Turner snubbed for NBA All Defense

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Turner snubbed for NBA All Defense 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 am

Turner was at least as deserving as Gobert in my opinion, and definitely more deserving than this regular season's version of Leonard.

Does it have to do with the small market? With the lack of national interest in the team after Oladipo went down? With reputation mattering more than performance?

Whatever the issue: blah.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Turner snubbed for NBA All Defense 

Post#2 » by Vorda » Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 am

We wrote about this... he is average defender... poor rebounder, soft player and he was outplayed by every bigger guy under the rim.... he is good blocker snd that's it... there is no reason for him to crying... he just doesnt deserve to be in all defensive teams...

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 am

boomershadow wrote:Turner was at least as deserving as Gobert in my opinion, and definitely more deserving than this regular season's version of Leonard.

Does it have to do with the small market? With the lack of national interest in the team after Oladipo went down? With reputation mattering more than performance?

Utah isn’t exactly a big market team.

And as Caitlin Cooper pointed out, the fact that the entire team defended tremendously well likely went against the individuals, too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 am

Vorda wrote:We wrote about this... he is average defender... poor rebounder, soft player and he was outplayed by every bigger guy under the rim.... he is good blocker snd that's it... there is no reason for him to crying... he just doesnt deserve to be in all defensive teams...

Stop. He’s a tremendous defensive player, and really, he’s the 3rd team All Defensive Center. Gobert has been first team 3 years running now, and typically, with these awards, once guys make them, they keep making them off name recognition.
Vorda
Senior

Post#5 » by Vorda » Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:We wrote about this... he is average defender... poor rebounder, soft player and he was outplayed by every bigger guy under the rim.... he is good blocker snd that's it... there is no reason for him to crying... he just doesnt deserve to be in all defensive teams...

Stop. He’s a tremendous defensive player, and really, he’s the 3rd team All Defensive Center. Gobert has been first team 3 years running now, and typically, with these awards, once guys make them, they keep making them off name recognition.

No he is not.... M.Gasol, Capella, Drummond, Whiteside, Jordan... they are all better defenders...

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 am

I am quite surprised, to be honest. I was expecting at least a Third team inclusion given he led the league in blocks.

On the other hand, I kind of understand the rationale like what Vorda is saying. But that could be because he is not in his prime yet and his confidence is still lacking. There are too many times wherein I was expecting him to challenge a shot but he stayed put. He kind of hesitates on which shot to challenge and most of the time ends up just watching people score around him. It feels like if he wants to block a shot, then he will. But if not, then he won't. I am not sure if it is his motor, or if he is having troubles in his 2nd jump. I think there is something odd. But I think once he realizes these issues and work on it, he'd easily be a DPOY for years to come.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Fri May 24, 2019 8:10 am

There are times I swear we just can't be watching the same team.
Vorda
Senior

Post#8 » by Vorda » Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am

boomershadow wrote:

I have already post here numbers... I will put it again... he just cant defend bigger guys

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 am

Vorda wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

I have already post here numbers... I will put it again... he just cant defend bigger guys

Rim protection is more important in today's league than post defense by a mile. And given that he's 6'-11"/250 in a league that's trending small, there arent that many players bigger than him anyways.

I don't think not being able to guard Embiid is a knock against him. Nobody really can.
Vorda
Senior

Post#10 » by Vorda » Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 am

boomershadow wrote:
Vorda wrote:
boomershadow wrote:There are times I swear we just can't be watching the same team.

Rim protection is more important in today's league than post defense by a mile. And given that he's 6'-11"/250 in a league that's trending small, there arent that many players bigger than him anyways.

I don't think not being able to guard Embiid is a knock against him. Nobody really can.

Not only Embiid... what about Bayless, Jokić, Capella, Lopez, Nurkić, Gobert... he cant defend noone bigger...
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#11 » by 8305 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 am

Vorda wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
Vorda wrote:I have already post here numbers... I will put it again... he just cant defend bigger guys

Not only Embiid... what about Bayless, Jokić, Capella, Lopez, Nurkić, Gobert... he cant defend noone bigger...

