ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#281 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 pm

The max is $32,400,000 for next year, according to Capulator (based on $108M salary cap). I'd still propose frontloading it. Max year 1, 8% raise for year 2, 8% decline for year 3, then flat, then 8% decline. Something like that. Although tbh I'd just give the full 5yr max with the raises.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#282 » by youngcrev » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm

If Tobias Harris ends up getting that full 5 year, $187.92M then Elton is a really bad negotiator. Something people have already accused him of with the trade to get him in the first place.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#283 » by FireMorey » Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 pm

Obviously you want to get him or any player you sign for the best deal possible, but not sure why people care how much he gets paid. You can go over the cap in the NBA, it's not our money. As long as Harris is ok paying the LT then go for it. If you have intel you can get someone better, sure go for it, but you don't let a guy like Harris go so you can have money to improve your bench. That's just dumb to me. For one, we can build up the bench over time with draft picks, MLE every year.

They just need to start nailing their lower draft picks, which they haven't been doing.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#284 » by smittybanton » Wed May 22, 2019 11:49 pm

I was wrong about not signing Tobias Harris. I misunderstood our ability to keep JJ Redick and Mike Scott and still have our exceptions to get Tomas Satoransky and/or Thomas Bryant Jr. This is one of the weakest drafts in a long time, but I am 100% confident Daniel Gafford can defend and rebound in the NBA, plus run the floor and finish at the rim like Richaun Holmes from day one. 6-11, 235, 5.9% body fat. Others will want guys who can shoot, but I am suspicious of any of them being a plus defender in the NBA, much less an immediate impact next year. I think Bol, Hayes, Bassey, Claxton may have extremely high ceilings, but also have extremely high bust potential. I wouldn't bet on any of them, except Claxton, and not as a solution at five. Pascal Siakam is his high side, while Anthony Randolph is his low. On the other hand, I am certain Gafford will be a borderline starter for seven to ten years just on solid defense alone. Not only will Ben love throwing alley-oops to him, Tomas Satornasky can run the pick and roll better than anyone we have. He and Gafford would do damage.

Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Joel Embiid
Tomas Satoransky, Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott, Jonah Bolden, Thomas Bryant Jr.
Shamorie Ponds, Shake Milton, Matisse Thybulle, Nicolas Claxton, Daniel Gafford
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#285 » by spikeslovechild » Thu May 23, 2019 2:00 am

I still think we should be trying to recruit a true max guy then signing one of Butler/Harris to a extension.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#286 » by Tomjas » Thu May 23, 2019 3:00 am

Not my money but roughly $40 million per year for Tobias seems like a lot to me

Guy will be earning more than Embiid
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#287 » by 76ciology » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 am

Selling point for Tobi is he’s not yet at his peak. Do you buy his upside?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#288 » by 76ciology » Thu May 23, 2019 3:05 am

Moneyball move if Tobias opts to walk away: Sign Morris and Dedmon. Morris is like a poor man’s harris, while having Dedmon as back-up C makes a lot of impact for the team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#289 » by freshie2 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:09 am

Just saw Landry Shamet in KC...seems like a really nice guy. Tough to give him up if they dont re-sign Harris. May be a tough call this offseason unless they go all in on Butler and Harris.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#290 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 am

76ciology wrote:Selling point for Tobi is he’s not yet at his peak. Do you buy his upside?

Nope, I think he is around his peak more or less, if anything, he played at his best with Clippers, he had a system more oriented to showcase his abilities.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#291 » by FlyingArrow » Thu May 23, 2019 5:06 am

I think we saw what we will get from him for the most part. Slightly better shooting as the guys learn to play together and they get each other the ball where they want it.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#292 » by spikeslovechild » Thu May 23, 2019 6:07 am

The problem I have is we are going to have to sign one of Harris/Butler even if we go out and try to get someone else. Butler took over the role as the adult in the room in the playoffs but I am not sure he is the guy we want to run the offense through longterm. Ideally we would bring in someone who has a little more all around offensive game. I think Harris is better off the ball player.

What we need is that 2nd true superstar level player with more of a complete offensive game that Embiid can play off of. Embiid also has to work on his 3PT shot. He is so much more dangerous when defenders have to come out and defend the 3PT line.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#293 » by Tomjas » Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am

spikeslovechild wrote:The problem I have is we are going to have to sign one of Harris/Butler even if we go out and try to get someone else. Butler took over the role as the adult in the room in the playoffs but I am not sure he is the guy we want to run the offense through longterm. Ideally we would bring in someone who has a little more all around offensive game. I think Harris is better off the ball player.

