**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1561 » by shrink » Sun May 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Downs Towns have the skill set to be Jokic? He shoots it well. Handles it well. Doesn’t screen as well, but can be learned. Seems like a willing passer. I would think the offensive philosophy will change and he won’t get as many post ups. But exchanges up high. Pick and roll. Pick and pop. Drive and dish. Drive and finish. 25/12/6 doesn’t seem unrealistic.

Towns is a better scorer than Jokic, but not nearly the passer, or screener or defensive player. He can close the gap in some of those areas. He can be just as good of a player, but it won’t necessarily be in the same way.

Has Jokic improved his defense a great deal this season?

Neither he or KAT were ever good defenders, but Jokic used to be one of the worst centers. I think a healthy Paul Milsap may be hiding that.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Post#1562 » by Worm Guts » Sun May 12, 2019 3:16 pm

shrink wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Downs Towns have the skill set to be Jokic? He shoots it well. Handles it well. Doesn’t screen as well, but can be learned. Seems like a willing passer. I would think the offensive philosophy will change and he won’t get as many post ups. But exchanges up high. Pick and roll. Pick and pop. Drive and dish. Drive and finish. 25/12/6 doesn’t seem unrealistic.

Towns is a better scorer than Jokic, but not nearly the passer, or screener or defensive player. He can close the gap in some of those areas. He can be just as good of a player, but it won’t necessarily be in the same way.

Has Jokic improved his defense a great deal this season?

Neither he or KAT were ever good defenders, but Jokic used to be one of the worst centers. I think a healthy Paul Milsap may be hiding that.

DRPM says he's middle of the pack. Statistically in general he seems to be middle of the pack compared to Towns actually being poor at that end.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#1563 » by minimus » Sun May 12, 2019 5:00 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26711063/jamal-murray-nikola-jokic-art-pick-roll

Some good ideas from this article.

In this new-age NBA world, where double-teams are scarce and switching is the norm, where 3-point shots are rampant and midrange jumpers are decried, the Nuggets have inverted the pick-and-roll by featuring sets in which Murray, the point guard, screens for Jokic, the big man.

"That's unheard of," Nuggets coach Mike Malone says. "It speaks to a couple of things: Nikola's ability to handle and make plays, but also the underrated fact that Jamal Murray is our best screener.

"They're not going to switch on a 1-5 pick-and-roll, so now you have Nikola coming off and making plays at the top of the floor," Malone says. "Teams can double-team him in the post, but when he's got the ball up top, he's unguardable. Because if you want to put two players on the ball, you've got Jamal, who is a pick-and-pop threat who can also drive to the basket. I've not seen anything like this in many, many years -- if ever."

I wish KAT has a teammate who has PnR ability of Murray (shooting, ball handling, passing, screen setting). Karl really has not had such luxury in MIN, which is really sad. Can NAW be that man?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1564 » by Klomp » Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm

I think people see the flashy passes Towns make and just think that he's a great passer. But I think the problem is that his pass selection is poor at times. He makes a lot of poor decisions with the basketball. Not saying he's a poor passer, but it's not at the level of a Jokic or even a Garnett. But that's okay, that doesn't have to be his role. It doesn't make him a worse player than Jokic, just someone with a different skill set. Jokic wouldn't be as effective if Denver used him like Towns is used either.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#1565 » by theGreatRC » Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Jokic is one of the best passing players of all time, just has beautiful touch at any range to get it right to your hands with either hand.

KG had a tremendous IQ and was very unselfish so he always knew where and who to move the ball to.

KAT is a dominant scorer that knows how to pass, CAN make the pass, but his pass selection/style at times is what gets him in trouble.

I remember he was on a fast break & it could have been a simple bounce pass towards the rim, but he bulleted a behind the back pass straight out of bounds. That's just one example, but he did that numerous times throughout the year..

I still think he'd excel in a point-center type role like Jokic is; KAT didn't win the skills comp for no reason, he just defers to the PG a lot because that's probably what the system calls for, but he should bring the ball up the court off boards more next year & let him make the decisions.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1566 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 pm

They've announced the All Rookie teams. First team was comprised of the first five players selected in last years draft. This has happened once before in the 1984-5 season. Anyway I'm thinking the announcement of the All NBA teams should be coming soon. My best guess is KAT gets a spot on team 3.
Zander
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1567 » by Zander » Tue May 21, 2019 11:37 pm

KGdaBom wrote:They've announced the All Rookie teams. First team was comprised of the first five players selected in last years draft. This has happened once before in the 1984-5 season. Anyway I'm thinking the announcement of the All NBA teams should be coming soon. My best guess is KAT gets a spot on team 3.

I honestly don't think Karl is going to get third team. Embiid 1, Joker 2, Rudy G 3rd. In my opinion Towns reputation really took a hit this year. Last year with Jimmy Butler they won 47 games , but this year Towns could only get Minn to 36. That's a rather telling indictment.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1568 » by shangrila » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Zander wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:They've announced the All Rookie teams. First team was comprised of the first five players selected in last years draft. This has happened once before in the 1984-5 season. Anyway I'm thinking the announcement of the All NBA teams should be coming soon. My best guess is KAT gets a spot on team 3.

I honestly don't think Karl is going to get third team. Embiid 1, Joker 2, Rudy G 3rd. In my opinion Towns reputation really took a hit this year. Last year with Jimmy Butler they won 47 games , but this year Towns could only get Minn to 36. That's a rather telling indictment.

No it isn't.

People seem to forget that Jimmy had Towns with him when he (apparently single-handedly) won 47 games. Towns got a couple games from a disgruntled and petulant Butler, then about 2 dozen games from his replacement (Covington) before having to handle the rest on his own. Honestly, does anyone think Butler even sniffs 47 wins again with 4 unhealthy PGs, an inconsistent starting rookie, 20 odd games from the replacement for Towns in this scenario and a typical Wiggins season? Give me a break.

This narrative is BS and needs to stop.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1569 » by King Malta » Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 am

shangrila wrote:
Zander wrote:

No it isn't.

People seem to forget that Jimmy had Towns with him when he (apparently single-handedly) won 47 games. Towns got a couple games from a disgruntled and petulant Butler, then about 2 dozen games from his replacement (Covington) before having to handle the rest on his own. Honestly, does anyone think Butler even sniffs 47 wins again with 4 unhealthy PGs, an inconsistent starting rookie, 20 odd games from the replacement for Towns in this scenario and a typical Wiggins season? Give me a break.

This narrative is BS and needs to stop.

Another account created in the last few days slamming KAT and positioning a 6ers player as the best at his position in the league.... :roll:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1570 » by Klomp » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM

Post#1571 » by shrink » Thu May 23, 2019 5:29 pm

I believe the NBA releases the All NBA winners in less than an hour, and we’ll find out if KAT takes that extra $5 mil of cap space.

I won’t complain if he gets it - it’s deserved.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#1572 » by Slim Tubby » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

shrink wrote:I believe the NBA releases the All NBA winners in less than an hour, and we’ll find out if KAT takes that extra $5 mil of cap space.

I won’t complain if he gets it - it’s deserved.

It basically comes down to KAT or Gobert for 3rd Team All NBA, correct?
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#1573 » by wildvikeswolves » Thu May 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Gobert gets the 3rd team spot. Poor KAT
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1574 » by Klomp » Thu May 23, 2019 6:40 pm

wildvikeswolves wrote:Gobert gets the 3rd team spot. Poor KAT

Not even a close race

Read on Twitter

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1575 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm

More motivation for KAT to get even better and more cap space for the Wolves.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1576 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Klomp wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:Gobert gets the 3rd team spot. Poor KAT

Not even a close race

Read on Twitter

Looks like Butler's character assassination of KAT was bought hook line and sinker by the Voters. IMO Gobert is not even on KAT's level, but he got 89 points while KAT only got 20. A shame for Kat, but the Wolves gave him every opportunity to win it so he can't complain.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1577 » by shrink » Thu May 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Gobert may win defensive MVP.

I thought it was a coin flip, only because of Towns bad start. Missing the playoffs is a big deal for many voters as well.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1578 » by MN7725 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm

KAT’s performance in playoffs last season soured people way more than the Butler drama, he wasn’t even listed on “player want to build around” in GM survey after being #1 season before
shrink
RealGM

Post#1579 » by shrink » Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Karl just missed out on $30 mil, not because of his stats, but perhaps because the Wolves didn’t make the playoffs.

Who does he blame most?

Wiggins?
Thibs?
Covington?
Taylor?
Jimmy Butler?
KAT himself?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1580 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 8:02 pm

shrink wrote:Gobert may win defensive MVP.

I thought it was a coin flip, only because of Towns bad start. Missing the playoffs is a big deal for many voters as well.

Gobert has a great shot at DPoY only because RoCo didn't play second half. I respect D very much, but even with DPoY I don't consider Gobert on KAT's level.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves