18%

Total votes: 17

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Re: The problem with making a Big 3 

Post#21 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:Why can't we have Ingram OR "The real King" Kuz as a 3rd star player?

It's possible, I think that should be the angle to go for personally.

Get the max FA, keep the team together and then trade to get the best fit during the season.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Mon May 27, 2019 6:27 am

Get a center. We have the rest.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#23 » by tv24lakers » Mon May 27, 2019 10:38 am

I’m in favor of building around two all-stars, Lebron and ___, and acquiring player _____ preferably through trade.
The trade route lends for more flexibility to build a balanced roster while holding onto one or two of our key young talents. Moreover by maintaining those young assets, seemingly we have improved roster continuity and chemistry.

I get the feeling that everyone wants to try and fast track GSW’s success, disregarding that there team wasn’t built overnight.
With GSW on the forefront let’s talk about their future. Should they be successful in resigning Klay, maintain their bench, and remain healthy they’re a lock to return to the finals next year. I question however if they’re going to keep there core together next summer when Draymond is a free agent. Draymond rightfully want super max money, which I doubt GSW can afford as it would put there salary situation over $100m on 3 players alone. Additionally, rumors are that Iggy intends to retire within two years. So if one of their 3 go down for injury they are screwed.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,164

Post#24 » by SlimShady83 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:19 pm

You don't build around Bron he only has 2--3 years left.

SIgn a max FA if possible And "I" have a feeling we'll trade for Beal and then you build around what ever Max FA we end up getting and Beal + hopefully either King Kuz or Ingram

Building around - I really hope we can get Kyrie he only like 27/28? And as much as I like BAll if we get Kyrie we can use BAll to get Beal or other trade

Ater Bron goes you then start building around these 3 guys :) Kyrie will be 31 ish when bron goes, so still plenty of time left - not sure on age? But of course Kahwi is #! choice :)

Kyrie OR other Max FA - Kahwi, Klay etc etc - just not Butler
Beal
Kuzma

Not a bad 3 to start a building block and maybe, just maybe we can still get AD in FA 2020 if he still wants to come by then?"
Bring back Defense
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#25 » by tv24lakers » Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:You don't build around Bron he only has 2--3 years left.

SIgn a max FA if possible And "I" have a feeling we'll trade for Beal and then you build around what ever Max FA we end up getting and Beal + hopefully either King Kuz or Ingram

Building around - I really hope we can get Kyrie he only like 27/28? And as much as I like BAll if we get Kyrie we can use BAll to get Beal or other trade

Ater Bron goes you then start building around these 3 guys :) Kyrie will be 31 ish when bron goes, so still plenty of time left - not sure on age? But of course Kahwi is #! choice :)

Kyrie OR other Max FA - Kahwi, Klay etc etc - just not Butler
Beal
Kuzma

Not a bad 3 to start a building block and maybe, just maybe we can still get AD in FA 2020 if he still wants to come by then?"

The notion of building around 3 All Stars (Lebron +2 other FA grabs) is great if the NBA decided to do away w/ the salary cap or altered the game in a way that essentially the starting five is all you truly need.
My biggest contention with this approach is that stars get burned out and going to your second unit would be disastrous.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,164

Post#26 » by SlimShady83 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 pm

From what I'm hearing, Lakers can afford 1 full max FA and if they make a trade for someone, they can get another star?

could be wrong? but that's what i'm hearing
Bring back Defense
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#27 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 am

SlimShady83 wrote:From what I'm hearing, Lakers can afford 1 full max FA and if they make a trade for someone, they can get another star?

could be wrong? but that's what i'm hearing

Theoretically, if prioritized, the Lakers should be able to afford 1 max FA, and trade assets in exchange for another star player. Let’s say this other star via trade is on a equitable contract, meaning he’s earning $20m or more, the cumulative salary of Lebron and the two other stars would likely be in $95-100m range, leaving us with not much to fill the roster. While I’m down for creativity, I could see the roster gaps then being filled by g-league type players. & as I said previously, this is recipe that will burnout stars as the bench would be such a liability. With the overwork stars comes a higher probability of injury.
Like I said the GSW powerhouse was built overtime through skillful draft pickups and some luck. I don’t think we can replicate that success over 1 summer.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by stan francisco » Tue May 28, 2019 5:09 am

The only problem making a Big 3 is keeping the band together.

We already have our Big 4 if you add Kuzma to the party.

There’s no doubt in my mind about this:
Lonzo, future all-star; Ingram, future all-star; Kuzma, future all-star; James, perennial all-star. Is being an all-star what merits a player as a ‘Big..’ member?

Get us Vucevic or Nurkic or better at the C, allow the kids another season to grow. I’m sure they’re dying to show the league what they are becoming.

If we get Leonard or Klay, we’d be stupid not to package one of Kuz or Ingram with the 4th pick and fillers for a top five Center.

Lonzo, Leonard, Ingram, James, Vucevic (AD/Zion)
Lonzo, Leonard, James, Kuzma, Nurkic (AD/Zion)
Lonzo, Klay, Ingram, James, Vucevic (AD/Zion)
Lonzo, Klay, James, Kuzma, Nurkic (AD/Zion)

Either lineup is a contender, assuming a healthy roster.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#29 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 3:04 pm

stan francisco wrote:The only problem making a Big 3 is keeping the band together.

Lonzo, future all-star; Ingram, future all-star; Kuzma, future all-star; James, perennial all-star. Is being an all-star what merits a player as a ‘Big..’ member?

Get us Vucevic or Nurkic or better at the C, allow the kids another season to grow. I’m sure they’re dying to show the league what they are becoming.

If we get Leonard or Klay, we’d be stupid not to package one of Kuz or Ingram with the 4th pick and fillers for a top five Center.

Im down for some fantasy play. Rob Pelinka has some work to do to get this team assembled...
Kyrie, Klay, Leonard, KD, AD.
We trade Lebron & the current to acquire the above players.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by stan francisco » Tue May 28, 2019 5:38 pm

tv24lakers wrote:
stan francisco wrote:The only problem making a Big 3 is keeping the band together.

Im down for some fantasy play. Rob Pelinka has some work to do to get this team assembled...
Kyrie, Klay, Leonard, KD, AD.
We trade Lebron & the current to acquire the above players.

Even any of these lineups would be a contender.

Lonzo, Leonard, Ingram, James, JMG/Wagner
Lonzo, Leonard, James, Kuzma, JMG/Wagner
Lonzo, Klay, Ingram, James, JMG/Wagner
Lonzo, Klay, James, Kuzma, JMG/Wagner

Not exactly fantasy play. The idea being that we trade either Ingram or Kuzma with the number 4 pick and filler for the best center we can get. Kuzma behind James at the four means limited minutes for Kuz.

But yeah, if we get Leonard or Durant I’d trade Bron together with the 4th pick for AD in a second and keep both Kuz and Ingram.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers