ImageImageImage

Are Wolves selling Hope, Winning, or Neither?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Re: Are Wolves selling Hope, Winning, or Neither? 

Post#21 » by King Malta » Thu May 23, 2019 1:11 am

Klomp wrote:As long as we have someone like Towns, we can always sell hope

Yeah I agree here.

KAT's legitimately a generational talent offensively. By the time he's retired he could very well go down as the most versatile big man of all time, his defence has been improving too.

Sure we're currently capped out and are carrying some bad contracts but they won't be here forever and KAT is still young. Put that together with the fact that the team is seemingly making concerted moves to establish a forward thinking, modern structure and I feel like hope is definitely the sell here.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,047

Post#22 » by Klomp » Thu May 23, 2019 4:55 am

I think people aren't going to like this, but I see a lot of similarities between the timelines of the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Brooklyn Nets. We obviously have the more talented roster, but we have playing in the Western Conference to counter-balance that and even things out.

To be clear, I'm talking about the 2019-20 Timberwolves and 2016-17 Nets. I don't think we'll be a playoff team in 2019-20. I'm not even sure we'll be a playoff team in 2020-21. But I do think we'll begin to show some considerable signs of improvement that will lead us to a nice playoff run no later than Year 3.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#23 » by theGreatRC » Thu May 23, 2019 5:43 am

Teams clearly better than us as it stands:

Warriors
Blazers
Nuggets
Rockets
Jazz
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder

Warriors could lose KD, Boogie & maybe a less than 10% chance they lose Thompson, but will still be better than us.

Blazers will probably keep the same core roster + Nurk might not be back until later next year

Nuggets will probably get even better next year.

Rockets might not be as good, everyone is getting older, but they will still likely be better than us

Jazz are looking for a new PG, they have Donavon, Gobert & Ingles are core pieces and might move on from Favors if they decline his team option..they could be better than us next year depending on draft + FA moves/trades.

Spurs - Getting Dejounte Murray back, but might lose Gay in FA..Aldridge is turning 34 next season and who knows if DeRozan can carry..might not be better than us next year depending on what they do.

Clippers..could be way better than us if they land a big time FA..they could also strike out and remain the same team.

Thunder..idk where they really go from where they are right now unless they get a good trade going or hit on their draft pick.

Not to mention the Lakers are absolutely going to do everything in their power to make the playoffs next season, so they have a good chance of being better than us as well.

Dallas looks to be a player too in having a nice roster for next year.

Kings exceeded expectations as well last year and are probably hungry to make the POs.

Memphis & Phoenix are young and don't really have that superstar piece that they can build around. Booker is a high level player, but he's like a Zach Lavine and is better as the 2 or 3 guy on a really nasty team..

Every team in the west is loaded, but just like the Bucks & Nuggets, sometimes a team can come out of nowhere and look completely different than the last year, Wolves can make those strides if Gersson and the rest of the management can put solid competitive pieces on the squad for next year
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#24 » by wesleyt95 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am

Klomp wrote:I think people aren't going to like this, but I see a lot of similarities between the timelines of the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Brooklyn Nets. We obviously have the more talented roster, but we have playing in the Western Conference to counter-balance that and even things out.

To be clear, I'm talking about the 2019-20 Timberwolves and 2016-17 Nets. I don't think we'll be a playoff team in 2019-20. I'm not even sure we'll be a playoff team in 2020-21. But I do think we'll begin to show some considerable signs of improvement that will lead us to a nice playoff run no later than Year 3.

We might as well Trade Saric for a 2020 pick and draft his replacement w/ #11 this year and figure out PG between now and then
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#25 » by wesleyt95 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 am

If we strike in the 2nd and 1st round like last year I won’t be worried at all
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#26 » by yawner » Thu May 23, 2019 8:23 am

theGreatRC wrote:Teams clearly better than us as it stands:

Warriors
Blazers
Nuggets
Rockets
Jazz
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder

Warriors could lose KD, Boogie & maybe a less than 10% chance they lose Thompson, but will still be better than us.

Blazers will probably keep the same core roster + Nurk might not be back until later next year

Nuggets will probably get even better next year.

Rockets might not be as good, everyone is getting older, but they will still likely be better than us

Jazz are looking for a new PG, they have Donavon, Gobert & Ingles are core pieces and might move on from Favors if they decline his team option..they could be better than us next year depending on draft + FA moves/trades.

Spurs - Getting Dejounte Murray back, but might lose Gay in FA..Aldridge is turning 34 next season and who knows if DeRozan can carry..might not be better than us next year depending on what they do.

Clippers..could be way better than us if they land a big time FA..they could also strike out and remain the same team.

Thunder..idk where they really go from where they are right now unless they get a good trade going or hit on their draft pick.

Not to mention the Lakers are absolutely going to do everything in their power to make the playoffs next season, so they have a good chance of being better than us as well.

Dallas looks to be a player too in having a nice roster for next year.

Kings exceeded expectations as well last year and are probably hungry to make the POs.

Memphis & Phoenix are young and don't really have that superstar piece that they can build around. Booker is a high level player, but he's like a Zach Lavine and is better as the 2 or 3 guy on a really nasty team..

Every team in the west is loaded, but just like the Bucks & Nuggets, sometimes a team can come out of nowhere and look completely different than the last year, Wolves can make those strides if Gersson and the rest of the management can put solid competitive pieces on the squad for next year

I disagree with that list.

Teams that will clearly be better next season: Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Nuggets

Teams in the same tier the Wolves should be next year:

-Spurs: An old team with a veteran allstar (Aldridge), an ineffient wing (Derozan) and a couple of youngster and average players. Good, well organised franchise.

-Jazz: They have a not enought good (for now) shooting guard and a center who struggles a bit in playoffs due to his lack of offensive talent. The rest of the roster is pretty undertalented. Very good coaching though.

-Thunder: I think that Westbrook is a very overrated player. I don´t think he makes his teammates better. They have a great wing (Paul George) and center (Aquaman). The rest of the roster is nothing special, and the coaching level doesn´t seem to be high.

-Wolves: Have more talent than the Spurs and the Jazz. The Wolves are in dissadvantage when it comes to coaching, but considering the changes that are happening in the coaching staff, that dissadvantage might dissapear this season.

-Clippers and Lakers: It has yet to be seen what they sign in the freeagents market.

Kings, Dallas, Memphis, Phoenix. Are clearly worse teams.

So, the Wolves should be in the mix to get a 5-8 playffs seed next season, unless injuries or something strange happen. Of course, rosters can change a lot during summer. But, right now, this is how I see the west conference.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#27 » by Neeva » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am

If that’s the case wolves should trade Roco and Saric now, while their value is relatively high( probably highest it will be for Roco)and get some younger players that will be good by the 2021-2022 season.

Klomp wrote:I think people aren't going to like this, but I see a lot of similarities between the timelines of the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Brooklyn Nets. We obviously have the more talented roster, but we have playing in the Western Conference to counter-balance that and even things out.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,725

Post#28 » by minimus » Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 am

yawner wrote:So, the Wolves should be in the mix to get a 5-8 playffs seed next season, unless injuries or something strange happen. Of course, rosters can change a lot during summer. But, right now, this is how I see the west conference.

My problem is that KAT supremacy in offense makes us look better, but in terms of team identity both in offense and defense we are way too behind same UTA, DAL, LAC, DEN teams. They are battle tested, they play together or for same coach more years. I feel like we will build a new identity starting this offseason and try to make our best in FA market, trades and draft. Everything at this point is more investment to me, new coaching staff, new POBO/HC. We need to invest in right personell. However, I can see us making a big leap, when Teague, Dieng deals expire, we will play same core for at least one full season, and Okogie, KBD, Reynolds develops into solid rotation players. So at this point we will have some resources (picks, young players), some cap space, I hope that Wiggins, Saric, RoCo, Tyus will up their trading value as well by playing good basketball.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#29 » by wesleyt95 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 am

Neeva wrote:If that’s the case wolves should trade Roco and Saric now, while their value is relatively high( probably highest it will be for Roco)and get some younger players that will be good by the 2021-2022 season.

Id trade Roco for Moe Harkless & Anfernee Simons and make him PG of the future, trade Saric for 2020 first, see what we can get for Teague, tank next year for SF but we’d have a solid young core w/ Simons-Okogie-2020Lotto-Rui/Sekou-Towns
Not to mention We’d have additional assets and see how Wiggins progresses & having option of dumping him w/ the Saric pick
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#30 » by wesleyt95 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 am

Or we could trade Saric for a 2019 and draft Louis King an start Wiggins and Harkless (25 yo) and groom Okogie Simons King KBD off the bench
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#31 » by yawner » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

minimus wrote:
yawner wrote:So, the Wolves should be in the mix to get a 5-8 playffs seed next season, unless injuries or something strange happen. Of course, rosters can change a lot during summer. But, right now, this is how I see the west conference.

My problem is that KAT supremacy in offense makes us look better, but in terms of team identity both in offense and defense we are way too behind same UTA, DAL, LAC, DEN teams. They are battle tested, they play together or for same coach more years. I feel like we will build a new identity starting this offseason and try to make our best in FA market, trades and draft. Everything at this point is more investment to me, new coaching staff, new POBO/HC. We need to invest in right personell. However, I can see us making a big leap, when Teague, Dieng deals expire, we will play same core for at least one full season, and Okogie, KBD, Reynolds develops into solid rotation players. So at this point we will have some resources (picks, young players), some cap space, I hope that Wiggins, Saric, RoCo, Tyus will up their trading value as well by playing good basketball.

The new POBO is already investing in right personel.

Last season, with a **** identity, with Kat underused half the season, with Roco playing only 22 games, with a rookie as a defensive wing reference during second half of the season, with chaos everywhere, with lots of injuries... They won 36 games.

Now, imagine all the people living life in peace, sharing all the ball, with decent offensive and deffensive systems, with Roco playing 66 games, with the players playing to their strengths, etc. It´s easy if you try. :wink:
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#32 » by PharmD » Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:If we’re not in the playoff race by the deadline next year it’s time to start trading for picks and tank for 2020 but more importantly 2021

What would we even have to trade for picks? Covington is it, really.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#33 » by wesleyt95 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 pm

PharmD wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:If we’re not in the playoff race by the deadline next year it’s time to start trading for picks and tank for 2020 but more importantly 2021

Saric, Teague (Could fill in similar role to George Hill on the Bucks)
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#34 » by PharmD » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
PharmD wrote:

Hill's contract was bought out and he signed with the Bucks for the minimum. That's what the future likely holds for Teague. Nobody would give up assets for the right to pay him $19M (unless they are unloading bad contracts for an expiring)
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#35 » by SO_MONEY » Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 am

PharmD wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
PharmD wrote:What would we even have to trade for picks? Covington is it, really.

Hill's contract was bought out and he signed with the Bucks for the minimum. That's what the future likely holds for Teague. Nobody would give up assets for the right to pay him $19M (unless they are unloading bad contracts for an expiring)
Which is why you take back a bad contract.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,047

Post#36 » by Klomp » Wed May 29, 2019 3:12 am

SO_MONEY wrote:Which is why you take back a bad contract.

I'm really thinking this will be the route we take.

Gupta was the brainchild behind Houston dealing McGrady's $23 million expiring for Kevin Martin (first year of 5/55 extension), Jordan Hill (1st year of rookie scale), Jared Jeffries (2 yr/13.2 mil), Hilton Armstrong (3 mil expiring), pick swap, and future 1st.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#37 » by PharmD » Wed May 29, 2019 2:01 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
PharmD wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Saric, Teague (Could fill in similar role to George Hill on the Bucks)

Which is why you take back a bad contract.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yeah maybe. Maybe we use Teague as a matching contract to take somebody else's Gorgui Dieng contract off their hands and get paid a pick to do so. But that's a huge difference than Teague being worth a pick/picks.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#38 » by Foye » Fri May 31, 2019 1:28 pm

There's no hope for this team. We have KAT and that's it.
We aint winning either. Build to be a .500 team.

I am ready for the next rebuilding period. Just takes a couple more years for the rest of this fanbase to realize it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#39 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
PharmD wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Saric, Teague (Could fill in similar role to George Hill on the Bucks)

Which is why you take back a bad contract. Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Which is another evidence Thibs dinamited the FA of 2017. It was the last season with capspace available before Wigs and KAT extension started to count.

An expiring bad contract wont be earning us a 1st IMO.
If its not an expiring then it's likely will put us above the season after next if we use the MLE (which we need to fill for Teague leaving).
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#40 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Foye wrote:There's no hope for this team. We have KAT and that's it.
We aint winning either. Build to be a .500 team.

I am ready for the next rebuilding period. Just takes a couple more years for the rest of this fanbase to realize it.

Things change quickly in the NBA, ask to Bucks, Denver or Brooklyn fans this season.

I think KAT and Roco are two pieces that bring the team above 35 wins with average NBA talent around them. After that Tyus, Saric and Okogie are above average NBA talent on modest deals. Reynolds, KBD and Deng (if returns) are good players on minimum contracts. Wiggins, Teague and Dieng eating 60M per season is damaging, but two of them will expire over the next 2 seasons. If we can replace those spots via draft/MLE this can turn around quicky.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves