ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday

Given no other choice, which would you prefer?

Magic still be in charge with Rob gone
11
25%
Rob be in charge with Magic gone
33
75%
 
Total votes: 44

Jedi32
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,375
And1: 4,180
Joined: Oct 30, 2014
Location: Showtime Era
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#121 » by Jedi32 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 pm

It's funny seeing people try to pin the mess that is the current lakers on magic. This organization has been ran like trash every since Dr Buss died. Magic did them a favor by coming aboard. No magic probably no LeBron. Hell before magic got here we were getting dismissed by the likes of lamarcus Aldridge. Now all of a sudden everyone has all this faith in Rob and Jeannie. Gimme a break. Can't wait to see who gets the blame now that magic is gone.
jmak
Ballboy
Posts: 7
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 09, 2008

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#122 » by jmak » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

1. I have lost all respect for Magic. He IS trying to undermine the Lakers. He felt maybe Rob gets a FA like Kyrie so let me go on First Take and knife the Lakers some more so nobody comes here under Rob. Magic said he's all about Magic. Looking out for Magic. So he even admits he doesn't care about the Lakers. How about saying I look out for the Lakers first and then me?

2. When Magic was part of the group that bought the Dodgers. He said he was all about championships. Moving into his office at Dodger stadium and going to come in everyday until the Dodgers win a ring. Before the end of that same season, he was rarely seen at Dodger stadium.

3. When he got the Lakers job. I heard him say he is ALL IN. He has put in businesses in good hands and is completely focused on the Lakers. Where did this in and out nonsense come from. He never said that until Rob called him out.

4. Saying "where's Magic" because you are not around or telling other NBA's teams Magic isn't here is not a reason to resign. Perhaps Rob was buying time on trade options or Magic truly wasn't there. It doesn't matter. It's definitely NOT backstabbing.

5. The numerous players he traded away or let walk was dumb. If they would have signed Julius to 2 years at 8Million each. He would have been tradeable.

6. The reason we couldn't get Jerry West back before he signed with the Clippers when he wanted to come back to the Lakers is probably Magic. I bet you Magic didn't want West because he wanted the credit and knew if he did anything good West would get the credit. Again all about Magic, not what's best for the Lakers.

7. Good riddance Magic. We are better off without you! We are probably better off without Magic and Rob but getting Magic out is better than nothing.
Ball so hard
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 320
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#123 » by Ball so hard » Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Jedi32 wrote:It's funny seeing people try to pin the mess that is the current lakers on magic. This organization has been ran like trash every since Dr Buss died. Magic did them a favor by coming aboard. No magic probably no LeBron. Hell before magic got here we were getting dismissed by the likes of lamarcus Aldridge. Now all of a sudden everyone has all this faith in Rob and Jeannie. Gimme a break. Can't wait to see who gets the blame now that magic is gone.


You clearly don't get it.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,230
And1: 683
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#124 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm

jmak wrote:1. I have lost all respect for Magic. He IS trying to undermine the Lakers. He felt maybe Rob gets a FA like Kyrie so let me go on First Take and knife the Lakers some more so nobody comes here under Rob. Magic said he's all about Magic. Looking out for Magic. So he even admits he doesn't care about the Lakers. How about saying I look out for the Lakers first and then me?

2. When Magic was part of the group that bought the Dodgers. He said he was all about championships. Moving into his office at Dodger stadium and going to come in everyday until the Dodgers win a ring. Before the end of that same season, he was rarely seen at Dodger stadium.

3. When he got the Lakers job. I heard him say he is ALL IN. He has put in businesses in good hands and is completely focused on the Lakers. Where did this in and out nonsense come from. He never said that until Rob called him out.

4. Saying "where's Magic" because you are not around or telling other NBA's teams Magic isn't here is not a reason to resign. Perhaps Rob was buying time on trade options or Magic truly wasn't there. It doesn't matter. It's definitely NOT backstabbing.

5. The numerous players he traded away or let walk was dumb. If they would have signed Julius to 2 years at 8Million each. He would have been tradeable.

6. The reason we couldn't get Jerry West back before he signed with the Clippers when he wanted to come back to the Lakers is probably Magic. I bet you Magic didn't want West because he wanted the credit and knew if he did anything good West would get the credit. Again all about Magic, not what's best for the Lakers.

7. Good riddance Magic. We are better off without you! We are probably better off without Magic and Rob but getting Magic out is better than nothing.


Yup. Pretty much


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 11,319
And1: 10,102
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#125 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Kilroy wrote:What jumps out today after thinking about all this... This seems to all have come to a head with the Fire Luke thing...

Magic says he presented his case to Jeanie... "This is what Luke did good. This is what he didn't."

Honestly, nothing he said seemed more like BS than that to me... Magic doesn't sit down and explain anything... He's not a pro/con kind of guy.... He's a "Hey, let's do this!" guy and if you don't immediately agree, there's something wrong with you...

I think Jeanie brought in Tim Harris precisely because Magic did NOT present a decent case for firing Luke... He just wanted to fire him... Period.
I'm not even sure any of the discussion about LeBron not liking Luke was even true... That might all have been spin from Magic...

Anyway, it's all moot now, but at the same time, that really jumped out at me as an obvious point Magic was BSing, and playing to Smiths agendas for popular support...

With all the contradictions and obvious untruths in his statements since all this happened, you seriously have to wonder what his endgame is?


Magic was undermining Lakers before he got the job. He's made terrible moves during the job. He's undermining Lakers again now he's left the job.

The endgame is either to force the sale of the Lakers to himself as you already stated.

Or there is no end game and he's just a fool who thought he could do better than the fools running the Lakers only to find out that he did a worse job and decided to vacate the premises before it crumbled and is now trying to deflect blame.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 16,505
And1: 3,014
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#126 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,466
And1: 7,164
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#127 » by Kilroy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:04 pm

iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,660
And1: 10,482
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#128 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 pm

So everyone seems to be reporting that Jeanie previously asked Magic if he had any issues with Rob (after Magic tweeted “the truth will come out”)and Magic said nothing. Ramona is reporting that Rob and Magic has an hour long convo after they got the 4th pick to discuss plans for the pick.
Magic is a pretty damn sleazy.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,230
And1: 683
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#129 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.


Let’s not give them too much credit though. Mitch was on the decline and honestly still hasn’t done much with hornets. I wish we would had promoted Mitch to pobo and gotten a younger gm. Mitch was stuck in the past and couldn’t adapt. Jim may have been better than Jeanie but like you said not by much if any.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 16,505
And1: 3,014
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#130 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 pm

dockingsched wrote:So everyone seems to be reporting that Jeanie previously asked Magic if he had any issues with Rob, and Magic said nothing. Ramona is reporting that Rob and Magic has an hour long convo after they got the 4th pick to discuss why they could do.

Magic is a pretty damn sleazy.


I've starting to lean away from Ramona and her reporting. I'll just say it's been weird. I started feeling this way about a year ago.
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 16,505
And1: 3,014
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#131 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.


Yeah in hindsite Mitch should have probably gotten the opportunity to run the show by himself. Magic should have been a paid consultant to help bring in free agents because seemingly Mitch and Jim couldn't close the deal on free agents. But again, Jeannie was calling the shots.
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,660
And1: 10,482
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#132 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.

I wasn’t in the fire Mitch/Jim movement until after the Mozgov/Deng deals blew up. Before that I felt they didn’t get enough credit, with people forgetting Jim was in his position since 2005. At the time they got fired I understood why, but still didn’t feel like they got a fair shake. Strongly felt that Magic’s nonstop criticism and Jeanie’s insistence of holding Jim to that stupid “win by this year” deadline undermined the franchise and contributed to those stupid Moz/Deng deals.

Looking back I probably should’ve been on the fire Jim/Mitch bandwagon a lot sooner. Despite the numerous top picks and cap space they were able to get, it was mostly out of pure luck with them no really deserving credit. They didn’t intentionally tank each year, they signed Veterans that they thought would make the playoffs. They didn’t hold on to their cap judiciously, they simply couldn’t get anyone to sign. I should’ve focused more on the process to be honest.

