Can NBA Officiating Be Improved?

Grampie
Ballboy
And1: 0

Can NBA Officiating Be Improved? 

Post#1 » by Grampie » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

The percentage volume of non-calls / wrong calls by NBA Officials, is quite poor compared to most other professional sports. In every sport, a ref will make a wrong call on occasion, and the media typically jumps all over it. But the frequency of this stuff in the NBA seems to have everyone immune to it. We screech when our team is victimized, and then move on.

Can it be fixed? Can it at least be improved? I'm new here to the Forums, but would like to suggest a couple of changes to the way the NBA is officiated:

1) Four refs
Two focus solely on possession related calls, and the other two focus on fouls. A "possession ref" can only make a call on a flagrant foul, if the "foul refs" miss it. (similar to NHL)

2) Challenge flags
Coaches are given two or three challenge flags, to request a review of bad call or non-call. If the coach wins the challenge, the officials roceed accordingly. If the coach loses the challenge, he forfeits a full time out. (similar to NFL)

Something's got to change, 'cuz the officials are having far to large an impact on game outcomes. Not a huge deal in the regular season, but vital in the playoffs.

For further discussion ...
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Re: Can NBA Officiating Be Improved? 

Post#2 » by Blazers-1977 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 am

I would have the review system be like this :

If you succeed the amount of reviews dont go down, if you fail it goes down and you lose a Timeout
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#3 » by Morse Code » Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 am

I like it. I like it a lot.
Morse Code
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Morse Code » Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 am

I like it. I like it a lot.
Morse Code
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Morse Code » Wed May 22, 2019 1:49 am

I like it. I like it a lot. Officials should not be permitted to control and alter games based purely on discretion. There's too much at stake for the to not at least make an effort to limit human error.

Return to CBA & Business