Hawks Board Non-Sports Talk

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Re: Hawks Board Non-Sports Talk 

Post#1061 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Just don't send Ivan over there. I've kinda grown to like not walking on rubble every day.

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#1062 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm finally ready to complain about how non-sensical Game of Throines has become over the last few seasons...

This ain't the show I signed up for. (non-spoiler version)

No One Knows What Makes a Good Episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ Anymore

The more central the show has become to pop culture, the less agreement there has been on what keeps it there

For a television show that still has the unparalleled capacity to bring audiences together in historic numbers, Game of Thrones has proved critically divisive in its final season. What widespread consensus there currently is around latter-day Thrones holds that the series’ M.O. has radically changed, an evolution that can be traced to a couple of inflection points. First, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss overtook the source material of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire novels, around Season 6.

The results of Thrones’ new reality have been extensively cataloged, including: accelerated travel times, skipped-over integral conversations...and ambiguous pacing around seemingly significant plot drivers.
The Ringer
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#1063 » by EazyRoc » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 am

This season definitely feels rushed. In fact they could have reasonably split the events of this season into two seasons and fleshed them out more.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1064 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 13, 2019 11:43 am

EazyRoc wrote:This season definitely feels rushed. In fact they could have reasonably split the events of this season into two seasons and fleshed them out more.

:nod: :nod:

Apparently, in an interview earlier this year, GRR Martin stated his story has like 5 seasons worth of story telling left in it. The show runners were just ready to be finished with the show and jammed all that into a couple of short seasons instead.

Spoiler:
George R.R. Martin wrote:The series has-- has-- been extremely faithful, compared to 97 percent of all television and movie adaptations of literary properties. But it's not completely faithful. And-- and it can't be. Otherwise, it would have to run another five seasons.
CBS News

And it really shows.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#1065 » by lethalweapon3 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm

All the DeBore jokes aside, those of us who got too used to Atlanta scoring 3+ goals a game are coming around to this new defensive stalwart approach. Congrats on making MLS history!

Read on Twitter

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#1066 » by EazyRoc » Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm

lethalweapon3 wrote:All the DeBore jokes aside, those of us who got too used to Atlanta scoring 3+ goals a game are coming around to this new defensive stalwart approach. Congrats on making MLS history!

Read on Twitter

~lw3

Who watches soccer for clean sheets ? :lol:

I miss Tata and Miggy. We used to fun to watch. That’s the brand of soccer that was giving us top 10-ish attendance numbers in the WORLD.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#1067 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2019 3:13 am

The Music Midtown lineup was released.
Enjoy if YOU go!

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#1068 » by jayu70 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1069 » by jayu70 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 am

GoT Season 8.....
Spoiler:
:nonono: :nonono:
I'll read the books now!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1070 » by jayu70 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 am

jayu70 wrote:GoT Season 8.....
Spoiler:
:nonono: :nonono:
I'll read the books now!

Spoiler:
Bran the Broken King of the 6 realms, Sansa Queen of the North, Arya the Explorer, Jon King, beyond the wall.

The Starks Rule!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1071 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

jayu70 wrote:
Spoiler:
Bran the Broken King of the 6 realms, Sansa Queen of the North, Arya the Explorer, Jon King, beyond the wall.

The Starks Rule!!!

Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm a bit dismayed by all the pro-Stark propaganda.

NOTE: Every House that sat on the Iron Throne, as leader of Westeros, was destroyed by in-fighting.

The Targaryens, The Baratheons, Lannisters, Tyrells.

I thought that was the point of the whole story. This ending...undermines the first 5 years of the show and all of the books. :dontknow:

And why is Bronn the richest man in the country now?

Such weird narrative choices by the showrunners.
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#1072 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 am

Spoiler:
This ending was the most unsatisfying ending to 8 years invested. Nothing about this ending really made all those years I watched feel rewarded. I’m literally feeling like I will never invest time into an HBO series ever again. Why on earth would you rush your best TV show off the air in such a terrible way ?

Cersei died in an unsatisfying way. Cmon man..

They missed the mark the way the killed Danaerys.

Bran becoming King kind of worked for me, but still had a “meh” factor to it.

Grey Worm letting John Snow live felt like a cop out.

Grey Worm actually letting them decide who to be king while controlling the best military force in the country was a head scratcher.

Arya Stark traveling west seems like a cheap attempt at a spin off and didn’t make a lot of sense to me for her character.

Sansa Stark brings Queen in the North made sense, but I think I would’ve felt better if she was Queen if it all.

John Snow going North to be Nights Watch Commander was OK. It begs the question what’s the purpose of the Nights Watch now anyways.

I like Bronn coming up as the lord of high garden though. It’s been foreshadowed for a long time that he would go from scoundrel to lord.

Overall though...HBO kind of screwed their viewers over with such a horrible last season and didn’t even end the show off in a satisfying or memorable way. They get a D from me.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1073 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
Spoiler:
This ending was the most unsatisfying ending to 8 years invested. Nothing about this ending really made all those years I watched feel rewarded. I’m literally feeling like I will never invest time into an HBO series ever again. Why on earth would you rush your best TV show off the air in such a terrible way ?

