ImageImageImageImage

Listen Everyone... draft GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT/SCORE

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,635

Listen Everyone... draft GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT/SCORE 

Post#1 » by thelead » Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 pm

How many bigs do we need?

It's time, and has been time, to start taking chances on guards that can shoot. I would start with Keldon Johnson.

Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Re: Listen Everyone... draft GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT/SCORE 

Post#2 » by Bakomagic » Mon May 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Thanks for adding the score part !

There’s been a weird trend around here saying we don’t have shooters. We have plenty of guys who can shoot we just lack players that can get their shot when the defense tightens up.

We definitely need a guy who can flat out score which means shoot get to the basket and finish, and get to the free throw line often. Not sure if Keldon is not another Fournier/Ross type who will get locked up by a good defender who takes away space to shoot.

Honestly if Fultz can just blow past guys and finish it’s going to help a lot even if his shot remains erratic next year. DJ would get to the rim often enough but his small stature wouldn’t always allow him to finish and or make the easy dump off or lob. And I hated when he resorted to embarrassing flopping to try and get to the line.
thelead
RealGM

Post#3 » by thelead » Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Bakomagic wrote:Thanks for adding the score part !

There’s been a weird trend around here saying we don’t have shooters. We have plenty of guys who can shoot we just lack players that can get their shot when the defense tightens up.

We definitely need a guy who can flat out score which means shoot get to the basket and finish, and get to the free throw line often. Not sure if Keldon is not another Fournier/Ross type who will get locked up by a good defender who takes away space to shoot.

Honestly if Fultz can just blow past guys and finish it’s going to help a lot even if his shot remains erratic next year. DJ would get to the rim often enough but his small stature wouldn’t always allow him to finish and or make the easy dump off or lob. And I hated when he resorted to embarrassing flopping to try and get to the line.

The pickings are slim on finding a great scorer in the mid first round but I would bet on his shooting percentages and Kentucky’s ability to pump out quality players.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by Bakomagic » Tue May 21, 2019 1:33 am

thelead wrote:

The pickings are slim on finding a great scorer in the mid first round but I would bet on his shooting percentages and Kentucky’s ability to pump out quality players.

That’s a good point, I didn’t think much of Booker or Jamal Murray during their stunts at Kentucky and they’d both be exactly what we need right now.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by Bakomagic » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 am

thelead wrote:How many bigs do we need?

It's time, and has been time, to start taking chances on guards that can shoot. I would start with Keldon Johnson.

After watching those highlights I see a little Brad Beal in his game.
thelead
RealGM

Post#6 » by thelead » Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 am

Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:

That’s a good point, I didn’t think much of Booker or Jamal Murray during their stunts at Kentucky and they’d both be exactly what we need right now.

Booker and Murray are exactly what I'm talking about :thumbsup:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#7 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 am

The enfatuation with trying to replace Vooch due to personal bias blinds people to this very basic principle. We need scorers/shooters at the wing position.

Keldon Johnson is my guy too. I don't think hell be there though.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#8 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2019 5:00 am

Honestly, I'm hoping Carsen Edwards somehow ends up in a Magic uniform. Don't view him as a starter, but as a guy coming off the bench, he's perfect running the second unit. As long as we're adding key pieces to the roster that can stay for a long time, I'm down with them. He's probably going to be less of a bust as a solid bench player than the player we take at 16 and hope he ends up as a starter.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#9 » by Ducklett » Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 am

Yall too funny about drafting at 16 man. We will be lucky to get a player that lasts past his rookie deal at ANY position.

Meanwhile, Portland got smoked like a cheap cigar and we are building a team that looks just like them. Huzzah.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,264

Post#10 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 am

Only fools would draft another big, regardless of Vučević decision.

Where whole league is adding guards and wings who can play with ball and shoot, Magic keep drafting longbois with broken shooting mechanics.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 21, 2019 11:29 am

Ducklett wrote:Yall too funny about drafting at 16 man. We will be lucky to get a player that lasts past his rookie deal at ANY position.

Meanwhile, Portland got smoked like a cheap cigar and we are building a team that looks just like them. Huzzah.

We’re building a team in the East that can make it to the Western conference Finals...Ummm ok..
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 21, 2019 11:31 am

pepe1991 wrote:Only fools would draft another big, regardless of Vučević decision.

Where whole league is adding guards and wings who can play with ball and shoot, Magic keep drafting longbois with broken shooting mechanics.

46 is a low risk pick and sometimes you’ve got to swing for the fences.
#2A
#Adopt
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,264

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Yall too funny about drafting at 16 man. We will be lucky to get a player that lasts past his rookie deal at ANY position.

We’re building a team in the East that can make it to the Western conference Finals...Ummm ok..

:lol: :lol:

But what all teams have in common?
Superstars.

What Magic don't have ? Superstar.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 pm

isnt a knock on him that he isnt a good shooter? and not even top-100 in NCAA last year in 3 pt %.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 pm

thelead wrote:

you want a scorer, Carson Edwards. led the Big10 in scoring. would love him off the bench. And he does have stat that WeHam like, 6'1 with 6'6 wingspan
thelead
RealGM

Post#16 » by thelead » Tue May 21, 2019 2:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:

isnt a knock on him that he isnt a good shooter? and not even top-100 in NCAA last year in 3 pt %.

He shot 46/38/70

Not great but far from bad. His scoring ability makes up for the lack of elite shooting.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#17 » by Def Swami » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Johnson is on my list of guys I'm interested in that include NAW, Langford, Porter Jr., Herro, and even Little to some extent. I agree, at #16, the Magic need to add a wing that can dribble, pass, and shoot.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Tue May 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:

Jamal Murray had a stellar freshman season at Kentucky and led Canada to a Silver Medal at the Pan-American Games averaging 16 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg on 45% shooting at age 18!

He averaged 20 ppg, 5 rpg, and 2 apg on 45/41/78 splits as a freshman at UK. He was always a killer scorer. I was shocked to see him drop to #7. I really wanted the Magic to try and move up to draft him.

I'm right there with thelead. I've personally been obsessed with drafting scoring guards since 2013. From CJ McCollum in 2013, Lavine in 2014 with the #12, D'Angelo Russell in 2015, Murray in 2016, Dennis Smith in 2017, and Trae Young last year. The league has changed over this time span and given the guards so much more freedom of movement. And being able to hit a 3 off the dribble is one of the most lethal weapons in the league. This year, I think Coby White (and Darius Garland, I think) is going to have some success in the league.

It's pretty slim picking at #16, but the thought process should be similar.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#19 » by tiderulz » Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:

Jamal Murray had a stellar freshman season at Kentucky and led Canada to a Silver Medal at the Pan-American Games averaging 16 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg on 45% shooting at age 18!

He averaged 20 ppg, 5 rpg, and 2 apg on 45/41/78 splits as a freshman at UK. He was always a killer scorer. I was shocked to see him drop to #7. I really wanted the Magic to try and move up to draft him.

I'm right there with thelead. I've personally been obsessed with drafting scoring guards since 2013. From CJ McCollum in 2013, Lavine in 2014 with the #12, D'Angelo Russell in 2015, Murray in 2016, Dennis Smith in 2017, and Trae Young last year. The league has changed over this time span and given the guards so much more freedom of movement. And being able to hit a 3 off the dribble is one of the most lethal weapons in the league. This year, I think Coby White (and Darius Garland, I think) is going to have some success in the league.

It's pretty slim picking at #16, but the thought process should be similar.

I didnt watch a lot of Coby White, but when i did, he seemed to not be a great shooter and turned the ball over every other time he touched it. granted, i only saw about 7 games of UNC. But handles and decisions just seemed really bad
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by Bakomagic » Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm

tiderulz wrote:
thelead wrote:

you want a scorer, Carson Edwards. led the Big10 in scoring. would love him off the bench. And he does have stat that WeHam like, 6'1 with 6'6 wingspan

Just read that he is also around 200 lbs that’s a lot of length and strength for a guy who is 6 ft tall. He seems to be pretty athletic and he has a quick release on his jump shot. Doesn’t seem like much of a passer but may be a great scoring spark plug off the bench.

Would be great to get him in the second round. Would be cost effective if we can replace the production of DJ and Tross this draft with Guys like Edwards and K.Johnson we’d be paying a lot less than the 17 million we paid for Ross and DJ.

Return to Orlando Magic