All things number 4. Trade or draft? Let the rumors begin

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Re: All things number 4. Trade or draft? Let the rumors begin 

Post#301 » by ROballer » Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Atlhawks09 wrote:
ROballer wrote:Of course they would... they just selected Trae Young, they don't need a PG. They need a C as well but they know they have two lottery picks and Hayes will probably be around for the second one.

But their dire need is clearly a good wing. They don't have basically anyone. And Jarrett Culver is the best wing in the draft, I don't want to hear anyone's crap around here, he has the complete package. Can do absolutely anything on the court, while Hunter and Barrett can't. They have their ups but also downs. Culver doesn't. Score(on the ball and off the ball, good midrange game, ELITE DRIVER!!!! He was the best driver in the country, gets FT'S, anything you want), defend, rebound, pass, he checks all the boxes.

Hawks have Kevin Huerter who’s the long term SG next to Trae. I like Culver but his shot scares me. 25% from 3 over his last 26 games and the Hawks prioritize shooting. I’d be surprised if it’s true...I think Hawks keep both picks.

Had 25% from 3 because coach put the ball in his hands and acted like the primary ball handler. He was basically the PG. Different shots that he used to take in his freshman and first part of sophomore year.
He can hit the 3 at a decent clip, I have no concerns whatsoever.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#302 » by Gus McCrae » Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
Why is only drafting the pick considered a gift? If we could get say..... 2 top stars and part with the pick we're a much better team. A top 5 draft pick is by no means a sure thing. Russell was only the 5th top 5 pick since 2000 to make an all star team and only 2 of the others have made multiple ones.

Maybe I’m reading wrong. Russelll was #2 and there’s been tons of top 5 picks making all star teams since 2000.

OK. Let's look at picks 2-4 in the last 10 drafts. ( I didn't write that as I intended, I was trying to make a point about depth in drafts).
2009: Harden
2010: None
2011: None
2012: Beal
2013: None
2014: Embiid
2015: Russell, Portzingis
2016: None
2017: None
2018: None

Number 2 picks overall (since Russell was a number 2) Durant and Aldridge are the only multi year all stars t number 2 in 18 years!
2000: No
2001: Chandler
2002: No
2003: No
2004: No
2005: No
2006: Aldridge
2007: Durant (number 1 didn't however)
2008: No
2009: No
2010: No
2011: No
2012: No
2013: Oladipo
2014: No
2015: Russell
2016: No
2017: No
2018: No

So.... I'd say the idea that having the 4th pick (or even the second for that matter) is no guarantee of an impact player.

I'd say if you could trade for one.... one that actually matches your needs then it would be foolish not to.

I knew I was misunderstanding. The #1 picks are basically all all stars. This makes sense.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#303 » by warren weel im » Wed May 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Lakers should select Coby White at #4. Phoenix wants a PG, Chicago wants a PG. Washington might need one. There's a good chance he is their target beside Darius Garland.

Hear me out.

Pick #4 is a solid asset on house money. Basically, the Lakers almost-never (apparently not never) and only had a 2.8% chance of landing the 4th pick. We were solidly at 11, and big possibility of falling to 12. Basically our range of players was different. Projected 8-10 would be considered out of reach and picking 11-12-13-14 range is to be expected.

We all know that Pick 4 is something that would be coveted by other teams. However, you cannot use this pick in a trade on draft day to get an all-star because that would mean losing the necessary cap space to sign your max guy. Not to mention it would include Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma or Lonzo Ball. Not ideal.

Since you are basically picking for another team, you might as well take the guy who has a market (already received a promise at the combine) already set for him. Also, his speed and shooting abilities will fit beside Lebron! If you land 1A Kawhi Leonard, he fits. If its 1B Kyrie Irving, you run him as your bench PG. Either way, White fits everywhere and there will be teams looking to land him with their stars after you land Lebron's running mate. Oh and Washington, Chicago and Phoenix want one and Garland is the lone PG outside White in the top 15.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#304 » by Ball so hard » Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm

warren weel im wrote:Lakers should select Coby White at #4. Phoenix wants a PG, Chicago wants a PG. Washington might need one. There's a good chance he is their target beside Darius Garland.

Hear me out.

Pick #4 is a solid asset on house money. Basically, the Lakers almost-never (apparently not never) and only had a 2.8% chance of landing the 4th pick. We were solidly at 11, and big possibility of falling to 12. Basically our range of players was different. Projected 8-10 would be considered out of reach and picking 11-12-13-14 range is to be expected.

We all know that Pick 4 is something that would be coveted by other teams. However, you cannot use this pick in a trade on draft day to get an all-star because that would mean losing the necessary cap space to sign your max guy. Not to mention it would include Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma or Lonzo Ball. Not ideal.

Since you are basically picking for another team, you might as well take the guy who has a market (already received a promise at the combine) already set for him. Also, his speed and shooting abilities will fit beside Lebron! If you land 1A Kawhi Leonard, he fits. If its 1B Kyrie Irving, you run him as your bench PG. Either way, White fits everywhere and there will be teams looking to land him with their stars after you land Lebron's running mate. Oh and Washington, Chicago and Phoenix want one and Garland is the lone PG outside White in the top 15.

I understand your logic, but I think that would be an extremely risky approach for the Lakers. Your approach would only work if the Lakers had complete accurate information, i.e it is a known fact Team X will pick Player B irrespective of what other team does... this is obviously make believe as this almost never happens in reality.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#305 » by Danny Darko » Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Bol Bol came in at 208 and his interviews were awful citing attitude problems and lack of work ethic.

D Garland step right up!
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#306 » by TyCobb » Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Hunter
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#307 » by Kilroy » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 pm

I have a feeling Barrett may be available at 4... Which may be because they took Hunter or Garland, but assuming all three are still on the board (and we haven't already traded the pick), who do you take?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
carjoch_831
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#308 » by carjoch_831 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Kilroy wrote:I have a feeling Barrett may be available at 4... Which may be because they took Hunter or Garland, but assuming all three are still on the board (and we haven't already traded the pick), who do you take?

Hunter... impacts both ends of the floor, versatile, plays the right way and gives effort. Barrett to me is a "chucker". We already have Kuzma to take RJ with the 4th pick.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#309 » by Danny Darko » Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:I have a feeling Barrett may be available at 4... Which may be because they took Hunter or Garland, but assuming all three are still on the board (and we haven't already traded the pick), who do you take?

I just don't like Barret's response to Zion being out, his being a scorer with a crappy FT% and TO ratio, and his ball dominance.

Hunter is a winner, a true 3 and D, who can shoot of the dribble or catch, and between physical maturity and IQ is probably the most prepared to contribute asap.

Garland is like a twitchier Nick Van Exel to me.

In a vacuum- I think we need a guard more than a rangy wing so I like Garland, but considering the state of the team I think we will be more inclined to get Hunter. Hunter is also a more Vogel pick.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#310 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Rj choked when last seen. Hopefully he can overcome that
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#311 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 am

Hahaha

Read on Twitter
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#312 » by Lakers24gm » Thu May 23, 2019 1:25 am

Reddish will go top 5. I think teams will love him in a gym shooting alone. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lakers love him.
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#313 » by magicbesteva » Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 am

I would not be mad if the Lakers took Reddish at 4. He has all the tools to be a big time player in the league. Just has to grow as a player. I can see why Jay Williams said he has the potential to be the best player in this draft.

My top 3 for the Lakers to take with the No. 4 pick are:

1. Garland
2. Barrett
3. Reddish
No name
Junior
And1: 117

Post#314 » by No name » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 am

Danny Darko wrote:

I just don't like Barret's response to Zion being out, his being a scorer with a crappy FT% and TO ratio, and his ball dominance.

Hunter is a winner, a true 3 and D, who can shoot of the dribble or catch, and between physical maturity and IQ is probably the most prepared to contribute asap.

Garland is like a twitchier Nick Van Exel to me.

In a vacuum- I think we need a guard more than a rangy wing so I like Garland, but considering the state of the team I think we will be more inclined to get Hunter. Hunter is also a more Vogel pick.

A twitchier NVE? Give me that. That's a star in today's NBA
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#315 » by Spens1 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:19 am

Barrett and then run. Or at least start playing hardball with the Pelicans (honestly i'd be ok with keeping him as our starting S.G as well).
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,412

Post#316 » by Slava » Thu May 23, 2019 9:14 am

Garland has an immediate role as a Lou Williams style scorer off the bench for the team right now. His ability to pull up and shoot as well as manipulate pick and rolls gives us a different dimension at lead ball handler aside from Zo and would make the pain of losing D'Angelo much easier.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#317 » by Michael Lucky » Thu May 23, 2019 1:40 pm

magicbesteva wrote:I would not be mad if the Lakers took Reddish at 4. He has all the tools to be a big time player in the league. Just has to grow as a player. I can see why Jay Williams said he has the potential to be the best player in this draft.

1. Garland
2. Barrett
3. Reddish

He shot 35% at the college level. I dont think people understand how terrible that is. He shot 39% on 2s........
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#318 » by LAKESHOW » Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Im enjoying the debate. Really having that 4th slot is a blessing. We have options! Can you imagine if we had 11? This thread would be 2 pages long.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#319 » by magicbesteva » Thu May 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
magicbesteva wrote:I would not be mad if the Lakers took Reddish at 4. He has all the tools to be a big time player in the league. Just has to grow as a player. I can see why Jay Williams said he has the potential to be the best player in this draft.

1. Garland
2. Barrett
3. Reddish

He shot 35% at the college level. I dont think people understand how terrible that is. He shot 39% on 2s........

I know the numbers say he can’t shoot but the kid can shoot. Reddish has a pure smooth shooting stroke. He just had to settle down. It seemed like he rushed when he had the ball.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#320 » by kobe808lak » Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Cam Reddish is awful at basketball, hard pass.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers