2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP, Updated List of Players We've Met, Page 1

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP, Updated List of Players We've Met, Page 1 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Looking ahead, Spurs have three picks in this season's draft - 19, 29, 49. It's clear we have a glut at SG and a need at SF. Shoring up and strengthening the PF and C positions are important for the long term as well. Assuming we do not use one of the SGs and a pick to move up (or make a bigger trade, which sounds unlikely given that it was confirmed we're largely returning with the same core next season), I have an initial leaning towards Rui Hachimura or Bruno Fernando. In most mocks, both fall from within the mid to late lotto to around our range, and you never know how players will show at the combines and camps or which teams will fall in or out of love during the process.

For instance, Rui will not attend the combine and so it's being speculated he already has a promise. One mock has him at #4 (!) (As intriguing as news trickling out is, you can only guess at the machinations and smokescreen gamesmanship going on behind the scenes. Other teams just play it close to the vest. The styles and approaches to drafting are interesting, too). On the other end, ESPN has Bruno at #34, and both would be shocking to me at those spots. Then again, from all the prospects I posted about last season, none of them were Lonnie as I never expected him to fall to us. Here's hoping for some more gems slipping through to us.

CONFIRMED SPURS WORKOUTS / INTERVIEWS (Always tricky to find info about them what with the Spurs secretive ways, updated as they're confirmed):

Darius Bazley - RC watched him work out at a Pro Day in LA

Goga Bitadze - His first workout was with us

Marques Bolden - Worked out for us

Nicolas Claxton* - Worked out with the Spurs before the 2019 Combine (interview)
- Possible second workout

Sekou Doumbouya* - RC watched him work out at a Pro Day in Frisco, TX
- Sekou worked out for us as well

Bruno Fernando - Worked out for us

Jaxson Hayes - Met with us at the Combine

Tyler Herro - Worked out for us

Keldon Johnson - Met with us

Nassir Little - We interviewed him at the Combine

Matt Looney - Worked out for us

Charles Matthews - Worked out 3 on 3 for the Spurs (Wasserman rumour in tweet)

Jordan Murphy - Worked out for us

Nickeil Alexander-Walker - Revealed at the Pre-Draft session that he met with us

Eric Paschall* - We interviewed him at the Combine
- Also worked out for us

Kevin Porter Jr. - Worked out 3 on 3 for the Spurs (Wasserman rumour in tweet)

Cam Reddish - Met with us ahead of the draft

Naz Reid - Worked out for us

Isaiah Roby* - Worked out for us before the Combine
- Possibly had a second workout for us in June

Luka Samanic* - RC scouted him overseas (PtR article)
- Also workout out for us

Chris Silva - Worked out for us

Talen Horton-Tucker - RC watched him work out at a Pro Day in LA

PJ Washington - We interviewed him at the Combine

Tremont Waters - Visited with us. Work out unconfirmed as he's recovering from ankle sprain (per Candace Buckner)

Grant Williams - A workout with us was scheduled (unconfirmed workout)

Dylan Windler - Worked out for us

* There are surely more, but these are the players identified to have had multiple meetings with Spurs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Some key dates and events for draft prospects (dates via https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/4/2/18292137/nba-draft-2019-dates):

MAY 12-14: 2019 G LEAGUE ELITE CAMP, Quest Multisport, Chicago
Replacing the NBA G League Elite Mini Camp, the new event will give prospects eligible for the 2019 NBA Draft an opportunity to showcase their skills in front of NBA and NBA G League scouts, coaches and front office executives. The event will also continue to give top NBA G League prospects from the previous season a chance to be evaluated. The NBA G League players will attend the first two days of the NBA G League Elite Camp and the 2019 NBA Draft prospects will participate in the second and third days, without overlap between the two groups of athletes.

A select number of players from the draft-eligible group will be invited to participate in the 2019 NBA Draft Combine based on their performance in the NBA G League Elite Camp.

The draft-eligible participants for the NBA G League Elite Camp and the invitees to the NBA Draft Combine will both be determined by an NBA team vote. Once the NBA Draft Combine participants are finalized, the top remaining 40 vote-getters will be invited to the last two days of the Elite Camp.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-to-host-inaugural-elite-camp/

Read on Twitter

MAY 14-19: 2019 NBA DRAFT COMBINE, Chicago
Read on Twitter

MAY 30 - JUNE 2: NBA GLOBAL CAMP 2019, Monaco
The National Basketball Association (NBA) announced today that The NBA Global Camp 2019 presented by Association Sportive de Monaco, a pre-Draft showcase focusing on top Draft-eligible prospects from outside the U.S., will take place Thursday, May 30 – Sunday, June 2 at the Stade Louis II in Monaco.

The camp will include five-on-five games, shooting drills, and strength and agility testing in front of representatives from NBA teams, all under the direction of NBA personnel, along with team interview sessions and medical evaluations.

The camp will also feature a series of scrimmages between prospects from NBA Academies – the league’s network of elite basketball training centers around the world for top male and female prospects from outside the U.S. – along with two select teams of top U-18 prospects. Since October 2016, seven NBA Academies have been launched across Australia, China, India, Mexico and Senegal, and more than 10 NBA Academies graduates have committed to NCAA Division I schools.

https://sports.abs-cbn.com/nba/news/2019/05/03/nba-global-camp-2019-showcase-top-non-us-prospects-56398

Wow. Monaco...

May 29: NCAA Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline

June 10: NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline

June 20: NBA Draft 2019
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP 

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

R.C. has apparently been scouting Luka Samanic:
The Spurs’ offseason is not even a week old, but like always they are already doing their due diligence in preparing for the future. According to European sports site Sportando, R.C. Buford has been in Europe scouting Croatian forward and 2019 NBA Draft prospect Luka Samanic, who currently plays for Petrol Ljubljana of the Slovenian League and ABA League.

Samanic is a 19-year-old, 6’11”, 215-pound forward who is averaging 8.2 points and 5 rebounds on 44% from the field, 37% shooting from three this season. In the game Buford attended, Samanic put up 17 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks in a 79-77 win over Sencur.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/5/2/18526715/report-the-spurs-are-scouting-croatian-forward-luka-samanic?utm_campaign=poundingtherock&utm_content=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

R.C. Buford was in Slovenia scouting the young Croatian forward, according to reports. It’s early enough in the process that the Spurs might just be doing their due diligence and nothing more, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were actually intrigued by Samanic. It would make a lot of sense if they are, mostly for two reasons:

Samanic has a modern skill set that the Spurs lack

The Spurs have loaded up on young guards in recent years. They also have the rights to Nikola Milutinov, who is a traditional center, and Chimezie Metu, who is an athletic power forward who is at his best close to the basket. What they are sorely lacking is a forward with some range who can score on mismatches. Samanic has the potential to be that type of player.

Samanic’s outside shot gets most of the attention when describing his strengths as a prospect, for good reason, but that’s not his only offensive skill worth mentioning. Despite not having the strength to be a featured post player, Samanic has a decent face up game he can use against bigger, slower defenders and some tools to attack mismatches on the block. If he can bulk up a little, he could realistically punish guards on switches, unlike most stretch big men.

The Spurs might need a draft-and-stash prospect, and Samanic is a prime candidate

The Spurs will have two first round picks in the 2019 draft. They also already have 11 players under contract, will likely try to retain Rudy Gay and will have the mid-level exception to make an addition. They would have room for two rookies, but those guys would probably never make the active roster and it would give the team six players under 25. It could be tough to develop all of that young talent while trying to win.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/5/2/18527392/why-the-spurs-are-interested-in-luka-samanic

Sounds like a potentially more well rounded Davis. Interesting.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP 

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm

An interview with Luka posted in February. He presents himself well and has a good understanding of his game. I like his discussing being able to adapt, focusing on defense, being a floor spacer, and doing what the team needs:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 pm

At the 2019 Combine, Luka showing well:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Well, Luka was projected to be around an early 40s pick, so even at 49 he was a bit of a reach (maybe, mocks are just that), but since he's been doing so well at the combine, his stock has risen:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Sun May 19, 2019 12:11 am

While some players have used the Combine to showcase more of what they have to offer, others have chosen the cloaked approach. So along with Rui, these are some of the players who have also pulled out of the combine:
Read on Twitter

The more in-depth version:
Read on Twitter

Hunter isn't a surprise as he's projected as a high lotto pick, but I was hoping to see more of Matisse as he is a player I was looking at 29 for us. Sounds like he is now ahead of that spot. Both Rui and Matisse would benefit most from being in the right programs, and I think both would be great in ours, but their situations are all the more murky with their sitting out. Oh to get a glimpse of the work and intrigue going on behind the scenes.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Sun May 19, 2019 12:19 am

For those players who did participate in the Combine, here are their measurements:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Sun May 19, 2019 1:47 am

One mock has us selecting Charles Bassey at #19 which I think is way too high. His measurements are very similar to those of Bruno; these only mean so much, but at least show no concerns. If we are going PBA that fits character and culture-wise that also happens to fit the SF/PF and/or PF/C need, Bassey at a later/last pick may be an option, but unless he has an eye-raising showing, he is projected as late first (at best) and into the mid to late second round. He may go back to college depending on Combine feedback:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Bassey played in one of the five-on-five scrimmages broadcast live on ESPN2. He started that scrimmage alongside teammates Kris Wilkes (UCLA), Reggie Perry (Mississippi State), Jordan Bone (Tennessee) and Kyle Guy (Virginia).

Over 21 minutes, Bassey shot 1-of-6 from the floor, 0-of-1 from 3-point range and 3-of-4 from the foul stripe. He tallied five points, four rebounds and one block against one turnover.

WKU coach Rick Stansbury spoke Wednesday night at Indian Hills Country Club about Bassey and his future.

Stansbury said he’ll encourage Bassey to stay in the draft if he feels like he’ll be picked in the top 25. But he also said he hopes the big man “evaluates the facts” when making his draft decision.

“We’ve got to hope these teams when he goes through the combine say, ‘Charles, you’d benefit a bunch from going back to Western Kentucky for another year,’ ” Stansbury said.

Bassey said his goal is to stay in the draft and start his NBA career. But the reigning Conference USA Freshman of the Year and C-USA Defensive Player of the Year has options when it comes to his future.

“Just the way I play, I just feel like I can do this,” Bassey said of going pro. “I’m confident in myself. I love playing the game and am passionate about the game.”

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/bassey-still-evaluating-my-options-during-nba-draft-process/article_cf290f43-f450-513c-9ea2-2c2a0f26eebc.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 am

Some unexpected news about the Global Camp in Monaco - canceled:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

After conducting the camp in Treviso last year for its inaugural event, the Global Camp was moving to Monaco this year, and many NBA teams, players, families, agents and basketball industry executives have already booked their travel to the exotic but expensive destination.

The decision to withdraw leaves a significant void in the scouting calendar for both teams and players alike. A number of international agents told ESPN they only elected to enter their players' name into the draft pool in hopes they would be selected to play at the Global Camp, partially explaining why a record-breaking number of international players were on the early-entry list.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26803062/nba-cancels-global-camp-2019-last-minute

Wow. Awkward to say the least. Must be so disappointing for players who had hoped to showcase their talents to scouts. I wonder whether something else comparable can be put together before the draft?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 am

Back to our draft prospects on this side of the ocean, a couple of mocks have us selecting Nicolas Claxton at #29, a thin but athletic, versatile, and promising big on both ends.

His Combine 5-on-5 stats:
Read on Twitter

During his sophomore year at Georgia, the 6-foot-11 forward led the SEC in blocks, finishing with the second-most defensive rebounds in the conference as well.... With an average of 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals per game, his defensive presence was certainly felt for the Bulldogs. He bragged the fifth-best defensive box plus-minus in the SEC, leading his team with the best defensive rating and the most defensive win shares.

But on the offensive side of the glass, he showed an ability to stretch the floor as a spot-up shooter. Claxton scored almost 20 percent of his points on jump shots, per Synergy Sports Tech. According to The Stepien, the forward also connected on 34.0 percent of his three-pointers from NBA distance.

Among all Division-I players in Power 5 Conferences who recorded as many opportunities facing defenders one-on-one, only Grant Williams (1.32 PPP) averaged more points per possession than Claxton did (1.23 PPP) during the regular season.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-lottery-results/

He seems a bit shy (an observation, not a criticism), but I like that he stresses defense first, and versatility, and is forthright about what he has to work on to get better. He also may return to college, but it sounds like he is leaving a good impression and I think he will stay in the draft. He mentioned how he has already worked out for us before the Combine. Some Spurs draft news confirmed!:

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#12 » by Ferulci » Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Bulls fan here. I really like Rui Hachimura for you guys. With the right organization and coaching environment, he could be a allstar player. Recent news seem to indicate that he won't be there at 19 but I believe that if there is a draft where you can trade up, it's that one.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Thu May 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Ferulci wrote:Bulls fan here. I really like Rui Hachimura for you guys. With the right organization and coaching environment, he could be a allstar player. Recent news seem to indicate that he won't be there at 19 but I believe that if there is a draft where you can trade up, it's that one.

For sure, thanks! Rui was the first guy I mentioned here, but even at that point he was fast rising up mocks (at one point, he was also linked to your Bulls, but it looks as if you've zeroed in on a PG now). Some still have him at #19 but he's skipped the Combine and is being linked to a lotto team (word is Wolves).

When we drafted Dejounte, he was one of the players we were willing to trade up to get. Luckily he fell to us. Although we also lucked out with Lonnie dropping about five or so spots to us last year, I doubt that will be the case with Rui. It's so intriguing because his attitude and overall skill set stands out to many as such a good fit for us. I think he fits a need but also style of play since we seem to be getting out of locked-in positions to more versatility. But moving up from #19 to #11 (assuming this is the case) is really steep, and of course, both parties have to agree.

Too early to tell, though, what players and where are locked in beyond the first three. People say this is a flat draft after that trio, but I think there is a lot of talent after them, and it'll be about the right fit to get the most out of a player. Good luck!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#14 » by taj2133 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
taj2133
General Manager

Post#15 » by taj2133 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter
taj2133
General Manager

Post#16 » by taj2133 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
taj2133
General Manager

Post#17 » by taj2133 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#18 » by Ferulci » Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
Ferulci wrote:Bulls fan here. I really like Rui Hachimura for you guys. With the right organization and coaching environment, he could be a allstar player. Recent news seem to indicate that he won't be there at 19 but I believe that if there is a draft where you can trade up, it's that one.

For sure, thanks! Rui was the first guy I mentioned here, but even at that point he was fast rising up mocks (at one point, he was also linked to your Bulls, it looks as if you've zeroed in on a PG now). Some still have him at #19 but he's skipped the Combine and is being linked to a lotto team (word is Wolves).

When we drafted Dejounte, he was one of the players we were willing to trade up to get. Luckily he fell to us. Although we also lucked out with Lonnie dropping about five or so spots to us last year, I doubt that will be the case with Rui. It's so intriguing because his attitude and overall skill set stands out to many as such a good fit for us. I think he fits a need but also style of play since we seem to be getting out of locked-in positions to more versatility. But moving up from #19 to #11 (assuming this is the case) is really steep, and of course, both parties have to agree.

Too early to tell, though, what players and where are locked in beyond the first three. People say this is a flat draft after that trio, but I think there is a lot of talent after them, and it'll be about the right fit to get the most out of a player. Good luck!

Truth be told, I'm all for Bulls trading down and picking him (or Doumbouya) at 10. For PG, I'd rather sign a vet in the offseason like Pat Berveley.
You think that adding someone like Forbes could allow you to trade up or is he (along Dejounte) the foundation of the next great Spurs team ?
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Ferulci wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

For sure, thanks! Rui was the first guy I mentioned here, but even at that point he was fast rising up mocks (at one point, he was also linked to your Bulls, it looks as if you've zeroed in on a PG now). Some still have him at #19 but he's skipped the Combine and is being linked to a lotto team (word is Wolves).

Truth be told, I'm all for Bulls trading down and picking him (or Doumbouya) at 10. For PG, I'd rather sign a vet in the offseason like Pat Berveley.
You think that adding someone like Forbes could allow you to trade up or is he (along Dejounte) the foundation of the next great Spurs team ?

Lots at play for you guys if they open it to signing a vet at that position (getting one to agree is the other side of the coin; not that Bulls can't, but it has to be the right fit and not overpay for it). You've got a nice young core to build with. I guess the Bulls are about getting guys in various positions to grow together. If they feel a PG/G is PBA, then two birds, one stone. I think Culver is a big talent, for instance, and if he falls to #7, it opens options of draft/trade. Sekou, if developed well, can be one of the steals of the draft.

I'm partial to Bryn because he's done so well to get ready and step up when we needed him. Spurs told him to get stronger after he wilted a bit mid-last season, and he did that plus looked more smooth as if he internalized the system far better. He makes quicker decisions of whether to shoot or drive; added a physical drive and floater; added shot off dribble; great 3 shooter; responsible defensively; great team mate. Even at my best defending him last season I did not expect he'd play all 82 games (start 81) plus playoffs, and become one of if not the most consistent player. His numbers all up across the board. He became a big bargain at $3.125M. Great story of an undrafted player to Spurs starter in dire time of need.

That said, we've got a LOT of guards, and the keepers are Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie (still quite raw, frankly) for the future. With Dejounte returning, I expect him and Derrick to start at 1&2. Bryn made a big leap from last season to this one, and he is definitely a bigger trade bait after this season than last. I don't know, though, how many spots up that brings us. But he isn't the only one on a friendly contract we can dangle, so some combination I expect will be explored. Like Kyle Anderson last season who had to fill in as starter and got some attention from other teams, Bryn may have played too well for us to keep him long-term (plus, would he be willing to go back to most likely being a bench player after a break out season?); weighing his current value and future ceiling, and looking at the talent we have in the position, I'd hate to see him go, but if it makes the team better long-term, he is a likelier candidate.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am

taj2133 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thanks for these, taj. Looks like Goga, KJ and Kabengele may be within our ranges, although these are still quite disparate for all three. I've seen Goga in the lottery all the way to late first round. Hard to get a feel for a closer range within which they'll settle into. I'm not crazy about us picking Herro as we have so many SGs and a couple of pure shooters at that. Others are great defenders, so hopefully we go with a BPA that fits a clear need (3/4).
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs