Mfiondu Kabengele

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: Mfiondu Kabengele 

Post#141 » by Catchall » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Fischella wrote:So you are building your board in relation to where he is going? WTF?

Tillie is easily a lotto talent and he is a junior, like he not building momentum in year 3 should have very little impact on a ranking, if you want to fualt him for the injury record that's another story

Tillie is skilled, but he's a pretty average athlete by NBA standards. He's not quite big or long enough to play at the 5 consistently, and it's a question how well he can defend on switches out on the floor. So he'd probably be a backup big for most teams. He's not as good as starting PFs like, say, Gallinari or Kevin Love. I think he goes 2nd round or tail end of the 1st round if some teams really likes him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#142 » by clyde21 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:26 am

Read on Twitter
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#143 » by GimmeDat » Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 am

I really do like Kabengele, but I was recently alerted to his concerningly low passing rate and that's turned off some. Not sure how much of a concern it should be, whether it was a function of role somewhat.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#144 » by EvanZ » Thu May 23, 2019 5:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:It's not just his age lol. JJJ is a generational prospect. You are doing a disservice to Kab to make that comp.

saying someone is similar doesn't mean they're saying they're as good

again, I get it from an archetype standpoint.

With JJJ you're getting a guy who can switch onto pretty much anyone. Pretty sure Kab does not have that ability and that alone makes him a very different prospect. Also Kab is a complete black hole on offense where JJJ has some vision and passing capability. I haven't really seen that yet from Kab.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kab. Clearly, I started this thread and it took over a month for anyone else to get in on him. But let's not get carried away here. There's a fairly slim chance he declares and if he does it's highly unlikely he's a lottery pick, although I may rank him there on my personal board.

Unless he just completely blows up in the tournament and takes FSU to the Elite 8 or something. :lol:

I brought up his complete lack of passing a while back. It's absolutely the main reason not to completely buy into the hype (which maybe I helped start here lol).
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#145 » by Stillwater » Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm

I think his floor is as low as Philly at 33 but could see a couple other orgs potentially picking him much higher ;Nets at 17 and Boston at 22 probably pretty interested depending on who's gone.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Catchall
RealGM

Post#146 » by Catchall » Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 am

As a Jazz fan, I'm interested in Kab at #23. I'm also interested in Darius Bazley, Talen Horton-Tucker and Luka Samanic though. I think Kab can play at both the 4 and the 5. Derrick Favors couldn't dribble or pass either when he came into the league. Kab doesn't have great ball skills, but he can do the basics.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#147 » by EvanZ » Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Catchall wrote:As a Jazz fan, I'm interested in Kab at #23. I'm also interested in Darius Bazley, Talen Horton-Tucker and Luka Samanic though. I think Kab can play at both the 4 and the 5. Derrick Favors couldn't dribble or pass either when he came into the league. Kab doesn't have great ball skills, but he can do the basics.

If Kab is ever a 4 your team is in trouble.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#148 » by Catchall » Sat May 25, 2019 12:46 am

EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:As a Jazz fan, I'm interested in Kab at #23. I'm also interested in Darius Bazley, Talen Horton-Tucker and Luka Samanic though. I think Kab can play at both the 4 and the 5. Derrick Favors couldn't dribble or pass either when he came into the league. Kab doesn't have great ball skills, but he can do the basics.

Disagree. He can guard out on the perimeter, knock down open shots with a quick release, roll to the rim, and run the floor like a forward. He just isn't a guy who can create off the dribble.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#149 » by Coeur » Sat May 25, 2019 12:50 am

Dieng Giorgio
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#150 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 25, 2019 1:28 am

Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Disagree. He can guard out on the perimeter, knock down open shots with a quick release, roll to the rim, and run the floor like a forward. He just isn't a guy who can create off the dribble.

I think in this era that's what you want out of your 5.. but at the 4 you need more passing/OTD stuff.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#151 » by clyde21 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:30 am

Kab would be way more valuable as a 5
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 385

Post#152 » by pad300 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:50 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I think in this era that's what you want out of your 5.. but at the 4 you need more passing/OTD stuff.

Depends on what you play for an offense and what your guards can do. Put him on SAS last year say:
LMA (5), Kabengele (4), Derozan (3), White (2), Forbes (1).

Offensively, the 4 needs to able to shoot (preferably from the 3), set screens and either pop or roll.

Defensively he needs to be versatile (kabengele might not be versatile enough, can he chase 3's on the perimeter) - able to guard on the perimeter and deal with big ball (The weakness of their 4's forced them into playing Poetl-Aldridge lineups in playoffs vs denver, who was using Jokic - Millsap). 4 is a very hard position defensively these days...
Catchall
RealGM

Post#153 » by Catchall » Sun May 26, 2019 1:45 am

Jazz have a workout tomorrow with Kabengele vs. Reid vs. Claxton vs. Williams with Ponds and Harper as PGs. Should be interesting.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#154 » by Kalela » Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 pm

The way he moves with the ball and even the way he dunks in this video reminds me of OG Anunoby. A bigger version of course. I like this kid. I would be happy if the Celtics took him at 22 or even 20.
Spoiler:
clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Fire Mazzulla
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#155 » by EvanZ » Tue May 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Why do people always want to make 5's into 4's? Do you guys actually watch NBA basketball? Kab is 6'11" 250 and you all want him to be a 4. LMAO.
pad300
Sixth Man

Post#156 » by pad300 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm

EvanZ wrote:Why do people always want to make 5's into 4's? Do you guys actually watch NBA basketball? Kab is 6'11" 250 and you all want him to be a 4. LMAO.

For the same reason that everyone wants every player to be able to play down. For physical advantage. If you have 2 size and can play (and defend) the 1, it makes you a better, more valuable player. If you have 5 size and can play enough on the perimeter (ie have enough mobility and a jumpshot) to be a 4, your valuable. Just like TD started his career at the 4...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#157 » by clyde21 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 pm

pad300 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Why do people always want to make 5's into 4's? Do you guys actually watch NBA basketball? Kab is 6'11" 250 and you all want him to be a 4. LMAO.

For the same reason that everyone wants every player to be able to play down. For physical advantage. If you have 2 size and can play (and defend) the 1, it makes you a better, more valuable player. If you have 5 size and can play enough on the perimeter (ie have enough mobility and a jumpshot) to be a 4, your valuable. Just like TD started his career at the 4...

Kab is a 5...just stop.
pad300
Sixth Man

Post#158 » by pad300 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:
pad300 wrote:

Kab is a 5...just stop.

You think he is less mobile than a 33 yr old LMA? Cause LMA was playing PF besides Poetl against Denver.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#159 » by clyde21 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:23 pm

pad300 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
pad300 wrote:For the same reason that everyone wants every player to be able to play down. For physical advantage. If you have 2 size and can play (and defend) the 1, it makes you a better, more valuable player. If you have 5 size and can play enough on the perimeter (ie have enough mobility and a jumpshot) to be a 4, your valuable. Just like TD started his career at the 4...

Kab is a 5...just stop.

You think he is less mobile than a 33 yr old LMA? Cause LMA was playing PF besides Poetl against Denver.

LMA played 95% of his snaps at C this year

welcome to 2019
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#160 » by EvanZ » Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 pm

pad300 wrote:

It's not a "physical advantage" to have slow plodding centers defend faster more mobile wings. Kab would be one of the slowest 4's in the NBA. It's just how it is. Sorry.

Return to NBA Draft