What we need is that 2nd true superstar level player with more of a complete offensive game that Embiid can play off of. Embiid also has to work on his 3PT shot. He is so much more dangerous when defenders have to come out and defend the 3PT line.

People are largely ignoring how ordinary Jimmy was as a pg

It was either very passive and simply passing it off without much creativity or iso stuff
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#294 » by Kova » Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 am

I don't think he is worth max. We should offer him 5-year contract, but not max. We need to keep some flexibility going forward. 5-year 150mil is the maximum I'm willing to give him.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#295 » by TTP » Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm

youngcrev wrote:If Tobias Harris ends up getting that full 5 year, $187.92M then Elton is a really bad negotiator. Something people have already accused him of with the trade to get him in the first place.

Overpaying for the privilege of overpaying was always a foolish move.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#296 » by hookshot199 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 pm

TTP wrote:
youngcrev wrote:If Tobias Harris ends up getting that full 5 year, $187.92M then Elton is a really bad negotiator. Something people have already accused him of with the trade to get him in the first place.

Overpaying for the privilege of overpaying was always a foolish move.

Let's hope Brand had some sort of understanding with Tobias's agent/father that five years will be offered at a slight discount. Split the difference (85%-90% of the full max) would be between the four-year "max" and five-year "max".

I suspect that Tobias's father put out a list of names to begin the auction. All have cap space. Two, perhaps three, have decidedly better coaches and can promise a style of play that highlights Tobias's strengths if they so choose. We have Embiid.

I do not support signing Jimmy for five. He turns 30 in September.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#297 » by sixers4real » Thu May 23, 2019 1:46 pm

People who want to give Tobias and Jimmy less then 5-year max, have to understand that they will probably quit if we don’t. Basically our only advantage for Butler and Harris is giving them more money which is kinda loyalty. If we offer to either of them 4-year max, I say the both are gone. And couple of million less then max for Tobias really won’t worth the risk of him leaving.
If we try’s to lowball them, and they leave, we will be left with Embiid, Bolden, Smith, Simmons and 70MIL to spend to fill the need for 11 players with no shot at Kawhi, KD, Klay, Kyrie, Middleton.

Elton Brand and Josh Harris said it numbers of times that they will everything to bring this city a championship. Championships are very hard to get. Very hard. You have to pay this guys to have a chance of winning a title in the next 5 years.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Processing76
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#298 » by Processing76 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 pm

sixers4real wrote:People who want to give Tobias and Jimmy less then 5-year max, have to understand that they will probably quit if we don’t. Basically our only advantage for Butler and Harris is giving them more money which is kinda loyalty. If we offer to either of them 4-year max, I say the both are gone. And couple of million less then max for Tobias really won’t worth the risk of him leaving.
If we try’s to lowball them, and they leave, we will be left with Embiid, Bolden, Smith, Simmons and 70MIL to spend to fill the need for 11 players with no shot at Kawhi, KD, Klay, Kyrie, Middleton.

Elton Brand and Josh Harris said it numbers of times that they will everything to bring this city a championship. Championships are very hard to get. Very hard. You have to pay this guys to have a chance of winning a title in the next 5 years.

When you say no shot at any of those players, is that because we literally will not be allowed to sign them due to some rule, or do you mean that none of them have any intention of coming to Philly?
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#299 » by sixers4real » Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Processing76 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:People who want to give Tobias and Jimmy less then 5-year max, have to understand that they will probably quit if we don’t. Basically our only advantage for Butler and Harris is giving them more money which is kinda loyalty. If we offer to either of them 4-year max, I say the both are gone. And couple of million less then max for Tobias really won’t worth the risk of him leaving.

When you say no shot at any of those players, is that because we literally will not be allowed to sign them due to some rule, or do you mean that none of them have any intention of coming to Philly?

No intention. All of this players will either stay where they are right now, or go NY / LA.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#300 » by Sixerscan » Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 pm

People don’t really believe that all the Sixers have to offer is money, right? It’s a great market that led the league in attendance and could compete for a title for years.

This idea that all else equal Harris would rather go be Donavan Mitchell’s sidekick on the Jazz seems crazy...

Return to Philadelphia 76ers