Overall though...HBO kind of screwed their viewers over with such a horrible last season and didn’t even end the show off in a satisfying or memorable way. They get a D from me.

HBO didn't want it to end. It's their cash cow. The showrunners decided to wrap things up. And some of the actors/producers were also ready to move on.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Those are the guys responsible for the last few years of the show.
Spoiler:
Game of Thrones' harshest critics have suggested that, without George RR Martin's books to use as source material, the show's last 13 episodes have felt like a more cartoonish, less nuanced version of the series.

It's certainly interesting to note that, while the television series was already moving away from Martin's books and including more and more original material, it was after production of the sixth season – at which point the five completed novels had been more or less exhausted – that Benioff and Weiss made public their decision to wrap up the TV show.

And it was very explicitly *their* decision. "There's probably a world where we could have milked this thing for another eight seasons, and that would have been very lucrative for all of us," producer Bryan Cogman said. "But [Benioff and Weiss] really wanted to go out on a good high point."

It's no surprise that HBO was in no rush to see its biggest money-maker come to an end. "HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season," Benioff told EW in April of this year.
HERE
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1074 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1075 » by jayu70 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:20 pm

For you @kg01

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26795677/pastner-accusers-face-criminal-fraud-chargeProsecutors in Arizona have filed criminal charges against a couple that accused Georgia Tech basketball coach Josh Pastner of sexually assaulting the woman in a hotel room in February 2016.

According to Oro Valley Magistrate Court records, Ron Bell, Pastner's former friend, was charged Friday with providing false information to law enforcement and facilitation of a fraud scheme practice.

Bell and his girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley, are accused of being "engaged in a plan or scheme ... to allege a false, fraudulent accusation of sexual assault against Josh Pastner with the goal of obtaining an anticipated civil monetary settlement/judgment,"
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1076 » by jayu70 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:17 am

Morgan Freeman reviews GoT.
Spoiler:

If you love Shawshank, you'll love this

My Faves
Spoiler:
"Never have I so celebrated the death of a child" :lol:
"...leaving his dead father on the **** before he even had time to flush"
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1077 » by Spud2nique » Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am

jayu70 wrote:Morgan Freeman reviews GoT.
Spoiler:

If you love Shawshank, you'll love this

My Faves
Spoiler:
"Never have I so celebrated the death of a child" :lol:
"...leaving his dead father on the **** before he even had time to flush"

Theon...possibly the stupidest man that ever lived. :lol: :lol: Oh this is awesome. Great stuff Bird!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#1078 » by kg01 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:15 pm

jayu70 wrote:For you @kg01

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26795677/pastner-accusers-face-criminal-fraud-chargeProsecutors in Arizona have filed criminal charges against a couple that accused Georgia Tech basketball coach Josh Pastner of sexually assaulting the woman in a hotel room in February 2016.

According to Oro Valley Magistrate Court records, Ron Bell, Pastner's former friend, was charged Friday with providing false information to law enforcement and facilitation of a fraud scheme practice.

Bell and his girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley, are accused of being "engaged in a plan or scheme ... to allege a false, fraudulent accusation of sexual assault against Josh Pastner with the goal of obtaining an anticipated civil monetary settlement/judgment,"

Heeey, why's this "for me"?

But yeah, this has been going on the last 2 years basically. The guy is bat-sh*t crazy, threatened Pastner's family and everything. He and his gf belong in jail and it's a shame folks in the media like Gary Parrish gave the guy a forum to speak about GT and Pastner.

Last year IIRC Parrish interviewed the guy on his radio show. This was at the height of the me-too stuff so both the guy and Parrish had an attention-agenda. After it turned out it be 100% false, nothing. Just left Pastner's name tarnished.

I'm no Pastner fan but that wasn't right.

Funny thing is the guy's uncle actually mentored Kenny Anderson years ago so KA (who's upset that GT/Pastner didn't hire him, I guess) had been defending the crazy guy.

GT bball is a freaking soap opera.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1079 » by jayu70 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:02 pm

kg01 wrote:

But yeah, this has been going on the last 2 years basically. The guy is bat-sh*t crazy, threatened Pastner's family and everything. He and his gf belong in jail and it's a shame folks in the media like Gary Parrish gave the guy a forum to speak about GT and Pastner.

Last year IIRC Parrish interviewed the guy on his radio show. This was at the height of the me-too stuff so both the guy and Parrish had an attention-agenda. After it turned out it be 100% false, nothing. Just left Pastner's name tarnished.

Funny thing is the guy's uncle actually mentored Kenny Anderson years ago so KA (who's upset that GT/Pastner didn't hire him, I guess) had been defending the crazy guy.

All for you Caaagey....hv you caught up on GoT
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#1080 » by kg01 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

All for you Caaagey....hv you caught up on GoT

All but the last episode which I hope to get in tonight.
king01 :king:

Return to Atlanta Hawks