Ultimately though I feel correct in that I always viewed Magic and Jeanie as part of the problem, and not part of the solution.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 16,505
And1: 3,014
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#133 » by iamworthy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.

I wasn’t in the fire Mitch/Jim movement until after the Mozgov/Deng deals blew up. Before that I felt they didn’t get enough credit, with people forgetting Jim was in his position since 2005. At the time they got fired I understood why, but still didn’t feel like they got a fair shake. Strongly felt that Magic’s nonstop criticism and Jeanie’s insistence of holding Jim to that stupid “win by this year” deadline undermined the franchise and contributed to those stupid Moz/Deng deals.

Looking back I probably should’ve been on the fire Jim/Mitch bandwagon a lot sooner. Despite the numerous top picks and cap space they were able to get, it was mostly out of pure luck with them no really deserving credit. They didn’t intentionally tank each year, they signed Veterans that they thought would make the playoffs. They didn’t hold on to their cap judiciously, they simply couldn’t get anyone to sign. I should’ve focused more on the process to be honest.

Ultimately though I feel correct in that I always viewed Magic and Jeanie as part of the problem, and not part of the solution.


I totally understand your magic take, but let me ask you this, if magic wasn't here do we get LeBron? I know some people don't want LeBron here but I don't think you are one of them. Also, does magic get any credit for clearing the books and setting the Lakers up this summer? I'm just curious where you stand on him actually doing the job and not this circus show.
User avatar
myersia
Analyst
Posts: 3,230
And1: 683
Joined: Feb 08, 2011
     

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#134 » by myersia » Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 pm

iamworthy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.

I wasn’t in the fire Mitch/Jim movement until after the Mozgov/Deng deals blew up. Before that I felt they didn’t get enough credit, with people forgetting Jim was in his position since 2005. At the time they got fired I understood why, but still didn’t feel like they got a fair shake. Strongly felt that Magic’s nonstop criticism and Jeanie’s insistence of holding Jim to that stupid “win by this year” deadline undermined the franchise and contributed to those stupid Moz/Deng deals.

Looking back I probably should’ve been on the fire Jim/Mitch bandwagon a lot sooner. Despite the numerous top picks and cap space they were able to get, it was mostly out of pure luck with them no really deserving credit. They didn’t intentionally tank each year, they signed Veterans that they thought would make the playoffs. They didn’t hold on to their cap judiciously, they simply couldn’t get anyone to sign. I should’ve focused more on the process to be honest.

Ultimately though I feel correct in that I always viewed Magic and Jeanie as part of the problem, and not part of the solution.


I totally understand your magic take, but let me ask you this, if magic wasn't here do we get LeBron? I know some people don't want LeBron here but I don't think you are one of them. Also, does magic get any credit for clearing the books and setting the Lakers up this summer? I'm just curious where you stand on him actually doing the job and not this circus show.


I actually think the only credit magic should get is Lebron. He got Lebron here. I think the cap is actually pelinka to be honest. He’s not stupid. Doc is spot on about Jim and Mitch previously.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,200
And1: 4,317
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#135 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.


Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.



Oh I'm still a huge Mitch fan. I could live with his errors and look how many home runs he hit.

Errors that stick with me:
Let Vlade and trade exception walk without moving the expiring and exception for anything.
Was made by ownership to sign broken Kobe to a stupid contract
Was made by ownership to sign MozDeng for stupid contracts

Mitch the man moments
Traded for Pau
Actually got decent return on Shaq
Refused to trade Kobe
Kicked Kobe out of his office for telling him to trade Bynum
Did trade Bynum on his last leg for Howard (meh but still)
Had like 3 looks that would have people checking their brake lines to make sure they weren't cut

Image


ahhhh yep, Mitch was great and the Buss family seems to have been the issue.
Image
User avatar
ScHoolBoy B
General Manager
Posts: 7,971
And1: 1,546
Joined: Aug 06, 2010
Location: SF
         

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#136 » by ScHoolBoy B » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm

I mean regardless LeBron was looking into a California team anyway. LeBron did state that this contract is about his family’s well-being. So I mean does Magic get some credit? Sure, but he isn’t the entire reason why LeBron came to LA.
Image
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,660
And1: 10,482
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#137 » by dockingsched » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pm

iamworthy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Me and Doc, and that's pretty much it from what I remember... I think what happened to Mitch was a travesty. That man deserved a promotion more than firing.

Jim is a different story... I think Jim gets far too little credit for what he did for decades before his dad died. That said, if he had been fired and replaced by someone competent like West or Phil or whatever, that would have been fine with me, as long as Mitch stayed...
I think Jim is infinitely better at understanding and running the BBall side of things than Jeanie, but he still wouldn't have been my first choice in this market.

I wasn’t in the fire Mitch/Jim movement until after the Mozgov/Deng deals blew up. Before that I felt they didn’t get enough credit, with people forgetting Jim was in his position since 2005. At the time they got fired I understood why, but still didn’t feel like they got a fair shake. Strongly felt that Magic’s nonstop criticism and Jeanie’s insistence of holding Jim to that stupid “win by this year” deadline undermined the franchise and contributed to those stupid Moz/Deng deals.

Looking back I probably should’ve been on the fire Jim/Mitch bandwagon a lot sooner. Despite the numerous top picks and cap space they were able to get, it was mostly out of pure luck with them no really deserving credit. They didn’t intentionally tank each year, they signed Veterans that they thought would make the playoffs. They didn’t hold on to their cap judiciously, they simply couldn’t get anyone to sign. I should’ve focused more on the process to be honest.

Ultimately though I feel correct in that I always viewed Magic and Jeanie as part of the problem, and not part of the solution.


I totally understand your magic take, but let me ask you this, if magic wasn't here do we get LeBron? I know some people don't want LeBron here but I don't think you are one of them. Also, does magic get any credit for clearing the books and setting the Lakers up this summer? I'm just curious where you stand on him actually doing the job and not this circus show.


I believe LeBron intended to sign with the Lakers and probably would’ve signed as long as anyone other than Jim was leading the front office.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 10,624
And1: 1,223
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#138 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 pm

iamworthy wrote:Are people missing Mitch and Jim now? I can't remember who they are but a few people in this board were never in the fire Mitch and Jim category....i can't remember who though. It might have been Doc.

Well...i will definitely give you that one. Magic assisted greatly in the firing of Mitch and Jim. No way am i totally siding with magic and his BS resignation and blabbering in the media. But yes, we also needed to get out from under jimmy and his awful contracts and crap running of our team. But thats the only assist im giving magic. Props to you iamworthy, for noticing that one.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
User avatar
footworkonpoint
Freshman
Posts: 68
And1: 13
Joined: Oct 04, 2017
       

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#139 » by footworkonpoint » Wed May 22, 2019 12:15 am

I always knew Magic was me first but honestly what he did was a new low. Do you guys think he will lose a lot of his laker fans/support? There is a huge difference between being a bad execute and having bad hot takes on what how the Lakers are being run (which is the worst you could say about him before he became GM) vs maliciously airing out all the franchises dirty laundry and causing the Lakers harm on purpose. I don't see how you can be a true Laker fan and not feel completely betrayed by him to the point where I don't even want to support anything he is involved with anymore.

Sent from my SM-N920T using RealGM mobile app
Landsberger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,314
And1: 1,298
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#140 » by Landsberger » Wed May 22, 2019 2:19 am

I have a firewall between the Magic I saw as a player in the mid to late 80's and the "former Laker" Magic. I feared this level of blowout was coming based on his actions in the 90's when he last was part of the organization. This credibility mess we're in is largely his doing IMHO. He started off by putting the weight of the world on an 18 year old kid. Meddled constantly then when it looked like he was going to have to deal with the possibility that the superstars weren't lining up to bow to him he got his feelings hurt and quit and in true "I'm bigger than the franchise" fashion he didn't bother to tell the owner why initially.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers