ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Creole_Ce1tic
Sophomore
And1: 64

Re: Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#1281 » by Creole_Ce1tic » Tue May 21, 2019 4:09 pm

The cancer in the locker room is Gordon Hayward. His contract eats up the cap space and nobody cares about him having "flashes" of good games. It's what have you done for me lately. Dude was atrocious this season. If you want to defend him because of the injury then you should agree that he should have never been put back in the line up so soon. Brad playing favoritism is a cancer in itself IN ANY LOCKEROOM.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1282 » by Edug27 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Creole_Ce1tic wrote:The cancer in the locker room is Gordon Hayward. His contract eats up the cap space and nobody cares about him having "flashes" of good games. It's what have you done for me lately. Dude was atrocious this season. If you want to defend him because of the injury then you should agree that he should have never been put back in the line up so soon. Brad playing favoritism is a cancer in itself IN ANY LOCKEROOM.

Eh. The players who had the biggest issue with Gordon were most likely Rozier and Jaylen. Rozier mentioned how it affected him with Gordon having the ball in his hands so much. And Jaylen for obvious reasons. Both can kick rocks. Gordon will be fine.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,060

Post#1283 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote:The cancer in the locker room is Gordon Hayward. His contract eats up the cap space and nobody cares about him having "flashes" of good games. It's what have you done for me lately. Dude was atrocious this season. If you want to defend him because of the injury then you should agree that he should have never been put back in the line up so soon. Brad playing favoritism is a cancer in itself IN ANY LOCKEROOM.

Eh. The players who had the biggest issue with Gordon were most likely Rozier and Jaylen. Rozier mentioned how it affected him with Gordon having the ball in his hands so much. And Jaylen for obvious reasons. Both can kick rocks. Gordon will be fine.

Jaylen made it work and was the 2nd best player on the team during the playoffs. He found success in his role and did what we needed in order to win.
I hate using the word cancer in a sports talk, but if there was a playet who deserves that label it was always Rozier.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#1284 » by OBisHalJordan » Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Jaylen made it work and was the 2nd best player on the team during the playoffs. He found success in his role and did what we needed in order to win.
I hate using the word cancer in a sports talk, but if there was a playet who deserves that label it was always Rozier.

Without out a doubt. I think Jaylen showed the most growth on the team this year. Tatum may look like the better prospect but I think Jaylen has the most heart and will end up the better player. I would trade Tatum before I trade JB
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1285 » by Dannyboy36 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm

I don’t think there’s good reason to think Hayward won’t be close to all star level again. We’re talking a vastly superior wing to anybody else on the team. I really think he’ll be back in form. But it was wrong of Stevens in my opinion. Earning minutes didn’t matter all of a sudden when it was his boy.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1286 » by Dannyboy36 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:28 pm

UNCBlue012 wrote:I wouldn't move Hayward unless there's an incredible opportunity coming from it. I really think Gordon is going to be really good next year. We saw flashes this year, particularly towards the end, but he's a great fit in Brad's system. Just my opinion, but he's going nowhere.

Agreed. I’m definitely on the Gordon bandwagon.
Creole_Ce1tic
Sophomore

Post#1287 » by Creole_Ce1tic » Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:

We’re talking a vastly superior wing to anybody else on the team. I really think he’ll be back in form.

Vastly Superior? He's a one-time Allstar who is VASTLY over-paid and he benefitted financially from a relationship with his college coach.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#1288 » by djFan71 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:

We’re talking a vastly superior wing to anybody else on the team. I really think he’ll be back in form.

Vastly Superior? He's a one-time Allstar who is VASTLY over-paid and he benefitted financially from a relationship with his college coach.

The Heat and Jazz wanted to max him as well. He didn't get maxed due to Stevens. He got maxed BY BOS due to Stevens.
Creole_Ce1tic
Sophomore

Post#1289 » by Creole_Ce1tic » Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:

The Heat and Jazz wanted to max him as well. He didn't get maxed due to Stevens. He got maxed BY BOS due to Stevens.

The point being.... He is not VASTLY superior and his resume does not warrant a max contract PERIOD. Let me rephrase, he benefitted financially IN BOSTON from his relationship with his college coach. He is not a max player by talent and not very smart. The Miami offer would have kept more money in his pocket. (No state taxes)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1290 » by djFan71 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote: Vastly Superior? He's a one-time Allstar who is VASTLY over-paid and he benefitted financially from a relationship with his college coach.

The point being.... He is not VASTLY superior and his resume does not warrant a max contract PERIOD. Let me rephrase, he benefitted financially IN BOSTON from his relationship with his college coach. He is not a max player by talent and not very smart. The Miami offer would have kept more money in his pocket. (No state taxes)

Are you talking pre or post injury? I mean, sure he's not worth his contract now. And, honestly, I had reservations about maxing him since he's not one of those special guys who are worth way more than the max. I actually was trying to propose Milsap instead, iirc. But, in a league where 3 guys per team can get maxed, he was definitely in the top 50 players, so technically max-worthy.

I agree with you on the "vastly" part. He's not superior to Jaylen/Tatum currently, nor "vastly" superior at his peak. But his feel for the game exceeds theirs. If he recovers physically, (big if) he can potentially be better. I still like him off the bench playing that Manu role in most non-AD\Kyrie scenarios, though.
Creole_Ce1tic
Sophomore

Post#1291 » by Creole_Ce1tic » Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
djFan71 wrote:The Heat and Jazz wanted to max him as well. He didn't get maxed due to Stevens. He got maxed BY BOS due to Stevens.

Are you talking pre or post injury? I mean, sure he's not worth his contract now. And, honestly, I had reservations about maxing him since he's not one of those special guys who are worth way more than the max. I actually was trying to propose Milsap instead, iirc. But, in a league where 3 guys per team can get maxed, he was definitely in the top 50 players, so technically max-worthy.

I agree with you on the "vastly" part. He's not superior to Jaylen/Tatum currently, nor "vastly" superior at his peak. But his feel for the game exceeds theirs. If he recovers physically, (big if) he can potentially be better. I still like him off the bench playing that Manu role in most non-AD\Kyrie scenarios, though.

I was talking pre injury but to your point about the 3 maxed guys per team, if it's offered, take it. There are several players in the league who don't deserve maxed contracts and teams are regretting it every season. I don't care how beloved some players are, if they are getting paid and not producing no matter the reason, they deserve the criticism. Fans have short memories.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1292 » by djFan71 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote:The point being.... He is not VASTLY superior and his resume does not warrant a max contract PERIOD. Let me rephrase, he benefitted financially IN BOSTON from his relationship with his college coach. He is not a max player by talent and not very smart. The Miami offer would have kept more money in his pocket. (No state taxes)

I was talking pre injury but to your point about the 3 maxed guys per team, if it's offered, take it. There are several players in the league who don't deserve maxed contracts and teams are regretting it every season. I don't care how beloved some players are, if they are getting paid and not producing no matter the reason, they deserve the criticism. Fans have short memories.

Agreed. I was super-leery of having our 3 maxes being Al, Hayward and IT. Luckily the last one didn't happen. Hopefully, Hayward returns to form enough to just be slightly overpaid. Al has been worth it, imo.
Creole_Ce1tic
Sophomore

Post#1293 » by Creole_Ce1tic » Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Creole_Ce1tic wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Are you talking pre or post injury? I mean, sure he's not worth his contract now. And, honestly, I had reservations about maxing him since he's not one of those special guys who are worth way more than the max. I actually was trying to propose Milsap instead, iirc. But, in a league where 3 guys per team can get maxed, he was definitely in the top 50 players, so technically max-worthy.

Agreed. I was super-leery of having our 3 maxes being Al, Hayward and IT. Luckily the last one didn't happen. Hopefully, Hayward returns to form enough to just be slightly overpaid. Al has been worth it, imo.

Yes, Al has earned his contract. As for IT, he is just one of those beloved players, but no GM in the history of the nba would have given IT a max contract because of his size and rightfully so.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#1294 » by soxfan2003 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Honestly in Ainge's shoes I would have had reservations about maxing Horford, Hayward and Irving now. It really take a Paul Pierce or above caliber player in his shoes to be more concerned about losing the player via FA than signing him and having him get hurt/play decline.

The two FA signings and Irving trade with the Cavs I could rally behind since the alternative options were not super appealing at the time and what he was doing with some other moves did have championship possibilities but none of them I was as happy as the initial KG trade or even Paul Pierce draft selection. Horford during post season at least has exceeded my expectations but the Celtics obviously don't have that Lebron/Curry/Giannis type of superstar that is a bargain at the max. Much easier to win with that.

But there are only so many superstars in the NBA and when you don't have one of them, the question becomes do you settle for 3rd tier players hoping that it will put you one big trade away from having a chance to win it all.

Ainge obviously know KD >> healthy Hayward and Curry >> Irving and some other bigs are better than Horford but he had to decide whether to spend the money or try to keep it in reserve and roll it over.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1295 » by truth18 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Gordon blows. His situation is nothing like Horford's. At least Horford can jump higher than me. Enjoy being wrong next year.

JK no one is going to enjoy anything with him taking up the money he has.
YOU LOSE
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#1296 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Next season (with a full, uninterrupted off season), I fully expect that Hayward is going to consistently play like the Utah Hayward we saw in the second half of the season. And he is going to help the Celtics win games. And I will enjoy every minute of it.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,360

Post#1297 » by reload141 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 am

Think some will be really surprised with Hayward next season, but that's just me.
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#1298 » by ThirtyFour » Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 am

reload141 wrote:Think some will be really surprised with Hayward next season, but that's just me.

In a good way?
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#1299 » by Jaqua92 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 am

robdog_5 wrote:Hayward was like the 6th option with no defined role. That take is awful. Also the dude had another surgery in the summer that limited his offseason. In 2 years from Tatum and 3 years from Brown we never saw a performance that Hayward had multiple times this year.
This. A 75% Hayward had games bigger than anything the two of them have done

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,360

Post#1300 » by reload141 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 am

ThirtyFour wrote:
reload141 wrote:Think some will be really surprised with Hayward next season, but that's just me.

In a good way?

Yep. I believe in him and I think once we sort out the offseason we will be a much better team for it.

Return to Boston Celtics