FWIW, my recall of the two games we played Utah Turner and Sabonis dominated Gobert and nFavors
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

No he is not.... M.Gasol, Capella, Drummond, Whiteside, Jordan... they are all better defenders...

Except the nba disagrees. Myles has the 3rd highest vote total for centers. And if you think blocks are hollow stats, Then why’d you list some of the worst offenders of “only blocks, not actually defense”?
Vorda
Senior

Post#13 » by Vorda » Fri May 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Except the nba disagrees. Myles has the 3rd highest vote total for centers. And if you think blocks are hollow stats, Then why’d you list some of the worst offenders of “only blocks, not actually defense”?

I dont care... I Know ehat I have seen last year... soft defender Myles...
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#14 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm

He's third among C in voting, behind Gobert and Embiid

I'd say that's fair, actually

Granted he's an excellent shot blocker, but he does get pushed around quite a bit in the post when it comes to man to man defense

And we're not just talking about the Joel Embiids of the league either, Myles gets pushed around by the Jonas Valanciunas' and Steven Adams' of the league quite a bit, too

Even when it comes to shot blocking, he sometimes kind of picks his spots, he goes up for those shots that he has a decent chance of blocking (not that this is wrong)

But to truly be an elite shot blocker, he needs to be a lot more aggressive - sure Kyrie Irving talked about how his eye lit up when Myles went to the bench, but if Myles' defense is going to hinge on his shot blocking ability, he needs to have the mindset of an absolute predator
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#15 » by MUpacersSIC » Fri May 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Literally none of those guys were better defenders than Myles this year. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#16 » by Boneman2 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Turner is an amazing help defender but struggles at times in man-2-man. He recently turned 23 so I expect him to continue adding strength and then eventually he will be able to hold his ground. The good thing about him, and Sabonis for that matter(both the same age), is there is still plenty of untapped potential.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#17 » by Tom White » Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Turner is an amazing help defender but struggles at times in man-2-man. He recently turned 23 so I expect him to continue adding strength and then eventually he will be able to hold his ground. The good thing about him, and Sabonis for that matter(both the same age), is there is still plenty of untapped potential.

I hope you are right about his still unrealized potential. He has been in the league for four years now, so at what point do we start to say "he is who he is"? Another year? Two years? I'm really not sure.

I also agree with you about his man-to-man defense. He seems to do better as a helper or weak side defender.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#18 » by Boneman2 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Tom White wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Turner is an amazing help defender but struggles at times in man-2-man. He recently turned 23 so I expect him to continue adding strength and then eventually he will be able to hold his ground. The good thing about him, and Sabonis for that matter(both the same age), is there is still plenty of untapped potential.

I hope you are right about his still unrealized potential. He has been in the league for four years now, so at what point do we start to say "he is who he is"? Another year? Two years? I'm really not sure.

I also agree with you about his man-to-man defense. He seems to do better as a helper or weak side defender.

I've seen guys like Smits and Hibbert make tremendous strides between 23-27 yo, so I'm hoping the same will hold true for Myles. Thing is, Myles is much better than the pair at the age of 22, which indicates his ceiling is possibly higher.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun May 26, 2019 1:46 am

Tom White wrote:

By the end of this year, he completely added, from nowhere, the ability to side step on the perimeter and keep a guard in front of him. He never showed ANYTHING like that before and it was a massive weakness for him. Add in that he came into the nba at 19, and he’s still barely 23, and I’m willing to give him time. Other than surefire super duper big men, it usually takes big men time to develop. He’s no superstar yet, but he’s really good. If he develops any more, and adds more confidence on both ends, he could be really ridiculously good. Maybe never the best center in the nba, but neither was Smits, yet he more than held his own against Ewing, Shaq, and the like.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:40 pm

boomershadow wrote:Turner was at least as deserving as Gobert in my opinion, and definitely more deserving than this regular season's version of Leonard.

How stupid is it that the guy who lead the NBA in Blocked shots is not even mentioned? :crazy:

Return to Indiana Pacers