Total votes: 19

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Let's Make a Deal, 2019 Nets Offseason Edition 

Post#21 » by Prokorov » Sat May 18, 2019 4:37 am

DarkXaero wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Why would anyone pick option #2 over #1?

A fair question.

In scenario 1, you get two 30-something two-way studs, and you keep your other 3 starters. It costs you alot of other youth assets to jettison productive role-players, to free up enough capspace to sign those two. Then, you consider the health of both players. Jimmy has only once played more than 67 games in a season since 2012. KD's latest injury is worse than GSW are admitting; his reaction was that of an Achilles tear. When you think about it, it's kind of like the Celtics trade, through free agency instead. The players are younger, and the price of assets isn't as steep, but in order to get them you have to sign them to 4-year max deals. You have to hope you get the entire contract's worth form the first two years, because the last 2 aren't going to be a bed of roses.

I would LOVE to assemble this starting five, and there are enough reasons to feel wary of the opportunity cost.
Yes but the upside of option #2 isn't much at all. At least with option #1, you're getting a likely contender. Option #2's upside isn't contention.

does rozier even crack the rotation on a team with Dlo, levert and dinwiddie? does lyles play? does looney get more then 15 minutes a night?

option 2 is arguably a downgrade from last season with carroll out
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 am

Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I'll take option number 3:

Don't strip any young assets, add 1 max all-star free agent (one of KAwhi, Tobias, Butler, Kemba, Kyrie)

Door 2 is god awful. massively overpaying role players who dont move the needle at all.

Option 3 wasn't put up because its mostly likely not happening. Outside of Kawhi i'm still scratching my head that you believe the other players will move the needle? Outside of Kawhi we know what we get with Tobias, Butler, Kemba and Kyrie. Nothing past the second round! Max Kemba who can't even get his current team to the playoffs? Max Kyrie who has done nothing but pout and not win anything with out LeBren? That to me is god awful and over paying players who won't move the needle at ALL!

overpaying players who wont move the needle at ill is option 2. you think tobias harris or jimmy butler wont get us out of the second round but a scrub like rozier or lyles will?

c'mon man.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#23 » by Vae Victus » Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 pm

If BRK gets promises from 2 superstar level players who want to team up with DLo and whatever is left on the roster, then yes, trade out Crabbe/Harris/Dimwid for cap space.

Personally i'd go ahead and dump Crabbe before draft and FA.

Crabbe + #27 for protected unlikely to convey SRP

No point keeping him on, can find better deals with his money this offseason as im guessing mid tier players wont get overpaid like offseasons past. Plenty of bargains to be had, and with BRK's solid reputation for building up players, plenty of vets would love to come here for a year or two to fluff up their FA value.

Play the FA game, renounce everyone but DLo, if successful and cap is needed. Trade Harris and Dimwid for protected FRPs or high SRPs for pure cap space. These two guys would be in high demand as they're good and cheap.

There's absolutely no reason to be trading out #17 with Crabbe, or using #27/31 to dump Harris/Dimwid when both are good players that many teams would love to have.

Hell if im the Lakers FO and whiff on FA, while BRK strikes the motherlode, id be first in line to try to snatch up Harris and Dimwiddie. I'd offer a protected 2020 (ideally top 20) FRP + SRP for the two of em. Adding 2 young shooters around Lebron and whoever we draft will be a godsend. Also gives us a good backup or avgish starting PG to play when Lonzo gets hurt.

BRK would then use the draft to replenish their bench, backing up 2 stars + DLo + Allen.

Following season can trade for a 4th star or role players with better fit using the LAL prot FRP, SRP, and 2019 drafted rookies.

Dont be foolish and short sighted and overpaying middling vets is the most important thing to be honest. Lots of teams will be sorely tested this offseason.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#24 » by Aussienet3 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 am

Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I'll take option number 3:

Don't strip any young assets, add 1 max all-star free agent (one of KAwhi, Tobias, Butler, Kemba, Kyrie)

Door 2 is god awful. massively overpaying role players who dont move the needle at all.

Option 3 wasn't put up because its mostly likely not happening. Outside of Kawhi i'm still scratching my head that you believe the other players will move the needle? Outside of Kawhi we know what we get with Tobias, Butler, Kemba and Kyrie. Nothing past the second round! Max Kemba who can't even get his current team to the playoffs? Max Kyrie who has done nothing but pout and not win anything with out LeBren? That to me is god awful and over paying players who won't move the needle at ALL!

overpaying players who wont move the needle at ill is option 2. you think tobias harris or jimmy butler wont get us out of the second round but a scrub like rozier or lyles will?

c'mon man.

I never said those players will. I trust Marks to find the value fit. I trust him implicitly not to get sucked into the Kyries, the Kemba's, or the butlers.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Sun May 19, 2019 1:26 am

Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

c'mon man.

I never said those players will. I trust Marks to find the value fit. I trust him implicitly not to get sucked into the Kyries, the Kemba's, or the butlers.

we have enough value fit. we need high end talent
Aussienet3
Junior

Post#26 » by Aussienet3 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 am

Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

c'mon man.

The players who move 'your' needle are not high end enough IMHO
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#27 » by Prokorov » Sun May 19, 2019 4:31 am

Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

top 15 players arent high end enough?

certainly thats more high end then scrubs like rozier and lyles
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#28 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm

^

I'm not sure ANY of Kyrie, Kemba or Jimmy are top-15 players right now. All-Stars sure, and I believe that they are better fits than for which Aussienet3 is giving them credit. But think about the top 12 players in the NBA:

Antetokounmpo
Harden
Durant
James
Curry
George
Leonard
Embiid
Jokic
Davis
Lillard
Westbrook

After that, it gets a bit subjective. Kyrie and Walker are better talents with bigger roles than Lowry or Paul, but they didn't have a more positive statistical impact on wins than the latter pair. Butler is a stud, but have Klay, Victor and others leapfrogged him slightly?

The point behind all of this is, would you shell out a 4-year max for a guy who may not make a single All-Star appearance while under that contract? I certainly feel that while Jimmy can be a MAJOR puzzle piece to a championship, it's a valid question.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#29 » by Prokorov » Sun May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

butler would make the allstar team at least 2 years with us. same with tobias. kemba would all 4 years, so would kyrie.
Aussienet3
Junior

Post#30 » by Aussienet3 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Again, I never mentioned rozier and lyles.

Oh and your dreaming if you think those other 3 are top 15!!
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#31 » by Prokorov » Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 am

Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

not harris, but kemba and kyrie certainly are
Aussienet3
Junior

Post#32 » by Aussienet3 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 am

Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Sorry man, I just don't get the love you have for those three player's I'm not arguing with you. It's your opinion. I get that.
Really looking forward to the next 8 weeks to see what magic Marks do.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#33 » by Prokorov » Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

Sorry man, I just don't get the love you have for those three player's I'm not arguing with you. It's your opinion. I get that.
Really looking forward to the next 8 weeks to see what magic Marks do.

whats not to get?

Kyrie - 24/7/5 on 49/40/87 and 24 PER 59 TS%
Butler - 21/5/4 on 47/37/79 and 22 PEr/58 TS% and All-NBA defense
Kemba Walker - 26/6/4 on 43/36/85 and 22 PER 56 TS%

Kyrie has lead a team to the playoffs as its best player and a #1 seed (celtics) and been the second best player on a championship team(Cleveland) he is a 6-time all-star and All-NBA player.

I see no argument for Kyrie not being a top 15 player.

Butler has lead 2 different teams to the playoffs as their best player (Wolves, Bulls) and both teams were trash after he left. He was phillys best player in the playoffs. he is a 4 time all-star and All-NBA player defensively.

i see no argument for butler not being a top 15 player.

Kemba has been the best player on a playoff team (hornets). he is a 3-time all-star. I can see a case for Kemba being a top 20 player and not top 15, but he is certainly right there.

I think the top 13 is some order of:

Curry
Lebron
Harden
Kawhi
KD
Giannis
AD
George
Embiid
Kyrie
Butler
Jokic
Lillard
Klay
Kemba

the next next 10 id have some order of:

Gobert
Westbrook
Griffin
Oladipo
Simmons
Harris
Westbrook
Beal Towns

and then the next 10:

Turner
Derozan
Jrue
Dlo
Draymond
Paul
Middleton
Lowry
Fox
Mitchell
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#34 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Prok, let someone else get the last word on the top-15 debate.

As for your assessment of Wiggins, let me put it to you this way. We could make some easy moves to get one max FA slot beyond D'Angelo's cap hold. Other than that, we can 1) either pay to jettison contracts and put ourselves in position for another max FA, or 2) we can absorb salary for youth assets that can hopefully entice that max FA as much. We don't NEED to do either, but my hunch is that either of these routes will do more to convince an elite max FA to sign.

The deal that I proposed on the T&T board, Crabbe/Dinwiddie/27/31 for Wiggins/11/13, certainly has its detractors. But I believe that the value exchange is balanced. We sign a 2nd max guy instead of the aforementioned incoming trade package, by trading that exact same package for pure, uncut capspace. But is a 30yo Jimmy Butler worth TWO LOTTERY PICKS more than a 24yo Wiggins? Andrew may have flat-lined, but Butler's needle is pointing down, while his contract will keep pointing up.

What would you rather have at the next training camp:

1) a 30yo Jimmy Butler signed to a 4-year, $144mil deal, or
2) a 24yo Wiggins, a 20yo Nickeil Alexander-Walker, and a 19yo Sekou Doumbouya

The cap hit is the same, and honestly, I think the impact on winning would be higher on door #2. In 2021, Butler's deal is going to look alot like Chris Paul's does now. If Andrew gives you any more efficiency than he does now, it just increases the trade value return.

At the end of the day, none of us knows where any FA will land. Either of these moves could increase or decrease our chances. The one thing I don't want to see us do is NOT make any moves from where we stand, and end up with a 3rd-tier FA like Julius Randle or Nikola Mirotic, singed to near-max money (4 years, ~105mil). I think you and I can both agree about that!
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#35 » by Prokorov » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Prok, let someone else get the last word on the top-15 debate.

fair enough

As for your assessment of Wiggins, let me put it to you this way. We could make some easy moves to get one max FA slot beyond D'Angelo's cap hold. Other than that, we can 1) either pay to jettison contracts and put ourselves in position for another max FA, or 2) we can absorb salary for youth assets that can hopefully entice that max FA as much. We don't NEED to do either, but my hunch is that either of these routes will do more to convince an elite max FA to sign.

there is a third option, just sign 1 max free agent and roll with it from there. no need to take on arguably the leagues worst contract for an awful player in wiggins who has the label of being a guy who isnt competitive and doesnt have much drive.

I cant see a max player wanting to come play with wiggings. for one, he isnt good. second we know butler wont be that guy. third, the max player knows no other help is coming because wiggins is eating up a ton of cap. last, we have real repeated tax problems

The deal that I proposed on the T&T board, Crabbe/Dinwiddie/27/31 for Wiggins/11/13, certainly has its detractors. But I believe that the value exchange is balanced. We sign a 2nd max guy instead of the aforementioned incoming trade package, by trading that exact same package for pure, uncut capspace. But is a 30yo Jimmy Butler worth TWO LOTTERY PICKS more than a 24yo Wiggins? Andrew may have flat-lined, but Butler's needle is pointing down, while his contract will keep pointing up.

We dont need cap space to sign a max guy. we can buy out crabbe to get there. wiggins isnt worth the picks or dinwiddie.

What would you rather have at the next training camp:

1) a 30yo Jimmy Butler signed to a 4-year, $144mil deal, or
2) a 24yo Wiggins, a 20yo Nickeil Alexander-Walker, and a 19yo Sekou Doumbouya

Option 2 plus whoever we take at 17 and 27. and its not even remotely close. i view wiggins as one of the 3 most negative assets in the league. for me he is THE worst because he is a negative cap wise but also a negative on the court and rumored to be a negative from a locker room/work ethic stand point

The cap hit is the same, and honestly, I think the impact on winning would be higher on door #2. In 2021, Butler's deal is going to look alot like Chris Paul's does now. If Andrew gives you any more efficiency than he does now, it just increases the trade value return.

this is the kind of move you make if you plan to tank. the nets are not tanking. butler has somewhere between infinity and infinitiy plys one more impact on winning as opposed to wiggins.

At the end of the day, none of us knows where any FA will land. Either of these moves could increase or decrease our chances. The one thing I don't want to see us do is NOT make any moves from where we stand, and end up with a 3rd-tier FA like Julius Randle or Nikola Mirotic, singed to near-max money (4 years, ~105mil). I think you and I can both agree about that!

i agree on randle and mirotic... id rank those as only slightly better then wiggins.

we dont know what will happen in free agency, but i can all but gaurantee wiggins wont be a net.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#36 » by Rockice_24 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Well between these two options give me #1 all day every day.

I still prefer to find a way to bring in Harris and Brogdon. Both great culture fits and both still in their prime with a young core to grow with. Obviously need to move Crabbe to find the space and also likely lose Harris in the process but at least you get an upgrade with Brogdon to fill in.

D-Lo/Din
Brogdon/#17
Levert/Musa
Harris/Kurucs
Allen/Davis

Love that team right there. Easy to root for, great spacing, and with the oldest players in the starting 5 being what 26-27 you have 5-7 year window to work with.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#37 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm

^
Meh, I'm not high on Brogdon next to D'Angelo, we already have Spencer whose game complements Russell better IMO (btw, Dinwiddie is younger). Plus we'd need to pay through the nose to convince MIL not to match.

I could live with Tobias at the right price, but my fear is he's another 2nd-tier FA that's gonna get max money from someone once the elites guys make their choices. I won't be happy with him at anything larger than 4 years, $90mil, but I think he's going to get a 4-year max ($140mil). That's buyer's remorse.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#38 » by Prokorov » Wed May 22, 2019 2:40 am

Rockice_24 wrote:Well between these two options give me #1 all day every day.

I still prefer to find a way to bring in Harris and Brogdon. Both great culture fits and both still in their prime with a young core to grow with. Obviously need to move Crabbe to find the space and also likely lose Harris in the process but at least you get an upgrade with Brogdon to fill in.

D-Lo/Din
Brogdon/#17
Levert/Musa
Harris/Kurucs
Allen/Davis

Love that team right there. Easy to root for, great spacing, and with the oldest players in the starting 5 being what 26-27 you have 5-7 year window to work with.

brogdon is a downgrade from harris.... a sizeable one. and i dont like him with dlo cause then you have 2 gaurds neither with much quickness. i love tobias.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#39 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed May 22, 2019 4:58 pm

I'd like to see an option 1B:

-Get Russell inked to a "reasonable" deal
-Sign Jimmy Butler
-Trade for Anthony Davis -- Crabbe, Levert (ugh), Allen, #27, top 5 protected 2020 1st (I know delusional to think they'd take this)

Russell is your point guard going forward, but he needs some scoring help. We need strong scoring presences with experience that fit the Brooklyn model. Getting Butler would be a great fit for this team and I think Kenny and staff would do an amazing job managing his minutes and health. And then with Davis, we go in one the 1-year rental like OKC and Toronto did, and pray that Langdon does us a solid (lol jk).

Russell, Harris, Jimmy, Kurucs/Rookie, A. Davis
Dinwiddie, Musa, Graham, Kurucs/Rookie

(fill in the rest with cheap vets)

I have a hunch KD and Kawhi won't end up in Brooklyn, but maybe trading for Davis and signing Jimmy would be a 3rd option without going down the Tier B star road. Just some thoughts.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#40 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Prokorov wrote:brogdon is a downgrade from harris.... a sizeable one. and i dont like him with dlo cause then you have 2 gaurds neither with much quickness.

FINALLY! We agree on something!

Prokorov wrote:i love tobias.

Well, that didn't last long.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tobias Harris' game alot, in a vacuum. I would be over the moon to land him in free agency, IF he were willing to sign something like 4 years, $85mil. The problem is, he's going to get a max from someone. For a non-All-Star who shrinks in the postseason, that's caveat emptor.

In any case, he'll get the max or very close to it from PHI. They paid through the nose for him so they'll do everything they can to keep him. Other teams can offer 4 years, $141mil, and will. The Sixers can offer a 5th year, and will probably leverage that to negotiate him down to a lower per-year amount. I'm guessing 5 years, $160mil. Even if I could offer it to Tobias, I'd say no thanks.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets