Media Thread - Nehm with new podcast - page 11

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

askdavescat
Senior
And1: 43

Re: Media Thread 

Post#61 » by askdavescat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
CountMe3Outs wrote:Speaking of WSSP, a feud has developed between (CBS Sports Radio's) Scott Ferrall & crew vs. Chuck and Winkler (mainly Winkler) re Bucks...

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-19-19-ferrall-bench-ferrall-milwaukee-vs-carver-high-update

I’m not sure how that Ferrall guys has kept that national overnight gig for so long. Whenever I hear that voice come on the air, I literally rush to switch the station. It literally is the worst announcer voice in the country. Like gravel being scrapped on glass.

I haven't really listened to Ferrall in like 30+ years, but I do remember back when he was on the old 'One-On-One Sports' network, he did one of the funniest bits I've ever heard. He was doing his version of a minor league hockey radio broadcast, and it went:

(Imagine his gravely voice) '...knee to the head, knee to the groin, knee to the head, knee to the groin, knee to the head, knee to the groin, ....).

I 'bout fell out of my car laughing.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#62 » by BuckHole » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:45 pm

crkone wrote:
ackypoo wrote:was thinking about creating a thread to list all the bucks podcasts the other day.

say i want to listen to a post game 1 podcast on monday morning, what do i do?

Locked on Bucks

The Gyro Step

Brew Hoop

Occasionally the JS Bucks Podcast

There are other national ones that will review the playoff games too

Also, the last Win in 6 podcast with Adam and Jordan was damn good.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#63 » by Perishable517 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 pm

JEIS wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:Literally just heard on The Fan

“Has an 8 seed ever beaten a 1 seed?”

Soon followed by

“Has an 8 seed ever been to the finals?”

No it wasn’t Leroy or Gary. Maybe I’m being too harsh but I was just like come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.. They were talking about If Jason Kidd deserves a ring if the bucks win it this year. Fans were calling in saying he does because of the player he turned Giannis into.

Ick.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#64 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:05 pm

LittleRooster wrote:Literally just heard on The Fan

“Has an 8 seed ever beaten a 1 seed?”

Soon followed by

“Has an 8 seed ever been to the finals?”

No it wasn’t Leroy or Gary. Maybe I’m being too harsh but I was just like come on

Maybe my best decision ever has been to stop listening to WSSP.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#65 » by Perishable517 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Renzen wrote:https://youtu.be/HWXR2Ad2Ots

Eh, I hope that works... it's to the video I mentioned

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using RealGM mobile app

I don't think they said anything crazy, at all. Yah, I'm a homer but I see it going to 5, that's it.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#66 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm

My favorite national media take on this series came from Barkley:

"There gonna be some adversity comin' soon, and he's from Greece."

Though I think Middleton quietly is slipping under the radar considering he normally crushes Boston and Marcus Smart isn't there to defend him.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#67 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:13 pm

I think David Dunn mentioned the Win In 6 pod, I gave it a try and have really enjoyed it. I can listen to Adam ramble on for hours.

#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#68 » by HKPackFan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:18 am

So I was surveying the media comments post round 1.

Granted a few flipped to Milwaukee over Boston which made me happy.

And I was thinking they can't use, "they've/Giannis never won a playoff series." anymore.

Then I heard, "they've/Giannis only won 1 playoff series.". As there reason to pick Boston :banghead:

Richard Jefferson said "this was a bad round one for the Bucks. They didn't get challenged." :banghead:

Seriously, one of the most lopsided sweeps in playoff history.... And you can use mental gymnastics to say it was bad, they never got challenged, so they aren't ready for Boston. WTF
#FreeChuckDiesel
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#69 » by blazza18 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 am

Jefferson loves to hear the sound of his own voice so I generally don't bother with him but he's higher on the Bucks than most and I don't disagree with his opinion on the Detroit series. It was a playoff series without us needing to get out on January mode. You get that type of series when you're the one seed.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#70 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 am

97.3 got me to stop listening to WSSP - and pretty much exclusively only 97.3 now - will the exception of Homer and Gabe from time to time
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#71 » by crkone » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:11 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I think David Dunn mentioned the Win In 6 pod, I gave it a try and have really enjoyed it. I can listen to Adam ramble on for hours.

They were VERY confident on the last pod in regards to beating the Celtics.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,433

Post#72 » by emunney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 pm

blazza18 wrote:Jefferson loves to hear the sound of his own voice so I generally don't bother with him but he's higher on the Bucks than most and I don't disagree with his opinion on the Detroit series. It was a playoff series without us needing to get out on January mode. You get that type of series when you're the one seed.

Frankly the fact that Indiana without Dipo qualifies as a worthy test for the Celtics says much more about the Celtics than anything that could be said of the Bucks after clobbering a similar quality team on a scale rarely seen.

This series is not going to be a cakewalk because the Celtics are going to do everything they can to junk it up and Stevens is no fool. But anybody who has the Celtics as anything other than severe underdogs is **** high.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#73 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I think David Dunn mentioned the Win In 6 pod, I gave it a try and have really enjoyed it. I can listen to Adam ramble on for hours.

Those are my homies so I'm biased, but I really like the balance between just reciting numbers and actual real analysis. Like, they make predictions and think deeply about the game, but it's also really funny and silly sometimes.

I like Eric also, (really we just disagree on his Middleton nonsense) but that's why I need a balance. I can't imagine listening to local radio even if I still lived in Milwaukee
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#74 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed May 8, 2019 1:29 am

Is it me or did every single NBA podcast start referencing “the dunker spot” just this year? Now everyone makes mention of it once an episode. Feel like it’s something Nate Duncan said and no one has stopped repeating.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,571

Post#75 » by chonestown » Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 pm

The Ringer has finally taken a break from breathless GoT coverage and put together a great piece on what might be the final days of Marv Albert's TNT tenure which doubles as a piece that identifies what makes a great PBP man. Will this dovetail into a post that will take swipes at Kevin Harlan? Reader, it will.

Here's the piece in full:
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/24/18638275/marv-albert-tnt-playoffs-career-announcer

Marv used to be my favorite PBP. No less than Chuck D based his rapping cadence on Marv's delivery. Alas, Father Time is undefeated and Marv is varying degrees of serviceable at this point. Here's a rundown of what made him great:

A play-by-play announcer’s greatest talent is their ability to get the words out of their mouth before the rest of us can even think them—and have those words be correct and perfectly pitched and, once in a while, in an odd way, kind of beautiful.

Kevin Harlan is a frequent punching bag for me and his lack of dynamics is foremost among the reason he personally grates. If everything is dialed up to 11, where do you go when that moment requires something special? At his best, Marv could be musical. The screamers merely have one note.

Or:
Albert had earned the exclamation point, because he hadn’t over-called the pedestrian moments that had come before. He knew the difference, instinctively.

Additionally:
He does this subtle thing where he speaks in italics. “Giannis goes right to the rim. … Gasol from downtown. … Here’s Lowry—for three.” The trick allows him to underline a piece of action without doing the cheap thing of shouting into a microphone.

I've harped on Harlan working on canned spontaneity and whose feel for the game goes little further than matching up player with number of years in the league and/or alma mater. Whether fair or not, my impression of Harlan is he loves broadcasting. Basketball is but a vehicle that allows him to broadcast. As for Marv:

A lot of announcers become the official “voice” of a sport without actually seeming to love it. Albert loves basketball. At 16, he was a Knicks ball boy. His favorite compliment is beautiful: “Middleton, ah, beautifully done.” That non-phony affection for the game helped erase some of the distance between the announcer and the audience.

Anyway, it's really a great piece. Anderson deserves to be the national voice and he's tremendous. I love language, sound and basketball. When it all comes together, it's something else and Marv handled that intersection like no other.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#76 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 pm

I also used to like Marv but the time has come to hang it up. He's embarrassingly bad. It doesn't help that he's teamed up with 2 equally inept announcers (who don't have age as an excuse)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#77 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Chris Webber and (to a slightly lesser extent) Reggie Miller have truly worsened the viewing experience. Webber has this bizarre dark cloud hovering over all of his commentary. Terrible vibes.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#78 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Chris Webber and (to a slightly lesser extent) Reggie Miller have truly worsened the viewing experience. Webber has this bizarre dark cloud hovering over all of his commentary. Terrible vibes.
It sounds like they have skins in the series they're rooting hard for Toronto.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#79 » by paulpressey25 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Chris Webber and (to a slightly lesser extent) Reggie Miller have truly worsened the viewing experience. Webber has this bizarre dark cloud hovering over all of his commentary. Terrible vibes.

Does anyone think Webber is a good announcer? How did this happen?

It’s like Elgin Baylor running the Clips for 25 years.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,972

Post#80 » by Badgerlander » Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

Does anyone think Webber is a good announcer? How did this happen?

It’s like Elgin Baylor running the Clips for 25 years.

Webber is terrible and so is Marv calling Brogdon Ibaka and confusing mirotic with Lopez. Miller is ok. Much rather have Burke and Hubie
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks