riley said. "But I was never pursued by them. Nobody officially contacted me. I have about 20 friends wishing I would come back, but nobody asked.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26788966/going-speak-mind

so clearly true that Riley would have entertained it. Possibly Meyers too.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#344 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 pm

I'll say this- I think Pelinka is lazer focused right now and fully understands his name is mud and will continue to be if he doesn't deliver. He also handled the Magic napalm with poise (and not stupid biblical nonsense) and he's obviously working:

Read on Twitter
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

ESPN: LAL will not replace Magic, Pelinka will report directly to ownership 

Post#345 » by myersia » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 am

Danny Darko wrote:I'll say this- I think Pelinka is lazer focused right now and fully understands his name is mud and will continue to be if he doesn't deliver. He also handled the Magic napalm with poise (and not stupid biblical nonsense) and he's obviously working:

Read on Twitter

Will the real pelinka please stand up?! Get’em Rob. Let’s show’em not to eff with the lakers!

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#346 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 22, 2019 2:38 am

Get it done Pelinka!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#347 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
There were murmurs that Jeanie Buss, whose blueprint has been to surround herself with people her father knew and trusted, had reached out to Riley in an attempt to coax him back to the West Coast in some front-office capacity. Riley shot down that notion on Monday.

"I have thought [about returning to the Lakers] only from a sentimental standpoint," Riley said. "But I was never pursued by them. Nobody officially contacted me. I have about 20 friends wishing I would come back, but nobody asked.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26788966/going-speak-mind
thanks for sharing. For those who don't click on the link. From Riley:
so clearly true that Riley would have entertained it. Possibly Meyers too.

I just have to wonder why Jeanie will rather listen to Linda and Kurt Rambis and Tim Harris and Rob instead of the legendary Pat Riley? :o I want to give Rob a chance but between him or Pat or a proven executive right now, I would rather get a veteran whose been there, this team has been very bad for the past 8 years now. Rob and his cohorts didn't even have Vogel in mind to coach this team. 2 freaking interviews with Lue and NOBODY thought of asking Lue if they decide to offer him the job, would he consider just coaching the team for just 3 years? :crazy:
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#348 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:14 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
tviper wrote:

It's not that Rob Pelinka can never be a good GM or even that things can't work out now, it's that he's currently unqualified to be the Lakers' GM, especially with the FO around him. Bob Myers had Jerry West to lean on for many years, and a better FO overall. Lakers' FO is a hot mess right now, and you have a GM with no FO experience, much less GM experience.

When the Lakers had Kobe and Shaq and underperformed, they went out and hired 'the guy' to bring it home- Phil Jackson. They didn't hire a first time coach and hope things worked out. Lakers are in a similar situation right now with Lebron, and doing it in the opposite manner. I don't blame Rob, I blame Jeannie.

I would rather have a veteran executive than Rob but who are we fans from the outside looking in, to judge this guy quickly if he is qualified or not? Yes, he is inexperienced but he dealt with GM's before, he studied law and passed the bar. Arn Tellem, a legendary sports agent decided to hire him along with Bob Myers. Players like Kobe, Harden, Ariza, Eric Gordon decided to hire him. Kobe loves the Lakers and trusted him enough to suggest Jeanie to hire him.
About Phil being hired to coach Shaq and KObe, yes, that was a great move by Jerry Buss. West was actually very hesitant to get Phil but Buss was committed to hire the BEST AVAILABLE coach no matter what. Rob irked me when he failed to do everything he can to bring in the coach the Whole FO decided the BEST coach for this team. 2 freaking interviews with Lue and they didn't asked if he'll consider coaching the team for just 3 years. But moving forward, I think Rob needs some benefit and if he wise, he would ask Kobe to recruit hard, starting now with Kyrie.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#349 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 22, 2019 4:06 pm

He’s unqualified because he literally has no qualifications (direct experience or track record) to be essentially the POBO of the Lakers. That doesn’t mean he can’t do the job, that doesn’t even mean he won’t do a great job. He‘s just (almost) no one’s first choice to take over at such a critical juncture in Laker history. Older Lebron, seemingly on the outside looking in at the top free agents, rebuffed by NOP for AD, whoever is making the decisions this summer is getting thrown into the fire.

The Lakers have made their choice. We’re fans, we can have whatever opinion we want as our opinions are of no significance to the actual running of the team. So we’ll see what happens.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#350 » by myersia » Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Bam even Monty was impressed by the lakers. All this drama is magic and media drama. This is what we need to sell. https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-suns-coach-monty-williams-praises-jeanie-buss/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#351 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 am

Such a huge offseason with amazingly high ceiling possibilities whether you be of the opinion that we should sign one max and build around our young core or try to build the super team losing all or almost all of our young dudes for AD or out of nowhere star who gets pimped. Despite the crazy somewhat downer of media reports, according to various reports we appear to be heading into this offseason still in it possibly strongly (kawhi,kyrie,Jimmy) or at least remotely (kd,klay) for any of the top five (kemba: no reports besides opinion articles stating that we should consider, but we seem to more focused elsewhere all together at least atm).

As long as we don’t comically botch this as a FO, we should be improved with lebron’s recruiting hopefully being strong, some combo of progress from youth, addition of all star thru trade, FA mega signing, or piecing it together correctly with great mix of smaller contract FA signings.

Worst case scenario Lebron came here to coast comfortably in a huge market with shorter commute to space jam (really? Someone reaching for GOAT punting his remainder of his who knows how long yet still top of league prime? Questionable) or my somewhat optimistic spin of he’s had a second difference maker star in his back pocket the whole time.

Pros for
-Lebron knew coming in he’d need help. Putting his faith in our ability to develop Ball and Ingram into at least strong #3s, or pull off a pau like steal trade doesn’t seem very historically forward thinking lebron-like(bailed on heat as they aged before they completely bombed, bailed on Cavs after love plateaued and the kyrie trade sucked)
My strongest evidence since I can’t see the guy forfeiting finals appearances for convenience of making movies and the negligible marketing increase.(not negligible if he brings us titles, which aligns with coming here to win cuz he’d jump tiers to lakers fans if that happens) Also guy doesn’t appear to have delusional confidence of his abilities to be godly enough to carry a Lakers roster as is to contention, as he’s always made forward championship thinking moves in FA (mega team up with his top EC player ranking rival and above average all star in bosh / follows up with the “going home” rationalization which conventiently coincides with wade starting to show the age drop off and the Cavs offering the unique opportunity to play with top young Point guard potential in Kyrie plus ammo to turn recent insanse lottery luck acquired players into another complementary player in Love)

-Kawhi clearly stated us thru Haynes who seems reputable on certain areas when he’s got info. I assume many players already had an idea lebron was likely laker bound, so not sure how the rumors he changed to preferring clippers really hold water(seemed like classic biased woj reporting as opposed to in the know woj reporting) (if he broke that now preferring clippers heresy and yes I know multiple people have reported, but usually it takes one leader with a report and others latch on and repeat like they heard it too)

-Despite the speed bumps over the last year and a half, we are still right on our consistently stated track of lebron then 1 star(which magic stuck to, staying consistently before we even hit FA last year, and mirrored by at the time questionable to bad one year deals, meaning he meant lebron last year and waiting til this year for another, which leads me to my next pt)

-My conspiracy theory, contradicting media reports, that PG brushing us off as hard as he did is due to us passing and not him falling for Westbrook’s bff game night hangouts and lovely hometown feel of OKC vs spotlight big market media target LA. My defense of 0 reports siding with that is of course PG would only publicly say it was pro OKC and not anything Lakers did. (I mean he didn’t even want to bother meeting with his, up until a year prior, dream team. I feel like the factors stated and accepted for him not coming is one thing but to completely not consider us, eh I’d think he’d let us take him to the dance even if he wasn’t gonna put out)

- My possibly unwarranted, sample size generated, self confidence in comprehending which reports have meat. I tea-leaved lebron coming here after that house vandalizing and him reporting his move at the end of the Cavs season was gonna be about “family” which meant he’d want to be closer to his family with crazy **** like home invasion hitting hard, so I’m feeling confident in my interpretations.

Tl;dr I really want Kawhi more than any FA in my fandom and am finding optimistic pieces to put that possibility into a place I can realistically latch onto.
Also I clearly put too much thought and words into a player a little over one month from now we may not even be remotely tied to. Dammit basketball and the irrational amount of thought I give it. I blame Kobe for pulling me in to this too deep.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#352 » by wco81 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Would the Lakers fire Pelinka before the season or keep him at least through the season because they can't appear disorganized?

Maybe minimize his role when pitching to FAs because his credibility now is very low.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers