ImageImage

OT: 2019 Music Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 74,041
And1: 14,511
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#741 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 2, 2019 3:02 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,105
And1: 1,034
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#742 » by Iheartfootball » Thu May 2, 2019 4:50 pm

Love Banks. She's a clean cut sheet of silk.

New Vampire Weekend tomorrow it looks like. Lots already released but excited to dig into the album tomorrow in its entirety.
"Oh, you're Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life. So -- look at you."
- #45
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,105
And1: 1,034
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#743 » by Iheartfootball » Thu May 2, 2019 4:54 pm

stellation wrote:I'd have few problems with someone throwing the keys to the world to Chuck D and saying "****'s getting crazy, want to take her for a spin?"


Saw him at the Fillmore (West) a bunch of years ago. Did not disappoint. We need more activists and thinkers like him right now. Feels like that kind of music is slowly evaporating. Unless I'm just not plugged into it.
"Oh, you're Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life. So -- look at you."
- #45
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 22,901
And1: 4,489
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#744 » by crkone » Thu May 2, 2019 5:02 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Love Banks. She's a clean cut sheet of silk.

New Vampire Weekend tomorrow it looks like. Lots already released but excited to dig into the album tomorrow in its entirety.


I really dig Sunflower

Code: Select all

          o- - -  \o          __|
             o/   /|          vv`\
            /|     |              |
             |    / \_            |
            / \   |               |
           /  |                   |
User avatar
jmart762
Pro Prospect
Posts: 833
And1: 361
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
   

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#745 » by jmart762 » Thu May 2, 2019 7:29 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
stellation wrote:I'd have few problems with someone throwing the keys to the world to Chuck D and saying "****'s getting crazy, want to take her for a spin?"


Saw him at the Fillmore (West) a bunch of years ago. Did not disappoint. We need more activists and thinkers like him right now. Feels like that kind of music is slowly evaporating. Unless I'm just not plugged into it.
This is timely. I just listened to a podcast this morning with Nahko and Medicine for the People. I just heard of him in the last year, but quickly became one of my favorites. Definitely some aspects of activism. Gonna see him in 5 weeks and I'm pumped!

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
FrieAaron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,977
And1: 2,401
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#746 » by FrieAaron » Fri May 3, 2019 4:42 pm

jmart762 wrote:Any thoughts on summer fest? I've never been but might make the journey to go see The Lonely Island.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Generally don't like going to Summerfest but I like the lineup this year a lot. I'd go to any of:

Outlaw Music Festival
Bon Iver
The Killers/Death Cab For Cutie
Lil Wayne/Snoop Dogg/Schoolboy
The National
Lizzo
Jimmy Eat World
Chvrches
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Elle King
The Roots
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Reverend Horton Heat
User avatar
FrieAaron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,977
And1: 2,401
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#747 » by FrieAaron » Fri May 3, 2019 4:50 pm

Like the new Vampire Weekend album on first listen. Was not expecting the first song to sample Zimmer's score for "The Thin Red Line."
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 12,714
And1: 5,190
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#748 » by stellation » Fri May 3, 2019 11:47 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Any thoughts on summer fest? I've never been but might make the journey to go see The Lonely Island.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Generally don't like going to Summerfest but I like the lineup this year a lot. I'd go to any of:

Outlaw Music Festival
Bon Iver
The Killers/Death Cab For Cutie
Lil Wayne/Snoop Dogg/Schoolboy
The National
Lizzo
Jimmy Eat World
Chvrches
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Elle King
The Roots
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Reverend Horton Heat

I caught Death Cab a few months ago, they were outstanding.

I've seen The National live a couple of times and both have been right up there as far as best shows I've seen, really commanding group that is mesmerising live.
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,105
And1: 1,034
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#749 » by Iheartfootball » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm

"Oh, you're Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life. So -- look at you."
- #45
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 12,714
And1: 5,190
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#750 » by stellation » Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 pm


Very excited, planning to pick up the clear vinyl on release day.
User avatar
FrieAaron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,977
And1: 2,401
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#751 » by FrieAaron » Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 am

Cool, I haven't heard anything from Hannigan since she was with Damien Rice.
Coach Carter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,122
And1: 2,054
Joined: Apr 28, 2017

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#752 » by Coach Carter » Wed May 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Some 70's aussie band, a lot of potential, not sure what happened

User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,105
And1: 1,034
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#753 » by Iheartfootball » Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Not sure I'm really digging the new National album yet. I've listened a few times. Can't connect.

New Local Natives though. That one is a grow-er and a show-er IMO.

"Oh, you're Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life. So -- look at you."
- #45
chonestown
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,219
And1: 4,521
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Stretch Cadillacs, fruit cocktails

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#754 » by chonestown » Fri May 24, 2019 8:07 pm

David Berman back. Can't tell how much of the personnel is carry-over from Silver Jews, but damn am I glad to see him back. Not necessarily the best balm to soothe jangled nerves after the Game 5 debacle, but brother, I take solace in whichever forms I can find.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
jmart762
Pro Prospect
Posts: 833
And1: 361
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
   

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#755 » by jmart762 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:32 pm

Thought you guys might find this cool.

I have a customer at one of my farmers markets who started making comments about my Bucks apparel. We got to talking about them, and find out he's more of a general NBA fan but he's rooting for the Bucks this year.

He's been busy at work lately so he hasn't seen the recent games (probably for the better), and only has read a bit about it on the internet. I ask him where he gets his content, and he says RealGM.

My man.

He compliments the Bucks board, and specifically calls out this thread for being amazing and leading him to some amazing new music. He's a lurker since the early 2000s, but I thought it was pretty cool, so I wanted to share. Keep up the good work, crew. You're touching lives.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 25,957
And1: 2,945
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#756 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 28, 2019 5:16 pm

I am going to see David Gray tonight, which has been on my overall life bucket list for about 10 years. I have been listening to him since I was in high school. I got his album A New Day at Midnight in 2002 and got into his catalog from there.I don't know his new stuff as well, but it appears that 2/3 of the average setlist on this tour are old stuff, split against 1/3 new, and he's playing 24 songs.

My heart is not ready.



EDIT: Scratch that. I remember watching the video for Babylon when it came out in 1999. TWENTY YEARS AGO. MIDDLE SCHOOL.
User avatar
ackypoo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,000
And1: 2,100
Joined: Jan 03, 2013
 

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#757 » by ackypoo » Tue May 28, 2019 5:31 pm

chonestown wrote:David Berman back. Can't tell how much of the personnel is carry-over from Silver Jews, but damn am I glad to see him back. Not necessarily the best balm to soothe jangled nerves after the Game 5 debacle, but brother, I take solace in whichever forms I can find.


i had always heard of the silver jews and kinda never looked into them until recently i was reading a lot more about bobby bare jr and found out he was in the band for a bit. im kinda a bobby bare jr fan.

anyways, now just reading more on david berkman, his return to music was apparently co producing this album by yonatan gat, whom ive never heard of til now and i think ill enjoy this? im going to listen now.

so thanks for starting me down a path.

chonestown
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,219
And1: 4,521
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Stretch Cadillacs, fruit cocktails

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#758 » by chonestown » Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 pm

ackypoo wrote:
chonestown wrote:David Berman back. Can't tell how much of the personnel is carry-over from Silver Jews, but damn am I glad to see him back. Not necessarily the best balm to soothe jangled nerves after the Game 5 debacle, but brother, I take solace in whichever forms I can find.


i had always heard of the silver jews and kinda never looked into them until recently i was reading a lot more about bobby bare jr and found out he was in the band for a bit. im kinda a bobby bare jr fan.

anyways, now just reading more on david berkman, his return to music was apparently co producing this album by yonatan gat, whom ive never heard of til now and i think ill enjoy this? im going to listen now.

so thanks for starting me down a path.



Awesome. As for Silver Jews material, "Bright Flight" makes the most sense coming from a Bobby Jr perspective. Easily the most country of his records, both in terms of instrumentality and reliance on narratives lyrically, though all the albums from "American Water" through to present day have transcendent moments. Probably my favorite non-rap lyricist of <extremely Muhammad Ali voice> all time.

Here's a Pitchfork interview from 2002 that gets well within his head. Highlights include him talking about his fondness for a well-turned phrase in country music.
https://pitchfork.com/features/interview/5842-silver-jews/

Lyrically, country music is the most satisfying music for me...It has a lot to do with concision and details that spread a fabric under the song. Bobby Braddock is great. Of course Bill Anderson. Roger Miller for weirdness. Some favorite titles: "I'm Gonna Hire a Wino to Redecorate Our Home," a hit for David Frizzell in the early eighties, "I Got in at 3 with a 10 and Woke Up at 10 with a 3" is another.


He rules.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 25,957
And1: 2,945
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#759 » by MikeIsGood » Fri May 31, 2019 12:41 am



h/t NPR Music for this one. I will be looking into this duo much, much more. This song **** rules.
User avatar
MissKhriddleton
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,322
And1: 781
Joined: Nov 03, 2015
 

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#760 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri May 31, 2019 1:12 am

I've been listening to this Scott Hutchison (of Frightened Rabbit) tribute show quite a bit lately. Features Ben Gibbard, Craig Finn, and some others.

https://m.soundcloud.com/frightened-rabbit/sets/a-celebration-of-the-songs-of-scott-hutchison-live-at-rough-trade-nyc

Return to Milwaukee Bucks