Re: All things number 4. Trade or draft? Let the rumors begin 

Post#321 » by NBAWestFan » Thu May 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Two Way Players
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#322 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 2:56 am

Is there a bulldog PF defender with range in this draft? Like a Millsap/Randle/Z-Bo, but with a three...?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#323 » by taj2133 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:34 am

Read on Twitter
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#324 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 am

stan francisco wrote:Is there a bulldog PF defender with range in this draft? Like a Millsap/Randle/Z-Bo, but with a three...?

Yes, Brandon Clarke, the guy the Lakers should be targetting.

Comparisons are Millsap and Siakam.

If you fancy yourself a contender you'll need a tall who can defend the perimeter for guys like Durant and Giannis.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#325 » by Penberthy » Sat May 25, 2019 5:15 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Is there a bulldog PF defender with range in this draft? Like a Millsap/Randle/Z-Bo, but with a three...?

Yes, Brandon Clarke, the guy the Lakers should be targetting.

Comparisons are Millsap and Siakam.

If you fancy yourself a contender you'll need a tall who can defend the perimeter for guys like Durant and Giannis.

4 for 8&10

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaxson-hayes
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/brandon-clarke

Ball (28) Beverly (20) Bonga
Kawhi (34) Hart (14)
Kuzma (16) Ingram (32)
Lebron (32) Kuzma (16)
Vet Min (24) Wagner/Hayes/Clarke (24)
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#326 » by taj2133 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 am

Read on Twitter

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/lakers-lebron-james-darius-garland-nba-draft-news/
Heavy
LeBron James & Lakers Coach Seen With NBA Draft Target Darius Garland

By Jeff Smith
Updated May 25, 2019 at 10:04pm
LeBron James Lakers Darius Garland NBA draft
Getty
Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James

Let the 2019 NBA Draft speculation run wild. The latest piece of news which came out will only add even more fuel to the chatter around the Los Angeles Lakers and Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland. While the Lakers hold the No. 4 pick in the draft, they could go a number of ways with the selection, one of which is to select Garland.

After the NBA world took notice of the fact that the former Vanderbilt guard was signed with Klutch Sports, it immediately created a connection to LeBron James. But the Lakers-Garland connection picked up steam when he was spotted with LeBron and Lakers assistant coach Miles Simon at a basketball game for James’ son, Bronny.

The photo was posted on social media, and revealed by Ball is Life.

Deandre Hayton
@YCSNOW23
Darius Garland was with Lebron today, watching Bronny‘s game.

8:23 PM - May 25, 2019

For what it’s worth, Garland is fully expected to be in the mix for the Lakers at No. 4, assuming they don’t opt to trade the pick. But considering all the chatter swirling about a potential trade for either Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal, that looks like somewhat of a longshot at times.

LeBron James’ Comment on Darius Garland Instagram Grabs
This isn’t the first time the connection between LeBron and Garland has grabbed the attention of Lakers fans. Just under a week ago, Garland posted on Instagram about the upcoming NBA draft and James showed him some love by sending a message to the young guard.

Lakers NBA Draft Darius Garland

Although we can’t read into the Instagram comment all that much, the fact that James and Garland were spotted together at Bronny’s game with Simon is still noteworthy. Even going one step further, Heavy.com’s Jon Adams pointed out that Garland was at the Muhammad Ali documentary which LeBron and Maverick Carter produced.

As the above photo shows, Garland just so happened to be at last week’s HBO premiere of the Muhammad Ali documentary “What’s My Name?”, produced by James along with Maverick Carter.

This obviously doesn’t lock the former Vanderbilt guard in as the Lakers pick, but the fact he’s already built a friendship with LeBron could certainly play a role in the outcome.

Darius Garland’s Stats & Career With Vanderbilt
Lakers fans only have a small sample size of Garland’s play to go off when evaluating him as a draft prospect. He missed nearly the entire 2018-19 college basketball season due to a meniscus injury in his left knee. After playing in five games, Garland underwent surgery which ended his year.

In the five games the 19-year-old suited up for, he posted averages of 16.2 points, 2.6 assists and 3.8 rebounds. It’s worth noting that those marks were impacted by the fact that he only played two minutes in the game against Kent State when the season-ending injury occurred.

One performance from Garland certainly stood out, and it came during a 79-70 win over Liberty during Vanderbilt’s fourth game of the year. Garland racked up 33 points on 12-of-18 shooting while knocking down 5-of-8 from beyond the arc. He also added four rebounds and four assists for good measure.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#327 » by Danny Darko » Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 am

^thank you for links and citations!

I like Garland... Hunter probably serves a more immediate use, but I think Garland has a better career ceiling than RJ.
I see these to akin to the decision between a Horry/Battier type (Hunter) and a Nick Van Exel type(Garland).

My Hunter basement is MKG, and my Garland basement is Javaris Crittenton
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#328 » by Landsberger » Sun May 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Danny Darko wrote:^thank you for links and citations!

I like Garland... Hunter probably serves a more immediate use, but I think Garland has a better career ceiling than RJ.
I see these to akin to the decision between a Horry/Battier type (Hunter) and a Nick Van Exel type(Garland).

My Hunter basement is MKG, and my Garland basement is Javaris Crittenton

Meanwhile the pick has the same value before the draft no matter what..... I'd trade it for a known at this point with LeBron's age and what we're trying to do.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#329 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:05 pm

I think Lakers will take Hunter with the 4th pick.

Garland is a Rich Paul client and they are just bumping up his stocks. Lakers won't take him.

Hunter gives Lakers the best options for either keeping him or trading him. It's the most realistic option and probably happens.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#330 » by TyCobb » Sun May 26, 2019 6:25 pm

That would be perfect.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#331 » by magicbesteva » Sun May 26, 2019 7:13 pm

I don’t why people are so high on Hunter. The more I watch him the more I don’t like him with the 4th pick. He might be “NBA ready” but his game screams roll player to me. Hunter looks like a Maurice Harkless type of player.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#332 » by TyCobb » Sun May 26, 2019 7:18 pm

I watched him all year, live... not youtube clips. When you watch him in game moments, in real time, you continuously saw the best player on the court.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#333 » by ROballer » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 pm

So what? You could say the same thing about dozens of other prospects, doesn't mean **** in the end.

Culver. Culver. Culver. Culver. Culver. Culver.

I will be laughing my ass off when it happens. No chance he slips past us when the personal workouts happen. I'm actually scared he might surpass Barrett.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#334 » by ROballer » Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Not to mention the input is wrong.

I love you Ty, but if you're telling me he was the best player on the court from the Sweet Sixteen to the Final Four(3 consecutive games), I want some of the **** you're smoking.

I won't pretend I watched a lot of the RS games but I can probably dig up more games in which he was bailed out by his superior cast.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,034

Post#335 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm

magicbesteva wrote:I don’t why people are so high on Hunter. The more I watch him the more I don’t like him with the 4th pick. He might be “NBA ready” but his game screams roll player to me. Hunter looks like a Maurice Harkless type of player.

I don't know about the Harkless comp, I think he's a bit better than that tier, but I do see the role player yet possibly most NBA ready tag.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#336 » by TyCobb » Sun May 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Hunter:

122.9 ORtg, 57.9 eFG%, 61.8 TS%, 11.8 TORate, 39.9 FTRate, 55% 2PT, 43.8% 3PT with lock down D. 4 game MVP against A competition.

Culver:

106.8 ORtg, 50.5 eFG%, 54.2 TS%, 15.5 TORate, 37.8 FTRate, 52.6% 2PT, 30.4% 3PT with lock down D. 4 game MVP against A competition.

It should be pretty obvious who can help the Lakers the most given the state of the franchise.
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#337 » by magicbesteva » Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 pm

RamonSessions7 wrote:
magicbesteva wrote:I don’t why people are so high on Hunter. The more I watch him the more I don’t like him with the 4th pick. He might be “NBA ready” but his game screams roll player to me. Hunter looks like a Maurice Harkless type of player.

I don't know about the Harkless comp, I think he's a bit better than that tier, but I do see the role player yet possibly most NBA ready tag.

6’8” tweener that can defend and stretch the floor. Do all the dirty work is what I mean.

As far as Culver no thank you! No athleticism, slow release, okay shooter, and can’t really create for himself. He’s my least favorite of the players the Lakers should look at.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

All things number 4. Trade or draft? Let the rumors begin  

Post#338 » by myersia » Sun May 26, 2019 8:37 pm

taj2133 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/lakers-lebron-james-darius-garland-nba-draft-news/
Heavy

By Jeff Smith
Getty

Let the 2019 NBA Draft speculation run wild. The latest piece of news which came out will only add even more fuel to the chatter around the Los Angeles Lakers and Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland. While the Lakers hold the No. 4 pick in the draft, they could go a number of ways with the selection, one of which is to select Garland.

After the NBA world took notice of the fact that the former Vanderbilt guard was signed with Klutch Sports, it immediately created a connection to LeBron James. But the Lakers-Garland connection picked up steam when he was spotted with LeBron and Lakers assistant coach Miles Simon at a basketball game for James’ son, Bronny.

Deandre Hayton
@YCSNOW23

For what it’s worth, Garland is fully expected to be in the mix for the Lakers at No. 4, assuming they don’t opt to trade the pick. But considering all the chatter swirling about a potential trade for either Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal, that looks like somewhat of a longshot at times.

This isn’t the first time the connection between LeBron and Garland has grabbed the attention of Lakers fans. Just under a week ago, Garland posted on Instagram about the upcoming NBA draft and James showed him some love by sending a message to the young guard.

Although we can’t read into the Instagram comment all that much, the fact that James and Garland were spotted together at Bronny’s game with Simon is still noteworthy. Even going one step further, Heavy.com’s Jon Adams pointed out that Garland was at the Muhammad Ali documentary which LeBron and Maverick Carter produced.

As the above photo shows, Garland just so happened to be at last week’s HBO premiere of the Muhammad Ali documentary “What’s My Name?”, produced by James along with Maverick Carter.

This obviously doesn’t lock the former Vanderbilt guard in as the Lakers pick, but the fact he’s already built a friendship with LeBron could certainly play a role in the outcome.

Lakers fans only have a small sample size of Garland’s play to go off when evaluating him as a draft prospect. He missed nearly the entire 2018-19 college basketball season due to a meniscus injury in his left knee. After playing in five games, Garland underwent surgery which ended his year.

In the five games the 19-year-old suited up for, he posted averages of 16.2 points, 2.6 assists and 3.8 rebounds. It’s worth noting that those marks were impacted by the fact that he only played two minutes in the game against Kent State when the season-ending injury occurred.

One performance from Garland certainly stood out, and it came during a 79-70 win over Liberty during Vanderbilt’s fourth game of the year. Garland racked up 33 points on 12-of-18 shooting while knocking down 5-of-8 from beyond the arc. He also added four rebounds and four assists for good measure.

I wonder if we really do draft garland because pelicans want Lonzo included now for AD? Meaning he becomes our starting pg

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#339 » by BEazy » Sun May 26, 2019 9:24 pm

I want Lakers to stay away from RJ Barrett. I don't need to see Steve Nash's sorry sack of trash around the Lakers. RJ is Nash's God Son, if you didn't know.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#340 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 pm

myersia wrote:
Spoiler:
taj2133 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Heavy

By Jeff Smith
Getty

Deandre Hayton
@YCSNOW23

I wonder if we really do draft garland because pelicans want Lonzo included now for AD? Meaning he becomes our starting pg

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The pick and Lonzo would go to the pelicans. Lonzo plays the same speed as Zion and would be ideal in Gentry's system. The Pels will want Hunter because he's the 3 and D wing they need.

Lonzo, Jrue, Hunter, Zion, Randle

Imagine Lonzo playing full court with Zion and Randle. Ingram probably starts when they move Jrue which I'll expect they do, I think Ingram works better as an SG or a small wing until he bulks.

Lonzo, Ingram, Hunter, Zion, Randle
Bench: whatever Jrue gets them

That's a long, athletic lineup. Scary defensive potential, Randle the only weak point and he's improving.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers